PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Attendance

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Chip R
06-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Attendance at tonight's game was only 16,859. Beautiful weather...school is out...the Reds are in first place. That total is pathetic.

True that. However it was Kid Glove night so there were 5,000 vouchers used for the game. The actual total was a little over 20K. But I agree, Bob.

*BaseClogger*
06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Clevelanders have always supported the Browns and always will. It's northeastern Ohio, it's football country. The only reason the Indians sold out all of those games in the 1990s is because the Browns skipped town.

The problem with the Indians isn't a lack of support. They are among the league leaders in television ratings. People just don't go to the games. It's similar to the problem in Cincinnati--people watch the games from home. It's just a part of the culture and it's a tough habit to break...

*BaseClogger*
06-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Attendance at tonight's game was only 16,859. Beautiful weather...school is out...the Reds are in first place. That total is pathetic.

I believe both Drake and RHCP, two of the biggest acts in music today, were performing in Cincinnati...

camisadelgolf
06-06-2012, 11:29 PM
To be fair, there were other things going on in Cincinnati tonight (http://ecincinnati.com/entertainment/events_new/5013/hexagon-squares-square-dance-club?reqdate=2012-06-6).

In reply to *BaseClogger*, they played RHCP at GABP tonight, so that's OOTQ.

gilpdawg
06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
With Friday being fireworks night, I'd be shocked if that doesn't sell out as well.

Not yet, but looking at the interactive seat map, only the upper few rows of the view level has any seats together available. A halfway decent walkup should have the crowd around 40k I would expect. I passed on view level (20 bucks for view level for weekend games, p'shaw) and jumped on moon deck row E for 40. I love Stubhub. That's a pretty nice price for a section that's usually full.

gilpdawg
06-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Cleveland's #1 export is crippling depression.

See our river that catches on fire.

But at least we're not Detroit!

(love that video, cracks me up every time)

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
To be fair, there were other things going on in Cincinnati tonight (http://ecincinnati.com/entertainment/events_new/5013/hexagon-squares-square-dance-club?reqdate=2012-06-6).

In reply to *BaseClogger*, they played RHCP at GABP tonight, so that's OOTQ.

Don't forget there were about 6,000 kid glove attendees at the game also, though they don't count in the official attendance.

And there were quite a few other things going on in Cincinnati last night, including a full house next door at the arena for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and about 16,000 more at the Drake concert at Riverbend.

MikeThierry
06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Don't forget there were about 6,000 kid glove attendees at the game also, though they don't count in the official attendance.

And there were quite a few other things going on in Cincinnati last night, including a full house next door at the arena for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and about 16,000 more at the Drake concert at Riverbend.

Not trying to be a downer here but about 17,000 is still not very good even with all that stuff going on.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Not trying to be a downer here but about 17,000 is still not very good even with all that stuff going on.

The coming weekend is just about sold out. The Reds weekday crowds (Monday-Wednesday) will always underwhelm until they boost their season ticket base. Thursdays are usually much bigger crowds than M-W, particularly when they play in the afternoon.

And, counting the kid glove attendees last night, there were about 23K total in the park.

MikeThierry
06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
The coming weekend is just about sold out. The Reds weekday crowds (Monday-Wednesday) will always underwhelm until they boost their season ticket base. Thursdays are usually much bigger crowds than M-W, particularly when they play in the afternoon.

And, counting the kid glove attendees last night, there were about 23K total in the park.

I would still say 23K is not very good. I'm sorry, it just angers me because you have a damn good team, dominant bullpen, exciting team to watch, and one of the best bargains to watch baseball in the game.

medford
06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
You also have to keep in mind that there are 2 popular series coming up. The Tigers in town over the weekend will draw well and would have been a big draw for fans looking for single game tickets at the start of the season, then the Indians series, which usually draws pretty well in early season sales. How many people have bought tickets to a game or more for those 2 series, that may have gone to the Pittsburgh game last night given the weather?

Pittsburgh may well challenge for the division all season long, but for fans looking to buy single game tickets early in the season, the mid week games vs Pirates weren't screaming as a "must attend" draw the way the Tigers, Indians, Cardinals, Brewers or Braves are.

Overall attendance is up nicely compared to the last handful of seasons at this point in the season. The next 2 series should attract a good amount of fans to the park further boosting those attendance numbers compared to the same point as last year.

MikeThierry
06-07-2012, 01:25 PM
This is probably unfair but here are the attendance for the Pirates at Busch:

Tuesday May 1- 36,345
Wednesday May 2- 35,987
Thursday May 3- 40,601

This was when the Pirates were playing bad.

KittyDuran
06-07-2012, 01:51 PM
It's not going to change for the weekday totals until they gain more season ticket holders in the city of Cincinnati and Hamilton County and have no problems attending evening games that end around 10pm. I live an hour away (only 30 miles but half of that is back roads). It also takes sometimes 15 minutes to get to my car and that same amount getting out of downtown. Lots of excuses but the alarm goes off at 5am for me with a hour drive to work.

Reds Freak
06-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Tuesday May 1- 36,345
Wednesday May 2- 35,987
Thursday May 3- 40,601

Your team has also won two World Series titles in the past six years. The Reds haven't won a playoff game in 17 years.

KittyDuran
06-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I do my part for the weekends with 2 season ticket packages! :)

MikeThierry
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Your team has also won two World Series titles in the past six years. The Reds haven't won a playoff game in 17 years.

I could have bought that argument in 2010 but the Reds have won the division since then and people in Cincy should know that their team is good. I'm apologize if I'm sounding too harsh on this issue.

Reds Freak
06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I could have bought that argument in 2010 but the Reds have won the division since then and people in Cincy should know that their team is good. I'm apologize if I'm sounding too harsh on this issue.

I don't think you're being too harsh. I'd love to see attendance higher and it needs to be. I just think some underestimate how hard it is to build your season ticket base back up after so many crappy years.

Chip R
06-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't think you're being too harsh. I'd love to see attendance higher and it needs to be. I just think some underestimate how hard it is to build your season ticket base back up after so many crappy years.

But it isn't exactly like the Reds have been as "crappy" as the Pirates, for example. Mediocre, yes but very few "crappy" years. There were two over .500 teams in 99 and 00 with the former team winning 96 games. A division championship and a win over the Dodgers in the Division Series in 95 and the best record in baseball in 94. 90 was a world championship team and 92 had a 90 win team.

If these past teams were as "crappy" as we are led to believe, the fans should be going bonkers for the current team. But instead it's like, meh, we'll show up on the weekend.

One more thing, I don't think the CLE series is going to draw as well as people believe. Most, if not all, of the CLE series have been on weekends. The first several they played here were big draws because they always sold out in CLE for all their games. That isn't the case any more.

KittyDuran
06-07-2012, 02:36 PM
But it isn't exactly like the Reds have been as "crappy" as the Pirates, for example. Mediocre, yes but very few "crappy" years. There were two over .500 teams in 99 and 00 with the former team winning 96 games. A division championship and a win over the Dodgers in the Division Series in 95 and the best record in baseball in 94. 90 was a world championship team and 92 had a 90 win team.

If these past teams were as "crappy" as we are led to believe, the fans should be going bonkers for the current team. But instead it's like, meh, we'll show up on the weekend.

One more thing, I don't think the CLE series is going to draw as well as people believe. Most, if not all, of the CLE series have been on weekends. The first several they played here were big draws because they always sold out in CLE for all their games. That isn't the case any more.

For the first time I won't be going to the CLE series both here and in Cleveland (which is also during the week). :(

camisadelgolf
06-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Despite what people may say, Cincinnati is a football town. Ironically, if the Reds had had prolonged success, it would help with recent attendance numbers. The population of St. Louis County is growing; Hamilton County's is declining. St. Louis' population is noticeably closer to their baseball stadium than Cincinnati's. Anheuser-Busch is known for its popularity in sports venues--and just so happens to be based in St. Louis. St. Louis has more money, more income, etc.

St. Louis has an advantage in pretty much every way. To expect the same numbers just isn't reasonable (not that I'm accusing MikeThierry of such). For every four fans at a Cardinals home game, we should expect three fans at a Reds home game--and even that might be optimistic.

Sea Ray
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM

Tuesday May 1- 36,345
Wednesday May 2- 35,987
Thursday May 3- 40,601

That's what we strive to be. We're clearly not there yet. Whether we ever will be remains to be seen.

That said, 4 tickets and a parking pass were dropped on my desk today so I'll be there tomorrow night...:dancingcool:

Hoosier Red
06-07-2012, 03:39 PM

I tend to agree with this. It's sort of always been a case of "meh" with not a lot to get excited about positively or negatively.
Bengals have been much the same since ML took over as head coach.

I think people also have to be realistic about what improved attendance is. It's not like all of a sudden 40K will go to a game every night. The attendance last year through this many games averaged 23,207. To this point this year, it's been increased 12%. For the season the average fans per game were 27K last year.

If we continued at a 12% improvement for the year, we'd be looking at averaging more than 30K for the season which would be a decent total. But even with a 30K/night attendance, you're still going to have mid week games against the Pirates where the total attendance is only 20K.

*BaseClogger*
06-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Despite what people may say, Cincinnati is a football town.

Hahaha hang on... Cincinnati is a football town? Then why do they have to give away Bengals tickets to avoid a blackout? Why does UC have to beg for people to come to their games?

No, Columbus, Cleveland--those are football towns. Cincinnati is more of a college hoops town than anything else...

dougdirt
06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Hahaha hang on... Cincinnati is a football town? Then why do they have to give away Bengals tickets to avoid a blackout? Why does UC have to beg for people to come to their games?

No, Columbus, Cleveland--those are football towns. Cincinnati is more of a college hoops town than anything else...

Cincinnati is a fair weather town more than anything else. There isn't one particular sport that works better than the other. It just needs some kind of sustained success and then people will show up. When that doesn't happen, people don't.

dunner13
06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I think calling cincy a fair weather town might be a little harsh lets remember there was about 2 decades where the reds stunk. I mean I'm 27 and I dont really remember 1990 very well, basically my whole life the reds have been horrible. Its one thing for a team to have 3-4 bad years its another to have two bad decades, you lose a whole generation of fans when that happens. If we can put together a string of postseason appearances I think you will see the fans fill the stadium and if the casual fan can get attached to the players on this team like Votto, Bruce then you will see them keep filling the stadium even if we have a bad year or two.

westofyou
06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I think calling cincy a fair weather town might be a little harsh lets remember there was about 2 decades where the reds stunk. I mean I'm 27 and I dont really remember 1990 very well, basically my whole life the reds have been horrible. Its one thing for a team to have 3-4 bad years its another to have two bad decades, you lose a whole generation of fans when that happens. If we can put together a string of postseason appearances I think you will see the fans fill the stadium and if the casual fan can get attached to the players on this team like Votto, Bruce then you will see them keep filling the stadium even if we have a bad year or two.
If and buts.... I'll just note the Reds all time attendance record is now 9 years older than you.

Between 1985 and 2000 the Reds had 10 seasons above .500 and as attendance records were being made across the game, but not in Cincinnati

I agree with baseclogger, more people care about college basketball than baseball, Ky, IU, UC, XU, OSU... all get steady talk in the non baseball forum, especially KY and IU... which are technically not even in Cincinnati

I just think the baseball town tag is myth, kinda like the Reds are the oldest franchise in baseball, convenient, quaint but a myth

CINCINNATI REDS
SEASON
1985-2000

LOSSES displayed only--not a sorting criteria
WINNING PERCENTAGE displayed only--not a sorting criteria

WINS YEAR W L PCT
1 Reds 1999 96 67 .589
2 Reds 1990 91 71 .562
3 Reds 1992 90 72 .556
4 Reds 1985 89 72 .553
5 Reds 1988 87 74 .540
6 Reds 1986 86 76 .531
T7 Reds 1995 85 59 .590
T7 Reds 2000 85 77 .525
9 Reds 1987 84 78 .519
10 Reds 1996 81 81 .500

Roy Tucker
06-08-2012, 09:52 AM
I agree its a fair weather baseball fan town. The Bengals are the same way. Win and fans show up. Lose and its a mean-spirited town filled with cranky-ass fans who pillage the players, coaches, and owners.

