PDA

View Full Version : Expecting too much?

64red
04-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Just got home from opening night. I'd sure like some comments from any of you who were there. We saw this way too many times last year; a day off, then a big crowd, and a lack-luster performance from the good guys. You notice things in person that you just don't see on the television broadcast. Votto, Cozart, and Mez seemed to be in the groove, but the rest of the guys looked like they were just going through the motions. No hustle on and off the field between innings and lots of standing around hands on hips in the outfield. Even with the Votto big blast, the general lack of energy and enthusiasm had the big crowd sitting on their collective hands most of the night. Is it too much to expect a professional effort from these guys every time they take the field? Did anyone else see what I saw, or am I expecting too much?

Magdal
04-08-2012, 07:59 AM
That's hard to believe. I would think the Veterans would even be pumped. Has there been any mention of this in the Cincy media?

redsfanmia
04-08-2012, 09:45 AM
If you are expecting more than 80 wins than you are.

Tadasimha
04-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Having a day off right after the first game makes no sense to me and in this instance seems to have sapped some of the positive team energy from Opening Day. I would have much preferred the Reds played on Friday as well. I expect a better performance today.

redsfanmia
04-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Having a day off right after the first game makes no sense to me and in this instance seems to have sapped some of the positive team energy from Opening Day. I would have much preferred the Reds played on Friday as well. I expect a better performance today.

They do that incase opening day is rained or snowed out.

FlyingPig
04-08-2012, 10:42 AM
It's all Dusty's fault.

Jefferson24
04-08-2012, 10:46 AM
It's all Dusty's fault.

I think we all know that already. The question is is it all his fault or does a little bit of the fault lie with the players.

FlyingPig
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I think we all know that already. The question is is it all his fault or does a little bit of the fault lie with the players.

I think it starts with Dusty. But you'd think that Opening Night, with a sellout crowd, and the scent of a successful season would put a little hop in the step of anyone wearing a glove and a pair of spikes.....no matter how much money you make and how good you think you are.

I expect to see the things that were described in the original post around July.

Stray
04-08-2012, 11:16 AM
We just got beat. Nelasco had our guys off balance all night. I didn't see any lack of effort anywhere... I don't really think it matters if they channel their inner Todd Coffey and do full sprints onto the field.

webbbj
04-08-2012, 11:28 AM
overreaction

RedsfaninMT
04-08-2012, 11:42 AM
overreaction

No way! No overreaction! We're two games into the season, and any fan can see exactly how the season will turn out. We are doomed. It's clear the players don't care. It's all Dusty's fault. The players don't care! ;)

This is truly an amazing thread. Sounds to me like Latos cared TOO much seeing his post-game interview.

Let's see how they do against Zambrano. Some of his games have certainly been entertaining. From dominance to meltdown in a couple of pitches. I'd prefer the latter.

LaFlamaBlanca
04-08-2012, 01:54 PM
If Cozart isn't doing jumping jacks in between pitches by May, I'm concerned.

Tadasimha
04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
No way! No overreaction! We're two games into the season, and any fan can see exactly how the season will turn out. We are doomed. It's clear the players don't care. It's all Dusty's fault. The players don't care! ;)

This is truly an amazing thread. Sounds to me like Latos cared TOO much seeing his post-game interview.

Let's see how they do against Zambrano. Some of his games have certainly been entertaining. From dominance to meltdown in a couple of pitches. I'd prefer the latter.

:laugh:

Got right back on the horse today! Nice to have a positive vibe going into the first series of the year against StL

DGullett35
04-08-2012, 05:08 PM
This team will be fine..Expectations are high as they should be. Pitching just let us down last night and that will happen from time to time. Not every game is going to be perfect. I just feel a different attitude from this team compared to last year. The Reds are for real in 2012 IMO

We will know if they are for sure real by May15(at least thats what Rolen said..he said you can tell where a team is headed by that date in the season)

tedies
04-09-2012, 12:30 PM
even if a team is gonna have 90+ wins, you still lose 70 times... its baseball and they lost to a really talented team. we will lose games, and ugly sometimes. Try not to overreact to every game in a 162 game season

jhu1321
04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
This team will be fine..Expectations are high as they should be. Pitching just let us down last night and that will happen from time to time. Not every game is going to be perfect. I just feel a different attitude from this team compared to last year. The Reds are for real in 2012 IMO

We will know if they are for sure real by May15(at least thats what Rolen said..he said you can tell where a team is headed by that date in the season)

Yup. :beerme:

dubc47834
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
This just in....Homer Bailey pitches a perfect game....in spite of Dusty Baker!!!!;)

Mutaman
04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
23,000 in great weather on Easter Sunday? One thing I don't expect is for Red's fans to compete with fans of Milwaukee and St Louis in terms of being a good baseball town.

SidneySlicker
04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
23,000 in great weather on Easter Sunday? One thing I don't expect is for Red's fans to compete with fans of Milwaukee and St Louis in terms of being a good baseball town.

Meh. I think Easter is a deterrent more than something would spike attendance to a baseball game. I've not researched what attendances on Easter Sunday's of the past have been, but with people visiting family and having plans I'm not surprised it would be a small draw to yesterdays game.

Mutaman
04-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Meh. I think Easter is a deterrent more than something would spike attendance to a baseball game. I've not researched what attendances on Easter Sunday's of the past have been, but with people visiting family and having plans I'm not surprised it would be a small draw to yesterdays game.

Do they celebrate Easter in Milwaukee? 33,000. Reds fans need to stop with the excuses and support this team.

texasdave
04-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Do they celebrate Easter in Milwaukee? 33,000. Reds fans need to stop with the excuses and support this team.

Everyone in Milwaukee is going to be turned into a pillar of salt any day now. :)

Mutaman
04-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Everyone in Milwaukee is going to be turned into a pillar of salt any day now. :)

Hopefully not Buzz Williams. Ring Out Ahoya.

KYRedLeg
04-09-2012, 11:23 PM

At no point did I see OP going all "Chicken Little" on the season.

In fact, I read it as a genuine concern about a trend that's carried over from 2011. I had season tickets last year for Friday games, and saw the same exact thing, (but it wasn't just during the inning breaks). Day game on Wednesday, off day on Thursday, and a comatose team on Friday. In addition to seeing Arroyo what seemed like a statistically impossible number of times on Fridays, the whole team just seemed to be going through the motions.

And that translates to the fans in the seats. I remember a game last year where the Reds were down at least 5 to 0, going in to the ninth after a sleeper game. Bruce hit a home run, and the crowds seemed more annoyed that the post-game fireworks were delayed by one more out than anything else.

Latos will be fine. He's from a warmer (and larger) stadium, and I have every faith he be fine now that his debut jitters are over. Bruce is in his May 2011 mode, but I'll be interested in seeing how long he can maintain it. Votto is Votto, and Cozart is inhuman.

They can't carry the team on their own though, and off-days should breed enthusiasm, not drain it.

jwmann2
04-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Just because they didn't look like they werent't trying doesn't mean they weren't. Ever notice how easy they make those outfield catches look, Stubbs especially? Now bring a fan in from the stands and let them try to catch a fly ball.