PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Petrino

Hoosier Red
04-06-2012, 08:34 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/arkansas-puts-coach-bobby-petrino-on-administrative-leave-after-crash-with-female-employee/2012/04/06/gIQAvAS3yS_story.html

The story is interesting to me not for the salacious details, but just for the way people continue to think that because a guy is a good football coach, he can be an example of virtuous behavior.

Just once, I'd love for a University President to stand up and say, "Yes this guy's a sleazeball, but dangit he wins football games." If that's not going to happen at Arkansas, I'm not sure where it could happen.

improbus
04-06-2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/arkansas-puts-coach-bobby-petrino-on-administrative-leave-after-crash-with-female-employee/2012/04/06/gIQAvAS3yS_story.html

The story is interesting to me not for the salacious details, but just for the way people continue to think that because a guy is a good football coach, he can be an example of virtuous behavior.

Just once, I'd love for a University President to stand up and say, "Yes this guy's a sleazeball, but dangit he wins football games." If that's not going to happen at Arkansas, I'm not sure where it could happen.

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand the culture of coach worship, especially in college sports. Haven't we seen enough to end it? Paterno, Petrino, Pitino, Tressel, Carroll, Knight, the list goes on and on.

But, it is our fault. We are the ones who put them on the pedestal. We built Paternoville (I wasn't going to attempt the Duke version...). We want to hear them speak. We speculate non stop about their next move. This is our fault.

Here's a thought. Let's start to hold the coaches (and ourselves) to the standard we hold the kids.

Stray
04-06-2012, 10:17 AM
He's an ahole no doubt. I was sure of this after stories from Louisville and how he bailed on the Falcons. He's a married man riding around with a 25 year old engaged woman, in the middle of the afternoon, without a helmet.... Who does that?

I agree that people care too much about people's personal lives in sports, but I think the real issue here is that Bobby Petrino lied to his AD about a mistress who he had just given a job in the athletic department. He won't get fired because he wins and the AD can't do better, but eesh that would make for a sketchy work environment.

bucksfan2
04-06-2012, 11:51 AM
He's an ahole no doubt. I was sure of this after stories from Louisville and how he bailed on the Falcons. He's a married man riding around with a 25 year old engaged woman, in the middle of the afternoon, without a helmet.... Who does that?

I agree that people care too much about people's personal lives in sports, but I think the real issue here is that Bobby Petrino lied to his AD about a mistress who he had just given a job in the athletic department. He won't get fired because he wins and the AD can't do better, but eesh that would make for a sketchy work environment.

Probably more people than we would like to admit.

Petrino is a world class a hole, but that doesn't mean he is a good football coach. He didn't do anything illegal, and if we held every person to as high of standards as we do people in the public light, there would be very few left standing. What Petrino did was immoral and the only people he hurt would be his family as well as the engaged woman's family.

Stray
04-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Probably more people than we would like to admit.

Petrino is a world class a hole, but that doesn't mean he is a good football coach. He didn't do anything illegal, and if we held every person to as high of standards as we do people in the public light, there would be very few left standing. What Petrino did was immoral and the only people he hurt would be his family as well as the engaged woman's family.

I would think the thing threatening his job is that he gave this woman a job in the athletic department after having an affair with her. And then he lied to his AD about it.

That said, I'd be shocked if he were fired. The business is all about winning.

RiverRat13
04-06-2012, 12:31 PM
This is the perfect example of behavior that gets a coach with a 7-5 record fired.

MikeThierry
04-06-2012, 01:04 PM
This guy is the biggest scumbag in college sports. He has constantly lied about things within his career and has gone behind the backs of various administrations. I don't ever wish ill will on an individual but I don't think it's far to say that this guy deserves every bad thing that happens to him. Karma is a real you know what.

15fan
04-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Cheating on his wife with a 25 year old co-worker is one thing.

But his inability to handle a motorcycle? That's definitely grounds for termination.

Especially in a place like Arkansas.

Oh, and if you happen to be reading this Bobby, Arthur Blank asked me to pass this along:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jojo
04-06-2012, 09:24 PM

A head coach is a face of the university and often one of the highest paid state employees in their state. What Petrino did was despicable and Arkansas could ( and may) fire him for cause. A head coach has to be an example of virtuous behavior because it's part of his job description.