We'll see how they draw now. The kids are out of school and the college kids are home. The weather has been great and the Reds are playing pretty well. No excuses besides "too busy" whihc most families are.

dougdirt
06-08-2012, 10:00 AM

If the casual fan isn't already attached to Phillips or Votto, there simply isn't anything that is going to bring them onto that train. Joey Votto is arguably the best hitter in the game. He can't do anything more. I am only a year older than you are, so I know where you are coming from, but I stand by my statement. This town is about as fair weather as it gets.

Sea Ray
06-08-2012, 10:20 AM
If the casual fan isn't already attached to Phillips or Votto, there simply isn't anything that is going to bring them onto that train. Joey Votto is arguably the best hitter in the game. He can't do anything more. I am only a year older than you are, so I know where you are coming from, but I stand by my statement. This town is about as fair weather as it gets.

I think it's more a fair weather town than a college basketball town. Just ask UC if it's a college BB town. They have more problems with attendance than the Reds do.

But rather than call them fair weather, I'd say Cincinnati is prudent with their money. They love their HS football and the value it brings and I'd argue they've supported the Bengals to a fault as only recently have they stopped selling out. The main reason the Bengals aren't selling more season ticket packages now is because of the seat license thing (see prudence) but I think we won't see many blackouts this year

Truth be told, Cincinnati sports (Reds, Bengals, Bearcats) were about as bad as bad can be from 1996-2010. That kind of losing can cost them an entire generation of fans

Hoosier Red
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Cincinnati is a fair weather town more than anything else. There isn't one particular sport that works better than the other. It just needs some kind of sustained success and then people will show up. When that doesn't happen, people don't.

Aside from Chicago which had the brilliant idea to market it's lovable losers, I haven't seen any team fail to win for an extended period of time without experiencing some drop off in fan support.

But it's all relative. Given everything implicit about the team being equal(record, recent success, "likeability" of the team, etc...) the Reds would still likely be behind the Cardinals and Cubs attendance due to the plethora of things outside the team's control(size of primary markets, competition with other teams in secondary markets, etc..)

So when you take into account that not everything has been equal, and the Reds have seen less success than the Cardinals or the Brewers, or the Cubs even, then you're really at a disadvantage before the game starts.

Given all of that, it's more about growing, slow and consistently and building the fan base.

Yachtzee
06-08-2012, 10:48 AM
If and buts.... I'll just note the Reds all time attendance record is now 9 years older than you.

Between 1985 and 2000 the Reds had 10 seasons above .500 and as attendance records were being made across the game, but not in Cincinnati

I agree with baseclogger, more people care about college basketball than baseball, Ky, IU, UC, XU, OSU... all get steady talk in the non baseball forum, especially KY and IU... which are technically not even in Cincinnati

I just think the baseball town tag is myth, kinda like the Reds are the oldest franchise in baseball, convenient, quaint but a myth

CINCINNATI REDS
SEASON
1985-2000

LOSSES displayed only--not a sorting criteria
WINNING PERCENTAGE displayed only--not a sorting criteria

WINS YEAR W L PCT
1 Reds 1999 96 67 .589
2 Reds 1990 91 71 .562
3 Reds 1992 90 72 .556
4 Reds 1985 89 72 .553
5 Reds 1988 87 74 .540
6 Reds 1986 86 76 .531
T7 Reds 1995 85 59 .590
T7 Reds 2000 85 77 .525
9 Reds 1987 84 78 .519
10 Reds 1996 81 81 .500

To be fair, that also corresponds with the Marge Schott anti-marketing era and the strike. Before Marge, the Reds had a huge radio network in addition to WLW. They had ticket outlets as far north as Akron. The Reds used to own Ohio. Now you have to wait until sunset to pick up WLW to listen to games and the Indians have not only reclaimed the northern half of the state, they own their own cable channel and still work to get games on local free tv. They may be having attendance problems too, but they have other revenue streams the Reds don't.

I agree that Cincinnati is a fair weather city, but years of Schott, Lindner, and Mike Brown, owners just as likely to tick off fans as bring them in, have conditioned a negative outlook.

Hoosier Red
06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I think it's more a fair weather town than a college basketball town. Just ask UC if it's a college BB town. They have more problems with attendance than the Reds do.

But rather than call them fair weather, I'd say Cincinnati is prudent with their money. They love their HS football and the value it brings and I'd argue they've supported the Bengals to a fault as only recently have they stopped selling out. The main reason the Bengals aren't selling more season ticket packages now is because of the seat license thing (see prudence) but I think we won't see many blackouts this year

Truth be told, Cincinnati sports (Reds, Bengals, Bearcats) were about as bad as bad can be from 1996-2010. That kind of losing can cost them an entire generation of fans

A good point Sea Ray. And I've argued here and elsewhere that the Bengals and Reds failures hurt each other as much as anything.

As it became less cool to root for the home team in one sport, the mentality spawned to other sports it seemed. Suddenly kids were wearing Braves and Steelers jerseys without any fear of an atomic wedgie. Dark days indeed.

Bob Borkowski
06-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Suddenly kids were wearing Braves and Steelers jerseys without any fear of an atomic wedgie. Dark days indeed.

Over here in southeastern Indiana fair-weather Colts fans jerseys are more common than fleas were on our old hound dog back home.

mdccclxix
06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Attendance was withering in St. Louis in 2010 or 2011, I remember Marty taking advantage of the opportunity to point that out. Every town is a fair weather town, the extent to which depends on the amount of goodwill that is built up and maintained.

oregonred
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
To be fair, that also corresponds with the Marge Schott anti-marketing era and the strike. Before Marge, the Reds had a huge radio network in addition to WLW. They had ticket outlets as far north as Akron. The Reds used to own Ohio. Now you have to wait until sunset to pick up WLW to listen to games and the Indians have not only reclaimed the northern half of the state, they own their own cable channel and still work to get games on local free tv. They may be having attendance problems too, but they have other revenue streams the Reds don't.

I agree that Cincinnati is a fair weather city, but years of Schott, Lindner, and Mike Brown, owners just as likely to tick off fans as bring them in, have conditioned a negative outlook.

Yep and to be fair the Reds were always decent in the late 80's but realistically were never actually in the divisional race from '85-'89. They were always floating 8-10 games back of the Dodgers, Giants and Braves as the "Avis" team of the NL West. There were no down to the last week finishes. The only thrilling pennant races in the past 33 seasons were 1982 (strike year), 1990, 1994, (lost season) 1995 (strike hangover), 1999 and 2011.

For some reason the strikes really seemed to hit the Reds at the worst possible times (1981 and 94-95). Living there I remember how the strikes just killed the interest in the Reds. Meanwhile the Cardinals benefitted from their 3 well-timed post '81 strike WS appearances from 1982-1987, the NFL leaving St Louis in 1987 for eight seasons. Also let's not forget the McGwire Steroid binge benefitted St Louis after the '94-'95 strike hangover like no one else in baseball.

No playoff wins since 1995. One WS appearance since 1976. 10 losing seasons out of 11. 30 years of anti-marketing by ownership. A lot to overcome. The 2000's lost decade and Griffey Jr false hope...

St Louis is the gold standard for a mid-market. The Brewers seem to have found sudden attendance magic, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Crumbley
06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Attendance will always be an issue when your fan base is so rural. There just isn't the critical mass of people living in the city. Maybe the street car thing combined with the banks gets the city cooking. Only then will attendance really spike.

gilpdawg
06-09-2012, 02:22 AM

I'd argue that it's not the town but this region in general. Indiana is worse, speaking an a Hoosier. They stopped supporting the Pacers, (and still can't sell out PLAYOFF games), Colts would be in LA without Peyton Manning, and don't get me started on the goobers who support IU hoops, but don't even halfway follow the football program because they root for Notre Dame football. Pick a school!

Not to mention the problems Cleveland is having, but we've already touched on that earlier. Seems like a Midwest thing, with some exceptions.

dabvu2498
06-09-2012, 03:35 AM

It's also worth noting that most of the folks who post on the IU and UK hoops forums are technically not even in Cincinnati, either.

I agree that this is a big time front-running, bandwagon, fair weather area for fandom.

During the John Cooper era at OSU, you'd have a hard time finding a Buckeye fan in Cincy. Now... everywhere. Heck, even Nippert Stadium has become an attraction for fans (scary) while the Shoemaker Center only fills up for marquee matchups. And the number of folks I know who wear OSU red from September-December and then UK blue from December to March is, well, sickening.

I think this is a pretty good baseball town. I think the radio and TV ratings bear that out. But it's also largely an aging fanbase. My parents' generation seems to have more Reds fans than my age bracket and especially the younger folks. Those folks don't go to a lot of games. You've got to tap into the under 40 and especially under 30 market to get up into the upper 2 millions in total gate. They're trying, but it's going to take some success between the lines to make it happen.

11 .500+ seasons and 2 playoff appearances in 26 years just isn't quite enough.

Sea Ray
06-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Last night they announced a sellout but the attendance was only 38K. I assume that meant they gave out 5K free tickets although I have no idea where. Maybe straight A? Dunno

redsmetz
06-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Last night they announced a sellout but the attendance was only 38K. I assume that meant they gave out 5K free tickets although I have no idea where. Maybe straight A? Dunno

The term they used in announcing the attendance last night at the game was something like "guests of the Reds." But they said it was just around 2000 or so. I think there were ball teams they honored or something.

cincrazy
06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
It's also worth noting that most of the folks who post on the IU and UK hoops forums are technically not even in Cincinnati, either.

I agree that this is a big time front-running, bandwagon, fair weather area for fandom.

During the John Cooper era at OSU, you'd have a hard time finding a Buckeye fan in Cincy. Now... everywhere. Heck, even Nippert Stadium has become an attraction for fans (scary) while the Shoemaker Center only fills up for marquee matchups. And the number of folks I know who wear OSU red from September-December and then UK blue from December to March is, well, sickening.

I think this is a pretty good baseball town. I think the radio and TV ratings bear that out. But it's also largely an aging fanbase. My parents' generation seems to have more Reds fans than my age bracket and especially the younger folks. Those folks don't go to a lot of games. You've got to tap into the under 40 and especially under 30 market to get up into the upper 2 millions in total gate. They're trying, but it's going to take some success between the lines to make it happen.

You make some great points. I will say this, however, in relation to the age of the fans... the last few years, coinciding with the 2010 playoff berth and the emergency of players like Votto and Chapman and Phillips, I've noticed a ton more people my age interested in the Reds, going to games, etc. People I grew up with that didn't give a hoot about the Reds are all of a sudden huge supporters. They're making inroads as far as that's concerned. But so many of the big time fans have to drive at least an hour and a half, if not longer to get to a game.

During the summer my life practically revolves around Reds baseball, and I try to go to at least 10 games a year. But I've got a new job this year, I go into work at 6:30 AM, get off at 5, and I'm an hour and a half away from Cincinnati. It's almost impossible to make it to a game during the week. I'd imagine many working adults face the exact same scenario.

dougdirt
06-09-2012, 11:57 PM

There was some sort of voucher program. Maybe kid glove?

