PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Attendance

Pages : 1 2 [3]

KittyDuran
08-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Well, Thursday was the tweetup. Got my t-shirt. Went to get my passport stamped then headed to get tickets for Friday nights game left by Chip. Was in lines both places so I didn't get to socialize. I was in 140 Moon Deck that night. Upper deck 528 Friday and 523 Saturday night, and club 304 Sunday afternoon.

I walk around the ballpark a lot. Especially if it's nice weather. Ran into the president of my company a few times doing that. Sorry I missed you too. :(

Have tickets for Friday and Saturday vs the Cards (both in the club). Haven't decided whether to go to Sunday's game.

gilpdawg
08-21-2012, 03:32 AM
28,754 for the game today. Not bad for a makeup game.

A bunch of season ticket holders came dressed as empty seats for that game. Don't blame them, since they had to choose one game or the other. Wasn't close to 28,000 in the park for that game.

KittyDuran
08-21-2012, 06:15 AM
A bunch of season ticket holders came dressed as empty seats for that game. Don't blame them, since they had to choose one game or the other. Wasn't close to 28,000 in the park for that game.

Was the make-up game originally a weekday game? The 28+K was probably the tickets sold for the May game plus any tickets sold when the make-up date was announced.

gilpdawg
08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
I believe it was.

bucksfan2
08-21-2012, 12:03 PM
I would have to imagine that the Reds being in contention late in the season will boost attendance. In non competitive years the stadium would be empty for late August and September games. However it appears as if the tickets are still a hot commodity for late season games.

HeatherC1212
08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Saturday's game is all ready a sell out. I guess I'll have to check out Stub Hub since we haven't bought our tickets yet (rough plumbing issues at home distracted us from getting them this past weekend). :(

dougdirt
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
We had our first bad experience with drunken fans at our regular seats. They came drunk and consumed a lot more. Every other word was foul. I couldn't remember the number to register a complaint by text either. We finally moved it was so despicable.

Next time just tell an usher.

Vottomatic
08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Averaging 29,477 per home game. 18 home games left = 2,387,648 if the average per game holds up.

The Operator
08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Today was another sell out, the 15th of the year which extends an already broken record.

I love seeing the ballpark packed like it has been lately.

Brutus
08-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I've posted this before, but I think it's an important consideration: Cincinnati's metro area, as defined by the U.S. Census CSA/CBSA designations, is 2.1 million people in size. Even excluding the two super markets, New York and Los Angeles, the average CSA size of the other 24 Major League clubs is 5.5 million. So Cincinnati is less than half the size of the average market. Only Kansas City and Milwaukee are smaller.

Expecting large crowds with such a small area to draw from is not practical. The Reds have a larger geographical fan base, but you can't expect families to come in from 2 hours away on a school/work night and get home at 1 AM or later.

Bob Borkowski
09-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Averaging 29,477 per home game. 18 home games left = 2,387,648 if the average per game holds up.

17,806 at tonight's Reds/Phillies game (9-4).

Week-night, school in session so back to the basic attendance total, I guess, no matter where we are in the standings.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-05-2012, 01:18 AM
The Reds are hardly unique in struggling with Tuesday attendance once school is in session. And despite the damp weather lingering over the Tri-state, Cincinnati still outdrew the following contenders tonight:

Atlanta, in the thick of the WC race: 16,668

Washington, enjoying pennant fever for the first time in decades: 17, 648

The White Sox, leading the AL Central: 15,698

Pittsburgh, only two back in the WC standings: 12,785

Tampa Bay, vs. the big bad, hugely popular Yankees: 17,652

Toronto, vs. the red-hot O's: 13,556

harangatang
09-05-2012, 01:32 AM
We had our first bad experience with drunken fans at our regular seats. They came drunk and consumed a lot more. Every other word was foul. I couldn't remember the number to register a complaint by text either. We finally moved it was so despicable.I didn't know there was number to text, but we experienced the same thing tonight. I doubt I'll make it to another game this year, but if anyone knows I'm sure others would appreciate the number. The group left after the 7th inning stretch because they couldn't get any more beer and I remarked after they left to the people around, "I would've thought they were Phillies fans if I didn't know any better!" Granted, there was no vomit around!