Redsfaithful
04-06-2012, 10:03 PM
I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when Mike Zimmer heard about this.

Assembly Hall
04-07-2012, 06:59 AM
A head coach is a face of the university and often one of the highest paid state employees in their state. What Petrino did was despicable and Arkansas could ( and may) fire him for cause. A head coach has to be an example of virtuous behavior because it's part of his job description.

Well said jojo. A lot of universities have conduct codes in the contracts of the coaches. Embarrasing or shameful activities by a coach that make the school look bad can be reasons for termination.

Yachtzee
04-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Imagine being the girl's fiance. It's one thing to find out your betrothed is cheating on you. To have it splashed all over the news is something else.

Newport Red
04-07-2012, 01:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-satiurday/bobby-petrino-admits-affair-arkansas-puts-him-indefinite-042635905.html

Bobby Patrino put on indefinite administrative leave.

DGullett35
04-07-2012, 02:18 PM
The guy was having an affair. I dont see why his job should be in question..He wasn't breaking the law just one of the ten commandments. :)

RiverRat13
04-07-2012, 02:30 PM
The guy was having an affair. I dont see why his job should be in question..He wasn't breaking the law just one of the ten commandments. :)

He created a position on his staff for his mistress. That ain't good. Neither is lying to your AD.

And wasn't an affair part of the justification for forcing Houston Nutt out at Arkansas?

jojo
04-07-2012, 06:57 PM
He created a position on his staff for his mistress. That ain't good. Neither is lying to your AD.

And wasn't an affair part of the justification for forcing Houston Nutt out at Arkansas?

An affair is one thing. Getting human resources involved and then lying to your boss to cover it up is another thing entirely. If those truly are the facts, he's in some really hot water.

RiverRat13
04-07-2012, 10:38 PM
An affair is one thing. Getting human resources involved and then lying to your boss to cover it up is another thing entirely. If those truly are the facts, he's in some really hot water.

I bet he keeps his job. He's Arkansas's best coach since Lou Holtz. Like I said, if he had gone 7-5 he would have already been fired. But things like this tend to be forgiven as long as you're winnin'.

REDblooded
04-08-2012, 10:49 AM
If Arkansas wants to be on the hook for sexual harassment allegations, than sure. They'll keep him around

Assembly Hall
04-08-2012, 11:00 AM
If Arkansas wants to be on the hook for sexual harassment allegations, than sure. They'll keep him around

Morals and ethics go out the window when W's are concerned.

Hoosier Red
04-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Morals and ethics go out the window when W's are concerned.

Not necessarily. In the end its all about $$$. More wins generally lead to more $$$, but in this case, if Petrino's embarrassing actions will lead to lower donations and cause an increase in the risk of HUGE sexual harrassment lawsuits, then he's going to be gone.

Assembly Hall
04-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Not necessarily. In the end its all about $$$. More wins generally lead to more $$$, but in this case, if Petrino's embarrassing actions will lead to lower donations and cause an increase in the risk of HUGE sexual harrassment lawsuits, then he's going to be gone.

I can agree with that to an extent.

RiverRat13
04-08-2012, 02:41 PM

Just perusing the Arkansas boards, I think they'd lose money if they fire him. Their fans are convinced he's a top-5 coach and that they will slip back into mediocrity if they fire him. I'd guess donations will subside if he's gone.

Who would be able to sue for sexual harassment? It seems as if their relationship was prior to her hiring, but maybe that doesn't make a difference.

Assembly Hall
04-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Just perusing the Arkansas boards, I think they'd lose money if they fire him. Their fans are convinced he's a top-5 coach and that they will slip back into mediocrity if they fire him. I'd guess donations will subside if he's gone.

Who would be able to sue for sexual harassment? It seems as if their relationship was prior to her hiring, but maybe that doesn't make a difference.

Exactly right! Personally, I would fire him. But then again, I aint a Razorback fan.

Hoosier Red
04-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Depends on the nature of the relationship. And she was already an employee of the university, though not in the specific role.. Again, it's all speculation, but whenever you have a relationship involving higher level employeees and subordinates, there's room for a suit.

KronoRed
04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Fired.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7798429/bobby-petrino-return-arkansas-razorbacks-coach-sources-say
Guess lying to your boss is a bad move.