BearcatShane
06-10-2012, 01:32 AM

Idk. I notice whenever they have attendence over 38,000 they always announce it as a sellout.

Big Klu
06-10-2012, 02:01 AM

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. The Tigers were always the traditional opponent for the Kid Glove Game.

camisadelgolf
06-10-2012, 03:03 AM
The Tigers fans were pretty loud at the game. There were definitely more Reds fans who attended, but the Tigers fans made their presence known. Good for them. Hopefully the Reds fans are able to do that the next time they're in Detroit.

johngalt
06-10-2012, 05:23 PM

A game technically becomes a sellout when there's only single seats left, i.e. you can't find two or more open seats together anywhere. It doesn't necessarily mean every seat/ticket is sold. That's why the attendance number for sellouts will vary.

Chip R
06-10-2012, 05:25 PM

They just had one on the 6th.

jhc2010
06-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Idk. I notice whenever they have attendence over 38,000 they always announce it as a sellout.I don't think they include obstructed view seats either. The seats behind the left field foul pole and the seats in the upper left corner of the Sun Deck where the power stacks block part of the field include a few hundred blocked-view seats.

jhc2010
06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
June 8-10 vs. Detroit Tigers

Friday Night - 38,563
Saturday Afternoon - 42,443 (Largest Regular Season Non-Opening Day Crowd at GABP)
Sunday Night - 34,056

jhc2010
06-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Attendance is up more than 4,000 per game through 30 games this season!

Reds average attendance through 30 games:
2012 - 27,164
2011 - 23,096
2010 - 23,692
2009 - 23,442

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/current_attendance.shtml

Sea Ray
06-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Attendance is up more than 4,000 per game through 30 games this season!

Reds average attendance through 30 games:
2012 - 27,164
2011 - 23,096
2010 - 23,692
2009 - 23,442

That's a significant jump no matter how you figure it. Anyone know what the jump was through 30 games from 1999 to 2000? That's the only yr that comes to mind that might have been greater

mdccclxix
06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
2000 to 2001 might have been big with KGJr arrival and 2002 to 2003 with the opening of GABP.

Sea Ray
06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
2000 to 2001 might have been big with KGJr arrival and 2002 to 2003 with the opening of GABP.

The biggest increase was from 1999-2000 as that's when KG Jr arrived. Avg attendance went up over 6K/game. Overall it went from 2 to 2.5mill

Yachtzee
06-11-2012, 09:37 PM

I think maybe having more promotions that might interest younger people might be needed. Looking at the promotions schedule, a lot of things are geared toward kids, families, and seniors. They do have "singles" nights, but that seems more geared toward the "cougars." I think it's interesting that the Reds have a Faith Day post-game concert, featuring Christian bands. I have nothing against people who are into that kind of music, but it seems the appeal is very limited. Meanwhile, Columbus Crew had the Flogging Molly's play after a game recently. Can you guess which sport is seeing a lot of growth in popularity among the 18-30 set? If I ran the Reds, of course my first focus would be to put a good team on the field. But I'd also put forth a major effort to court the 18-30 demographic. Why? Because that's usually the age group with the most disposable income. Bringing in families is good, and Sundays are ideal for that. But families just can't afford to come back for more than 2 or 3 games a season.

I've always felt the team should encourage fans to set up their own supporters groups (similar to what you see in soccer or in the endzones of football games). Give them the Sun/Moon Deck to put up banners and chant and sing and wear crazy outfits to support the team. It would also look good on TV to see a bunch of young passionate fans taking over a section of the stadium.

*BaseClogger*
06-11-2012, 09:58 PM
I think maybe having more promotions that might interest younger people might be needed. Looking at the promotions schedule, a lot of things are geared toward kids, families, and seniors. They do have "singles" nights, but that seems more geared toward the "cougars." I think it's interesting that the Reds have a Faith Day post-game concert, featuring Christian bands. I have nothing against people who are into that kind of music, but it seems the appeal is very limited. Meanwhile, Columbus Crew had the Flogging Molly's play after a game recently. Can you guess which sport is seeing a lot of growth in popularity among the 18-30 set? If I ran the Reds, of course my first focus would be to put a good team on the field. But I'd also put forth a major effort to court the 18-30 demographic. Why? Because that's usually the age group with the most disposable income. Bringing in families is good, and Sundays are ideal for that. But families just can't afford to come back for more than 2 or 3 games a season.

I've always felt the team should encourage fans to set up their own supporters groups (similar to what you see in soccer or in the endzones of football games). Give them the Sun/Moon Deck to put up banners and chant and sing and wear crazy outfits to support the team. It would also look good on TV to see a bunch of young passionate fans taking over a section of the stadium.

I was pissed seeing so many families walking around with four and five grill sets. Why do they need all of those? I'm about to move into my own place, damnit!

Bob Borkowski
06-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Tom Groeschen over on Cincinnati.com is reporting that next Saturday's game (6-23) against the Twins is a sellout. Great! Keep that average attendance per game headed up, up, up.

Quote:
SATURDAY SELLOUT
Saturday’s Reds-Twins game (4:10 p.m.) is sold out. It will be Reds Hall of Fame induction day for modern first basemen Sean Casey and Dan Driessen and 19th century first baseman John Reilly.

gilpdawg
06-19-2012, 04:17 AM
FWIW, last Hall of Fame induction day drew 41,300, so pretty much sold out.

jhc2010
06-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Here are the numbers from last week's Indians @ Reds series.

Tuesday night - 24,758
Wednesday night - 27,428
Thursday afternoon - 34,193

Total attendance for the series: 86,379. That is an extremely high number for a weekday series in Cincinnati.

Cleveland drew just 19,948 last night for game one of the Reds-Indians series up there.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Here are the numbers from last week's Indians @ Reds series.

Tuesday night - 24,758
Wednesday night - 27,428
Thursday afternoon - 34,193

Total attendance for the series: 86,379. That is an extremely high number for a weekday series in Cincinnati.

Cleveland drew just 19,948 last night for game one of the Reds-Indians series up there.

And the numbers from the first two nights of the Reds @ Indians series:

Monday night - 19,948
Tuesday night - 17,213

jhc2010
06-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Here is how the series at Progressive Field (Reds @ Indians) ended up.

Monday night - 19,948
Tuesday night - 17,213
Wednesday Night 23,544

The total attendance 60,705 in Cleveland is nothing compared to the 86,379 in Cincinnati the week before. It was another sad turn out from Cleveland fans.

jhc2010
06-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Friday night's game against Minnesota drew 33,531.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Monday's attendance vs. Brewers: 34,485

BearcatShane
06-26-2012, 04:56 AM
Whats the average attendence now? It's probably closing in on 30K. I don't even know where to look it up.

redsmetz
06-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Whats the average attendence now? It's probably closing in on 30K. I don't even know where to look it up.

According to ESPN, we're at 28,258 through 37 dates.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Chip R
06-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Darn good crowd last night of 34,485. Now if Bobby Labonte and Richard Petty can show up every weeknight.

cumberlandreds
06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Darn good crowd last night of 34,485. Now if Bobby Labonte and Richard Petty can show up every weeknight.

I was surprised to see such a big crowd last night. That was terriffic. This Reds baseball thing is finally catching on. ;)

traderumor
06-26-2012, 10:02 AM
The Cubs, arguably one of the hardest to watch teams in the league, 5th in attendance? Their fans are as pathetic as the team, this year the proof is in the pudding that they deserve each other. A modern era "Major League" should use the Cubs for their story.

KittyDuran
06-26-2012, 10:44 AM

There was also $14 tickets ($35 regular) for this series.

Roy Tucker
06-26-2012, 10:54 AM
There was also $14 tickets ($35 regular) for this series.

The "Reds Win, You Win" promotion. Field box tickets for $15 are hard to pass up. I've got 4 for tonight.

Chip R
06-26-2012, 11:05 AM
The Cubs, arguably one of the hardest to watch teams in the league, 5th in attendance? Their fans are as pathetic as the team, this year the proof is in the pudding that they deserve each other. A modern era "Major League" should use the Cubs for their story.

Good article about the Cubs whoring out Wrigley Field and the subsequent problems of grass damage.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7QDk?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=chicago-cubs

Benihana
06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Crazy to think that we are outdrawing the first place White Sox and the newly funded Marlins in their new stadium's inaugural year. Also just a hair below the first place Nationals and the surprising Mets. Hope Greater Cincinnatians keep this up!

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Good article about the Cubs whoring out Wrigley Field and the subsequent problems of grass damage.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7QDk?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=chicago-cubs

That's really amazing that the Cubs allow that to happen. Wrigley Field looked like some Little League sandlot in the Valley from the Bad News Bears last week during the series against the Red Sox. And for what? Brad Paisley? At least when the Reds had their patchwork field for a series or two last summer it was for Paul McCartney.

traderumor
06-26-2012, 03:57 PM
That's really amazing that the Cubs allow that to happen. Wrigley Field looked like some Little League sandlot in the Valley from the Bad News Bears last week during the series against the Red Sox. And for what? Brad Paisley? At least when the Reds had their patchwork field for a series or two last summer it was for Paul McCartney.I don't know if Hollywood could even script what the Cubs are doing right now. That didn't even mention the hideous electronic board on the wall in the RF corner. Kinda looked like Michael Scott's St. Pauly Girl beer sign.

oregonred
06-27-2012, 12:05 AM
32,986 tonight

OnBaseMachine
06-27-2012, 01:50 AM
So the Reds need around 33,000 tomorrow in order to crack 100,000 for the Brewers series. When's the last time the Reds cracked 100,000 for a three game weekday series against a non-Yankees team?

redsfan30
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
So the Reds need around 33,000 tomorrow in order to crack 100,000 for the Brewers series. When's the last time the Reds cracked 100,000 for a three game weekday series against a non-Yankees team?

The series against the Cardinals in August of 2010 (the fight and Cards sweep series) comes to mind.

That'd be about it.

oregonred
06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Just short of 29,000 today. Great weekday attendance series this week at over 96K. Hopefully a sign of better weekday crowds the rest of the way. Averaging over 32K on a weekday series is the way to make a big boost in the attendance ledger.

With the crummy 3-6 stretch over the past 10 days, I now expect to be a game or two out of first after the west coast trip, but the schedule turns much more favorable in July/August with many more home dates and less brutal company.

5 weekend series out of 7 weekends will continue to boost the attendance.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-27-2012, 06:35 PM
With the crummy 3-6 stretch over the past 10 days, I now expect to be a game or two out of first after the west coast trip, but the schedule turns much more favorable in July/August with many more home dates and less brutal company.

I wouldn't call the Twins brutal company. Doesn't get much more creampuff than that outside of Wrigley Field or Kansas City.

oregonred
06-27-2012, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't call the Twins brutal company. Doesn't get much more creampuff than that outside of Wrigley Field or Kansas City.

Overall the Reds have faced some pretty solid competition since mid-may, especially when you add in the next seven at SF/LA.

Sure you get the occassional Twinkies, Astros and Rockies three game set by virtue of schedule rotation, but the Reds are in a stretch of 30 away games out of 52.

After the ASB the schedule turns much more favorable. The only downside is that the Reds do seem to play better against better competition this year.

jhc2010
06-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Brewers @ Reds (June 25-27)

Monday Night - 34,485
Tuesday Night - 32,986
Wednesday Afternoon - 28,906

Total attendance for the series - 96,377

jhc2010
06-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Reds attendance is up 3,323 fans per game from last year. The numbers are way up from two seasons ago. The Reds are up 6,524 per game (through 39 games) since 2010!

In 2010, the average rose sharply in July & August when the Reds were playoff-bound.