dougdirt
09-05-2012, 01:40 AM
I didn't know there was number to text, but we experienced the same thing tonight. I doubt I'll make it to another game this year, but if anyone knows I'm sure others would appreciate the number. The group left after the 7th inning stretch because they couldn't get any more beer and I remarked after they left to the people around, "I would've thought they were Phillies fans if I didn't know any better!" Granted, there was no vomit around!
The ushers are there for a reason. Go talk to one of them. They can handle it just as easily as a text message.

harangatang
09-05-2012, 01:51 AM
The ushers are there for a reason. Go talk to one of them. They can handle it just as easily as a text message.I think texting allows for a little bit more of anonymity. I saw your post earlier and had considered talking to an usher. However, I didn't know if they would just warn them and if so if it would make things worse. I wasn't the only one who was irked by them at the game tonight and all the other people around felt the same way as me. I know they didn't know the number and I'm sure someone would've complained.

gilpdawg
09-05-2012, 02:50 AM
I didn't know there was number to text, but we experienced the same thing tonight. I doubt I'll make it to another game this year, but if anyone knows I'm sure others would appreciate the number. The group left after the 7th inning stretch because they couldn't get any more beer and I remarked after they left to the people around, "I would've thought they were Phillies fans if I didn't know any better!" Granted, there was no vomit around!

Text REDS and your issue and seat location to 90808. I think it is shown on the scoreboard on and off all game if you look for it. I had two guys around me trying to fight each other on Cueto bobble head night. I didn't report them but it was close to getting that way. The one goober was hoarding bobbleheads and selling them out of a duffle bag. He somehow made some meathead MMA looking dude mad and I thought they were gonna throw down. The bobblehead seller got kicked out for taking more than his share and selling them them in the ballpark.

camisadelgolf
09-05-2012, 02:55 AM
We had our first bad experience with drunken fans at our regular seats. They came drunk and consumed a lot more. Every other word was foul. I couldn't remember the number to register a complaint by text either. We finally moved it was so despicable.
Probably friends of mine. Sorry about that.

gilpdawg
09-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Probably friends of mine. Sorry about that.

Nah, it was me. I didn't want to come right out and say it.

Seriously though, if you ever see a fat guy dressed in black and getting mad when people do the wave during a crucial at bat and grumbling about how sacrifice bunts kill my soul, that's most likely me. Come say hello. :D

camisadelgolf
09-05-2012, 04:14 AM
Nah, it was me. I didn't want to come right out and say it.

Seriously though, if you ever see a fat guy dressed in black and getting mad when people do the wave during a crucial at bat and grumbling about how sacrifice bunts kill my soul, that's most likely me. Come say hello. :D
I'll be in section 401, row K this Saturday. Even if I don't see you, we can still hate the wave and sacrifice bunts together.

WildcatFan
09-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Didn't see this anywhere else, but Cincinnati topped 2 million fans last night in its 63rd home game, earliest in GABP history. Still about a 1,600-fan increase per game.

mdccclxix
09-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Didn't see this anywhere else, but Cincinnati topped 2 million fans last night in its 63rd home game, earliest in GABP history. Still about a 1,600-fan increase per game.

That's great news!

I'm disappointed about the turnout, but I underestimated the power of school nights. I think it's clear the season ticket base will need to increase to ever see those numbers up.

WildcatFan
09-05-2012, 11:20 AM
That's great news!

I think it's clear the season ticket base will need to increase to ever see those numbers up.

That's the key. I've never had season tickets to anything, so I don't know what incentives there are to buy them other than per-game cost savings, but it seems to me growing the base should be a HUGE push in the offseason.

cincrazy
09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm currently watching the Braves-Rockies afternoon game. There seems to be five popcorn vendors for every one fan.

REDREAD
09-06-2012, 03:39 PM
That's great news!

I'm disappointed about the turnout, but I underestimated the power of school nights. I think it's clear the season ticket base will need to increase to ever see those numbers up.

2011 got a nice bump from the 2010 playoff appearance.
We didn't really have that momentum to sell tickets to 2012 (since 2011 was a disappointment).
Most of the Reds offseason moves were not really the sexy type .. they were excellent moves, but not "name" players like Neagle and Vaughn that the causal fan would recognize.

