PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Attendance

Pages : [1] 2 3

redsfaninbsg
04-08-2012, 05:48 PM
A year ago, the Reds had 2,213,588 show up at the old ball yard to finish 10th in the NL in attendance. After one series, the Reds are off to a pretty good start; the first series saw the Redlegs draw 108,517. The big question will come this week, can the Reds draw north of 85K against the defending World Series Champions in a mid-week series? Time will tell, I'm making the 4.5 hr trip to attend game one tomorrow so, I'm doing my part.

The Voice of IH
04-08-2012, 05:52 PM
I hope so, I too am making my way back home to attend a game.

Tommyjohn25
04-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I just got home from the weekend series. Went Saturday and Sunday with 7 of my buddies and had a great time. Especially today.

Redsfan320
04-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I went with family today, will probably be back Wed.

OnBaseMachine
04-08-2012, 06:10 PM
I went to Opening Day and Opening Night. I'm hoping to get back out there for another game soon. I live 3 1/2 to 4 hours away but usually attend around 10 games a year. Hopefully I can catch more than that this year.

Hoosier Red
04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
It definitely was a good start but it was just that, a start.

Before the season, the Reds needed to average 30,864 to get to $2.5 Million. With the big start, they need to average 30,660 to reach that mark.

brad1176
04-08-2012, 08:39 PM
We got home today, we went to the Saturday night game. It was great to see the park full and the fans having a great time even though the Reds were losing. I hope people keep coming out and supporting them. BTW, Votto's homer Saturday went just over our heads, landed a few rows behind us, my little girls were freaking out! :laugh:

We have a 3 1/2 hour drive to get there, and we get to about 10 games a year. I'm thinking hard about taking off Wednesday and going to the game!

reds1869
04-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I went to Opening Night and am buying a 20 game season ticket plan tomorrow. I previously had season tickets but was unable to renew due to uncertainty surrounding my wife's health. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to buy a plan again for many reasons. I usually attend 30-40 games a year so a season ticket plan is a must for my wallet.

kaldaniels
04-08-2012, 09:03 PM
This is certainly a small sample size, but I have never seen the board in such a ticket-buying "frenzy". Thats a great thing!

buckeyenut
04-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I went to Opening Day and Opening Night. I'm hoping to get back out there for another game soon. I live 3 1/2 to 4 hours away but usually attend around 10 games a year. Hopefully I can catch more than that this year.

I went to both as well. They need to build on the banks atmosphere and do the block party before every weekend game.

Great time and going to be a great reds season.

Chip R
04-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I know it didn't count but the exhibition game against the prospects was a game where they charged for tickets and people bought concessions. It's a nice bonus. It isn't going to make a huge difference but it helps.

The Operator
04-08-2012, 10:56 PM
I was at Opening Night and it was exciting to see the park sold out for the second game of the season, in seasons past the second game would see a huge drop-off.

Last year I went to around 6 or 7 games, I think. I started off on pace to go to around 20, but my summer job working swing shift nixed that. I'm hoping to get to no less than 10 games this year, hopefully 15 or more.

The funds weren't there this year due to me being a broke grad student, but I'm entering the workforce here in about a month - so I'm planning to buy a Power Pack next season. You just can't beat the deal you get with those.

jhc2010
04-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Today's large crowd of 23,539 shocked me since Easter Sunday is typically the lowest-attended Sunday game (if it falls during the season) at all MLB parks.

Historical Reds Attendance on Easter Sunday at Great American Ball Park:
Sunday, April 11, 2004 - Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati - 16,925
Sunday, April 8, 2007 - Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati - 14,001
Sunday, April 12, 2009 - Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati - 12,876
Sunday, April 8, 2012 - Miami @ Cincinnati - 23,539

The Reds had considerably more fans than a number of teams today.

Attendance at select parks on Easter 2012:
Cleveland - 10,518
Houston - 14,195
Baltimore - 14,738
San Diego - 19,021
Pittsburgh - 19,856
Cincinnati - 23,539

This is added to the fact that the Reds opened the season with back-to-back sell-outs for the first time in club history.
Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 42,956 (largest regular season crowd in GABP history)
Saturday, April 7, 2012 - 41,662

I would guess that this upcoming weekday series with the Cardinals should draw an average of about 18,000 per game since the first weekday series of the year is typically not attended very well.

The Operator
04-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Very encouraging numbers. Thanks for posting, jhc.

jhc2010
04-08-2012, 11:08 PM
In seasons past the second game would see a huge drop-off.It does help that the second game of the season is on a Saturday instead of a Wednesday as it was for many years.

A bunch of teams experienced very low attendance numbers on Saturday while the Reds enjoyed a sell-out crowd! Cleveland has had a terrible attendance start to the season.

Attendance at select parks on Saturday, April 7, 2012:
Oakland - 16,612
Cleveland - 18,842
Houston - 23,962
Baltimore - 31,532
San Diego - 31,909
Tampa Bay - 34,078
Arizona - 34,789
Pittsburgh - 38,885
New York Mets - 39,526
Los Angeles Angels - 40,022
Chicago Cubs - 40,102
Cincinnati 41,662

jhc2010
04-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Cleveland has had a terrible attendance start to the season.I am predicting that there will be more fans at the Indians AAA affiliate Columbus Clippers game tomorrow than the MLB Cleveland Indians vs. Chicago White Sox game.

Tom Servo
04-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Extremely jealous of all of you who live close enough to go to any games, let alone multiple ones.

The Operator
04-08-2012, 11:17 PM
My how the mighty have fallen in Cleveland. They had sellout after sellout for years and now they can't draw anyone to the ballpark.

Just goes to show that these things can indeed be cyclical. I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly fall on some hard times once this current team starts aging and under-performing a bit. They are in a large market but they never historically drew well until recently, and if they start to lose again for any stretch at all it will be very interesting to see how their "fans" react.

thatcoolguy_22
04-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Extremely jealous of all of you who live close enough to go to any games, let alone multiple ones.

Same here. 1 weekend series a year is a big deal for me. Living in middle GA makes attending games in Cinci a wee bit pricy. I'm looking to go in June before I leave to go back to Korea though. Hopefully the Reds are already starting to pull away with the central.

Nathan
04-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Tuesday night bobbleheads? Nothing brings fans to the stadium more than those hideous creatures. Tuesday nights are probably amongst the smallest crowds during the week.

I'm sure the Banks project is helping bring people in some. (Arrive early, drink a few beers, go to the game, drink some beer, leave game, drink some more beers, drive home drunk, get pulled over, pay Cincinnati some fine $. Everyone wins, right? Except for the wallet, of course).

Roy Tucker
04-09-2012, 08:19 AM
I used to belong to a season ticket group (there were 20 of us that shared 4 full season tickets).

We'd pick games by lottery. The very first game picked was almost always Opening Day. The last game picked was almost always the 2nd game. An April night game is usually fairly lousy in the Cinci area weather-wise. In general, April games went pretty low.

I am seriously thinking about a game this week though.

klw
04-09-2012, 08:44 AM
I plan on boycotting this team over their refusal to carry organic guacamole at the park and will not see any games this year.

(That and I live 895 miles away)

Encouraging attendance this weekend, I had no idea that Easter Sunday was such a traditionally poorly attended game. You think they would do a promotion with an Easter egg hunt on the field, reduced price for kids, etc to boost gate.

elfmanvt07
04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm talking to my pops about meeting in Cincinnati for one of the weekday afternoon games. Flights from NYC aren't too awful.

wolfboy
04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I plan on boycotting this team over their refusal to carry organic guacamole at the park and will not see any games this year.

(That and I live 895 miles away)

Encouraging attendance this weekend, I had no idea that Easter Sunday was such a traditionally poorly attended game. You think they would do a promotion with an Easter egg hunt on the field, reduced price for kids, etc to boost gate.

They handed out easter tins to the first few thousand kids through the gate. I like the easter egg hunt idea though. There was also this promotion:

• Meijer Family Days: Sundays are family days at the ballpark! One member of the family pays full price and may purchase up to three non-premium tickets at half-price in advance of game day only. Excludes Outer View Level and Kroger Bleachers.

I took advantage of the promotion and got some very nice tickets in Section 131.

redsfan30
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm really hoping for big numbers the next three days against St. Louis. If they could draw 80-85,000 for the three games I would be thrilled!

WildcatFan
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm really hoping for big numbers the next three days against St. Louis. If they could draw 80-85,000 for the three games I would be thrilled!

There'll be a lot of Cards fans in attendance. As often as possible, tell them thank you for helping us extend Brandon Phillips.

westofyou
04-09-2012, 10:31 AM

I predict 59k

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Boycott the fact that the majority of beer available at GABP is St. Louis' own Anheuser-Busch products. You can't walk 10 steps without seeing taps for Bud Light, Budweiser and Michelob Light. I mean, come on! Michelob freaking Light? There must be 50 taps of that at the park and I can't think of a single other place in Cincinnati or Dayton that has that lame beer on draft.

I absolutely refuse to drink any AB products, but especially at a Reds game. I'll drink the Cincinnati beers there - Moerlein, Hudy, Mt. Carmel, etc. - they're much MUCH better anyway. And when I just want a good ol' regular light beer, I'll walk until I find one of the few Miller Lite or Coors Light taps.

No money for St. Louis from me for their lousy beers. :thumbdown:

MikeThierry
04-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Boycott the fact that the majority of beer available at GABP is St. Louis' own Anheuser-Busch products. You can't walk 10 steps without seeing taps for Bud Light, Budweiser and Michelob Light. I mean, come on! Michelob freaking Light? There must be 50 taps of that at the park and I can't think of a single other place in Cincinnati or Dayton that has that lame beer on draft.

I absolutely refuse to drink any AB products, but especially at a Reds game. I'll drink the Cincinnati beers there - Moerlein, Hudy, Mt. Carmel, etc. - they're much MUCH better anyway. And when I just want a good ol' regular light beer, I'll walk until I find one of the few Miller Lite or Coors Light taps.

No money for St. Louis from me for their lousy beers. :thumbdown:

That company is now owned by a foriegn entity. I think you might be helping out Belgium and Brazil more than you would St. Louis.

wolfboy
04-09-2012, 11:24 AM
That company is now owned by a foriegn entity. I think you might be helping out Belgium and Brazil more than you would St. Louis.

Not to mention that the vast majority of the Moerlein family of products (CM, Hudy, Burger, etc...) are brewed in PA.

Still, I agree that I'd much rather have a Moerlein beer than a Budweiser beer.

RBA
04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I guess they need to get rid of Busch beers and put Jim Beam on tap instead.

MikeThierry
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
I'll drink Busch on occassion but there are much better St. Louis beers like Kraftig, Shocktop, Schafly, etc. However, if I'm playing drinking games, Busch works fine, lol

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Not to mention that the vast majority of the Moerlein family of products (CM, Hudy, Burger, etc...) are brewed in PA.