Reds Average Attendance through 39 home games
2012 - 28,396
2011 - 25,073
2010 - 21,872
2009 - 24,942

Tom Servo
06-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Reds attendance is up 3,323 fans per game from last year. The numbers are way up from two seasons ago. The Reds are up 6,524 per game (through 39 games) since 2010!

In 2010, the average rose sharply in July & August when the Reds were playoff-bound.

2012 - 28,396
2011 - 25,073
2010 - 21,872
2009 - 24,942
That is crazy and awesome.

Sea Ray
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Looks to like they're going to be in Big Red Machine territory when the yr is said and done. That's significant because that was the hey day of baseball in Cincinnati. It was cool to go to a game back then

klw
06-28-2012, 02:50 PM

2012 - 28,396
2011 - 25,073
2010 - 21,872
2009 - 24,942

What is the average ticket price? Do we have estimates on how much this amounts to in extra revenue?

Sea Ray
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
What is the average ticket price? Do we have estimates on how much this amounts to in extra revenue?

That's tough to say. For instance in this past series, many tickets were discounted $20. I'd think they'd make a lot on concessions though

camisadelgolf
06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I believe the Reds have the 2nd-lowest ticket price in MLB.

wheels
06-28-2012, 10:30 PM
These attendance figures are a testament to quality ownership.

I can't say enough good things about The Castellinis and the job they have done to turn this franchise around.

wheels
06-28-2012, 10:31 PM

I can't say enough good things about The Castellinis and the job they have done to turn this franchise around.

camisadelgolf
06-28-2012, 11:08 PM

I suppose that explains why you said it twice. ;)

I'm with you, though. The Castellinis have a great business acumen, and it's yielding good results for the Reds. For the first time in decades, I feel like the Reds ownership isn't clueless.

wheels
06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
I suppose that explains why you said it twice. ;)

I'm with you, though. The Castellinis have a great business acumen, and it's yielding good results for the Reds. For the first time in decades, I feel like the Reds ownership isn't clueless.

If I say it once, I say it a thousand times!

edabbs44
06-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Credit to ownership and the neighboring businesses who put on such great promos like Wrigley South. :)

WebScorpion
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Looks to like they're going to be in Big Red Machine territory when the yr is said and done. That's significant because that was the hey day of baseball in Cincinnati. It was cool to go to a game back then
It wasn't just cool. There was no place like a packed Riverfront for a playoff or series game...Maybe an OSU vs. Michigan game at the 'Shoe'. 50,000 people willing Perez or Bench to knock in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th...and when they did, the whole world erupted! Nothing like it before or since. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy082.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Tom Servo
07-05-2012, 01:58 AM
So this caught my eye

http://i.imgur.com/ZPYfk.png

Miami beating the Reds by about 150,000 in total fans but only because they have a 5 game advantage. The Marlins are considered big market and made big splashes this offseason, and we're ahead of them in both W-L record and average game attendance. :beerme:

camisadelgolf
07-05-2012, 02:14 AM
So this caught my eye

http://i.imgur.com/ZPYfk.png

Miami beating the Reds by about 150,000 in total fans but only because they have a 5 game advantage. The Marlins are considered big market and made big splashes this offseason, and we're ahead of them in both W-L record and average game attendance. :beerme:
Not to mention they have a brand new stadium.

cincrazy
07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Another sellout tonight. I'd imagine this weekend's series are going to bump the attendance numbers up even further, especially with Sunday now being a night game televised on ESPN, and tomorrow's game being a nationally televised Fox game of the week.

VR
07-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Another sellout tonight. I'd imagine this weekend's series are going to bump the attendance numbers up even further, especially with Sunday now being a night game televised on ESPN, and tomorrow's game being a nationally televised Fox game of the week.

After winning in 2010 to get fans attention again.......locking up so much young, homegrown talent for years, stepping out for a big acquisition like Latos, and now showing themselves to be one of the best team in the NL........I think attendance will finally start rising pretty significantly. Fans are trusting what they are seeing.

It could be an exciting time for the next 5 years. Perhaps I'll get off the schnide and come to Cincy to take it in for the first time. :thumbup:

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Downtown was absolutely off the charts tonight. A sellout crowd of more than 40K saw the Reds win plus the fireworks show, choirs from all over the world all over the city and jamming Fountain Square until well past midnight (we sat near a group of about 30-40 people from China at the game) and, oh yea, the inaugural Bunbury Festival on the riverfront ... not to mention the Queen City Sausage Fest in Newport.

Every street, every restaurant, every bar was just slam-packed most of the night.

oregonred
07-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Awesome, can't wait to be up North in a few weekends for the Pirates and Padres series. Guess I better get tickets well ahead of time. Looking forward to checking out some of the new places downtown and on the Banks. Good times...

Homer Bailey
07-16-2012, 10:12 AM
#Reds attendance up 10 percent on pace for GABP record. Could help at trade deadline. cin.ci/OzJYmS

@johnfayman

jhc2010
07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Attendance numbers continue to climb.

St. Louis @ Cincinnati (July 13-15)
Friday Night - 40,217
Saturday Afternoon - 37,583
Sunday Night - 39,280

Reds Average Attendance through 42 home games:
2012 - 29,155
2011 - 26,183
2010 - 22,599
2009 - 24,905

Scrap Irony
07-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Attendance is still only 10th out of 16 in the NL, with 1.2 million crossing the gates.

Good attendance can only help the Reds.

jhc2010
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Attendance is still only 10th out of 16 in the NL, with 1.2 million crossing the gates.Only 6 out of 14 AL teams have better attendance numbers than the Reds.

dougdirt
07-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Only 6 out of 14 AL teams have better attendance numbers than the Reds.

So the Reds are right in the middle of MLB?

jhc2010
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
So the Reds are right in the middle of MLB?The Reds are 17th out of 30. Cleveland is 30th. Considering how small of a market this is, the Reds are doing remarkably well. They are ahead of teams in much larger markets like Chicago, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, Toronto, Seattle, and Baltimore.

OldXOhio
07-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Attendance is still only 10th out of 16 in the NL, with 1.2 million crossing the gates.

I'll be interested to see where that ranking ends up once the non-contenders begin losing their draw.

elfmanvt07
07-16-2012, 02:38 PM
The Reds are 17th out of 30. Cleveland is 30th. Considering how small of a market this is, the Reds are doing remarkably well. They are ahead of teams in much larger markets like Chicago, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, Toronto, Seattle, and Baltimore.

Cincinnati seems to have remembered that it's a baseball town.

OldXOhio
07-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Cincinnati seems to have remembered that it's a baseball town.

And the brass seems to have determined if it shows the town a committment to winning it may reap the rewards.

Tom Servo
07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Wow, I'm genuinely surprised by Minnesota and Colorado's attendance. Didn't realize they drew that many fans, and with such terrible starting pitching they're throwing out there.

oregonred
07-16-2012, 04:23 PM

The NL is really bunched up in attendnace. Six NL teams pretty close in attendance. Clear separation from Colorado to the middle NL pack. NL has 13 of the top 19 which speaks to the competitive balance of the NL and some overall better and bigger market draws (Giants vs As, Cubs vs. White Sox). Minnesota is way off this year (still #12), but in danger of cratering starting next season. Already the talk in South FLorida has been how dissappointing the Marlins attendance has been (not a surprise given the location of the park too far south in Little Havana and lack of overall fan interest in the area outside the Cuban/Venzuelan/Puerto Rican communities and Northern transplants going to see their favorite team).

13 Colorado 33,882

14 Atlanta 29,968

15 Washington 29,677

16 NY Mets 29,384

17 Cincinnati 29,155

18 Miami 28,425

19 Arizona 28,207

Reds have been steadily moving up over the last month. The home schedule was very weekday heavy in the 1st half of the season. Reds have 19 weekend and 20 weekday games left (I think).

Nathan
07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
For some reason, I find the percentage more telling (The Reds are still middle of the pack, but increasing steadily) since it tells about how many possible fans that can attend have attended (if that makes sense.) For instance, the Dodgers currently have the largest stadium with a seating capacity of 54,000. If they are able to sell out all their games, they'd draw well over 4MM people, which the Reds won't ever be able to come close to, even if they sold out every night. (The Rays, btw have the smallest park with a seating capacity of just over 34K which over the course of a season, I believe is like 2.7MM.)

My point is, I guess, you can't always tell how good of a "draw" the team is based on average attendance. It's a good tool for revenue purposes, though, which it seems like more people are interested in.

oregonred
07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Average attendance is really the only viable metric.

It does help to have a larger capacity on those occassions where you have a sellout/opening day to pack in the high 40s to boost the average (last night was a sellout but only 39 and change was announced). However the smaller capacity should allow for higher ticket prices and to create more urgency to buy tickets ahead of time (vs. the old Riverfront days).

The Reds would have to average 87-88% of seasonal capacity (37,037) to ever reach the 3M mark which means you can't have many weeknights in the mid-20's over the course of a season and that assumes you pack in 100% on virtually every weekend date.

oregonred
07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Hence the importance of a large season ticket base (>30K)...

jhc2010
07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Wow, I'm genuinely surprised by Minnesota and Colorado's attendance. Didn't realize they drew that many fans, and with such terrible starting pitching they're throwing out there.Minnesota opened a new park last season and saw a sharp spike in attendance.

Nathan
07-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Average attendance is really the only viable metric.

I'm going to assume you were responding to my post, so, I'll break what I was trying to say down some more. For revenue purposes, I agree. To an extent. You'd also have to look at other factors, such as average cost per ticket, ect.

It does help to have a larger capacity on those occassions where you have a sellout/opening day to pack in the high 40s to boost the average (last night was a sellout but only 39 and change was announced). However the smaller capacity should allow for higher ticket prices and to create more urgency to buy tickets ahead of time (vs. the old Riverfront days).

While that is somewhat correct, it's not always the case. The smallest stadium (Tampa) is also among one of the cheapest. I guess the demand part might have something to do with it. Interesting note from the research: most of the cheaper teams are among the least attended, and least competitive teams, whereas the more expensive teams are almost all competitive. Hmm..

The Reds would have to average 87-88% of seasonal capacity (37,037) to ever reach the 3M mark which means you can't have many weeknights in the mid-20's over the course of a season and that assumes you pack in 100% on virtually every weekend date.

That was part of what I was trying to get it. I know that the % doesn't have much bearing on the revenue of the team. I just find it an interesting stat.

Source: http://fancostexperience.com/pages/fcx/fci_pdfs/8.pdf

VottoFan54
07-19-2012, 06:04 PM
I am not sure where to put this, but I thought this thread would be fine.

BP's comments on the fans, from Fay:

“The game ended up beautiful,” Phillips said. “I’m glad we won that game because if we didn’t you all were going to be in the panic mode. We should be winning games. (But) ee got our best hitter not in the lineup.”

“I love my fans. I love the fans period. I feel like all the booing was unnecessary. We’re in first place. We’re playing good baseball. I know we didn’t do our jobs early in the game. It’s not like we’re doing it on purpose.

“I feel like if you’re going to boo somebody, wait till the end of the game because you never know when guys come up in key situations. We feed off the fans. That’s the only reason we got that win today. In the seventh inning when (Xavier) Paul got on base, the fans were cheering. It started everything up. OK, we got something going. The fans were into the game.”

“I said what I’m going to say about the fans. . . It feels good to win. . . That win right there was a great win.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

As bad as the Reds were playing, I don't mind if the fans were booing.

dougdirt
07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
I care. The team is in first place with one of the better records in baseball. You don't boo them over one game.

westofyou
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I care. The team is in first place with one of the better records in baseball. You don't boo them over one game.