I think the Reds will have very healthy ticket sales for 2013.
Hopefully the team goes deep into the playoffs and gets a lot of extra cash :)

Edd Roush
09-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Anybody have a decent estimate of what attendance will be like tomorrow night (9/7)? I am guessing less than the last 3 Friday nights (Cardinals 8/24 36,162, Cubs 8/17 35,332 and Pirates 8/3 40,829) simply because two are the Reds' biggest rivals who bring a good deal of their own fans and less than the Pirates because of the very tight playoff race at the time. Are we looking similar to 7/20 vs. the Brewers? Attendance was 30,247 that night, so I am guessing the Reds will be right around 30,000. This would mean that there should not be too many empty seats. It's a bummer it looks like the Reds won't be doing fireworks after the game as they have done on most Fridays this summer.

redsfan30
09-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Tomorrow night's attendance could be kept down due to Friday Night Lights and the fact that the Astros are not a draw.

I'd guess in the 25,000 to 30,000 range.

redsmetz
09-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Tomorrow night's attendance could be kept down due to Friday Night Lights and the fact that the Astros are not a draw.

They are doing the 4 for $48 deal the entire weekend with a free hat, so that might bump it up a little bit. My wife & I bought the deal and are going with my sister and her husband.

johngalt
09-06-2012, 07:33 PM
This weekend I'd guess we're looking at approximately...

Friday - 26,0000
Saturday - 32,000
Sunday - 30,000

The Dodgers series later in the month should be a real big one.

HeatherC1212
09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
This weekend I'd guess we're looking at approximately...

Friday - 26,0000 :eek:
Saturday - 32,000
Sunday - 30,000

The Dodgers series later in the month should be a real big one.

Whoa, that's a whole lot of people, LOL :lol:

I'm going to two of the three games during the Dodgers series (Friday and Sunday) so I'm hoping for great crowds to support the guys. The Friday game of that series is also the last Reds Tweet Up of the season so it should be pretty packed in that area again. And if the magic number keeps moving like it has lately, that could also be a clinching weekend for the guys... *crossing fingers since I have really good seats for both of my games* :D :thumbup: :beerme:

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Not to mention, it's supposed to be a stormy night throughout the Tri-state. Coupled with the brutally horrific opponent and high-school football - including the Colerain/St. X whopper - I'd say you're right.

Sea Ray
09-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Attendance last night was not good:

Ouch.

Maybe it's hard to pry Cincinnati folks away from their HS football games

reds1869
09-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Ouch.

All anyone could talk about at work yesterday was high school football. As someone who isn't originally from Cincinnati and answers the question of where I went to school with the name of my college, it is always strange for me. I guess I just don't get it, but perhaps it has to do with the lack of private schools where I grew up; where you went to school was a function of lines on a map, not personal choice.

KittyDuran
09-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Not to mention, it's supposed to be a stormy night throughout the Tri-state. Coupled with the brutally horrific opponent and high-school football - including the Colerain/St. X whopper - I'd say you're right.
The weather played a factor in it for me... I went but left in the T8.

Tony Cloninger
09-09-2012, 11:23 AM
All anyone could talk about at work yesterday was high school football. As someone who isn't originally from Cincinnati and answers the question of where I went to school with the name of my college, it is always strange for me. I guess I just don't get it, but perhaps it has to do with the lack of private schools where I grew up; where you went to school was a function of lines on a map, not personal choice.

I agree. I just do not get this. With all respect to the kids and families who play.....the Reds are having a great year and their attendance is barely going to be better than last year's at this rate. This is a joke.

Vottomatic
09-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Ouch.

Weather was predicted to be off and on heavy storms. I'm not surprised.

Hoosier Red
09-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I agree. I just do not get this. With all respect to the kids and families who play.....the Reds are having a great year and their attendance is barely going to be better than last year's at this rate. This is a joke.

I know its not fun, but you have to be patient wrt to attendance.

Every fan base needs to build it's base through season tickets and partial season ticket fans. There are just too many other things for an extra 5,000 or 10,000 people to decide to buy a ticket to 40-50 some odd games per year.

First you get a season ticket base. Then you get the marginal fans to show up at the "big games" (The Reds broke a GABP record for number of sell outs this year. Then you grow the season ticket base. And then some of the marginal fans get shutout of a big game they wanted to see and decide they better a) buy season tickets or at least a package or b) go to a less big game.

With all that said, through 71 games, the Reds have averaged 29,363 which would be a 7.5% improvement from last year which was a 7.5% improvement from the 2010.
If the Reds continue this trend, they'd be averaging almost 36K fans per game within 3 years.

Vottomatic
09-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I know its not fun, but you have to be patient wrt to attendance.

Every fan base needs to build it's base through season tickets and partial season ticket fans. There are just too many other things for an extra 5,000 or 10,000 people to decide to buy a ticket to 40-50 some odd games per year.

