PDA

View Full Version : I gotta feeling......

Vottomatic
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I've had it since the end of the 2011 season. And I felt it, strongly, again yesterday.

Cueto - 7 strong innings
Madson out for the season - Marshall - 1 IP, 2 K's, and he made them look stupid.
Chapman - 1 IP, 2 K's........and he looks like a totally different pitcher and still is dominant.

Votto didn't do much of anything.......BUT.......

Rolen = after botching the bunt play in the 1st inning - he turned in 2 plays only Rolen could make. Then he doubles setting up a key run scored. This is a good sign.

Bruce - after hitting 2 previous at-bats to CF, he finally drills one and shows us all what to expect much of the season ahead.

Ludwick - key double to add insurance. Solid in LF.

Heisey - is there any better Pinch Hitter in baseball? Another key insurance run.

In terms of maturity, this team has reached it. I'm really impressed with their demeanor and attitude. From the off season to Spring Training until now...........this team gets it. Nothing is going to stop them. This will be a fun season, similar to 1990.

lollipopcurve
04-06-2012, 09:39 AM
I have a good feeling too. Still, luck -- basically in the form of health -- will play a role.

Love the way Bruce looks this year. People can say what they want, but I am convinced he needed to be in better shape, which is the most visible sign of a guy being truly dedicated. Not saying Bruce was a slacker or anything, I just think he felt his talent could do most of the work. If he wants to be great, he can't see it that way -- he has to see it more like Votto does. 2012 may be the year for that transformation.

Homer Bailey
04-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Remember, the Reds were 5-0 and on top of the world after five games last year. As fun as it is to get excited about an opening day win, it means the same as a business day special win in June. I'm excited about this team, but in the grand scheme, one game really doesn't mean anything.

Vottomatic
04-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Remember, the Reds were 5-0 and on top of the world after five games last year. As fun as it is to get excited about an opening day win, it means the same as a business day special win in June. I'm excited about this team, but in the grand scheme, one game really doesn't mean anything.

I understand where your coming from and completely ready to eat my words. I'm 46 years old and my family had Reds season tickets at Crosley Field, back in the 50's, all the way through the Riverfront years until GABP opened. Huge Reds fans are all my family.

I think attitude can go a long way to reaping success.

I sensed, not only the frustration of the fans, after last season, but with the ballplayers too. Here they were coming off a 2010 playoff appearance where they appeared to just be happy to be there. Reminds me of the early 70's Reds teams.

This team got a taste and then pee-ed away last season with injuries and some complacency. So did management.

One game down and I'm already proclaiming them the team to beat. But I do see something different with this team. And it's not simply because of 1 game. It's an attitude that I can sense.

Maybe I need a TV show called Cincinnati Dude, where I show my psychic abilities? Hahaha. But seriously. I sense a purpose and a drive that hasn't been there in previous years.

I hope continues and am looking forward to this season.

_Sir_Charles_
04-06-2012, 10:04 AM

killjoy. :p

membengal
04-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I remember the 9-0 Opening Day win over Atlanta in 1980. Coming off of the Division title in 1979, I figured it was full speed ahead to the playoffs and another World Series title.

westofyou
04-06-2012, 10:17 AM
1990 was a tad stressful from August on, not really a cake walk

Ghosts of 1990
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a weird feeling too...

I nailed the scoreboard stumper in seconds. A lady randomly asked me at the bar before the game the trivia question "what # did Bench start out with the Reds as?" I had no clue. 53 popped in my head. Nailed it. Then the Reds played a ho-hum business as usual game against a team that came in angry. It has special year written all over it

edabbs44
04-06-2012, 10:24 AM

http://humarashid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/debbie-downer-1.png

M2
04-06-2012, 10:29 AM
1990 was a tad stressful from August on, not really a cake walk

Yep, the starting pitching was falling apart and the lineup went into a major slump. Norm Charlton played savior in the rotation and Eric Davis donned a Superman cape during the last month of the season.

traderumor
04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Something that was fun about yesterday is that the team came out and took care of business in the first opportunity to do so. It is one game, doesn't mean anything in the grand schemes, but on the 10th anniversary of GAB, where the inaugural game was a good ole-fashioned butt-kicking by the lowly Pirates, it sure does feel good. :)

traderumor
04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Yep, the starting pitching was falling apart and the lineup went into a major slump. Norm Charlton played savior in the rotation and Eric Davis donned a Superman cape during the last month of the season.

Hi M2 :beerme:

Hoosier Red
04-06-2012, 01:07 PM

hush :p

The Voice of IH
04-06-2012, 01:11 PM

:censored:

westofyou
04-06-2012, 02:04 PM
The 76 team was the only team in my life that I was convinced was destined to win it all, and that's in all of professional sports. Back then there were two certainties, the Reds would be great and Moeller would destroy everyone

RedlegJake
04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Young team comes on wins a title, fails in the final championship run. Next season the youth falters, slumps. Team drops way back. Next year the team makes a dramatic trade in the off season, makes a couple big roster changes, that summer the young team and its revamped roster go rampaging and win the pennant. Youth wins, falters, matures and wins again. See beginning years of BRM. 1970-71-72. A repeating story across most team sports, although I'm not comparing this team to the BRM but the illustration is apt.

VR
04-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I liked the fact that they put the pressure on early.....and got key hits late to put it out of control. Every position player contributed at least a hit.

Oh, and the pitching. My oh my, the pitching.

Health will be the key....they've got a very, very good roster when healthy.

traderumor
04-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Young team comes on wins a title, fails in the final championship run. Next season the youth falters, slumps. Team drops way back. Next year the team makes a dramatic trade in the off season, makes a couple big roster changes, that summer the young team and its revamped roster go rampaging and win the pennant. Youth wins, falters, matures and wins again. See beginning years of BRM. 1970-71-72. A repeating story across most team sports, although I'm not comparing this team to the BRM but the illustration is apt.The parallels are in place, that's for sure.

buckeyenut
04-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Votto didn't do much of anything.......BUT........
Let's not be too hard on Votto because of the big contract. He did get first hit of game and got an intentional pass. I know he had a couple of other opportunities, but I'll take it if he goes 1-3 with a walk every game of the year.

Homer Bailey
04-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Opening Day sure seems like a long time ago.

Vottomatic
04-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't have a feeling anymore. This team was D.O.A. unfortunately.

Same exact problems for the last 3 years and Walt and Bob have failed to address them.

No true cleanup hitter is the giant mistake.

Homer Bailey
04-14-2012, 08:29 PM

Same exact problems for the last 3 years and Walt and Bob have failed to address them.

This marks two overreactions in a two week span.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk

REDREAD
04-14-2012, 10:22 PM

Oh man, you have to relax.. the team is not going to hit .200 (or whatever they are at) the entire season.

Arroyo pitched a great game yesterday. That's encouraging.
The bullpen has been strong.
When 2011 ended, most were worried about the pitching. That was addressed.
This team was 2nd in runs scored last year, and added Ludwick and Cozart.. they will be fine offensively.

Vottomatic
04-15-2012, 10:22 AM
This marks two overreactions in a two week span.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk

Nah. I just forgot my list of needs after 2010 and during the 2011 offseason.

Cleanup hitter behind Votto was #1.
True LFer was up there on the list.
SS has been luckily figured out.
Bailey still sucks.
Arroyo with a gem that he could have finished the game and Krusty screws it up.
Manager sucks.
Stubbs should be batting 7th or 8th. Huge liability. Terrible.

Same problems, different season. Really surprised ownership and Walt can't see it. I thought they were smarter than this.