Yep, it's bush to boo the home team for losing a game when they have been in the heat of things all year.

VottoFan54
07-19-2012, 06:19 PM

It wasn't just one game. It was the fact that they scored 8 runs over the first three games in the series and it was starting to look like they would get shutout in the fourth games. In addition to not hitting, they weren't playing very well defensively.

RANDY IN INDY
07-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Yep, it's bush to boo the home team for losing a game when they have been in the heat of things all year.

:beerme:

Homer Bailey
07-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Classless, really. Embarrassing.

dougdirt
07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
It wasn't just one game. It was the fact that they scored 8 runs over the first three games in the series and it was starting to look like they would get shutout in the fourth games. In addition to not hitting, they weren't playing very well defensively.

There are 162 games in a season. You are going to go through some slumps. The team was 7-2 over their last 9 games. One game losing streak. Booing over that is childish. Incredibly childish.

dougdirt
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Also, did I miss something, but did the Reds really only sell 26,000 tickets on Wednesday for a bobblehead?

VottoFan54
07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Also, did I miss something, but did the Reds really only sell 26,000 tickets on Wednesday for a bobblehead?

If so, that is more embarrasing than anything.

westofyou
07-19-2012, 06:28 PM

Three games!!!

Whoa... 1.85% of the season!!!

Jerks!

VottoFan54
07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Three games!!!

Whoa... 1.85% of the season!!!

Jerks!

I don't look at it as the fans calling the players jerks. The team was playing bad baseball, so the fans complained about it. It isn't a huge deal. Phillips overreacted IMO.

dougdirt
07-19-2012, 06:34 PM
If so, that is more embarrasing than anything.

Yes, Wednesday was a bobblehead game (Bruce) and the announced attendance was 26,077.

The weather wasn't all that good leading up to the game, but by 6pm it was fine.

VottoFan54
07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes, Wednesday was a bobblehead game (Bruce) and the announced attendance was 26,077.

The weather wasn't all that good leading up to the game, but by 6pm it was fine.

If the weather was bad, then it's understandable.

Tom Servo
07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't look at it as the fans calling the players jerks. The team was playing bad baseball, so the fans complained about it. It isn't a huge deal. Phillips overreacted IMO.
I don't see how he overreacted.

dougdirt
07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
If the weather was bad, then it's understandable.

Not really. The weather was fine well before game time and bobblehead nights usually gets 35,000+ through the gates. 10,000 people didn't stay home because it was raining at 4pm.

VottoFan54
07-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't see how he overreacted.

The Reds recieved overwhelming support from the fans for the majority of the homestand, especially over the weekend. I don't think it's necessary to call out the fans over a few boos when the team is struggling.

Plus Plus
07-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Not really. The weather was fine well before game time and bobblehead nights usually gets 35,000+ through the gates. 10,000 people didn't stay home because it was raining at 4pm.

Kellogg Avenue, the route that I take to the stadium, was flooded by about 4:45pm, and rain on the east side (I live near Kellogg and Salem) was absolutely torrential until about 5:40pm. Just for what that's worth. Several trees were down in my neighborhood as well, so I can understand why people who live in my immediate area might not have gone. The rain was also very bad for my father, who was driving home from Hocking Hills, so I would imagine that those who are coming from out of town might have been deterred.

westofyou
07-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Kellogg Avenue, the route that I take to the stadium, was flooded by about 4:45pm, and rain on the east side (I live near Kellogg and Salem) was absolutely torrential until about 5:40pm. Just for what that's worth. Several trees were down in my neighborhood as well, so I can understand why people who live in my immediate area might not have gone. The rain was also very bad for my father, who was driving home from Hocking Hills, so I would imagine that those who are coming from out of town might have been deterred.

I grew up playing soccer at Kellogg field, that area floods like nothing else

KittyDuran
07-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Kellogg Avenue, the route that I take to the stadium, was flooded by about 4:45pm, and rain on the east side (I live near Kellogg and Salem) was absolutely torrential until about 5:40pm. Just for what that's worth. Several trees were down in my neighborhood as well, so I can understand why people who live in my immediate area might not have gone. The rain was also very bad for my father, who was driving home from Hocking Hills, so I would imagine that those who are coming from out of town might have been deterred.I was coming down to the game on I-71 and the ponding on the road was bad around Norwood to Taft with the torrential rain (this was after 5:40pm that PP mentioned). Barely made downtown at 6pm and free parking along 3rd street was pretty full. Ended up parking across from the Enquirer building. Only stayed until 8:15pm,took 15 minutes to get to my car and another hour to get home - in bed by 10:30pm!

PuffyPig
07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
The Reds recieved overwhelming support from the fans for the majority of the homestand, especially over the weekend. I don't think it's necessary to call out the fans over a few boos when the team is struggling.

When the boos occur during a game that they ultimately lost (one in a row at the end of that game) then maybe the fans are a little fickle.

We are 8-2 in our last 10 games, gaining 2 games on the Pirates, and 4 games on the Cards and Brewers.

Chip R
07-20-2012, 09:38 AM

I think the bad weather had something to do with it. Also, I think the bobblehead craze has subsided.

medford
07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
There were also a decent amount of people w/o power. There were probably a decent amount of people w/ down tree limbs, stuff blown into their yard, etc... There were probably people who planned to leave the office/work at 4:00 get home, change grab the kids and get down to the park by 6:30. @ 5:30, I was driving on the highway about 30 mph around mason. Frankly, I'm not sure I should have been on the road at all given how hard the rain was coming down.

Its not like a mild thunderstorm came down, it was raining about as hard as I've ever seen in rain in SW ohio. Its the kind of rain people hunker down wherever they're at and wait it out, rather than going and driving thru it. I think its understandable that attendance was down, bobble head or no bobble head.

bucksfan2
07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I didn't have power until the next morning. If I had tickets I wouldn't have gone to the game.

mth123
07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I think the bad weather had something to do with it. Also, I think the bobblehead craze has subsided.

Wonder how much people knowing ahead of time that they wouldn't get to see Joey Votto play had to do with it.

I could see a lot of people who can only fit a few games into the budget wanting to wait until Joey's back before ponying up for the game and all its other expenses. I'd guess that hurt the walk-up crowd.

Chip R
07-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Wonder how much people knowing ahead of time that they wouldn't get to see Joey Votto play had to do with it.

I could see a lot of people who can only fit a few games into the budget wanting to wait until Joey's back before ponying up for the game and all its other expenses. I'd guess that hurt the walk-up crowd.

That could be too. Just could have been a perfect storm - pardon the pun - of weather problems and Votto being on the DL that hurt the walkup crowd.

johngalt
07-20-2012, 01:25 PM

If there's rain anywhere within 12 hours of a Reds game, it affects attendance. Trust me.

redsmetz
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
I just talked to someone from the Reds HOF about the vouchers we get for being members (four ticket vouchers - great deal) to see if we could just walk up to the window to get tickets, as opposed to having to come down ahead of time. He answered by question and when I said we were thinking of coming down tonight, he was confident there would be tickets available, but he noted there have been some lines out there.

Excitement is brewing.

redsfan30
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM
If they don't draw 30,000 at minimum tonight, I will be disappointed.

medford
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM
the next 4 should be a great indicator of the kind of crowds they can expect on weekdays going forward this season. Mondays are typically lighter crowds, but there has to be some excitement brewing. However, they've got the Pirates series going on this weekend, which probably wasn't heavily purchased at seasons' start, but now should be a hot ticket, probably a decent chunk of sales for that series going on this week prior to walkups.

120k is probably too high a hope for the San Diego 4 game set, however 100k should be easily met the next 4 days (hopefully)

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Just got three for tonight. I'm in the upper deck along the third base line. I'm guessing 34K tonight.

medford
07-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I do wonder, how much (if any) the front office will use tonight's game to gauge just how much extra salary they can take on in a deadline deal. 34k for a monday night game would indicate that crowds going forward should be significantly higher than their original estimate, which may translate into the willingness to take on more salary in lieu of giving away better prospects.

I'd love to see 34k+ tonight.

redsmetz
07-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Just got three for tonight. I'm in the upper deck along the third base line. I'm guessing 34K tonight.

I think I'll go down early to get our tix. Doubt it will sell out, but that'll avoid the lines. Dinner won't be hard because I have tons of leftovers in the fridge, so I won't need to worry about getting dinner ready.

redsfan30
07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
The downtown area will be absolutely packed tonight with the Reds game and Monday Night Raw in town.

redsmetz
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Just got back from getting my tickets and picking up a couple of more for one of the Cardinals games. They lady at the window said she'd just gotten there, but they told her they had been busy all day. When I walked up, there were about 15 people in line and another half dozen showed up while I was waiting.

Homer Bailey
07-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Is there a particular reason people are predicting over 30K for a Monday game against the Padres? I know we're riding high on a win streak, but I'm not sure how strong the correlation is there.

redsfan30
07-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Is there a particular reason people are predicting over 30K for a Monday game against the Padres? I know we're riding high on a win streak, but I'm not sure how strong the correlation is there.

Lately, they have been drawing in the upper 20's for midweek games even against inferior opponents.

Tonight the weather is supposed to be nearly perfect for baseball and the team is coming home winners of 10 straight.

For me, 30,000 is the bar.

Crumbley
07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
I figure WWE being in town will ding the walk up. Should be a bigger crowd tomorrow.

VR
07-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Just curious....are youth baseball and soccer seasons over in Cincy?

Scrap Irony
07-30-2012, 04:07 PM
School starting in a couple weeks will surely affect attendance.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-30-2012, 04:13 PM
I figure WWE being in town will ding the walk up. Should be a bigger crowd tomorrow.

Not sure that'll have any effect, except for someone with WWE tickets who would have gone to the Reds game tonight instead. But I don't think anyone is not going to head down because downtown will be crowded.

Also, this is the first Reds-Bengals "doubleheader," so there could be some extras from that.

redsmetz
07-30-2012, 04:14 PM
School starting in a couple weeks will surely affect attendance.

My guess is the club hopes to make hay with this long home stand and the next one too (8 games). Likewise, I commented to the guy in front of me in line that the Reds must be beside themselves to be in the thick of a pennant race with the Pirates and have them in for this weekend. The final two weekends are against the Cubs and Cardinals (day/night doubleheader on August 18th) and then have the Pirates back in town mid-week in September which should bolster that. I think we've got a good chance to beef up there numbers, even with school starting later in August.

oregonred
07-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Headed down tonight to the Big GABP. Bummer on the WWE being in town tonight...

Bob Borkowski
07-30-2012, 11:06 PM
If they don't draw 30,000 at minimum tonight, I will be disappointed.

Looks like you are disappointed about now...attendance 28,140 tonite...but a nice crowd none the less.

Tony Cloninger
07-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Looks like you are disappointed about now...attendance 28,140 tonite...but a nice crowd none the less.

Nice crowd sure...but in the end of July this is all you get? After a 10 game winning streak on the road and best record in baseball?

Reds Freak
07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
When the Reds are losing, complain about the team. When the Reds are winning, complain about the attendance. Does it ever end?

cincrazy
07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Nice crowd sure...but in the end of July this is all you get? After a 10 game winning streak on the road and best record in baseball?

Take into account the low season ticket base (that is trending upwards, no doubt) and I think it was a very, very good crowd. The attendance is still building, I don't think it's fair to criticize. You can't expect everyone to come back at once after a decade of awful baseball. They lost a lot of casual fans during that stretch, it will take time to get a lot of them back.

Tony Cloninger
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
When the Reds are losing, complain about the team. When the Reds are winning, complain about the attendance. Does it ever end?