Still, I agree that I'd much rather have a Moerlein beer than a Budweiser beer.

Only until their brewery is ready in OTR, plus they're brewing some on site at the Lager House.

And Pennsylvania is home to Yuengling, so that's fine with me.

And I did notice quite a few GABP Yuengling taps at the game this weekend, which is a good thing.

_Sir_Charles_
04-09-2012, 05:30 PM
And the attendance conversation is hijacked by Beerfest 2012!!! :O)

camisadelgolf
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Maybe a cast member of Hunger Games should throw the first pitch to every home game.

*BaseClogger*
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe a cast member of Hunger Games should throw the first pitch to every home game.

As long as its drunk Woody Harrelson I'm game haha...

wheels
04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I've never seen more teenage girls at a ballgame in my life. It was truly annoying. All of that for some little guy that made a thirty second appearance on the field, plus a little interview during the game.

I have a new found respect for teachers after Saturday night.

wheels
04-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Park looks empty tonight, by the way.

KittyDuran
04-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Well there's at least 7K because they gave away all the magnets allotted for the night.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-09-2012, 07:36 PM

And if there was anyone in the downtown area thinking about still coming out to the game, if they have the radio on the probably have changed their mind.

Captain Hook
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Well there's at least 7K because they gave away all the magnets allotted for the night.

16,909 is the official number for tonights game.

alloverjr
04-09-2012, 10:03 PM

There goes Brandon's contract :)

wheels
04-09-2012, 10:17 PM

I think the magnets are for tomorrow night's game, aren't they?

04-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Last few years, first Monday night game of the season was around 10K, so tonight was more than a fifty percent increase from the norm. Cards probably has a lot to do with it.

KittyDuran
04-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I think the magnets are for tomorrow night's game, aren't they?

They are given out three games in a row @ 7K a game.

alexad
04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Why would MLB bring the Cards in so early and a Monday-Wednesday. Not to mention Wed is a 12:35 start.

The Indians are also during the week. Hard to sell out when we don't play them on the weekend. Tigers and Twins are on weekends and so are the Rockies.

Sounds like the MLB does not want to see our attendance to increase. I just moved into the Cincinnati area in Cleves. I am happy to say I have been to 2 out of the first 4 home games this year. 16,000 is not cutting it though.

alexad
04-09-2012, 11:36 PM
By the way. The magnet calendar is huge. First one I have ever seen or received at a game. They look really nice.

KittyDuran
04-10-2012, 05:43 AM
A lot of the Reds fan base lives 1+ hours away... I left in the 6th inning, not that I wanted to but because it takes me more than an hour to get home (not all driving time but getting to my parked car as well). I try to get to bed by 10:30 as I set my alarm for 5am. I also work about an hours drive away. Lots of excuses I know...

Now, for the Wed day game I'll be there for the whole game, but it cost me more than a half days vacation since I have to leave work at 11am, and then find a cheap parking space... (wish me luck...)

Finally, IMHO a lot of Reds fans were like me last night only going for the free magnet. ;)

KittyDuran
04-10-2012, 06:58 AM
By the way. The magnet calendar is huge. First one I have ever seen or received at a game. They look really nice.

It was certainly the longest. The car magnet look like the largest ever and it was only one piece.

edabbs44
04-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Why would MLB bring the Cards in so early and a Monday-Wednesday. Not to mention Wed is a 12:35 start.

The Indians are also during the week. Hard to sell out when we don't play them on the weekend. Tigers and Twins are on weekends and so are the Rockies.

Sounds like the MLB does not want to see our attendance to increase. I just moved into the Cincinnati area in Cleves. I am happy to say I have been to 2 out of the first 4 home games this year. 16,000 is not cutting it though.

Actually it helps when the bigger names come in during the week. I can't see there being any semblance of a conspiracy happening.

MikeThierry
04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Actually it helps when the bigger names come in during the week. I can't see there being any semblance of a conspiracy happening.

I don't think there is a conspiracy but MLB is just as bad as the NHL when it comes to scheduling. I really thing they just throw a darts to determine what teams face each other. Take this weekend for the Cards for example. It's opening day yet they bring in the Cubs. The Cubs will always be sell out games in St. Louis regardless time of the year yet they schedule it on a weekend that will automatically be sold out for the Cards. It makes no financial sense to schedule the Cubs for this weekend. I get angry as the next guy about scheduling and the inept ability for MLB to put out a logical schedule.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I predict 59k

Yep.

If that even.

Hoosier Red
04-10-2012, 09:31 AM

Believe it or not the 12:35 games usually have a better paid attendence than the preceding weeknight games. Last year the 11 Non Opening Day weekday day games averaged 22,744 while the 31 Monday through Thursday night games averaged 20,995 per game.

I remember seeing a story on the two people who put together the Major League schedule, apparently it's a couple who still do it the old fashioned way with a giant wall sized composite schedule. With the number of factors involved, it's almost impossible to see how one could specifically try to screw over a particular team even if it was desired.

jhc2010
04-10-2012, 10:41 AM
16,000 is not cutting it though.I'll take 16,909.

The equivalent game last season on the first Tuesday of the season (the Reds had an off day on the first Monday) drew just 11,821 and was the lowest attended home game of the season. If 16,909 is the lowest attended game this season, there is no way the average yearly attendance will drop.

Compared to Cleveland and Oakland's numbers from yesterday, the Reds are fine.
Cleveland 9,473
Oakland 10,054
Cincinnati 16,909

jhc2010
04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
I am predicting that there will be more fans at the Indians AAA affiliate Columbus Clippers game tomorrow than the MLB Cleveland Indians vs. Chicago White Sox game.It was close. Cleveland drew 9,473 and Columbus drew 7,507.

Hoosier Red
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I'll take 16,909.

The equivalent game last season on the first Tuesday of the season (the Reds had an off day on the first Monday) drew just 11,821 and was the lowest attended home game of the season. If 16,909 is the lowest attended game this season, there is no way the average yearly attendance will drop.

Compared to Cleveland and Oakland's numbers from yesterday, the Reds are fine.
Cleveland 9,473
Oakland 10,054
Cincinnati 16,909

That's a good point. I think MLB moving opening day to the weekend has had a positive impact on the whole, but there's no doubt that the numbers don't work completely in a vacuum. There are a number of people who may have now decided to go to game 2 which removes them from consideration for going to game 4.

Obviously not everyone fits into that category, but it's sort of like asking people to donate blood. If you have a big drive on Monday, the numbers for your normal operation on Tuesday will likely be less than they otherwise would.

OldRightHander
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Speaking for myself, I have a hard time with weekday games. Even though I'm off the road and home now, and I only live 15 miles from the ballpark, business is picking up so much that I'm often still at my desk at 7:00 pm on the weekdays. Weekends are better, but even then I have a wife who tends to make plans weeks in advance while I like to wait until the weekend rolls around and then decide what I want to do depending on the weather. I was wanting to go Sunday after church but got the "so and so is coming for dinner" line and I figured that the bed is more comfortable than the couch.

hebroncougar
04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
You know, with the way TV deals are going, I don't think the difference between drawing 1.8 million and 2.2 million is much anymore. Heck, I've started to almost look at it like, I'm paying for Directv, and MLB TV, and I know that revenue is going into the club's pocket. I think TV Ratings and advertising dollars are much more important that club attendance.

Hollcat
04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Speaking for myself, I have a hard time with weekday games. Even though I'm off the road and home now, and I only live 15 miles from the ballpark, business is picking up so much that I'm often still at my desk at 7:00 pm on the weekdays. Weekends are better, but even then I have a wife who tends to make plans weeks in advance while I like to wait until the weekend rolls around and then decide what I want to do depending on the weather. I was wanting to go Sunday after church but got the "so and so is coming for dinner" line and I figured that the bed is more comfortable than the couch.

You might just need to get a better couch;)

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Welcome to Cincinnati! Where did you move from?

And I think that weekend Tigers series will be three easy sellouts. It's an attractive team that's not often here and whose fans will certainly come down in droves.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Not to make excuses, but it was cold and windy last night. That wouldn't keep me away, but I'm sure it kept some away. I'm sure the FSO ratings were quite high - at least initially before Bailey chased everyone away.

OldRightHander
04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
You might just need to get a better couch;)

Maybe, but I went to way more games when I was single.

It's a pretty big cultural gap with me and my wife. She's from Kenya and not a sports fan. She absolutely loves entertaining and it's pretty common for people to be over for dinner, and with her friends, dinner means everyone sitting at the table socializing and me looking at my watch and trying to slip away to the tv if there's a game on. I lucked out with the couple that came over the other day though. The man is a big EPL fan so the women stayed in the kitchen while we took our plates and slipped away to turn on FSC.

Note to the single guys. Go as often as you can now while your own schedule is the only one you need to consult.

KittyDuran
04-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Welcome to Cincinnati! Where did you move from?

And I think that weekend Tigers series will be three easy sellouts. It's an attractive team that's not often here and whose fans will certainly come down in droves.

Actually, when I went down to buy a few extra tickets last month the Detroit series was selling well... A lot of ex-Motowners live here it seems.

jhc2010
04-11-2012, 12:24 AM
17,110 at tonight's game. That's about what I would have guessed.

Hoosier Red
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Actually, when I went down to buy a few extra tickets last month the Detroit series was selling well... A lot of ex-Motowners live here it seems.

A lot of 80's children who miss the exhibition game with Detroit on the old fashioned kid glove game nights.

WildcatFan
04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Today's attendance brought the series to 55,000. Not too bad for a cold weekday series.

jhc2010
04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
20,672 at GABP for today's Business Man's special for a total of 54,691 for the Cardinals series.

westofyou
04-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I predict 59k

Couldn't even get my low ball number

jhc2010
04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
It could be worse. Cleveland had 9,072 on hand for this afternoon's game against the White Sox.

Cleveland's total attendance for their rain-shortened two game series against Chicago was just 18,545.

OesterPoster
04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
It could be worse. Cleveland had 9,072 on hand for this afternoon's game against the White Sox.

Cleveland's total attendance for their rain-shortened two game series against Chicago was just 18,545.

It looked way worse than that though. I'm guessing they have 9,071 full season ticket holders, and one dude took the day off and actually bought a ticket at the box office instead of buying a ticket for $2 off a scalper.

westofyou
04-11-2012, 05:51 PM

Here in Portland we've had ONE day in last six months over sixty five degrees

Needless to say the weather complaint is falling on deaf ears

Hollcat
04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I noticed Sunday's attendance at Bakersfield was in the neighborhood of 260.

RedLegsToday
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Couldn't even get my low ball number

Through 6 games, Reds attendance is up by 1339/game. Seems like they are doing ok to me.

westofyou
04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Through 6 games, Reds attendance is up by 1339/game. Seems like they are doing ok to me.

