PDA

View Full Version : Chapman

jhu1321
04-08-2012, 03:37 PM
When do you expect to see him in the rotation? In two outings this year he has looked absolutely dominant. Personally, I'd like to see the conversion sometime around the all star break so he can have a fresh arm for the 2nd half of the season.

bigredmechanism
04-08-2012, 03:58 PM
When do you expect to see him in the rotation? In two outings this year he has looked absolutely dominant. Personally, I'd like to see the conversion sometime around the all star break so he can have a fresh arm for the 2nd half of the season.

I'm with you. I'd like to see him converted later so he can start down the stretch and into the postseason, should we be so fortunate.

DGullett35
04-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I agree with you guys 100%..He can be our David Price from 2008. Im just not so sure he will be put in the rotation..I can see it happening only if Masset comes back and is productive..Hopefully that happens because I think Chapman could be great for 5,6,or maybe 7 innings..That being said he may be our best option out of the pen at the current time, possibly 2nd best option behind Marshall

Peter Gammons was quoted to saying that the Reds still had an interest in Roy Oswalt..I wouldn't object to that, but thats alot of money to spend for MAYBE 20 starts..Hopefully Chapman gets his chance

LaFlamaBlanca
04-08-2012, 04:15 PM
If that does happen, whose spot do you give to him? Not Cueto's, Lato's, or Leake's. What value do Arroyo or Bailey have in the 'pen? And then if you trade one of them, you're looking at Jeff Francis in the starting rotation in case of injuries. Yet Aroldis definitely needs his shot as a starter. Difficult dilemma for the Reds, can argue it both ways.

DGullett35
04-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Yea I dont know who's spot he would take but you can never have enough quality starters and thats the truth..Chapman needs an opportunity and I hope he gets that opportunity with the Reds in 2012..If he doesn't re-sign with us and gets a chance with another team as a starter that may be the biggest regret the front office and Dusty ever have

IamRV
04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
When do you expect to see him in the rotation? ...

Last week.

DGullett35
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
He won't be in this rotation until at least after the all-star break if in 2012 at all. That's just the reality of the situation because Trusty Dusty wants him in the pen. If I'm Walt I put my foot down on this one, and Im one to argue against the front office trying to play coach

Kevin1476
04-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Last week.

LOL! Amen Brother!

jhu1321
04-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Sadly I think it could come at the expense of Leake if Chapman gets in. He's clearly the most versatile of the starting 5. Unless someone is getting hammered on a regular basis which I don't see happening (other than Arroyo) the only other option is Bailey, who evidently can't get warm quick enough to come from the pen. Tough decisions but if Chapman continues to make people look stupid he's got to get a shot this year!

Ironman92
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I agree with you guys 100%..He can be our David Price from 2008. Im just not so sure he will be put in the rotation..I can see it happening only if Masset comes back and is productive..Hopefully that happens because I think Chapman could be great for 5,6,or maybe 7 innings..That being said he may be our best option out of the pen at the current time, possibly 2nd best option behind Marshall

Peter Gammons was quoted to saying that the Reds still had an interest in Roy Oswalt..I wouldn't object to that, but thats alot of money to spend for MAYBE 20 starts..Hopefully Chapman gets his chance

Pitching 1 inning every 3/5 games for $30 million is also a lot of money.

Birdman007
04-08-2012, 11:57 PM
The All-Star break is probably the soonest it will happen. While I don't like it that we have an arm like the sitting in the pen he has to be there until Masset and Bray get back to mid season form otherwise Ondrusek will be worn out in a few months like last year.

texasdave
04-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately, an injury will probably dictate whose place he takes.

LaFlamaBlanca
04-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Pitching 1 inning every 3/5 games for $30 million is also a lot of money.