1st time here making a complaint about the attendance......and it's a legit complaint. I am talking about 1st game back after a 10 game winning streak.

cincrazy
07-31-2012, 10:08 AM
1st time here making a complaint about the attendance......and it's a legit complaint. I am talking about 1st game back after a 10 game winning streak.

Now if you want to discuss the booing that went on, I'll definitely get on the crowd about that ;)

Tony Cloninger
07-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Take into account the low season ticket base (that is trending upwards, no doubt) and I think it was a very, very good crowd. The attendance is still building, I don't think it's fair to criticize. You can't expect everyone to come back at once after a decade of awful baseball. They lost a lot of casual fans during that stretch, it will take time to get a lot of them back.

The won in 2010. They have been winning consistently since June and came off a 10 game winning streak. There is no school. Ex-Red Volquez to come and boo :D What's not to like?

cincrazy
07-31-2012, 10:13 AM
The won in 2010. They have been winning consistently since June and came off a 10 game winning streak. There is no school. Ex-Red Volquez to come and boo :D What's not to like?

I agree. But 2011 was a down year, and a lot of people I know who aren't diehards like me took the "Oh, it was a fluke year, same old Reds" stance. I think the important thing to consider is that the attendance is improving. Granted, maybe not as fast as we'd like, but it's trending upwards. And if we make a deep playoff run this year, next year should really be special.

And my brother and cousins went to boo Volquez :). They didn't want to go because they were convinced their presence would end the streak. They ended up being right haha. Unfortunately I had to work. I may be heading down for tomorrow's game, however.

Tony Cloninger
07-31-2012, 10:15 AM
I agree. But 2011 was a down year, and a lot of people I know who aren't diehards like me took the "Oh, it was a fluke year, same old Reds" stance. I think the important thing to consider is that the attendance is improving. Granted, maybe not as fast as we'd like, but it's trending upwards. And if we make a deep playoff run this year, next year should really be special.

And my brother and cousins went to boo Volquez :). They didn't want to go because they were convinced their presence would end the streak. They ended up being right haha. Unfortunately I had to work. I may be heading down for tomorrow's game, however.

I understand that people feel that way after last year. I do not know when people start forgetting last year was a fluke as well. I started feeling that way starting in June myself. In April/May...sure it looked like last year and it showed in most of my game thread comments.

Homer Bailey
07-31-2012, 11:00 AM

That's not exactly the biggest motivating factor for a casual fan to attend a game. Day of the week, opponent, etc. have a lot more impact on attendance than what kind of winning streak the team is on.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-31-2012, 11:09 AM
That's not exactly the biggest motivating factor for a casual fan to attend a game. Day of the week, opponent, etc. have a lot more impact on attendance than what kind of winning streak the team is on.

Never understood the opponent factor of going to see the Reds. If the Reds are your team, why do you need the opponent to be the Yankees, Red Sox, Cards, Cubs, Braves to get you to go to the game? If you only go for marquis opponents, bobbleheads, fireworks nights, or Saturday night games, you're probably indifferent to what the Reds current record is anyway.

In reality, those marquis opponent games are higher attendance because they include about 5,000 fans of the other team. If the Padres had 5,000 fans there last night like those other teams routinely get, attendance would have been 33K and no one would be complaining.

dsmith421
07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Never understood the opponent factor of going to see the Reds. If the Reds are your team, why do you need the opponent to be the Yankees, Red Sox, Cards, Cubs, Braves to get you to go to the game? If you only go for marquis opponents, bobbleheads, fireworks nights, or Saturday night games, you're probably indifferent to what the Reds current record is anyway.

Totally disagree with that. I'm fortunate to have the financial flexibility, an understanding family, and live in close enough proximity to attend 40 games a year. A lot of people have to pick and choose their 3, 5, 8 games - and might choose to do so when a Bonds/Clemens/whoever type are playing the Reds or when the club is playing St. Louis or another big-name foe. That doesn't mean they are ignorant to the club's fortunes, it just means they aren't able to attend often. There's also a lot of people living in outlying areas who have a commute that makes getting to GABP for a 7:10 start completely impossible and choose weekend games instead.

I have never understood the impulse to criticize fellow supporters of a club, but for those who insist that Reds fans are insufficiently supporting the team, I'd suggest you check the attendance for mid-week series in 2010, 1999, 1990, 1981, and even 1975-76 in July and early August. All that info is on bb-ref. The Reds have never regularly bested 30,000 in games that fit that profile. Whether that's the market size or the culture I don't pretend to know but it's not something new or particularly unique in Cincinnati.

Homer Bailey
07-31-2012, 11:25 AM

In reality, those marquis opponent games are higher attendance because they include about 5,000 fans of the other team. If the Padres had 5,000 fans there last night like those other teams routinely get, attendance would have been 33K and no one would be complaining.

Again, we're not talking about RedsZone posters. We're talking about casual fans. A casual fan is much, much, much more likely to go to a game against the Cardinals than they are against the Padres. It's the same way I am with Cubs games. If I get invited to a game and they're playing the Padres, I'm not likely to go. I went to a game this year against the Phillies just because I wanted to watch Halladay pitch. Now I'm far from even a casual Cubs fan, but let's not act like a Reds/Padres game is as intriguing of a game as a Reds/Phillies or Reds/Cardinals game is.

medford
07-31-2012, 11:30 AM
because even the casual fan enjoys watching the reds play good teams vs say the 2012 Astros. The Dodgers, Braves, Cubs, Cards, etc.. all bring visions of rivalries past or present. The average fan is going for more than just the Reds, they're going for the whole experience and facing a team that you is either good or one you have a long history of rooting against makes the experience more enjoyable.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Totally disagree with that. I'm fortunate to have the financial flexibility, an understanding family, and live in close enough proximity to attend 40 games a year. A lot of people have to pick and choose their 3, 5, 8 games - and might choose to do so when a Bonds/Clemens/whoever type are playing the Reds or when the club is playing St. Louis or another big-name foe. That doesn't mean they are ignorant to the club's fortunes, it just means they aren't able to attend often. There's also a lot of people living in outlying areas who have a commute that makes getting to GABP for a 7:10 start completely impossible and choose weekend games instead.

I have never understood the impulse to criticize fellow supporters of a club, but for those who insist that Reds fans are insufficiently supporting the team, I'd suggest you check the attendance for mid-week series in 2010, 1999, 1990, 1981, and even 1975-76 in July and early August. All that info is on bb-ref. The Reds have never regularly bested 30,000 in games that fit that profile. Whether that's the market size or the culture I don't pretend to know but it's not something new or particularly unique in Cincinnati.

Milwaukee is a smaller metro than Cincinnati, it also has "outlying areas," starts its games at 7:10 and plays the exact same opponents - including the Padres and D'Backs - that the Reds do. They don't have nearly the franchise history that Cincinnati has. And they haven't been all that more successful than the Reds the last few years; I'd argue, in fact, that they've been a bigger letdown to their fan base with some dreary seasons and failing to retain their stars (Fielder, Greinke). Yet they routinely pack Miller Park for any and all games, regardless of all the factors that Cincinnati fans whine about for not going.

Look at Denver: Slightly larger metro but not much in the way of "outlying areas" at all to draw from; miserable team; despised ownership; no history; no rivals; no dome and vastly more unpredictable weather; fourth most popular team in town after Broncos, Avs and Nuggets ... yet they significantly outdraw the Reds year in and year out.

dsmith421
07-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Yet they routinely pack Miller Park for any and all games, regardless of all the factors that Cincinnati fans whine about for not going.

So advocate the relocation of the franchise then, because this is how Cincinnati fans operate and have operated for a half-century.

westofyou
07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
So advocate the relocation of the franchise then, because this is how Cincinnati fans operate and have operated for a half-century.
Actually longer, last of the original 16 teams to hit a million, only team today with an attendance record from the 70's.

They have always had a hard time filling the stands, hence being the first with lights.

Let's not forget the 1870 team experienced apathy from the locals as soon as they lost a game and the decline in attendance was a factor in the team being broken up and dispersing.

It's in the fabric of the town for sure

Bob Borkowski
07-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Tonite (7-31) the attendance was 20,356...not so hot. We'll make up it this weekend. :)

Chip R
08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
They said that Saturday's game is sold out on TV last night. Now whether that's a 38K sellout or a 42,271 sellout, I don't know.

Tony Cloninger
08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
They said that Saturday's game is sold out on TV last night. Now whether that's a 38K sellout or a 42,271 sellout, I don't know.

How are both considered sell outs? Excuse my ignorance on the matter. Thanks

mbgrayson
08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Tonite (7-31) the attendance was 20,356...not so hot. We'll make up it this weekend. :)

Wednesday 8/1/12 attendance was 20,527. Padres not a big draw.

Tony Cloninger
08-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Actually longer, last of the original 16 teams to hit a million, only team today with an attendance record from the 70's.

They have always had a hard time filling the stands, hence being the first with lights.

Let's not forget the 1870 team experienced apathy from the locals as soon as they lost a game and the decline in attendance was a factor in the team being broken up and dispersing.

It's in the fabric of the town for sure

I know...you know your facts..... and if that is a fact, then that is pretty pathetic. Beacuse of that we get stuck with the Boston Red Sox. :laugh:

medford
08-02-2012, 09:22 AM
I know...you know your facts..... and if that is a fact, then that is pretty pathetic. Beacuse of that we get stuck with the Boston Red Sox. :laugh:

At least we didn't have to suffer the "curse of the Babe" all those years :)

So for the 1st three, they had 69,023 fans in attendance. My original proclamation prior to this series was that 120k would be nice but unlikely, while 100k should be easily meet (hopefully) Well I'm guessing they'll get over that 100k mark this afternoon w/ the conclusion of this 4 game series, but it certainly won't be easily meet. They'll need 30,977 this afternoon to get there. Nice day, lots of sunshine, I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 32,000 this afternoon. We'll see how good I am at guessing these things later today.

Chip R
08-02-2012, 09:24 AM
How are both considered sell outs? Excuse my ignorance on the matter. Thanks

I wondered that myself for quite a while. I believe John Galt - who works for the Reds, IIRC - said on here that it's considered a sellout if there are only single seats left for sale i.e. no two next to each other. So, theoretically, I suppose you could have a sellout and only sell 21K seats as long as there aren't two unsold seats next to each other.

wolfboy
08-02-2012, 09:26 AM
I wondered that myself for quite a while. I believe John Galt - who works for the Reds, IIRC - said on here that it's considered a sellout if there are only single seats left for sale i.e. no two next to each other. So, theoretically, I suppose you could have a sellout and only sell 21K seats as long as there aren't two unsold seats next to each other.

Who is John Galt?

Sea Ray
08-02-2012, 09:32 AM

It also depends on how many free seats they give away for various reasons. The announced attendance is only for those seats that were paid for

Chip R
08-02-2012, 09:32 AM

The Red Sox organization did not exist until 1901 with the beginning of the American League. Now, several players (including George and Harry Wright) from the Cincinnati Base Ball Club a.k.a. the Red Stockings did play for the Boston Red Stockings beginning in 1871 after the Cincinnati Base Ball Club decided to revert to amateur status. That Boston Red Stockings team became the Boston Braves which eventually became the Atlanta Braves. But calling the Atlanta Braves a direct descendant of the Cincinnati Red Stockings is specious at best. It would be like if the Reds folded and Votto, Phillips and Bruce went to play for an expansion team. That expansion team wouldn't be the Reds, it would just have some former Reds players on the team.

Chip R
08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Who is John Galt?

He's a poster on here.

RedsBaron
08-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Who is John Galt?