For the year that would be a net gain of 108,000

Nothing to crow about

FlightRick
04-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Here's an idea that's been percolating in my skull since late last season... feel free to tell me why it'd never work:

In a nutshell, I think the best way for the Reds to become a Regional Sensation is to offer fans in neighboring cities (Dayton, Indy, Columbus to start) a deal where they pay for tickets, and the Reds pay for the gas for these out of towners to make the drive.

People are obsessed with the price of gas to the point of hyper-attenuation, and I think the Reds could use that. They'd have to do a lot of legwork to set up the local partnership(s), but once you do, you set the bar at 4 tickets minimum (tie it into a carpooling campaign, even), bought from an authorized outlet in whichever city (get ticketbastard to donate 10% of their "service charge" to the promotion), and you receive a gas card for $xxx (only redeemable within same city, to limit fraud), depending on how far away from Cinci you are. Dayton fans get a $10 card anytime they decide to drive down. Columbus, $15. Indy, $20. Expand south if it works. You get the idea.

You can exclude weekend games, if necessary. Or better yet: give the gas cards for single games on weeknights, but only offer them on weekends to fans who buy tickets to all three games of a series and who'll be making a weekend of it. In exchange, maybe make weekend Full Series Buyers eligible for a $100 gas card, just to entice fans from further away on weekends. Maybe even offer those fans deeper ticket discounts (or work something out with cincinnatiusa.com to get a cut of their weekend package).

But during the week, focus on the fans who can make the drive in less than 3 hours (round trip), and basically take gas out of the equation as a cost, and I think the Reds could garner a ton of night-trippers over the course of a summer... it'd just be a matter of building the infrastructure and making sure to set up a few rules to close any loopholes, but after that, I think you'd be appealing to a public that's been whipped into a frenzy over gas prices in an election year. I mean, I'm not saying the public is well-informed on what goes into gas prices, but I'm pretty frickin' sure that if you offered 'em a $10 gas card to drive down to a game, they'd get more excited than if you're offering them a voucher for a free LaRosa's pizza.

If that's what the market wants, then you give it to them. "If you come, we'll pay for gas."

Rick

Nathan
04-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Here's an idea that's been percolating in my skull since late last season... feel free to tell me why it'd never work:

In a nutshell, I think the best way for the Reds to become a Regional Sensation is to offer fans in neighboring cities (Dayton, Indy, Columbus to start) a deal where they pay for tickets, and the Reds pay for the gas for these out of towners to make the drive.

People are obsessed with the price of gas to the point of hyper-attenuation, and I think the Reds could use that. They'd have to do a lot of legwork to set up the local partnership(s), but once you do, you set the bar at 4 tickets minimum (tie it into a carpooling campaign, even), bought from an authorized outlet in whichever city (get ticketbastard to donate 10% of their "service charge" to the promotion), and you receive a gas card for $xxx (only redeemable within same city, to limit fraud), depending on how far away from Cinci you are. Dayton fans get a $10 card anytime they decide to drive down. Columbus, $15. Indy, $20. Expand south if it works. You get the idea.

You can exclude weekend games, if necessary. Or better yet: give the gas cards for single games on weeknights, but only offer them on weekends to fans who buy tickets to all three games of a series and who'll be making a weekend of it. In exchange, maybe make weekend Full Series Buyers eligible for a $100 gas card, just to entice fans from further away on weekends. Maybe even offer those fans deeper ticket discounts (or work something out with cincinnatiusa.com to get a cut of their weekend package).

But during the week, focus on the fans who can make the drive in less than 3 hours (round trip), and basically take gas out of the equation as a cost, and I think the Reds could garner a ton of night-trippers over the course of a summer... it'd just be a matter of building the infrastructure and making sure to set up a few rules to close any loopholes, but after that, I think you'd be appealing to a public that's been whipped into a frenzy over gas prices in an election year. I mean, I'm not saying the public is well-informed on what goes into gas prices, but I'm pretty frickin' sure that if you offered 'em a $10 gas card to drive down to a game, they'd get more excited than if you're offering them a voucher for a free LaRosa's pizza.

If that's what the market wants, then you give it to them. "If you come, we'll pay for gas."

Rick

The two main problems with this:

1.) Logistics. How are you going to pass the gas savings off to the ticket purchaser? You would also have to find filling stations willing to accept the voucher/coupon or whatever.

2.) The idea to do this would be to make money. If they were to do something like this, a lot of people would probably buy tickets worth less than the value of the reward. (I'd assume that would be one of the first aforementioned loopholes to go, right? Make them purchase tickets at least 2x the value of the voucher?)

Novel and original idea, though. Would need kinks sorted out.

camisadelgolf
04-13-2012, 05:33 AM
It's a great thought, but I think Nathan's points are valid. However, you bring up something very important, which is expanding the Reds' market. Now that Bruce, Votto, and Phillips are locked up, they have some stars that are easily marketable. Who knows? Maybe having one of those guys go out to a place like Marion, OH every once in a while could convince a few people to switch their allegiance from the Indians to the Reds. Throw in some vouchers at a local raffle, and you could be slowly-but-steadily building your fan base.

Hoosier Red
04-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Lance was talking about dynamic pricing for games, and It led me to an idea that I think could really work even better. What about Dynamic seating for each individual game.

Here's how it would work. A lower level box seat is $22, a view level seat is $6. But the Reds know roughly an hour or two before each game how many tickets they've sold for each.

What if when you purchase tickets in advance(and only when you purchase tickets in advance) but come to print out the tickets at the machine, the machine offers you a chance at an upgrade.

For instance, you bought two view level seats, the machine offers you to upgrade to the box seats for an additional $5 per ticket. That way they are getting $11/ticket out of everyone who takes advantage.

But you say won't that discourage people from buying the lower level tickets in advance? Perhaps for the sparsely attended games, but for the big games anyone who wants to sit in the lower bowl better buy their tickets in advance because they aren't likely to get the upgrade offer.

Hoosier Red
04-13-2012, 09:36 AM
The two main problems with this:

1.) Logistics. How are you going to pass the gas savings off to the ticket purchaser? You would also have to find filling stations willing to accept the voucher/coupon or whatever.

2.) The idea to do this would be to make money. If they were to do something like this, a lot of people would probably buy tickets worth less than the value of the reward. (I'd assume that would be one of the first aforementioned loopholes to go, right? Make them purchase tickets at least 2x the value of the voucher?)

Novel and original idea, though. Would need kinks sorted out.

I'd think you could get some marketing value out of it in any event. They've done marketing deals with Indiana residents where you have to put in a valid Indiana address for the coupon to be activated. I'd bet you could get one of the gas stations to join on the deal and offer a gas coupon to be printed up with each ticket.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-14-2012, 12:31 AM
If the Reds played the Nats at home tomorrow ... I would pass.

oregonred
04-20-2012, 12:14 AM
WOY and VR - What's going on in Seattle and the NW these days? Talk about a dead baseball region. They drew 12K on Tuesday and a new Safeco low of 11,343 last night. Baltimore, Seattle, Cleveland and Toronto - all gone from nightly sellouts to stadium ghost towns.

"Just 11,343 watched the game, setting a new record-low at Safeco Field, which was built in 1999. The previous low was 11,701 against Baltimore on May 31, 2011."

Also the White Sox barely drew 50K total for a four game series with Baltimore. The Braves were about 50K total for a 3 game series with the Mets. And the smokin' hot Nats barely hit 60K in a four game series. DBacks aren't drawing either. Blue Jays can't draw. All top 10 population markets.

Milwaukee was able to draw ~29K average for the Dodgers series and the Cards 110K for the Reds series. Remarkable.

jhc2010
04-25-2012, 01:17 PM
The Reds drew 19,051 for game one against San Francisco. They did much better than a number of clubs last night.

Attendance of Select Teams on Tuesday, April 24:
Cleveland 9,137
Pittsburgh 10,484
Baltimore 11,058
Oakland 11,184
Tampa Bay 14,933
San Diego 16,599
Cincinnati 19,051

The comparable Tuesday with last year is Tuesday, April 19, 2011 vs. Arizona that drew just 12,994. They improved considerably from last year's numbers.

top6
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
The Reds drew 19,051 for game one against San Francisco. They did much better than a number of clubs last night.

Attendance of Select Teams on Tuesday, April 24:
Cleveland 9,137
Pittsburgh 10,484
Baltimore 11,058
Oakland 11,184
Tampa Bay 14,933
San Diego 16,599
Cincinnati 19,051

The comparable Tuesday with last year is Tuesday, April 19, 2011 vs. Arizona that drew just 12,994. They improved considerably from last year's numbers.

But what % of the 19,051 were dogs?

jhc2010
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
The Reds are up vs. last year's numbers. Through 7 games in 2011 the average was 25,161. So far this season they are averaging 25,985 (+825).

Reds attendance through 7 games:
2012 - 25985
2011 - 25161
2010 - 25090
2009 - 24544
2008 - 21526
2007 - 21991
2006 - 22804

jhc2010
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
But what % of the 19,051 were dogs?There were about 600 dogs last night. I don't know if they count in the numbers or not but 600 is not very significant.

medford
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
There were about 600 dogs last night. I don't know if they count in the numbers or not but 600 is not very significant.

Try telling that to the guy in charge of the pooper scooper :)

cumberlandreds
04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
There were about 600 dogs last night. I don't know if they count in the numbers or not but 600 is not very significant.

They were paying customers weren't they? So they should be counted. ;)

oregonred
04-25-2012, 11:27 PM
The Brewers came within 3000 or so of outdrawing the combined crowds of Cleveland + Camden Yards + Oakland + PNC Park on Tuesday night.

The only way to draw on early weeknight games appears to be to have such a demand for weekend tickets that locals are compelled to start buying in advance for weekday games knowing they can't get weekend tickets last minute. Or some crazy promotional offerings.

What is the Brewers magic for 38K on a Tuesday night in April. They must have a solid season ticket base in the 25K+ range. The Twins are starting to slide quickly in year 3 at Target Field, 33K for the big draw Red Sox the last couple of nights. Even the Mets barely topped 20K last night.

jhc2010
04-26-2012, 12:27 PM
The Reds drew 17,115 for game two against San Francisco. Despite the nasty weather conditions in Cincinnati, they did much better than a number of clubs last night.

Attendance of Select Teams on Wednesday, April 25:
Baltimore - 10,415
Cleveland - 10,552
Oakland - 13,032
Tampa Bay - 14,638
San Diego - 15,154
Pittsburgh (doubleheader) - 15,218
Cincinnati - 17,115

The comparable Wednesday last year is Wednesday, April 20, 2011 vs. Arizona that drew just 14,915. They improved considerably from last year's numbers.

westofyou
04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
The Reds drew 17,115 for game two against San Francisco. Despite the nasty weather conditions in Cincinnati, they did much better than a number of clubs last night.