First you get a season ticket base. Then you get the marginal fans to show up at the "big games" (The Reds broke a GABP record for number of sell outs this year. Then you grow the season ticket base. And then some of the marginal fans get shutout of a big game they wanted to see and decide they better a) buy season tickets or at least a package or b) go to a less big game.

With all that said, through 71 games, the Reds have averaged 29,363 which would be a 7.5% improvement from last year which was a 7.5% improvement from the 2010.
If the Reds continue this trend, they'd be averaging almost 36K fans per game within 3 years.

Good post.

And remember, this is in a bad economy and they're setting GABP attendance records.

Last year, the rain was a factor as the state of Ohio had it's highest rainfall, by far, ever in a year setting a brand new record.

Locking up Cueto, Votto, BP, Bruce, Chapman, and young guys like Frazier, Cozart, Hamilton (on the way) give the team continuity and players the fans can identify with.

I think you'll see season tickets and attendance continue to increase next season and beyond. Heck, even Martin and Charlie Sheen had to stop by and see what's happening with the Reds. :D

westofyou
09-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Seriously, this is normal for Cincinnati

Don't expect a miracle, especially when it comes to fannies in the seats at a Reds game

westofyou
09-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Cheap entertainment prefaced by a cheap dinner at Skyline or the Mainliner

A tradition in town for sure, hasn't changed in a couple of generations

Vottomatic
09-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Cincinnati is unique because it has so many sporting events - Reds, Bengals, college basketball & football - UC, XU, Miami, close to UK, UL, Ohio U, OSU, and alot of former ND alums, minor league hockey, big time high school football. Alot of things to spend your money on and not enough money to pay for it all. Kings Island, a great zoo, Aranoff Center and improving downtown, streetcars (just kidding), great schools..........Cincinnati seems to be smack dab right in the middle of alot of action in cities around it too.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Cheap entertainment prefaced by a cheap dinner at Skyline or the Mainliner

A tradition in town for sure, hasn't changed in a couple of generations

The what? I've lived all over Cincinnati for years and never heard of this.

westofyou
09-09-2012, 12:53 PM
The what? I've lived all over Cincinnati for years and never heard of this.

Frisches (The original one is in Fairfax and that's what they call it there... my bad)

Chip R
09-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Cincinnati is unique because it has so many sporting events - Reds, Bengals, college basketball & football - UC, XU, Miami, close to UK, UL, Ohio U, OSU, and alot of former ND alums, minor league hockey, big time high school football. Alot of things to spend your money on and not enough money to pay for it all. Kings Island, a great zoo, Aranoff Center and improving downtown, streetcars (just kidding), great schools..........Cincinnati seems to be smack dab right in the middle of alot of action in cities around it too.

I'm not sure that is unique to Cincinnati.

Vottomatic
09-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Frisches (The original one is in Fairfax and that's what they call it there... my bad)

I built my first house on Watterson Rd. which runs through Fairfax. Ate at the Frisch' Mainliner many times. The sign is still up on the west end of the parking lot.

They finally tore down a building on the side street and the hand car wash on Rt. 50 in Fairfax. Between them, they are adding a fire department building and bigger parking lot for the Skyline Chili, which has been needed for years.

I cruise through Fairfax still occasionally.

westofyou
09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I built my first house on Watterson Rd. which runs through Fairfax. Ate at the Frisch' Mainliner many times. The sign is still up on the west end of the parking lot.

They finally tore down a building on the side street and the hand car wash on Rt. 50 in Fairfax. Between them, they are adding a fire department building and bigger parking lot for the Skyline Chili, which has been needed for years.

I cruise through Fairfax still occasionally.

My oldest friend in the world grew up on Watterson, right across from the Nazarene church

Vottomatic
09-09-2012, 08:27 PM
My oldest friend in the world grew up on Watterson, right across from the Nazarene church

Then you'll recognize my first house I built and lived in. It's on the same block. Heading away from Wooster, on the left side is a brown brick ranch that sticks out like a sore thumb because it doesn't look like any of the other older houses. When I lived in it, it looked good. Now it looks like white trash is living in it. A total mess. I built it back in 1988. Lived there 'til '97.

mdccclxix
09-09-2012, 10:58 PM
35k and 33k the last two games of the Astros series. Pretty strong.