Hero of Atlas Shrugged? ;)

MikeS21
08-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I was doing about three other things right at the moment I heard them say this. Was I imagining things or did I hear them mention that the Reds go into Pittsburg for a three game series during the last week of the season and that entire three game series is already sold out?

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Anyone know what attendance is on pace for?

I would assume you could take the average attendance so far x remaining home dates and it would be close.

I'm too lazy to look it all up. :D

Sea Ray
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I was doing about three other things right at the moment I heard them say this. Was I imagining things or did I hear them mention that the Reds go into Pittsburgh for a three game series during the last week of the season and that entire three game series is already sold out?

Yep, you heard right. They mentioned several times last night that all three games were already sold out

Chip R
08-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I was doing about three other things right at the moment I heard them say this. Was I imagining things or did I hear them mention that the Reds go into Pittsburg for a three game series during the last week of the season and that entire three game series is already sold out?

I heard the same thing.

medford
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
At least we didn't have to suffer the "curse of the Babe" all those years :)

So for the 1st three, they had 69,023 fans in attendance. My original proclamation prior to this series was that 120k would be nice but unlikely, while 100k should be easily meet (hopefully) Well I'm guessing they'll get over that 100k mark this afternoon w/ the conclusion of this 4 game series, but it certainly won't be easily meet. They'll need 30,977 this afternoon to get there. Nice day, lots of sunshine, I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 32,000 this afternoon. We'll see how good I am at guessing these things later today.

22,396 for today's business men's special. 91,419 total for the 4 game set, or 9,000 short of my easily obtainable attendance market; shows what I know:)

Now, can they make it up with 100,000+ for the next 3 games vs the Pirates?

Chip R
08-02-2012, 04:31 PM

If Saturday is sold out, they only need ~30K for Friday and Saturday. If this were 2005, I'd say that would be a stretch. This year, that's very attainable.

redsfan30
08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
With Marty getting his head shaved I cannot see them not drawing 30,000 tomorrow night. Sunday's crowd could be light....mid 20,000's.

medford
08-02-2012, 04:38 PM
If Saturday is sold out, they only need ~30K for Friday and Saturday. If this were 2005, I'd say that would be a stretch. This year, that's very attainable.

I do agree with you, however I thought this series would have been 100k for 4 games.

However, with the Marty thing going on, plus the fireworks, it wouldn't surprise me to see tomorrow night's game approach a sellout, if not get there if the weather holds up.

On the flip side, I do wonder how many of the casual fans realize how good the Pirates are this year. How many assume they're another sub .500 team for the 20th(or however long) season in a row.

mdccclxix
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
I think they finish out the year with a bang and the attendance climbs well over 2.4 million. Still have a 4 game weekend set with the Cubs, 3 game weekender with the Cards and Dodgers, this weekends 3 games set with Pit and a weekend late in the season with Houston. Then weekday series with Philly, an attractive draw, the final home series with Milwaukee is weekday, and a Mets series during the week, and a Pit series late during the week. I think they can average 35k down the stretch, nearing 2.5 mil on the year!

Chip R
08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
On the flip side, I do wonder how many of the casual fans realize how good the Pirates are this year. How many assume they're another sub .500 team for the 20th(or however long) season in a row.

If they are casual fans, and the weather is good and the Reds are winning, it probably doesn't matter who they are playing. But if you get at least 35K on Friday then you only need 25K on Sunday to get 100K for the weekend.

paintmered
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Saw this on Cincinnati's sub-Reddit.

http://i.imgur.com/Qe6fz.jpg

Tom Servo
08-05-2012, 02:39 PM
awesome pic

Bob Borkowski
08-05-2012, 02:42 PM
A sea of red.

_Sir_Charles_
08-05-2012, 03:25 PM
That's a beautiful sight to see. Let's hope we see more of that all the way to the finish line.

reds1869
08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
The start to finish atmosphere Friday and Saturday was the best I've experienced for a regular season game at GABP. The intensity matched--and possibly exceeded--the playoff game with the Phillies.

Sea Ray
08-05-2012, 07:35 PM
22,396 for today's business men's special. 91,419 total for the 4 game set, or 9,000 short of my easily obtainable attendance market; shows what I know:)

No problem. They averaged 40,343 per game over the weekend for a total of 121K for the three game series and things were awfully "Red" downtown all weekend. Unlike football season, there weren't many Pittsburgh colors to be seen

Vottomatic
08-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Just went to Larosa's in Lebanon and the place was packed with Reds jerseys. Waitress (my daughter) told me there was a special going on.........free small 2 topping pizza. Too bad those fans picked the losing game to go to.

Vottomatic
08-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Anyone know what attendance is on pace for?

I would assume you could take the average attendance so far x remaining home dates and it would be close.

I'm too lazy to look it all up. :D

Baseball-reference.com has them averaging 29,021 per home game which is actually less than 2003 when the stadium opened. That seems hard to believe. This was with the record 66-41. Doesn't include today's loss, I don't think.

The 1993 Reds drew 2.45M fans.
The 1990 drew 2.4 fans.
Drew 2.6M in 1976.

1956 was the first year in Reds history that the team drew over 1M fans. At Crosley Field.

Chip R
08-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Just went to Larosa's in Lebanon and the place was packed with Reds jerseys. Waitress (my daughter) told me there was a special going on.........free small 2 topping pizza. Too bad those fans picked the losing game to go to.

and ice cream. When the Reds strike out 10, you can get a free pizza and ice cream at LaRosas.

KittyDuran
08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
and ice cream. When the Reds strike out 10, you can get a free pizza and ice cream at LaRosas.

KittyDuran needs to correct Chip... It's 11 strikeouts. The ice cream is in the form of a voucher that can be redeemed at UDF.

medford
08-06-2012, 09:55 AM
No problem. They averaged 40,343 per game over the weekend for a total of 121K for the three game series and things were awfully "Red" downtown all weekend. Unlike football season, there weren't many Pittsburgh colors to be seen

I had wondered if 120k was possible, knowing that Saturday was a sellout and the Marty thing was sure to bring in large crowds friday night, nice to see a strong showing sunday as well.

Cast must be pleased.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Great article with the latest attendance and TV ratings numbers:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2012/08/reds-fans-pour-into-great-american.html

dougdirt
08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Great article with the latest attendance and TV ratings numbers:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2012/08/reds-fans-pour-into-great-american.html

The Reds attendance is up 5%. The rest of MLB's attendance is up 5%.

Homer Bailey
08-07-2012, 02:49 PM
The Reds attendance is up 5%. The rest of MLB's attendance is up 5%.

That's a little misleading though, IMO. Reds attendance to date is up much more than 5%, although I don't know where to find the data for that.

dougdirt
08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
That's a little misleading though, IMO. Reds attendance to date is up much more than 5%, although I don't know where to find the data for that.

Through 56 home games this year the Reds have sold 1,634,793 tickets. Through 56 home games last year the Reds had sold 1,562,321 tickets.

That is a 4.6% increase from last year.

mdccclxix
08-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I think the rotating championships has helped spread a lot of goodwill around good size markets in SF, Philly, St. Louis, Texas, etc. There are a lot of teams averaging 34K+. Hard to imagine the Reds getting there, but a WS appearance would go a long way.

REDREAD
08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I think the rotating championships has helped spread a lot of goodwill around good size markets in SF, Philly, St. Louis, Texas, etc. There are a lot of teams averaging 34K+. Hard to imagine the Reds getting there, but a WS appearance would go a long way.

Yes, I actually think they will get a nice bump in attendence next year if they make the playoffs. 2011, they got a roughly 10% bump from 2010. The 2010 team disappointed.

As an example, they got about another 500k in attendence after 1999. Sure, some of that was Jr, but a lot of it was also due to 1999 .. Then when 2000 stunk, they plumpted from 2.57 million to 1.87 milion.

If the Reds do better in the playoffs than they did in 2010, that will be really nice.

The league average attendence is about 2.5 million.. if the Reds go to the playoffs, I think that's attainable next year.

Homer Bailey
08-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Through 56 home games this year the Reds have sold 1,634,793 tickets. Through 56 home games last year the Reds had sold 1,562,321 tickets.

That is a 4.6% increase from last year.

I stand corrected then. I thought it was indicated earlier in the thread that the Reds were up about 10% or so, but I must have read it wrong.

Where could I find that data in the future?

Homer Bailey
08-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Attendance numbers continue to climb.

St. Louis @ Cincinnati (July 13-15)
Friday Night - 40,217
Saturday Afternoon - 37,583
Sunday Night - 39,280

Reds Average Attendance through 42 home games:
2012 - 29,155
2011 - 26,183
2010 - 22,599
2009 - 24,905

This was from 7/16. Has attendance really dipped that much over the last few weeks?

Also by my count, the Reds average attendance is up 6.82% over the total average attendance for 2011.

oregonred
08-07-2012, 04:40 PM
The Reds packed them in pretty good last summer then tailed off in mid-August, plus a sold out weekday Yankees series helped. They have several weekend series left this season including 7 of the next 10 games. Plus another Pirate weekday series and two more weekend series in September.

13 weekend, 12weekday.
35K weekends = 460K
12 weekday = 300K

Just shy of 2.4M this season. Chance to go higher since the Cards weekend (95% chance) and Pirates weekday could all be sellouts.

They've turned the attendance corner on weekends, in 2013 they have to work on the season ticket base and more weekday to promotions to boost the midweek numbers higher.

31K announced in Milwaukee last night and looked about half that on the TV. Season tickets.

Here's a good real time comparison link.

medford
08-17-2012, 09:24 AM
3 game set vs the Mets:
23,137 (thursday evening w/ rain in the forecast)
26,082 (wednesday evening, nice night)
26,113 (Tuesday evening w/ school starting the next morning in many places)

Total = 75,332, roughly 25,110 a night.

It will be interesting to see what they draw this weekend, 4 games including the day night double header on saturday. The cubbies typically draw well, wouldn't surprise me to see 35k+ each game, but how does the day-night double header play into things. Weather is supposed to be good all weekend, but football, soccer, etc.. are starting to get going in full force across the tri-state.

HeatherC1212
08-17-2012, 09:28 AM
I heard the other day that Sunday's game is all ready a sell out and Saturday night's game is very close to being sold out as well.

Chip R
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
I wonder what attendance will be like for the day game on Saturday since it isn't a regularly scheduled game?

Hoosier Red
08-17-2012, 11:28 AM
This was from 7/16. Has attendance really dipped that much over the last few weeks?

Also by my count, the Reds average attendance is up 6.82% over the total average attendance for 2011.

One of the reasons it can be deceptive to measure the progress through X Number of games is that through 42 games the Reds were so far ahead of last year's pace, but games 43-50 last year were two games with Cleveland, 3 with St. Louis, and 3 against Atlanta. The Average attendance for those 8 games was 31,167.

At the end of the year, the Reds will probably be up about 5%, but during the course of the year there may be lumps of being more or less than 5% above last year's attendance.

vaticanplum
08-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I wonder what attendance will be like for the day game on Saturday since it isn't a regularly scheduled game?

I imagine there will be a ton of Cubbies fans in Cincinnati this weekend. The chance to be drunk for four straight games in nice weather, with your team as losing-y as ever -- my god, it's like mecca for them.

(I'm sorry, I'll get nicer; I just want to make it clear that I still hate Cubs fans the most.)

Chip R
08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I imagine there will be a ton of Cubbies fans in Cincinnati this weekend. The chance to be drunk for four straight games in nice weather, with your team as losing-y as ever -- my god, it's like mecca for them.

(I'm sorry, I'll get nicer; I just want to make it clear that I still hate Cubs fans the most.)

What are you apologizing about? :confused: You're preaching to the choir here.