Attendance of Select Teams on Wednesday, April 25:
Baltimore - 10,415
Cleveland - 10,552
Oakland - 13,032
Tampa Bay - 14,638
San Diego - 15,154
Pittsburgh (doubleheader) - 15,218
Cincinnati - 17,115

The comparable Wednesday last year is Wednesday, April 20, 2011 vs. Arizona that drew just 14,915. They improved considerably from last year's numbers.

Comparing the Reds to some of the worst teams atenndance wise ( Tampa, Oakland) and mortabound teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh doesn't make those numbers palatable IMO, in fact it is somewhat skewed from where I sit

The Reds need to be compared to everyone, not just chumps and bobos

redsfan30
04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
I find the comparision of this season against last year's comparable quite interesting.

Benihana
04-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Comparing the Reds to some of the worst teams atenndance wise ( Tampa, Oakland) and mortabound teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh doesn't make those numbers palatable IMO, in fact it is somewhat skewed from where I sit

The Reds need to be compared to everyone, not just chumps and bobos

Agreed. How many of those teams listed have a $250MM man?

jhc2010
04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
The series finale of the Giants series on Thursday afternoon drew 17,317.

Attendance of All Day games on Thursday, April 26:
Cleveland 9,229
Tampa Bay - 15,417
Cincinnati - 17,317
New York Mets - 20,660
Detroit - 31,451

Cleveland is really struggling to get fans to the games. Even the huge city of New York only had 20,660 at today's Mets game.

The comparable Thursday afternoon game last year is Thursday, April 21, 2011 vs. Arizona that drew just 17,319 which is almost identical to today's number.

The total attendance for the Giants series was 53,483.

mdccclxix
04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Looking things over from last year to this year, what stands out is the floor. Last year the floor reached 12k. This year so far it's around 17k. I wonder if those numbers represent the season tickets, roughly? If so, then I'd say the offseason has been a success from that standpoint. If you look at St. Louis, their season ticket base must be around 25-30k. That's what winning and trust will do. Had the Reds finished, say, at 85 wins last year AND done all the same things, I'd bet the numbers would be up significantly this year, although only relative to where they've been, so perhaps something like 27k or 28k per game so far. I don't know.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-26-2012, 06:36 PM
The series finale of the Giants series on Thursday afternoon drew 17,317.

Attendance of All Day games on Thursday, April 26:
Cleveland 9,229
Tampa Bay - 15,417
Cincinnati - 17,317
New York Mets - 20,660
Detroit - 31,451

Cleveland is really struggling to get fans to the games. Even the huge city of New York only had 20,660 at today's Mets game.

The comparable Thursday afternoon game last year is Thursday, April 21, 2011 vs. Arizona that drew just 17,319 which is almost identical to today's number.

The total attendance for the Giants series was 53,483.

Cleveland has some serious issues. It's hard to believe that's the same team in the same park that played to season after season of consecutive sellouts. Now they can't get five-digit attendance figures some nights.

fearofpopvol1
04-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Cleveland has some serious issues. It's hard to believe that's the same team in the same park that played to season after season of consecutive sellouts. Now they can't get five-digit attendance figures some nights.

Columbus baseball fans I feel like are fickle. I feel like the current wave is supporting the Reds more than the Indians and that could be a difference maker for them.

jhc2010
04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Last year the floor reached 12k. This year so far it's around 17k. I'd bet the numbers would be up significantly this year, although only relative to where they've been, so perhaps something like 27k or 28k per game so far. I don't know.The numbers ARE up significantly this year based on your logic. They gained 5,000 season ticket holders! Is that not enough for you?! For a team that had a losing record last season, gaining 5,000 ticket holders per game is HUGE!

For them to go from 12,000 to 28,000 is an impossible feat to do in just one off season for a market that has never had a season ticket holder base anywhere near those numbers.

jhc2010
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Columbus baseball fans I feel like are fickle. I feel like the current wave is supporting the Reds more than the Indians and that could be a difference maker for them.30,000 fans were not driving up from Columbus every game day back in their heyday. I think the problem is rooted in Cleveland itself.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Columbus baseball fans I feel like are fickle. I feel like the current wave is supporting the Reds more than the Indians and that could be a difference maker for them.

I never have really got the impression that Columbus likes or roots for Cincinnati in much of anything. Go into most of the bars up there and you'll see plenty of Browns, Indians and Cavs flags, beer neons, mirrors and other things but rarely see anything Reds or Bengals. Even coverage in the Dispatch leans more toward Cleveland.

Dayton is all for Cincinnati but Columbus seems to side with Cleveland. And I wonder if that is from years of ex-Clevelanders moving to Columbus.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Well, today's weather certainly doesn't help matters at all. Saturday is the Reds biggest attendance day of the week and this rain will limit walk-ups significantly, possibly reducing the crowd by thousands.

Just more bad weather luck for this team - the rule rather than the exception the last two seasons.

KittyDuran
04-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Well, today's weather certainly doesn't help matters at all. Saturday is the Reds biggest attendance day of the week and this rain will limit walk-ups significantly, possibly reducing the crowd by thousands.

Just more bad weather luck for this team - the rule rather than the exception the last two seasons.

Not so fast... it's free fleece blanket day! Got mine, and chillin' in the Club!6086

jhc2010
04-28-2012, 07:11 PM
The opening game of the Astros series on Friday night drew 29,486.

The comparable Friday night game last year is Friday, April 29, 2011 vs. Florida that drew 27,051.

Attendance of All games on Friday, April 27:
Cleveland - 12,597
Baltimore - 18,297
Chicago White Sox - 20,414
Toronto - 24,303
Cincinnati - 29,486
Arizona - 31,949
Minnesota - 33,315
Colorado - 35,103
Atlanta - 36,215
New York Yankees - 41,200
San Francisco - 41,908
St. Louis - 43,063
Los Angeles Dodgers - 44,807
Philadelphia - 45,261
Texas - 47,496

jhc2010
04-28-2012, 07:16 PM
The middle game of the Astros series on Saturday afternoon drew 32,971.

Attendance of all afternoon games on Saturday, April 28:
Cleveland - 11,316
Toronto - 30,765
Cincinnati - 32,971
St. Louis - 42,586
New York Yankees - 44,686

Cleveland has had some really embarrassing attendance numbers so far this season. Their average for the year is by far the worst in the Majors. Click the link below for the yearly average.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Redsfaithful
04-28-2012, 08:56 PM
I never have really got the impression that Columbus likes or roots for Cincinnati in much of anything. Go into most of the bars up there and you'll see plenty of Browns, Indians and Cavs flags, beer neons, mirrors and other things but rarely see anything Reds or Bengals. Even coverage in the Dispatch leans more toward Cleveland.

Dayton is all for Cincinnati but Columbus seems to side with Cleveland. And I wonder if that is from years of ex-Clevelanders moving to Columbus.

It does slant Cleveland, but I'd say 60-40 / 55-45, there's still plenty of Cincinnati love.

gilpdawg
04-28-2012, 10:10 PM

I've always wanted to go to a game there. Now that there's no demand good seats should be cheap. Maybe I'll go when the Reds are there.

jhc2010
04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
The final game of the Astros series on Sunday afternoon drew 31,086.

The Astros series (April 27-29) series drew a total of 93,543.

The comparable Sunday afternoon game last year is Sunday, May 1, 2011 vs. Florida that drew 26,941.

Attendance of all afternoon games on Sunday, April 29:
Cleveland - 15,421
Toronto - 22,320
Chicago White Sox - 22,811
Atlanta - 30,419
Cincinnati - 31,086
Baltimore - 31,793
Minnesota - 34,201
Miami - 34,918
Colorado - 36,690
San Francisco - 42,060
New York Yankees - 43,084
Philadelphia - 45,550
St. Louis - 45,824
Los Angeles Dodgers - 48,753

jhc2010
04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
The Reds are up vs. last year's numbers. Through 12 games in 2011 the average was 22,944. So far this season they are averaging 25,822 (+2,878).

Reds attendance through 12 games:
2012 - 25,822
2011 - 22,944
2010 - 21,164
2009 - 20,586
2008 - 22,153
2007 - 22,395

alexad
04-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Not so fast... it's free fleece blanket day! Got mine, and chillin' in the Club!6086

Kitty. So was I. First in the club. WOW. NEEDED the blanket.

dougdirt
04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
The Reds are up vs. last year's numbers. Through 12 games in 2011 the average was 22,944. So far this season they are averaging 25,822 (+2,878).

Reds attendance through 12 games:
2012 - 25,822
2011 - 22,944
2010 - 21,164
2009 - 20,586
2008 - 22,153
2007 - 22,395

Assuming the average price of a ticket is $20, that is already $690,720 extra dollars made versus last year.

mth123
04-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Assuming the average price of a ticket is $20, that is already $690,720 extra dollars made versus last year.

So, over a full season that would equate to a $5 Million or so increase in revenue. That doesn't really keep up with the increase in cost. These attendance figures really matter less and less as the money gets larger.

Baseball is a TV show. Attendance at the park is a side business with its primary impact being an indicator of popularity that woud call for higher ad fees. Thing is, people at the game aren't home watching the ads on TV. TV Ratings are the main thing that matters IMO.

RANDY IN INDY
04-29-2012, 08:06 PM
My son and I went today. Nice crowd.

westofyou
04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Trying to Draw Fans in a Baseball Town (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/sports/baseball/reds-focus-on-building-their-fan-base.html?_r=1&ref=baseball)

The problem with all this is that the crowds remain small. The franchise attendance record has been frozen since 1976, when 2.6 million came to see the Big Red Machine rumble to a second title. Last year, the Reds drew 2.2 million, ranking 10th among the 16 N.L. teams — and that represented improvement.

For each season from 2004 through 2010, the Reds ranked 12th, 13th or 14th in N.L. attendance. Heading into this weekend’s series with Houston, they were averaging 24,037, ranking 14th in the league, ahead of only San Diego and Pittsburgh.

dougdirt
04-29-2012, 09:52 PM
So, over a full season that would equate to a $5 Million or so increase in revenue. That doesn't really keep up with the increase in cost. These attendance figures really matter less and less as the money gets larger.

Baseball is a TV show. Attendance at the park is a side business with its primary impact being an indicator of popularity that woud call for higher ad fees. Thing is, people at the game aren't home watching the ads on TV. TV Ratings are the main thing that matters IMO.