Of course this will just hurt Arkansas, Petrino will pack up and be running some other program within a year.

jojo
04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
This isn't a surprise as Petrino gave Arkansas little choice.

jmac
04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
In a side related note:
Just listening to 84 WHAS radio and they mentioned Arkansas may want to go after Strong as he is from SEC "and" from Arkansas. Dont know if they meant lived there , born there or what. They were saying Strong hasnt been happy with media coverage of U of L's spring football.

WVRed
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Fired.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7798429/bobby-petrino-return-arkansas-razorbacks-coach-sources-say
Guess lying to your boss is a bad move.

Of course this will just hurt Arkansas, Petrino will pack up and be running some other program within a year.

I doubt it. This is a Larry Eustachy-esque move. He may recover, but it will be at a mid-major or as an offensive coordinator somewhere. Basically, he's starting over.

As for Strong, he is a native of Arkansas but has no ties to Fayetteville. The assistant will likely coach the team throughout this season and who knows after next season.

jojo
04-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I doubt it. This is a Larry Eustachy-esque move. He may recover, but it will be at a mid-major or as an offensive coordinator somewhere. Basically, he's starting over.

As for Strong, he is a native of Arkansas but has no ties to Fayetteville. The assistant will likely coach the team throughout this season and who knows after next season.

Gus Malzahn will likely get a LONG look after this season...

Petrino is going to land on his feet.

KronoRed
04-10-2012, 09:34 PM

Nah, he may end up at a smaller school but he will be the head coach, immoral behavior gets forgotten about faster then NCAA violations.

Roy Tucker
04-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Petrino has burned an awful lot of bridges behind him. I think he's going to have problems getting recommendations from previous employers.

WVRed
04-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Petrino has burned an awful lot of bridges behind him. I think he's going to have problems getting recommendations from previous employers.

My feelings exactly. The way he left the Falcons was despicable, and the situation at Arkansas makes me think the guy needs a major reality check.

I'd say Arkansas will have a decision to make with their coaching search. Malzahn is a HS coaching legend in Arkansas and is just now getting a crack at it as a head coach in college at Arkansas State. Is Malzahn ready though to be a coach in the SEC?

On a side note, there are some UK fans wanting to get Petrino as head coach if Joker is canned at the end of the season. It's not going to happen, as Barnhardt won't let it. Supposedly the two don't exchange Christmas cards.

KronoRed
04-11-2012, 01:02 AM

One would think so, but he torched the falcons and Louisville and had Arkansas ready to hire him.

Maybe he and Malzahn can just change jobs :laugh:

RiverRat13
04-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Petrino could probably get another BCS job, but it won't be a premier one.

Roy Tucker
04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
At first I thought any AD would have to be nuts to rehire Petrino.

But then I started thinking that, really, the one thing he did very wrong was lie to his boss.

Sure, an affair is a very bad and very damaging thing, but they happen all the time. If he would have come clean with his AD and told him the whole story, they would have had a press conference with a "good wife" standing beside him and Petrino baring his soul (like he actually has one), and he would have stayed the Arkansas coach.

But he lied to his boss and made him look very bad and that is not a good thing to do if you want to remain a member of the employment continuation club.

He'll lay low for a while and resurface at some mid-major in a year or two. He'll confess that his soul has been cleansed and he's a changed man and blah blah blah. But the man can build a winning football team and that will trump all to somebody.

jojo
04-11-2012, 08:56 AM

But then I started thinking that, really, the one thing he did very wrong was lie to his boss.

Sure, an affair is a very bad and very damaging thing, but they happen all the time. If he would have come clean with his AD and told him the whole story, they would have had a press conference with a "good wife" standing beside him and Petrino baring his soul (like he actually has one), and he would have stayed the Arkansas coach.

But he lied to his boss and made him look very bad and that is not a good thing to do if you want to remain a member of the employment continuation club.

He'll lay low for a while and resurface at some mid-major in a year or two. He'll confess that his soul has been cleansed and he's a changed man and blah blah blah. But the man can build a winning football team and that will trump all to somebody.

The reason he was canned centered upon how he hired his mistress and the benefits she received.

Assembly Hall
04-11-2012, 08:57 AM

LOL....but you are right. Somebody will hire him that needs him. He didnt get fired because of his coaching ability, he got fired because he is a sad individual.

