PDA

View Full Version : Is this the year of the pitcher?

Brutus
04-05-2012, 07:16 PM
So far in the majors, excluding the Dodgers game, there have been 152 innings pitched. So far there have been a total of 25 runs scored.

That's 1.48 runs per nine innings.

I know it's not a very big sample, but wow.

Dom Heffner
04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
We've seen mostly aces, but yeah, given last year's league ERA of under 4 runs are at a premium.

The bats normally start to catch up a little, too, but if this is the trend, boring.

Captain Hook
04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Jay Bruce is the only N.L. player to hit one out so far!

Tony Cloninger
04-05-2012, 07:30 PM
This has been going on for the last 3 years really......more and more gradually it is getting to be a pitcher's game again.

Brutus
04-05-2012, 07:31 PM
This has been going on for the last 3 years really......more and more gradually it is getting to be a pitcher's game again.

You're definitely right about that. I think they mentioned on the broadcast today that run scoring has actually gone down in five consecutive seasons.

Today was crazy, though.

Tony Cloninger
04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
You're definitely right about that. I think they mentioned on the broadcast today that run scoring has actually gone down in five consecutive seasons.

Today was crazy, though.

I think the 4th-5th starters are still below the levels of the 80's and early 90's...but most Top 3 in a rotation are miles ahead of the 1997-2007 era.

Halladay and Verlander could have gone 9 easily IMO.... Verlander had easy movement and barely looked taxed at 106 pitches or so after 8.

Roy always looks like he could go 10 if he had to.

*BaseClogger*
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I honestly think it's more the era of the fielder than the pitcher...

Tom Servo
04-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I honestly think it's more the era of the fielder than the pitcher...
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0ak1whLJ71rp7k5oo1_500.jpg

*BaseClogger*
04-05-2012, 09:45 PM
:laugh:

Caveat Emperor
04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
One has to wonder, at least somewhat, whether steroids were leveling the playing field a bit during the late-80s to mid-00s as pitchers began to specialize more and more.

RedlegJake
04-05-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm old fashioned I guess but I'm glad for the change. I was bored, frankly, with the Barry Bonds-Mark McGwire-Sammy Sosa era of softball/baseball when everyone including Brady Anderson was blasting 50 homers and every game was a home run fest. I was a teen and played high school ball in the Maloney-Koufax pitcher dominated era of the sixties so maybe that's why my bias is for pitching-defense-speed's important kind of baseball that values the guy with a glove and the basestealer as well as the Hank Aarons and Frank Robbys of the world. Not that I don't love me a 3 run homer and understand old Earl Weaver's philosophy about offense but there's a lot more excitement to a game that involves a bit of small ball, too, because the pitching is so good you have to claw for a run or two here and there and you can't just ignore the "old" fundamentals. I don't think I want to go back to 80 2-1 and 3-2 games a year for every team but there is a balancing point and I like the game the way it's being played this year and last a lot! There is a bit of everything - pitching, power hitting, base stealing, defense. Everything is important.

RedsManRick
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Amazing what happens when the best pitchers in baseball are all on the mound. Who wants to guess what the average R/G is on Sunday?

jojo
04-05-2012, 11:10 PM
A pitchers duel really only has meaning if it's special. If MLB has become women's softball, then you'd better take a good book to the game with you. On the bright side, parking probably won't be bad.

Brutus
04-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Amazing what happens when the best pitchers in baseball are all on the mound. Who wants to guess what the average R/G is on Sunday?

Kyle Lohse
Justin Masterson
Erik Bedard
Ryan Dempster

Not everyone this week that's pitched thus far is an 'ace' so to speak. Still, I challenge you to find me an opening day in baseball that's produced this kind of run scoring (or lack thereof). I'm confident no matter how hard you try, you'll not find anything like what we've seen these first nine games.

Brutus
04-06-2012, 12:28 AM
BTW I'm hoping this trend continues. Frankly, I got sick of seeing 4-5 home runs a game. Homers lose their meaning when they're launching out of the ballpark so often.

Six NL games and only three homers thus far. Finally homers may start to mean something again.

kaldaniels
04-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Kyle Lohse
Justin Masterson
Erik Bedard
Ryan Dempster

Not everyone this week that's pitched thus far is an 'ace' so to speak. Still, I challenge you to find me an opening day in baseball that's produced this kind of run scoring (or lack thereof). I'm confident no matter how hard you try, you'll not find anything like what we've seen these first nine games.

It has been an interesting set of opening games, but are we really hypothesizing based on a 9 game sample that this is the Year of the Pitcher? Let's give it a month before we start to make assumptions.

Its 9 games.

Brutus
04-06-2012, 02:34 AM
It has been an interesting set of opening games, but are we really hypothesizing based on a 9 game sample that this is the Year of the Pitcher? Let's give it a month before we start to make assumptions.

Its 9 games.

OK maybe "year" of the pitcher is too soon after nine games, but it's still a pretty radical sample yes? I look at these nine games as an extension of what was pretty clearly a pitching-oriented season last year.

We have enough of a sample to know that offense has fallen by the wayside. It's far too early to make definitive conclusions about this year alone, but something tells me the nine games is going to be indicative of the kind of run scoring we're in for the rest of the year.

jojo
04-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Who was the div 1 homerun champ in Women's softball last year? If a HR falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

_Sir_Charles_
04-06-2012, 08:51 AM
OK maybe "year" of the pitcher is too soon after nine games, but it's still a pretty radical sample yes? I look at these nine games as an extension of what was pretty clearly a pitching-oriented season last year.

I look at these 9 games as an example of 9 games where most teams best starters went.

_Sir_Charles_
04-06-2012, 08:53 AM
BTW I'm hoping this trend continues. Frankly, I got sick of seeing 4-5 home runs a game. Homers lose their meaning when they're launching out of the ballpark so often.

Six NL games and only three homers thus far. Finally homers may start to mean something again.

To put things into perspective for you....Paul Janish hit 2 dingers in Louisville's first game. :p

dabvu2498
04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Every gametime temperature from yesterday was in the 40s-50s except @ San Diego.

klw
04-06-2012, 09:05 AM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0ak1whLJ71rp7k5oo1_500.jpg

Has Prince lost weight? Did Bruce lose weight too?

1990REDS
04-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Has Prince lost weight? Did Bruce lose weight too?

During yesterdays game they mentioned that Bruce has lost some weight by cutting out soda and sweets and not eating after 10. As far as Prince goes I have no idea. He still looks large to me.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Speaking of pitching, look at the line posted by the entire Reds organization (from Dayton to the Reds/5 teams) yesterday:

5-0 W/L
45 IP
29 H
6 R
3 ER
14 BB
49 K
.60 ERA