Well, if you can go from 22,000 to 32,000, it certainly can help. That would be just over $16,000,000. We aren't going to be there yet, but with sustained success, perhaps we can get there.

jhc2010
04-29-2012, 10:22 PM
According to this site, the average Reds ticket is $28.66 - the lowest price in all of MLB!
http://seatgeek.com/baseball-mlb-ticket-prices

oregonred
04-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Interesting article. Of course 6 of 9 games being Mon-Thurs in April greatly skews the attendance comparisons and the first two weekend series being the no draw Marlins and Astros with the club sputtering to get to .500... Adding in this weekend, the club is on pace to hit ~2.5M this year if the 3K a game increase continues. For the first time in 30+ years fans are experiencing an ownership truly committed to winning without the national embarassment of the Schott era. Albeit this is coming off a 78 win season and a 4-8 start, not exactly the formula to send the April turnstiles into a tizzy.

How many small to mid size markets would average 2M per year with three playoff appearances over a 32 year span (and very few additioanl seasons of riveting contention into September), complete neglect of the regional fan base and the dreadful lost decade with KGJ and a new park? Even in the worst of attendance years the floor has been in the 1.8M range. Look how fast many other larger markets tail off after only 2-3 non contending years.

Assuming the club can contend through the duration of 2013, then 2.5M is a realistic goal and I would expect the attendance record to be finally broken in 2013 with a gradually higher season ticket base and local interest adding another 2-3K per game each season.

When the Fri/Sat games become routine sellouts, then more of the local base should gravitate to weekdays. Averaging 30K+ over 40 weeknights is what it will take to start getting near 3 million which will require a large bump in season tickets and several years of true contention. The Brewers and Cardinals seem to be the only mid to small markets making that happen.

WildcatFan
04-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Well, if you can go from 22,000 to 32,000, it certainly can help. That would be just over $16,000,000. We aren't going to be there yet, but with sustained success, perhaps we can get there.

Also, you can figure that the average fan spends $20 at concessions. That may be on the low end considering beer sales, novelty items like helmets and collectible cups, etc.

dougdirt
04-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Also, you can figure that the average fan spends $20 at concessions. That may be on the low end considering beer sales, novelty items like helmets and collectible cups, etc.

Most of that is already accounted for. The Reds contract the concessions out to someone. I don't think they make any more or less money regardless of how much or how little is actually sold.

WildcatFan
04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Most of that is already accounted for. The Reds contract the concessions out to someone. I don't think they make any more or less money regardless of how much or how little is actually sold.

You'd think it would affect the size of the contract the following year, at least. I'm grasping here, Doug.

medford
04-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Some thoughts from the weekend.

My son was born 4 years ago this summer, its been 4 years + (probably 5 seasons) since we've gone to a Reds game. Living in south dayton, working in the cincy subarbs it doesn't work out very well despite free access to tickets thru work. Anyhoo, I was really impressed with many of the improvements they've made since I last went. I've read about most, seen many on TV, but its a different feel taking it in with my own eyes. Despite only hosting 1 playoff game, the place gives off a feel of history more than Cinergy/riverfront ever did; something you couldn't say when the place opened.

When the game had ended, outside the game the Banks appeared to be packed; both the Morelien House and The Holy grail had lines to get in. I heard/read that they had the streets (Nuxhall way and whatever runs b/w the banks) were closed w/ an open atmosphere type setting. I think that is something they should do after and/or before every home game, certainly the weekend games. Make a "family zone" where the kids can run around, or just keep the part of the GABP w/ kids stuff open thru that time window. Allow open container w/n that district, migration b/w bars and restaurants; live music on the weekends, etc.. Its starting to feel more like a desitnation, and not just a ball game, hopefully they keep ramping up the feel and help push attendance to the 30k+ mark most nights

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Interesting article. Of course 6 of 9 games being Mon-Thurs in April greatly skews the attendance comparisons and the first two weekend series being the no draw Marlins and Astros with the club sputtering to get to .500... Adding in this weekend, the club is on pace to hit ~2.5M this year if the 3K a game increase continues. For the first time in 30+ years fans are experiencing an ownership truly committed to winning without the national embarassment of the Schott era. Albeit this is coming off a 78 win season and a 4-8 start, not exactly the formula to send the April turnstiles into a tizzy.

Two of the games vs. the Marlins were completely sold out, including SRO tickets. And Sunday, despite it being Easter Sunday, was a nice crowd too.

traderumor
04-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I've always wanted to go to a game there. Now that there's no demand good seats should be cheap. Maybe I'll go when the Reds are there.I'm going next Sunday. My son is a Rangers fan, so we are taking him to see his heroes. I have been to two games there and have enjoyed myself.

REDREAD
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Not bad at all.. a 10% jump.

REDREAD
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM

It depends.. At one point the Reds had charity groups, band parents, etc running the concessions for fund raisers. Has that changed? I don't know.

Anyhow, the "fund raising" angle is pretty much a racket.. I did some of those for a group at another venue (not the Reds).. Our charity made about $2/hour per person. (Granted this was a long time ago, when min wage was around $4).
Still, it's very profitable for the sports clubs. The volunteers get a percentage of the sales they make.

mdccclxix
04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
The numbers ARE up significantly this year based on your logic. They gained 5,000 season ticket holders! Is that not enough for you?! For a team that had a losing record last season, gaining 5,000 ticket holders per game is HUGE!

For them to go from 12,000 to 28,000 is an impossible feat to do in just one off season for a market that has never had a season ticket holder base anywhere near those numbers.

Sorry, what I wrote was poorly worded. The 5k bump is nice for sure. I was saying it could have been better coming off a winning year. I wasn't hoping for 28k season ticket holders, just avg total per game. Good to see the needle moving in the right direction.

mdccclxix
04-30-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm excited for the opening of the Smale Riverfront Park this summer, which should be phenomenal, and also add some ticket sales. Being out of town, the prospect of going to see a Reds game AND having something to do before and after the game is a huge bonus. A weekend series becomes a whole getaway to parks and bars and, oh yea, championship caliber baseball. I expected a lot from the Banks, but really didn't put a number on what it could do for ticket sales. It could be greater than many people thought. A poster made a great point about common weekend sellouts leading to a larger demand during the week, then of season tickets. There is a tipping point to all this and hopefully it's approaching soon.

cincrazy
04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm excited for the opening of the Smale Riverfront Park this summer, which should be phenomenal, and also add some ticket sales. Being out of town, the prospect of going to see a Reds game AND having something to do before and after the game is a huge bonus. A weekend series becomes a whole getaway to parks and bars and, oh yea, championship caliber baseball. I expected a lot from the Banks, but really didn't put a number on what it could do for ticket sales. It could be greater than many people thought. A poster made a great point about common weekend sellouts leading to a larger demand during the week, then of season tickets. There is a tipping point to all this and hopefully it's approaching soon.

Is the Smale Riverfront Park what they're building currently across the street from the ballpark along the river? And what exactly are the plans for this land? I've been to three games this year and for some reason just now noticed today that the property was fenced off for a reason, they were actually doing something. I've long felt there should be some kind of park there, looks like it could be beautiful, albeit it's in the early stages of being built.

mdccclxix
04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Is the Smale Riverfront Park what they're building currently across the street from the ballpark along the river? And what exactly are the plans for this land? I've been to three games this year and for some reason just now noticed today that the property was fenced off for a reason, they were actually doing something. I've long felt there should be some kind of park there, looks like it could be beautiful, albeit it's in the early stages of being built.

http://www.urbancincy.com/2012/03/smale-riverfront-park-to-feature-1000-foot-boat-dock/

Prather says that the grand opening for the Smale Riverfront Park will take place on May 18, 2012, and at that time will have virtually all construction work on the massive project’s first phase complete. He says that solar panels on the Schmidlapp Event Lawn’s stage will be installed next week, and that the first event will be held there on St. Patrick’s Day weekend.

The 11:43 video also showed where historical markers and the location of home plate existed at Riverfront Stadium will be installed in the coming months.

Visual progress is evident on the park’s second geothermal well which will produce 400 gallons of 57-degree water per minute. Progress is also noticeable on the foundation for the labyrinth and Black Brigade Monument.

Prather also said that the most complicated piece of construction left is the work on the Main Street Fountain, and that there are approximately 30 to 40 construction workers on site each day taking advantage of the favorable weather conditions lately.

Perhaps the two most exiting pieces of information from the video came at the end when Prather described the 1,000-foot boat dock that will eventually be in place and the approximately 300 trees that will be planted within the next month-and-a-half.

This was from 3/16/12, so I am hoping things are in place by late May when I make it in for a game or three.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-01-2012, 01:21 AM

Smale Riverfront Park—MID SPRING 2012 Construction Update - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZILBLEHfHs)

bucksfan2
05-01-2012, 08:49 AM

If you want a park, the Moreline Lager House Beer Garden is fantastic. The outdoor space is very large and very family friendly. I was there a few weeks ago and there were tons of people just mingling around. I was very impressed, I didn't realize that the Moreline House actually owned that property until told so.

mdccclxix
05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
If you want a park, the Moreline Lager House Beer Garden is fantastic. The outdoor space is very large and very family friendly. I was there a few weeks ago and there were tons of people just mingling around. I was very impressed, I didn't realize that the Moreline House actually owned that property until told so.

Oh I can't wait, believe me!

redsmetz
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM

I don't believe Moerlein owns the park. I think they actually have contracted to operate that area and booking events into it. But I believe it's a city owned park.

bucksfan2
05-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't believe Moerlein owns the park. I think they actually have contracted to operate that area and booking events into it. But I believe it's a city owned park.

That would make more business sense. I was there before the 2nd game of the season and then ate dinner at the restaurant afterwards. There were plenty of vendors as well as Moreline having a tap station selling beer. Really the only thing that was missing was a large screen to play the baseball game. They did however shut the area down after the crowd died off.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm in Centerville and trying to decide whether to go down to the game tonight or not. Listening to WLW, they're talking about some potential strong storms tonight, particularly after 6 p.m. And I can see some gloomy looking clouds off to the west. ... Decisions, decisions.

jhc2010
05-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Following the off day on Monday and rain-out Tuesday, the Reds drew 16,868 on Wednesday night against the Cubs. The Thursday afternoon extra-inning game drew 23,288.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Following the off day on Monday and rain-out Tuesday, the Reds drew 16,868 on Wednesday night against the Cubs. The Thursday afternoon extra-inning game drew 23,288.

There were at least 30,000 people in the park on Tuesday night, but most were the Kid Glove ticketholders and didn't count toward the official attendance. The park was packed though.

paintmered
05-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Profits from the Lager House are the primary source of operational funding for the Smale Riverfront Park.

jhc2010
05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
There were at least 30,000 people in the park on Tuesday night, but most were the Kid Glove ticketholders and didn't count toward the official attendance. The park was packed though.There was no attendance number released since the game did not even begin.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-04-2012, 06:34 PM
There was no attendance number released since the game did not even begin.

I meant Wednesday night. There were far more people in the park than the 16K and change announced.

jhc2010
05-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Reds average attendance through 14 games:

2012 - 25,002
2011 - 22,836
2010 - 20,152
2009 - 18,697
2008 - 21,375

2012 MLB Attendance

NJReds
05-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm not going to be helping Cincinnati attendance, but I'm going to one of the games at Citi Field and one at Yankee Stadium next week.