OesterPoster
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I have a feeling tonight's attendance is going to be ugly. Just based on Stubhub prices, you can get into the ballpark for less than $1 on a bleacher seat ticket. I've never seen Scout seat or Club seat prices around $40 either. Really great seats in the field seats behind the Reds dugout for $12 or $13.

Really wish I lived closer, but a 2 hour drive on a Monday night is impossible for me.

Sea Ray
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a feeling tonight's attendance is going to be ugly. Just based on Stubhub prices, you can get into the ballpark for less than $1 on a bleacher seat ticket. I've never seen Scout seat or Club seat prices around $40 either. Really great seats in the field seats behind the Reds dugout for $12 or $13.

Really wish I lived closer, but a 2 hour drive on a Monday night is impossible for me.

I agree. The Bengals opening their season on MNF @ 7pm is a factor too

WildcatFan
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM

I just got 4 together in 120 (kind of behind the plate) for $21 each.

oregonred
09-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Who Dey. Bengal MNF appearances are rare events. Loved seeing the Steelers lose last night. Made up some for the Reds crappy week.

Only the Reds can have too big of a divisional lead leading to lackluster late season attendance. Although if the offensive slump continues, that factor may change... However, the much bigger market Nats and Braves have had lower attendance over the past week. And the Orioles were in the low teens until the Yankee weekend series.

Weeknights, April and September = Season ticket base. Reds need to have a floor of ~24-25K for the lowest 15 draws of any given season. Sell out the weekends, drive the locals more and more to easier ticket weekday games. The Marlins always announce 20-23K but you'd be lucky to see about 7-8K actually in the park the rest of the season.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I agree. The Bengals opening their season on MNF @ 7pm is a factor too

^ This.

As excited as I am about the Reds, there's no way I'd miss the Bengals opener tonight. I'll hit up the Reds game on Wednesday to make up for tonight. :thumbup:

redsfan30
09-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I will know the score of the Reds game at all times tonight but the TV will be set to ESPN.

jhc2010
09-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Reds Average Attendance Through 75 Games:

2012 - 29,009
2011 - 27,168
2010 - 25,781
2009 - 22,004
2008 - 25,976
2007 - 25,530
2006 - 26,772
2005 - 24,198
2004 - 27,821
2003 - 28,970 (First Year @ GABP)
2002 - 22,253 (Last Year @ Cinergy)

redsmetz
09-15-2012, 10:04 AM
My Page-A-Day baseball calendar had this tidbit yesterday:

On 9/8/1916, the smallest crowd in AL history watched the Philadelphia A's beat the Yankees 8-2 at Shibe Park. They did witness a first, the switch hitter to hit homers from both side of the plate with Wally Schang do so. Attendance? Twenty-three people. The A's finished the season 36-117, a .235 percentage.

Yachtzee
09-15-2012, 09:18 PM
My Page-A-Day baseball calendar had this tidbit yesterday:

On 9/8/1916, the smallest crowd in AL history watched the Philadelphia A's beat the Yankees 8-2 at Shibe Park. They did witness a first, the switch hitter to hit homers from both side of the plate with Wally Schang do so. Attendance? Twenty-three people. The A's finished the season 36-117, a .235 percentage.

My dad took us to an Indians game at Municipal Stadium in April in the early '80s where the attendance was maybe 150-200 people. It was freezing even though it was a day game. He paid $3.50 a ticket and we sat right by the Tiger's dugout. I could almost reach out and touch Sparky Anderson and spent most of the game staring at him in awe.

Chip R
09-21-2012, 07:53 PM
I wonder if there is going to be a late walkup crowd tonight since the Reds could actually clinch tonight.

jhc2010
09-21-2012, 11:39 PM
There appeared to be a large walk-up late arriving crowd tonight. Tonight's 35,397 is the largest Friday Night September crowd in GABP history.

The last time the Reds had this many people for a Friday game in September, you have to go back to Friday, September 24, 1999 when the Reds beat the Cardinals 5-4 in front of 36,974 at Cinergy Field.

Bob Borkowski
09-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Nice attendance numbers this past weekend at GAB but only 18,155 at tonight's series opener against Milwaukee.

WildcatFan
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Nice attendance numbers this past weekend at GAB but only 18,155 at tonight's series opener against Milwaukee.

This whole last series will probably be bad, with the weather and the clinching. But after that, I predict sellouts. ;)

mdccclxix
09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
52k from the park record

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-26-2012, 12:38 PM
52k from the park record

It's gonna be close. Tonight's game will probably be in the 18-20 range, but tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised to see a large crowd.