I know it's hard to think like that, but it's a sunk cost. Have to pay him that whether he's TOR or playing LF hitting cleanup. He clearly offers the most value to the club in the rotation, but like a previous poster stated, really have to wait for Masset and Bray to come around, and then a rotation injury or Arroyo being Arroyo. Too much pitching is a good problem to have.

jhiller21
04-09-2012, 02:05 AM
If inserted into the rotation I just can't see him going more than 4-5 innings. The amount of arm fatigue when a person throws that hard has to be managed, and built up over time.

As impressive as he's been, he needs at least a few months starting in AAA before we try to start him here. Unfortunately right now, we need him in the pen.

Maker_84
04-09-2012, 01:12 PM
If we move Chapman to SP does anyone think he will be better than Cueto right away?

SidneySlicker
04-09-2012, 01:18 PM
If we move Chapman to SP does anyone think he will be better than Cueto right away?

He would have a higher ceiling than Cueto, but in no way would he be immediately better than Johnny.

Stray
04-09-2012, 02:04 PM
I agree with the people saying around the ASB. I also agree that how Masset pitches when he comes back will go a long way in deciding Chapman's fate this year. I'd hate to have to shut him down around August because of innings, so if we could wait till the 2nd half and have him for the homestretch I'd be pretty happy.

S.Wells
04-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Personally I like Chapman in the bullpen. The way I see it he has 2 good pitches. Sure he throws 100+ but once these big league guys see it a few times they will catch up to it. Third time thru the line up could spell disaster for Chapman. I like him pitching the 7-8th every other day. If he establishes his Change up and adds another pitch he could be a great starter. Until then he's a set-up man.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

SidneySlicker
04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Don't get how people think that Chapman is going to be in the rotation by the All Star Break. You don't just go from being a set up guy to being a starter. The arm strength and endurance has to be there. Also nothing will have changed in the bullpen from now until the all star break to change the roles of the bullpen pitchers, so if the plan was for him to be in the starting rotation all along why would they wait half of the season to make the change? I think he's gonna spend the season in the bullpen, and that's a shame.

I just wish they'd quit jerking him around and keep him a starter, even if it means sending him to Louisville. That being said, I thought he was ready to start the season in the rotation. No way Baily or Leake are better right now than Chapman. Just my opinion.

SidneySlicker
04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Personally I like Chapman in the bullpen. The way I see it he has 2 good pitches. Sure he throws 100+ but once these big league guys see it a few times they will catch up to it. Third time thru the line up could spell disaster for Chapman. I like him pitching the 7-8th every other day. If he establishes his Change up and adds another pitch he could be a great starter. Until then he's a set-up man.

He has two out pitches though, which I think is enough to get it done as a starter. His changeup isn't great, but he doesn't need it to be an out pitch, just something to keep hitters guessing.

S.Wells
04-10-2012, 08:29 AM
He has two out pitches though, which I think is enough to get it done as a starter. His changeup isn't great, but he doesn't need it to be an out pitch, just something to keep hitters guessing.

Right but he rarely throws his slider for a strike and the same goes for his change. Hitters sit on the fastball. Give teams a couple trips through the line up and they will have it figured out. If he is going to start he needs some time in Louisville.

malcontent
04-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I thought he struck a guy out the other day with a 90-mph change. Gamecast said "slider", but it dropped down a bit instead of breaking to the right.

The next game someone else noted that he thought Chapman was throwing changes.

If he's got a 90-mph change that he can control....I'd have to say it's time to start him.

I'm afraid we've already seen the best Bailey has to offer. And Badrroyo could be waiting behind the next tree.

texasdave
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
If he's got a 90-mph change that he can control....I'd have to say it's time to start him.

This amazes me. A 90 MPH change.

malcontent
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
This amazes me. A 90 MPH change.
I'm not certain that's what they were.

Need to hear from the source what they were.

markymark69
04-10-2012, 06:24 PM
I think they'll still be a little cautious with him, but it will be sooner rather than later.

Bailey and, Arroyo for that matter (imo) are walking a thin line. The Reds have to get more consistency from both of them, no question about it.

I say at least five more starts and if we are still seeing what we saw - they make the move.