Good to see attendance up so far. Hopefully they keep playing well and then when school lets out, those numbers should pick up some more. Might be a good year for a summer road trip out to GABP.

Hoosier Red
05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Reds average attendance through 14 games:

2012 - 25,002
2011 - 22,836
2010 - 20,152
2009 - 18,697
2008 - 21,375

2012 MLB Attendance

Thanks for tracking these jhc. Something interesting I looked up, the last 4 years, the overall attendance/game has been on average 20% higher than the first 14 games attendance per game.
This of course makes sense, but its important to keep in context. If the trend held this year, the Reds would draw just over 2.4 million fans which would again be about a 10% increase from the previous season.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm not going to be helping Cincinnati attendance, but I'm going to one of the games at Citi Field and one at Yankee Stadium next week.

Good to see attendance up so far. Hopefully they keep playing well and then when school lets out, those numbers should pick up some more. Might be a good year for a summer road trip out to GABP.

Drive over for a weekend series and hit three games! :beerme:

I'm driving from Cincinnati to a buddy's house in Philly next Friday and then we'll take the train up to NYC for one of the Yankees games.

Chip R
05-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Here's what MIL drew for the 3 game series against the Reds:

Monday: 27,157
Tuesday: 28,108
Wednesday (day game) 27,090

Conversely last week the Reds drew 16,868 on Wednesday against the Cubs - a marquee opponent and the Thursday afternoon game drew 23,288.

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 06:16 PM
One thing about day game that may or may not be true, but I think has some legs, is that a lot of moms like to go to games with their young kids. Does anyone else notice this? That partially explains Cincy's good attendance on day games. Other than that, Milwaukee has a nice confluence of things that Cincy doesn't. Historically poor performances leading to a couple of playoff teams inside a new stadium & a nice roof to stabilize plans for going to games. Reds fans will keep coming around to season tickets as they sustain winning. An underdog performance in the playoffs would really spark city wide interest.

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 06:16 PM
double post

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Gotta boost the season ticket base to have any consistent, meaningful weekday attendance jumps. The weekends will always draw well; very large crowds/sellouts this weekend vs. the Nats probably.

But until the season ticket base is increased, which will happen with sustained winning, weekdays will be what they are.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-12-2012, 11:16 AM
37,255 last night. The walk-up lines were insane - all the ticket windows were at least 20-deep at game time.

Tonight's game is a sell-out, or will be before the game.

redsmetz
05-12-2012, 12:10 PM
37,255 last night. The walk-up lines were insane - all the ticket windows were at least 20-deep at game time.

Tonight's game is a sell-out, or will be before the game.

I pretty much nailed the attendance number when we entered the park. I said 37,000 to my wife.

jhc2010
05-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Reds average attendance through 16 games:

2012 - 26,848
2011 - 24,183
2010 - 19,935
2009 - 21,756
2008 - 21,293

2012 MLB Attendance

Ghosts of 1990
05-13-2012, 03:01 PM
If only these guys could put a hot streak together, that's all the organization needs to get the average over 30,000 at home. The jingoism is high for this group

Chip R
05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
If only these guys could put a hot streak together, that's all the organization needs to get the average over 30,000 at home. The jingoism is high for this group

Won't happen. People have too many excuses not to go to the games.

redsmetz
05-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Won't happen. People have too many excuses not to go to the games.

Not sure about your contention, but I bet the Reds were wishing today this hadn't been the getaway game of a single home series. My guess is walk ups would have been pretty good.

Sea Ray
05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
What's going on with Cleveland's attendance? Is everybody unemployed up there or what? It wasn't that long ago that the Flats were hoppin' and the Jake was sold out every night

WildcatFan
05-14-2012, 10:07 AM
A couple of entertaining games against Atlanta and taking two out of three in New York (please, for the love of everything good), and we could have a nice home crowd next week, I think. Would love to come home in first place. The Cards have a chance to fall back to earth hard with a west coast road trip. This week, we're all Matt Kemp fans.

Tony Cloninger
05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
A couple of entertaining games against Atlanta and taking two out of three in New York (please, for the love of everything good), and we could have a nice home crowd next week, I think. Would love to come home in first place. The Cards have a chance to fall back to earth hard with a west coast road trip. This week, we're all Matt Kemp fans.

And of course....On Q..... Kemp might go on the DL with a hamstring strain....he could barely walk. The luck of the Cards is amazing really. From who they sign to whomever they bring up from their minor leagues.

Chip R
05-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Not sure about your contention, but I bet the Reds were wishing today this hadn't been the getaway game of a single home series. My guess is walk ups would have been pretty good.

Pretty good isn't going to cut it when StL draws 45K and change on Mother's Day (their 5th sellout already) and the Reds only draw 28K. I understand that yesterday was not a particularly appealing day to go down to the game but even if the weather was perfect I would wager the crowd would have barely passed 30K.

We have to resign ourselves to the fact that Reds fans do not - nor have they ever - come out to the ballpark in large numbers on a consistent basis. Drawing a little over 2M a year is nice but when you are competing against StL and MIL and CHI, nice isn't going to cut it.

WildcatFan
05-14-2012, 11:33 AM
And of course....On Q..... Kemp might go on the DL with a hamstring strain....he could barely walk. The luck of the Cards is amazing really. From who they sign to whomever they bring up from their minor leagues.

Jeez, really? OK, um...

This week, we're all Carlos Beltran, Matt Holliday, Lance Lynn, Rafael Furcal, and John Jay fans.

BCubb2003
05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Sustained postseason success is the one thing that will bring the fans. They have to trust that you're for real.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Pretty good isn't going to cut it when StL draws 45K and change on Mother's Day (their 5th sellout already) and the Reds only draw 28K. I understand that yesterday was not a particularly appealing day to go down to the game but even if the weather was perfect I would wager the crowd would have barely passed 30K.

We have to resign ourselves to the fact that Reds fans do not - nor have they ever - come out to the ballpark in large numbers on a consistent basis. Drawing a little over 2M a year is nice but when you are competing against StL and MIL and CHI, nice isn't going to cut it.

Don't underestimate the drawing power of The Banks this year and in coming years to really ramp up attendance. Coupled with a good Reds team, there is a lot of momentum to do things attendance-wise that have never been done. Not to mention, adding hundreds if not thousands of new residents who live within a mile of the ballpark can only be a good thing.

Reds fans might have never come out in droves, but they've also never really had any before/after game options that make coming down an attractive option. Riverfront Stadium and, until this year GABP also, have been islands among concrete oceans of parking lots. And, not to get into stadium asthetics, but Riverfront was a depressing warehouse of a stadium that really did nothing to attract casual fans or just people looking for a night out on the town. Unless you were a diehard, you probably found something else to do.

The Banks is a game-changer. And I think the Reds very much realize this.

gonelong
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
The sellout on Saturday was nice, getting home afterwards, not so much.

GL

REDREAD
05-14-2012, 02:35 PM

Milwaukee and STL were not built in a day.
We had a roughly 10% increase in attendence last year, and we are on pace for it this year too. That's a nice improvement (if it holds all year).
We get your point, the Reds are a long way from drawing 3 million/year and may never do it.. but the region isn't as bad of a baseball area as the cynics claim it is.

mbgrayson
05-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Reds average attendance through 16 games:

2012 - 26,848
2011 - 24,183
2010 - 19,935
2009 - 21,756
2008 - 21,293

2012 MLB Attendance
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance (http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance)

I didn't do the math, but with 28 K yesterday, the Reds now average about 27,000 per game. And for the Nationals series to average over 30,000 per game, that is awesome. I realize they were in first place, but they are still not a big draw historically.

I think this is a great improvement, since it is still the school year, and without factoring in the summer spike in attendance, the Reds are already up almost 3000 fans per game from last year.

To get 28,000 yesterday is amazing. I was there, and had to leave before the game started to catch my plane home. Still, the weather was terrible, and that is a lot of people, with certainly minimal walk up.

We can compare all we want with other clubs and markets, but the only really fair comparison is with the Reds in prior years. Keep up the good work at the Reds marketing department...

MikeThierry
05-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't know if it's fair to compare Cincy and St. Louis crowds considering that the Cards are coming off a World Series and there is a lot of promotional things that the Cards are doing this year in conjunction with it. For example, they had a replica ring give away. It was so popular that they're doing it again. They retired LaRussa's number this weekend and yesterday was a David Freese bobble head day (hometown hero anyone?).

Also, take a look at what happened after they won the World Series in 2006. In 2007, they had 3.5 million plus pack the parks despite the 2007 team being on of the worst Cardinals teams in a decade. They are on pace to match or surpass that number this year.

Sea Ray
05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Don't underestimate the drawing power of The Banks this year and in coming years to really ramp up attendance. Coupled with a good Reds team, there is a lot of momentum to do things attendance-wise that have never been done. Not to mention, adding hundreds if not thousands of new residents who live within a mile of the ballpark can only be a good thing.

Reds fans might have never come out in droves, but they've also never really had any before/after game options that make coming down an attractive option. Riverfront Stadium and, until this year GABP also, have been islands among concrete oceans of parking lots. And, not to get into stadium asthetics, but Riverfront was a depressing warehouse of a stadium that really did nothing to attract casual fans or just people looking for a night out on the town. Unless you were a diehard, you probably found something else to do.

The Banks is a game-changer. And I think the Reds very much realize this.

I must say things were hoppin' downtown on Saturday night and I think it's fair to say Cincinnati is back. I was at Newport at the Levy and it was packed as well but I wish I'd heard some fireworks from the Ohio side. I'm sure the Vine St area in OTR was busy as well. Downtowns are having all kinds of problems these days. It's great to see ours isn't one of them.

It's also great to see so many folks wearing Reds gear. I was at Findlay Market on Sat morning and saw a lot of Reds stuff including workers wearing their Mission October t-shirts

Chip R
05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Milwaukee and STL were not built in a day.
We had a roughly 10% increase in attendence last year, and we are on pace for it this year too. That's a nice improvement (if it holds all year).
We get your point, the Reds are a long way from drawing 3 million/year and may never do it.. but the region isn't as bad of a baseball area as the cynics claim it is.

MIL and StL have always had fans that supported them. When the Braves moved from BOS to MIL, they set a NL attendance record that stood for quite a few years. They have already drawn 600K this year and they are tied for last place. I don't think I have to tell anyone about StL and how well they have drawn.

I don't think Cincinnati's a bad baseball region. It just may not be good enough to compete with our nearest rivals. They draw more and their ticket prices are higher. The Reds are like Joe's Hardware Store competing against Home Depot and Lowe's.