It sure seemed like the Reds fans were out in full force in CHI last week. I'm not real certain they will show up like you think this weekend.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-18-2012, 01:27 AM
35,322 tonight - higher than the Nationals or Braves drew tonight.

OnBaseMachine
08-18-2012, 01:51 PM
According to the Reds twitter feed, tonight's and tomorrows games against the Cubs are sellouts. It will be the 12th and 13th sellouts of the season, a new single season GABP record.

cincrazy
08-18-2012, 02:08 PM
With the arrival of Hamilton, and this team's continued success, I only see attendance growing from here.

Chip R
08-18-2012, 04:53 PM
28,754 for the game today. Not bad for a makeup game.

WildcatFan
08-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I was at the game last night and it looked like there were significantly fewer Cubs fans there than I normally see at GABP. It was a refreshing feeling.

Unrelated, it was basically the best baseball weather I've ever seen. Just a perfect night.

Vottomatic
08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Good weather/temperature's for going to the games. Unusual August temperature's right now.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-19-2012, 01:24 AM
I was at the game last night and it looked like there were significantly fewer Cubs fans there than I normally see at GABP. It was a refreshing feeling.

Unrelated, it was basically the best baseball weather I've ever seen. Just a perfect night.

They were all over tonight - like cockroaches under a woodpile in the backyard. And they were loud and clapping and high-fiving all night long. Nothing deters them - not their team's record of futility, not fifth place in the standings, not a hilarious culture of failure, not even the scoreboard.

They are so obnoxious it's borderline intolerable. And it's not just here - when I lived in Colorado they were all over Coors Field too. I'd just as soon not go to games when the Cubs are in town.

I'm sad to see the Astros leave the National League because, frankly, they're the only other team or team's fan base that I can stand from our division. The Cubs are poisonous and obnoxious, the Cardinals are arrogant and evil, the Pirates are from Pittsburgh so I'll never even warm up to indifference toward them, and the Brewers are just plain annoying, and they're Bud Selig's favorite team. The Astros have always been OK.

vaticanplum
08-19-2012, 01:44 AM
What are you apologizing about? :confused: You're preaching to the choir here.

I've been bad-mouthing Pirates fans a lot here lately. I just want to make it clear that Cubs fans are still the worst.

Tom Servo
08-19-2012, 01:45 AM
–The sellout house of 41,236 was the Reds’ 12th this season. The Reds said Sunday will be another sellout and will set a GABP single-season mark of 13 sellouts.

KittyDuran
08-19-2012, 07:47 AM
They were all over tonight - like cockroaches under a woodpile in the backyard. And they were loud and clapping and high-fiving all night long. Nothing deters them - not their team's record of futility, not fifth place in the standings, not a hilarious culture of failure, not even the scoreboard.

They are so obnoxious it's borderline intolerable. And it's not just here - when I lived in Colorado they were all over Coors Field too. I'd just as soon not go to games when the Cubs are in town.

I'm sad to see the Astros leave the National League because, frankly, they're the only other team or team's fan base that I can stand from our division. The Cubs are poisonous and obnoxious, the Cardinals are arrogant and evil, the Pirates are from Pittsburgh so I'll never even warm up to indifference toward them, and the Brewers are just plain annoying, and they're Bud Selig's favorite team. The Astros have always been OK.

Yeah, I mentioned in the game threads about the size and behavior of the Cubs fans in the past two games I attended. :(

BTW Houston fans had the most miles to travel. If they were any closer I'm sure they would be swarming GABP.

mdccclxix
08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Reds are at 1,857,062 for the year. 18 home games left. I think they average 37,000 because there are 4 weekend series including Larkin/Cards weekend, an LA weekend, and the final weekend, which always does well. That could put them over 2.5 million.

HeatherC1212
08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
I went to two games this weekend with the annoying Cub fans all around and I'd rather not do it again anytime soon. :( Saturday night was awful with six or seven of them two rows behind me drunk and yelling at the players all night. It was extra challenging for my friends and I to deal with considering they brought their 4.5 year old son with them to this game (they had to keep telling him not to repeat any of the bad stuff he was hearing all evening). :eek: I'll repeat what I posted on Twitter and said at the ballpark both Saturday and yesterday: At the end of this weekend, no matter what happens, the Reds will still be in first place....and the Cubs will still be the Cubs. ;)

Glad they don't come back here for the rest of this year. WOOT! :beerme:

Chip R
08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Reds are at 1,857,062 for the year. 18 home games left. I think they average 37,000 because there are 4 weekend series including Larkin/Cards weekend, an LA weekend, and the final weekend, which always does well. That could put them over 2.5 million.

They may start taking a bit of a hit in September with school back in session. It's 9 games with Philly, PIT and MIL.

redsfan30
08-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Next weekend with the Cardinals in town plus Barry Larkin weekend if they don't draw over 100,000 something is not right.

Also have to figure as we go down the stretch and get closer to clinching a playoff spot that will draw big crowds as well.

Even with school and high school football starting, there should be quite a few sellouts down the stretch.

mdccclxix
08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Possible, but Pit is in contention and the Mil series is the finale. Philly has some cache, too. The weekend series will all be 40+ per game, I think, with the St. Louis one at 42+ for each.

Chip R
08-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Possible, but Pit is in contention and the Mil series is the finale. Philly has some cache, too. The weekend series will all be 40+ per game, I think, with the St. Louis one at 42+ for each.

I agree but if you look at the history of Reds attendance, it doesn't matter who they are playing or how good the Reds are, they struggle to draw over 20K for those weekday games in September. I think the weekend series will be gangbusters with the possible exception of the HOU series the 2nd weekend of September.

Caveat Emperor
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I agree but if you look at the history of Reds attendance, it doesn't matter who they are playing or how good the Reds are, they struggle to draw over 20K for those weekday games in September. I think the weekend series will be gangbusters with the possible exception of the HOU series the 2nd weekend of September.

Welcome to Cincinnati -- where apparently we have laws that kids can't be awake past 9PM on a school night.

redsmetz
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Welcome to Cincinnati -- where apparently we have laws that kids can't be awake past 9PM on a school night.

Here's the thing, with the average game length being nearly 3 hours, a 7:05 game will end at 10 p.m. With 15-20 minutes to exit the park and get to your car, that makes it even later. Just for the folks who live within the I-275 loop, that's putting them home anywhere from 10:40 to 11:00. And for folks who are from 40+ miles or more, it's even later. Now high school kids handle that all of the time, but with younger kids. With such a wide area from which our fan base traverses, if you're looking at an hour or two coming and going, then add in a school night, especially for younger kids, it's not like that's not a real issue.

I'd be curious to see a team by team breakdown for week night attendance for the first six weeks of the year and the final six weeks of the year. My guess is it's a pattern that crosses pretty much every team, although I would guess there's a couple of exceptions there too.

KittyDuran
08-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Here's the thing, with the average game length being nearly 3 hours, a 7:05 game will end at 10 p.m. With 15-20 minutes to exit the park and get to your car, that makes it even later. Just for the folks who live within the I-275 loop, that's putting them home anywhere from 10:40 to 11:00. And for folks who are from 40+ miles or more, it's even later. Now high school kids handle that all of the time, but with younger kids. With such a wide area from which our fan base traverses, if you're looking at an hour or two coming and going, then add in a school night, especially for younger kids, it's not like that's not a real issue.

I'd be curious to see a team by team breakdown for week night attendance for the first six weeks of the year and the final six weeks of the year. My guess is it's a pattern that crosses pretty much every team, although I would guess there's a couple of exceptions there too.
This ^^^ and thank you. It is so hard for me to explain to others why I don't go to many weeknight games. I live about 30 miles away with 15 miles a state route to get home. How redsmetz broke down the time is correct. I went to my first tweetup last Thursday but took off Friday. I knew that it would be past 11pm before getting home and my alarm goes off at 5am. Then there is a 30 mile drive to get to work. There was no way I could function properly at work after that. Now if I lived within the 275 loop I'd have full season tickets!

mbgrayson
08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Good post. To me, this may explain why the really big cities like New York, Chicago, and LA can always beat us in attendance: they have more people without school age kids that are still willing to attend the weeknight games in the spring and fall.

Sea Ray
08-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Good post. To me, this may explain why the really big cities like New York, Chicago, and LA can always beat us in attendance: they have more people without school age kids that are still willing to attend the weeknight games in the spring and fall.

As Kitty showed, it's not just about school kids. Many adults don't want to deal with getting up for work the next day after a late Reds game either. I know I'm one of those

Caveat Emperor
08-20-2012, 03:30 PM
As Kitty showed, it's not just about school kids. Many adults don't want to deal with getting up for work the next day after a late Reds game either. I know I'm one of those

I understand -- but if my team is in the middle of a pennant run, I don't think I'd let a few late nights / bad mornings bother me. There's absolutely no way of knowing when this kind of season will come around again.

But, that's just me.

bucksfan2
08-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I understand -- but if my team is in the middle of a pennant run, I don't think I'd let a few late nights / bad mornings bother me. There's absolutely no way of knowing when this kind of season will come around again.

But, that's just me.

I went to the Reds Tigers Sunday night game. Granted Dusty managed that game like it was game 7 of the WS but it took about 3.5 hours to play. I didn't get home until around midnight and it made for a long day on Monday. I will not be attending another Sunday night game, its just too easy to turn the clicker off and head up stairs and be asleep in 10 minutes.

redsmetz
08-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I went to two games this weekend with the annoying Cub fans all around and I'd rather not do it again anytime soon. :( Saturday night was awful with six or seven of them two rows behind me drunk and yelling at the players all night. It was extra challenging for my friends and I to deal with considering they brought their 4.5 year old son with them to this game (they had to keep telling him not to repeat any of the bad stuff he was hearing all evening). :eek: I'll repeat what I posted on Twitter and said at the ballpark both Saturday and yesterday: At the end of this weekend, no matter what happens, the Reds will still be in first place....and the Cubs will still be the Cubs. ;)

Glad they don't come back here for the rest of this year. WOOT! :beerme:

We had our first bad experience with drunken fans at our regular seats. They came drunk and consumed a lot more. Every other word was foul. I couldn't remember the number to register a complaint by text either. We finally moved it was so despicable.

Wonderful Monds
08-20-2012, 05:24 PM

Cincinnati is a conservative and family oriented city and region. Does this surprise you?

Yachtzee
08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Maybe the Reds could do more to get the college kids and young professionals out during the week.

Wonderful Monds
08-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Maybe the Reds could do more to get the college kids and young professionals out during the week.

Sort of lacking in those areas.

KittyDuran
08-20-2012, 08:51 PM
I went to the Reds Tigers Sunday night game. Granted Dusty managed that game like it was game 7 of the WS but it took about 3.5 hours to play. I didn't get home until around midnight and it made for a long day on Monday. I will not be attending another Sunday night game, its just too easy to turn the clicker off and head up stairs and be asleep in 10 minutes.The game was originally for 1:10pm and got changed - I had a season ticket but turned it in because I couldn't take off Monday (return it for the 9/3 game). But I did take off Monday for the Sunday 7/15 game vs Cards.

BTW, went to 4 games instead of 5 the past 4 days, and still feeling it today - was dragging at work. :p

HeatherC1212
08-20-2012, 10:42 PM
The game was originally for 1:10pm and got changed - I had a season ticket but turned it in because I couldn't take off Monday (return it for the 9/3 game). But I did take off Monday for the Sunday 7/15 game vs Cards.

BTW, went to 4 games instead of 5 the past 4 days, and still feeling it today - was dragging at work. :p

I can't believe you went to that many games and we never saw each other at GABP! I was there last Wednesday and Thursday, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon. That's just wrong! Bummed I missed seeing you there! :(