Chip R
09-26-2012, 12:42 PM
52k from the park record

I don't think it's gonna happen.

RedLegsToday
09-26-2012, 12:52 PM
the final game usually brings in a lot of people, though, it's on a thursday this year, instead of a sunday.

Chip R
09-26-2012, 03:16 PM
the final game usually brings in a lot of people, though, it's on a thursday this year, instead of a sunday.

They already had Fan Appreciation Day (Night) on Sunday. They are going to have to average 26K for both games to break that record. The Brewers, while a darn good team, aren't a marquee opponent. The division has been clinched and there's rain in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. It's also a school night.

Still, coming within a few thousand of breaking the park record is something to be proud of. :thumbup:

OesterPoster
09-26-2012, 03:33 PM
You can get a ticket off StubHub for as little as $.33 for tonight's game.

Yeah, I don't think they're going to break the stadium record.

KittyDuran
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Taking a half day at work and heading down tomorrow! :)

dougdirt
09-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Final 2012 Attendance: 2,347,251
Final 2011 Attendance: 2,213,588

That is a 6% increase.

Sea Ray
09-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Final 2012 Attendance: 2,347,251
Final 2011 Attendance: 2,213,588

That is a 6% increase.

Looks like that 6% is less than the bump they got in 2011, 2010. Kinda disappointing although I'd expect the biggest dividend from this year to be in next year's numbers. They seem to draw quite well on the weekends. It's during the week that they struggle and I don't know that winning will solve the problem of bedtimes for students and workers. The main thing that'll drive up mid week attendance figures are season tickets

RedsManRick
09-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Looks like that 6% is less than the bump they got in 2011, 2010. Kinda disappointing although I'd expect the biggest dividend from this year to be in next year's numbers. They seem to draw quite well on the weekends. It's during the week that they struggle and I don't know that winning will solve the problem of bedtimes for students and workers. The main thing that'll drive up mid week attendance figures are season tickets

I couldn't find the study, but I'm pretty sure it's been shown that attendance is more strongly affected in the year after a team wins the division than during the year they do it.

Tony Cloninger
09-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Other cities can have the same issues......how is it that only Cincy can have this issue? I mean it seems to me that they have looked great since June/July and fans still need convincing out there?

top6
09-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Other cities can have the same issues......how is it that only Cincy can have this issue? I mean it seems to me that they have looked great since June/July and fans still need convincing out there?

And many of those cities don't draw as well as Cincinnati. They are pretty much middle of the pack attendance-wise, despite being one of the smallest markets. And many of the teams below them are contenders in larger markets (Tampa Bay, Oakland, Chicago WS, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, for example.)

It's just really rare that a team in a small market can consistently draw huge crowds in an 81-game season, St. Louis being the exception that proves the rule. Unless they start giving away tickets, or are really consistently good for a decade or so (i.e., 1970s Reds or to a lesser degree the 1990s Indians), I don't think there's all that much room for improvement.

Also, I don't think the correlation between attendance and profitability is as strong as we might think, although that's really uninformed speculation.

Hoosier Red
09-30-2012, 06:31 PM

A higher season ticket base does two things; 1) Obviously it increases the number of tickets sold to the games that have smaller crowds, but perhaps more importantly 2) It lowers the supply of tickets to the "big" games. Suddenly, if someone wants to go see the Reds/Cards on July 4, they know they have to buy a season ticket or a larger package of some sort. And the fans who just want to go to 5 or 6 games per year and don't care about the opponent necessarily, will choose a mid week game.

Brutus
09-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Cincinnati is the second-smallest metro area in the country out of all MLB markets and the support covers a wider area than most clubs. That's the reason Cincinnati has this issue worse than other teams.

It's drawing from a smaller base to begin with, and the base it is drawing from is spread out and you're not going to see a lot of people make a long drive on a week night.

BCubb2003
09-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Cincinnati is the second-smallest metro area in the country out of all MLB markets and the support covers a wider area than most clubs. That's the reason Cincinnati has this issue worse than other teams.

It's drawing from a smaller base to begin with, and the base it is drawing from is spread out and you're not going to see a lot of people make a long drive on a week night.

Exactly. Weekday games can't get the fans from southeastern Ohio or West Virginia. Now, some cities have a big lake full of fish instead of fans in their area, but they're more densely populated otherwise. And some cities have more of a downtown let's-walk-to-the-game-after-work-before-we-head-home-to-our-condos crowd.