Sea Ray
05-15-2012, 09:33 AM
MIL and StL have always had fans that supported them. When the Braves moved from BOS to MIL, they set a NL attendance record that stood for quite a few years. They have already drawn 600K this year and they are tied for last place. I don't think I have to tell anyone about StL and how well they have drawn.

I don't think Cincinnati's a bad baseball region. It just may not be good enough to compete with our nearest rivals. They draw more and their ticket prices are higher. The Reds are like Joe's Hardware Store competing against Home Depot and Lowe's.

Milwaukee never broke 2 mill in yearly attendance at County Stadium and it's been a recent trend that they've consistently averaged 30K or more a game:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/brewatte.shtml

If they fell on hard times my guess is they'd go the way of the Cleveland Indians. To their credit they've strung together some good seasons and the fans are responding. I see Cincinnati responding as well

Bob Borkowski
05-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Milwaukee never broke 2 mill in yearly attendance at County Stadium and it's been a recent trend that they've consistently averaged 30K or more a game:

If they fell on hard times my guess is they'd go the way of the Cleveland Indians. To their credit they've strung together some good seasons and the fans are responding. I see Cincinnati responding as well

Milwaukee arrived in the bigs in 1953 as the Braves in County Stadium. They topped 2 million in 1954 thru '57. Their attendance was startling.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/bravatte.shtml

Chip R
05-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Might want to check that list again because they did draw 2.3M in 1983. The Braves drew over 2M from 1954-57 and just missed it in 1958. Meanwhile the first year the Reds drew 1M was in 1956.

The problem is that even if the Reds consistently draw 2.6M as they did in 1976, they are still going to lag behind MIL, StL and CHI. Can they do it? They only have to draw 6K more a game than they have been to get there this year. But that means they can't draw 15K a game for a mid-week series with PIT and CLE in June. That would mean Reds fans changing habits that have been going on for generations.

Sea Ray
05-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Milwaukee arrived in the bigs in 1953 as the Braves in County Stadium. They topped 2 million in 1954 thru '57. Their attendance was startling.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/bravatte.shtml

As you and Chip have pointed out Milwaukee has had periods of nice attendance but it wanes if the team isn't so good hence my analogy with Cleveland. I'm sure they really enjoyed those years with a young Hank Aaron leading them

medford
05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Jeez, really? OK, um...

This week, we're all Carlos Beltran, Matt Holliday, Lance Lynn, Rafael Furcal, and John Jay fans.

Remind me never to make enemies with you.

WildcatFan
05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Remind me never to make enemies with you.

If you'll excuse me, I have a tinfoil hat to make.

REDREAD
05-15-2012, 04:34 PM

I disagree about Milwaukee.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/attend.shtml
Not a big draw in attendence until 2007. Consistently in the bottom half of attendence, just like the Reds. Remember all the Bud years when they were total laughing stocks?

The Cards have consistently drawn because they have consistently been in contention. I am pretty sure they have had 12 playoff appearances since 82. That's incredibly impressive. Meanwhile, the Reds had the lost decade where they didn't even pretend to try to win.

Not sure if we will ever get to Milwaukee levels, but I think the Reds growing attendence roughly 10% last year and 10% this year (so far) proves that they aren't dead as a baseball town. They are still a decent regional draw.
If they can get a decent TV contract next time, I think they will be able to compete with StL and Mil long term.. The payrolls will be close enough so as to not be crippling as long as the Reds are smart. That's about all you can ask for as a small market.

REDREAD
05-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Might want to check that list again because they did draw 2.3M in 1983. The Braves drew over 2M from 1954-57 and just missed it in 1958. Meanwhile the first year the Reds drew 1M was in 1956.

Sure, they drew 2.3 million in 1983 (2nd in the league), because in 1982 they went to the World Series.
Not really sure what happened in the 50's is relevant to whether a city is a good baseball town now.

In 1991, the Reds were second in the NL in attendence, because they were coming off a WS win.

If anything, that proves that if a small market team wins, it can draw fans.

If you asked someone in the 80's if it was possible for Cleveland to hold the record for consecutive games sold out, they would've laughed.

I agree that the Cards have a great fan base, but they earned it by winning, not by luck of where their city is on the map.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-15-2012, 05:20 PM

And you're using attendance as the single-biggest barometer to judge whether a city is a baseball city or not. It's a tool, but only one. Since you live in Cincinnati surely you notice that just about everywhere you go people are into the Reds - they're on in every bar and restaurant from north of Dayton to Lexington; Reds hats are everywhere; people talk about the games at work, etc. When Votto homered on Mother's Day, despite there being few people still in the park, the cheers went out all over and the Reds, Votto and slam were all trending on Twitter.

And none of that even takes into account that the Reds are in the top 3 in all of baseball in television ratings. This city/region deeply cares about this team. They just haven't been in the habit of physically going to games for a variety of reasons, not the least of which has been decades of rampant losing, a sterile multi-purpose ballpark and goofy, eccentric owners who either smothered the fans (Marge) or completely ignored them (Lindner). But the passion has never ebbed. And the same goes for the Bengals - their attendance suffered last year but their local ratings were though the roof.

jhc2010
05-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Reds average attendance through 17 games:

2012 - 26,938
2011 - 23,467
2010 - 20,315
2009 - 21,561
2008 - 21,712

Chip R
05-16-2012, 12:49 AM
And you're using attendance as the single-biggest barometer to judge whether a city is a baseball city or not. It's a tool, but only one. Since you live in Cincinnati surely you notice that just about everywhere you go people are into the Reds - they're on in every bar and restaurant from north of Dayton to Lexington; Reds hats are everywhere; people talk about the games at work, etc. When Votto homered on Mother's Day, despite there being few people still in the park, the cheers went out all over and the Reds, Votto and slam were all trending on Twitter.

And none of that even takes into account that the Reds are in the top 3 in all of baseball in television ratings. This city/region deeply cares about this team. They just haven't been in the habit of physically going to games for a variety of reasons, not the least of which has been decades of rampant losing, a sterile multi-purpose ballpark and goofy, eccentric owners who either smothered the fans (Marge) or completely ignored them (Lindner). But the passion has never ebbed. And the same goes for the Bengals - their attendance suffered last year but their local ratings were though the roof.

No disrespect intended but all that and a $1.50 will get you a bottle of pop. I'm not saying the Reds aren't relevant in the Tri-state area. But if you don't have a killer TV contract - and the Reds don't - to be a player in MLB you have to draw very, very well. 2M is no longer the benchmark. Now it's 3M.

Maybe if they had been a better team throughout the last 3 decades like StL they would be drawing around or over 3M on a consistent basis. Maybe if they had a retractable roof over the stadium like MIL they would be drawing around 3M. Maybe if they had 2.7M people living in the city limits or had most of their games broadcast all over the country on cable or had a quaint neighborhood ballpark like CHI they would be drawing 3M a year.

One way or another the Reds have to increase non-shared revenue or they may not be able to keep players signed to long-term deals through the end of their contracts.

redsfan30
05-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Over 26,000 last night and it was a very good environment. Four game winning streak coupled with great weather should result in a similar crowd tonight, hopefully breaking the 30,000 mark.

Chip R
05-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Over 26,000 last night and it was a very good environment. Four game winning streak coupled with great weather should result in a similar crowd tonight, hopefully breaking the 30,000 mark.

Odd there was 17K on Monday but 26K on Tuesday. I didn't see any giveaways last night. But 26K is the kind of weekday crowds they need to compete financially.

guttle11
05-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Odd there was 17K on Monday but 26K on Tuesday. I didn't see any giveaways last night. But 26K is the kind of weekday crowds they need to compete financially.

It was Monday. Monday nights are typically the slow ticket sale night for pretty much everything but WWE and NFL.

Attendance being up on average to date is a good thing. We'll see where it is when schools let out and more families begin to show up for weeknight games.

jhc2010
05-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Total attendance for the four-game series against Atlanta was 87,767.

Monday - 17,606
Tuesday - 26,438
Wednesday - 20,411
Thursday - 23,312

Reds average attendance through 21 games:
2012 - 25,986
2011 - 23,824
2010 - 23,403
2009 - 22,473

Edd Roush
05-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Can we expect 30,000+ crowds this weekend? Any chance at any sell-outs?

OesterPoster
05-25-2012, 09:00 AM
I watch Stubhub prices religiously for games I'm thinking about attending, and the lowest price for a Kroger bleacher seat is my barometer. And those numbers have been gradually trending upwards. A few games I'm watching have had $2 to $4 prices for those seats, and they're working up towards $9 or $10.

KittyDuran
05-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Can we expect 30,000+ crowds this weekend? Any chance at any sell-outs?

Big weekend for downtown with "The Taste of Cincinnati" for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Promotions:
Friday - Fireworks
Saturday - Replica of Rolen's gold glove award
Sunday - Kid's binoculars

Reds Freak
05-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Big weekend for downtown with "The Taste of Cincinnati" for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Promotions:
Friday - Fireworks
Saturday - Replica of Rolen's gold glove award
Sunday - Kid's binoculars

I gotta believe we'll top 100,000, won't we?

Edd Roush
05-25-2012, 10:08 AM

I sure hope so. I keep on telling myself that this fanbase will support this team like they should be supported. I plan on attending Saturday and Sunday myself and will try to bring a lot of friends with me. I hope to have to actually sit in the seat I pay for. Taste of Cincinnati and the Banks should provide plenty of other fun for those trying to make the trip from out of town.

NJReds
05-25-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm probably taking a road trip to Cincy for the Brewers series in July. I think that's the same weekend that Larkin goes into the HOF.

oregonred
05-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Should be a big weekend, wish I was back up North for the summer... 110K for the Nationals series, so you'd have to think they'll draw at least that this weekend.

14 of 21 games have been Mon-Thurs weekday games which is holding back the attendance. With the two weekend series against the Nationals and Braves (Marlins with the hybrid opening day Thurs/Sat/Sunday series).

The Reds are routinely averaging high 30s on Fridays and 40K+ on Saturday games over the past couple of seasons. I usually attend one series a summer when I'm up North and know enough to make sure I get tickets ahead of time given the large bump in weekend crowds over the last few seasons. The weekday games are all about the season ticket base and creating local urgency during the week to avoid the big out of town crowds and traffic on Fri/Sat.

MikeThierry
05-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I watch Stubhub prices religiously for games I'm thinking about attending, and the lowest price for a Kroger bleacher seat is my barometer. And those numbers have been gradually trending upwards. A few games I'm watching have had $2 to $4 prices for those seats, and they're working up towards $9 or $10.

Holy Cow!! You guys have it so good for ticket prices there. It's almost like you have to take some money out of your life savings to attend Cardinals games. :(

KittyDuran
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I sure hope so. I keep on telling myself that this fanbase will support this team like they should be supported. I plan on attending Saturday and Sunday myself and will try to bring a lot of friends with me. I hope to have to actually sit in the seat I pay for. Taste of Cincinnati and the Banks should provide plenty of other fun for those trying to make the trip from out of town.
I'll be in the Club for all three games - so I'll be a cool wuss... :thumbup:

dougdirt
05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
I will be there Saturday. Hoping I don't pass out from the heat.