Roy Tucker
04-11-2012, 09:13 AM
The reason he was canned centered upon how he hired his mistress and the benefits she received.

Yeah, that's the reason they gave.

The one thing I've learned about the world is that the Big Guys do whatever they want. And if they want something to happen, it happens.

If Petrino would have come clean with his boss, they would have concocted some story and public confessions that would have left Petrino as coach in some vague probatinary status. He wins football games in a big conference that makes a lot of money and those kinds of guys are hard to find. But he lied to his boss and publicly embarassed him and that is the real unpardonable sin.

RiverRat13
04-11-2012, 09:27 AM

The one thing I've learned about the world is that the Big Guys do whatever they want. And if they want something to happen, it happens.

If Petrino would have come clean with his boss, they would have concocted some story and public confessions that would have left Petrino as coach in some vague probatinary status. He wins football games in a big conference that makes a lot of money and those kinds of guys are hard to find. But he lied to his boss and publicly embarassed him and that is the real unpardonable sin.

Man, I don't know. He left Arkansas open for litigation by hiring her without disclosing their relationship. There were 159 applicants for that job, a public job at that. I think he'd still be the coach if she was a 25 year old teacher or accountant and Petrino didn't disclose she was on the bike to Long. I think jojo is right on this one.

jojo
04-11-2012, 09:47 AM

I very seriously doubt this. Petrino broke some very important rules that would get college presidents fired. Arkansas basically had no choice given the details that have been reported.

Assembly Hall
04-11-2012, 09:57 AM
I very seriously doubt this. Petrino broke some very important rules that would get college presidents fired. Arkansas basically had no choice given the details that have been reported.

I agree 100%. I would also like to add that what happened at Penn St and Syracuse might have factored into the equation.

RedFanAlways1966
04-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Isn't this the same AD (the boss, Jeff Long, with Ohio roots) that underhandedly interviewed and hired him while he was under contract to the Falcons? No different that the "dirt bags" at Auburn that underhandedly interviewed him while he under contract with Louisville. Petrino is a dirt bag and so are those who interview him secretly. That AD needs to get canned as well IMO.

Hoosier Red
04-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Man, I don't know. He left Arkansas open for litigation by hiring her without disclosing their relationship. There were 159 applicants for that job, a public job at that. I think he'd still be the coach if she was a 25 year old teacher or accountant and Petrino didn't disclose she was on the bike to Long. I think jojo is right on this one.

While that's true, none of it comes out if he doesn't try to impress his mistress with the size of his Harley.

The reason these stories like this and Tiger Woods are so viciously enjoyable to the public is that these guys have all the power in the world. Whatever they want, they get. But the more they take advantage of that power, the shakier the ground they stand upon becomes. And when they fall, they fall fast and furious and in front of everyone.

MWM
04-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Was at the dentist yesterday when something about him came on the TV in the ceiling. She said he used to be a patient of hers when he was a coach for the Jags. Apparently he lived in the same community I live in just a few blocks away. Said he was very nice but very quiet with great kids. :)

jojo
04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
He apparently has a great family which he has done a tremendous amount of harm to given his choices. I have a real hard time reveling in his troubles.

BTW, alot of people I talk to who have interacted with Petrino do not paint him as a person drunk on power and craving adolation. I've also heard that Petrino wasn't showing off with his mistress on a harley but rather they had been caught by her fiance and the ride was a "the jig is up, the news is out, they've finally found me, The renegade who had it made retrieved for a bounty" thing. In other words, his AD was likely going to learn about the reasons Petrino was fired (the innappropriate hiring) regardless of whether the motorcycle crash occurred or not.

dabvu2498
04-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I'll admit it. I laughed when I read this:

When your cable goes out, you can’t study game film.

When you can’t study game film, you lose to Alabama.

When you lose to Alabama, you get depressed.

When you get depressed, you go out and buy a Harley.

When you buy a Harley, you meet hot young ex-volleyball players.

When you meet hot young ex-volleyball players, you go on joyrides.

When you go on joyrides, you end up in a roadside ditch.

Don’t end up in a roadside ditch.

RedsBaron
04-13-2012, 11:37 AM

When your cable goes out, you can’t study game film.

When you can’t study game film, you lose to Alabama.

Don’t end up in a roadside ditch.
That made me laugh too. :laugh:

Hoosier Red
04-13-2012, 12:05 PM
He apparently has a great family which he has done a tremendous amount of harm to given his choices. I have a real hard time reveling in his troubles.

BTW, alot of people I talk to who have interacted with Petrino do not paint him as a person drunk on power and craving adolation. I've also heard that Petrino wasn't showing off with his mistress on a harley but rather they had been caught by her fiance and the ride was a "the jig is up, the news is out, they've finally found me, The renegade who had it made retrieved for a bounty" thing. In other words, his AD was likely going to learn about the reasons Petrino was fired (the innappropriate hiring) regardless of whether the motorcycle crash occurred or not.

While it may be true that he was about to be found out. The power to simply hire someone, pay $20K above the last person without anyone even raising an eyebrow shows a pretty serious amount of power.

I'm not sure how he was expecting to out run the accusations on his Harley, but that to me shows a judgement emboldened by power.

jojo
04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
While it may be true that he was about to be found out. The power to simply hire someone, pay $20K above the last person without anyone even raising an eyebrow shows a pretty serious amount of power.

I'm not sure how he was expecting to out run the accusations on his Harley, but that to me shows a judgement emboldened by power.

It seems more like the behavior of someone with lots to hide rather than someone emboldened by power.

cumberlandreds
04-13-2012, 01:43 PM

When your cable goes out, you canít study game film.

When you canít study game film, you lose to Alabama.

Donít end up in a roadside ditch.

:laugh: That's one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

Hoosier Red
04-13-2012, 01:47 PM
It seems more like the behavior of someone with lots to hide rather than someone emboldened by power.

That's true. Just breathtaking in retrospect how one thinks he's going to get away with it.

jojo
04-13-2012, 01:54 PM
That's true. Just breathtaking in retrospect how one thinks he's going to get away with it.

I can't imagine how anyone with a spouse and four children could do something like Petrino did if they actually paused and thought it through first.

RedsBaron
04-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I can't imagine how anyone with a spouse and four children could do something like Petrino did if they actually paused and thought it through first.

All the blood which should have been in his brain allowing him to think it through was apparently in another part of his body.

Assembly Hall
04-14-2012, 08:37 AM

It wasnt the first time something like this has happened, and it wont be the last. As the above poster said, he wasnt thinking with the right part of his anatomy.

Roy Tucker
04-14-2012, 10:12 AM
All the blood which should have been in his brain allowing him to think it through was apparently in another part of his body.

Yeah, I was going to say it depends on which head does the thinking.

Scrap Irony
04-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I have a friend who works in Fayettville, and he said that, at the beginning of this mess, at least 90% of Razorback fans wanted Petrino back. Once Long's news conference came out, that number dropped to less than one in four. (The $20,000 didn't help.)

Interesting, that.

Also interesting that Petrino won't sue to keep some of that massive payout. He's leaving it compeltely alone.

WVRed
04-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I was going to say it depends on which head does the thinking.

I've read on another message board that when Petrino crashed the motorcycle, it was on a straight stretch for about three miles. While keeping this board family-friendly, one can use their imagination to figure out how a man could crash a motorcycle on a straight stretch.

WVRed
04-14-2012, 09:41 PM
I have a friend who works in Fayettville, and he said that, at the beginning of this mess, at least 90% of Razorback fans wanted Petrino back. Once Long's news conference came out, that number dropped to less than one in four. (The $20,000 didn't help.)

Interesting, that.

Also interesting that Petrino won't sue to keep some of that massive payout. He's leaving it compeltely alone.

There was an interesting article I read yesterday comparing Bobby Petrino to Rick Pitino.

Two major differences between the two:

1. Pitino when he was confronted with it fessed up to everything. Petrino lied to his boss.

2. Pitino paid Karen Sypher from his own personal funds while Petrino did it through a state paid job.

Hoosier Red
04-17-2012, 12:44 AM
I've read on another message board that when Petrino crashed the motorcycle, it was on a straight stretch for about three miles. While keeping this board family-friendly, one can use their imagination to figure out how a man could crash a motorcycle on a straight stretch.

Best scene from the movie "Parenthood" the police officer asks them what happened and Steve Martin says to his wife "why don't you show him honey?"