RBA
05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/images/email/y2012/memdayweekend.jpg

traderumor
05-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Sun Deck seats for Latos vs. Grampa on Sunday. Man, its gonna be hot out there. Hopefully Bruce will hit one into the 2nd row in section 143! $40 out the door for a pair on Stub Hub, btw.

oregonred
05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Holy Cow!! You guys have it so good for ticket prices there. It's almost like you have to take some money out of your life savings to attend Cardinals games. :(

Plenty of stubhub tix for less then $20 for the Phillies/Cards on Sunday. Always check them first :)

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I'll be there Saturday night in the Moon Deck. This will be my fourth game this season and we already have tickets to the three game series against the Twins in late June.

MikeThierry
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I've always wondered this but have never asked this question. At Great American, what is the purpose of the big steam boat? Is it a restaurant or a place where people go to just stand?

dougdirt
05-25-2012, 01:34 PM
I've always wondered this but have never asked this question. At Great American, what is the purpose of the big steam boat? Is it a restaurant or a place where people go to just stand?

HOW DARE YOU!

It is a 'group' section that is for 25-125 people. It has tables, seats, a bar and a restaurant.

Dan
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I'll be there tonight. I'm in Dayton visiting family and so taking in a game, too.

Redsfan320
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Doug answered the question, but to elaborate, its kind of a local culture thing because of the Ohio River right behind GABP. I think they just had the black batter's eye structure there the first few years, then added on the riverboat on top of it. Like Doug said, there's a restaurant and some seating. Its also where the center-field (main) cameras are.

Chip R
05-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Just got a ticket for Saturday night.

_Sir_Charles_
05-25-2012, 03:08 PM
HOW DARE YOU!

It is a 'group' section that is for 25-125 people. It has tables, seats, a bar and a restaurant.

Hey, I never knew either. ;)

dougdirt
05-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Just got handed tickets for Sunday afternoon, so it will be two of three for me tonight.

Redhook
05-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Just got handed tickets for Sunday afternoon, so it will be two of three for me tonight.

I'm not one to turn down free tickets, but I think I would for Sunday. It's going to be scorching hot.

gilpdawg
05-26-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm not one to turn down free tickets, but I think I would for Sunday. It's going to be scorching hot.

You're not kidding. I'm going to the 500, and I'm legitimately concerned that it will be too hot to enjoy it.

RedLegsToday
05-26-2012, 07:06 AM

I've gotten group seats on the riverboat deck before. It's not really a restaurant. With your ticket (used to be $60-$70 depending on the opponent) you get an all-you-can-eat buffet and 2 beer tickets. The buffet usually consisted of salad(s), montgomery inn barbeque and the big hotdogs and maybe the metts. The beer tickets got you the cheap swill. Also, you get all the soft drinks and water you want. It's a great time, though, when you bring a big group you end up spending most of the game talking to everyone. I think I usually saw about 3 innings of a game max. :-)

RedsfaninMT
05-26-2012, 12:08 PM
You're not kidding. I'm going to the 500, and I'm legitimately concerned that it will be too hot to enjoy it.

Little different here. 2 inches of new snow on the ground and in the midst of a "Winter Storm Warning" with 2 feet expected in the surrounding mountains. I haven't been able to get my garden in yet, and with nightime temps dipping below freezing, that is looking like a good thing.

Nothing quite like Memorial Day weekend in Montana.

And now you know why the Billings Mustangs season starts so late.

BCubb2003
05-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Little different here. 2 inches of new snow on the ground and in the midst of a "Winter Storm Warning" with 2 feet expected in the surrounding mountains. I haven't been able to get my garden in yet, and with nightime temps dipping below freezing, that is looking like a good thing.

That's impressive even by Syracuse standards. We're usually done with the snow by Mother's Day.

RedsfaninMT
05-26-2012, 05:16 PM
That's impressive even by Syracuse standards. We're usually done with the snow by Mother's Day.

Well, sadly it can snow any day here. But in July it's usually 85, with 15% humidity, and in my book that's tough to beat.

mbgrayson
05-26-2012, 06:24 PM

Same stuff here in Anaconda! ;)

RedsfaninMT
05-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Same stuff here in Anaconda! ;)

But you have Fairmont close by...so you can visit in the mornings and avoid the crowds.

jhc2010
05-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Reds vs. Rockies - May 25-27

Friday 29,597
Saturday 35,314

Reds average attendance through 23 games:
2012 - 26,548
2011 - 23,564
2010 - 22,676
2009 - 22,502

traderumor
05-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Heading out of town for the river here in about 15 minutes. We love the Sun Deck, have a cooler full of water and the little battery operated spray fans. Here's hoping my observation that the Rockies wore out our finesse pitchers but struggled with the power pitchers out of the bullpen last night will hold true for Latos today. I imagine balls will be flying in the 100 degrees heat today.

KittyDuran
05-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm downtown early this morning to get a free parking space. Right now enjoying a beverage at Starbucks w/the yokels... :)

mdccclxix
05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm downtown early this morning to get a free parking space. Right now enjoying a beverage at Starbucks w/the yokels... :)

Say hi to Votto if you see him, and have a tall one for me! :laugh:

KittyDuran
05-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Say hi to Votto if you see him, and have a tall one for me! :laugh:

Sorry, saw no designer shirts in there...
Only a few dreads, yuppies, and a lot of Reds fans... :)

RedsfaninMT
05-27-2012, 11:18 AM
May have to make my September trip to Ohio a little longer to take in more than a nephew getting married and help do my part to boost those attendance numbers.

BTW, snowng HARD here today, with 3-4 inches on the ground.

elfmanvt07
05-27-2012, 11:21 AM
May have to make my September trip to Ohio a little longer to take in more than a nephew getting married and help do my part to boost those attendance numbers.

BTW, snowng HARD here today, with 3-4 inches on the ground.

I don't know if you live near Billings, but considering their season doesn't start until mid June, have you ever heard of them being snowed out?

RedsfaninMT
05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't know if you live near Billings, but considering their season doesn't start until mid June, have you ever heard of them being snowed out?

Yes, in late June several years ago. I live 2 hours west of Billings, in a higher elevation, but sometimes even Billings gets zapped.

Redhook
05-27-2012, 02:24 PM
I imagine balls will be flying in the 100 degrees heat today.

Just a bit, eh? Might get to double digit homers today.

traderumor
05-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Just a bit, eh? Might get to double digit homers today.

yep lost home run derby 5-4

Chip R
05-27-2012, 08:40 PM

94,279 for the 3 game series.

westofyou
05-27-2012, 09:59 PM
94,279 for the 3 game series.

Average that every game and you get 2.56 million a year, currently they are averaging 26,548, last year it was 27,327

Chip R
05-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Average that every game and you get 2.56 million a year, currently they are averaging 26,548, last year it was 27,327

That ain't bad. But even if they did that, that's still south of our closest competitors. And we all know it's not happening.

jhc2010
05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
The average numbers are still way up from last season. The Reds are averaging 3,298 more fans through this point in the season than last year.

Reds average attendance through 24 games:
2012 - 26,666
2011 - 23,368
2010 - 23,232
2009 - 22,215

Sea Ray
05-29-2012, 01:28 PM
The average numbers are still way up from last season. The Reds are averaging 3,298 more fans through this point in the season than last year.

Reds average attendance through 24 games:
2012 - 26,666
2011 - 23,368
2010 - 23,232
2009 - 22,215

So which is it? Is attendance going up or down from last year?

dougdirt
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM

Could be both. It might be up through this point in the season. But it could also be down overall because 'summer' attendance is higher than 'spring' attendance'.

Hoosier Red
05-29-2012, 02:44 PM

The key is to compare what they've averaged through this number of games in past years. The overall comparison isn't valid yet because June-July-August is traditionally higher than April-May attendance by about 4-5K as I recall.

redsmetz
05-29-2012, 02:56 PM
The key is to compare what they've averaged through this number of games in past years. The overall comparison isn't valid yet because June-July-August is traditionally higher than April-May attendance by about 4-5K as I recall.

So the prior years' attendance data is for the entire season? Doesn't that bode well that we're already outdrawing on average even though we've just finished the lean months?

oregonred
05-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Reds averaged a little over 32K last year in 13 June home games. Helped greatly by three weekday sellouts against the Yankees.

Quick back of the envelope for July 2011 was nearly 34,000 a game over 16 dates. Including four attractive weekend series out of five in the month with the Indians, Cardinals, Braves and Giants.

So the Reds drew 960K over just those 29 home dates last season.

This year 2 home series in June, 3 weekday series (Indians). July after the AS Break 5 home weekend series out of the next seven weeks (Cards twice, Cubs, Brewers and Pirates)

Bob Borkowski
06-04-2012, 07:43 AM
The Cincy Enquirer reported yesterday that next Saturday's game with Detroit at GAB is already a sellout.

Hoosier Red
06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
So the prior years' attendance data is for the entire season? Doesn't that bode well that we're already outdrawing on average even though we've just finished the lean months?

I would think so. Though as oregonRed showed, last year's June and July crowds were boosted by some extraordinary fortune in sales.

In the case of fans deciding to make their one trip to a Reds game, high attendance at one series "steals" from high attendance at another. So last year, for a good number of people, the Yankees series, or the Cardinals series or the Brewers series were the one trip they were going to make.
In theory, some of those "one timer" fans have already made their "one trip" for the year so it's not like we can just take attendance through May 31 and boost it by 5K fans for the next three months.

I'd argue in either case that "bird in the hand" analogy is apt here. If the "one timer" fans have already gone to their "one game" but came away impressed, they might come a 2nd and a 3rd time. If they had decided to make their one trip in August, they might not have had that opportunity.

Scrap Irony
06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
This year 2 home series in June, 3 weekday series (Indians). July after the AS Break 5 home weekend series out of the next seven weeks (Cards twice, Cubs, Brewers and Pirates)

Indians usually draw well. Cards, Cubs, and Brewers draw very well (and should this seaso as well). If they draw well in those months, they should break the 2.5 million mark. Especially if they're playing for the pennant in September.

gonelong
06-04-2012, 12:43 PM
The Cincy Enquirer reported yesterday that next Saturday's game with Detroit at GAB is already a sellout.

Taking my 8.5 year old son. Excited for the game, not excited about the traffic.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-04-2012, 12:54 PM

With Friday being fireworks night, I'd be shocked if that doesn't sell out as well.

Bob Borkowski
06-04-2012, 01:07 PM
With Friday being fireworks night, I'd be shocked if that doesn't sell out as well.

Any special attraction on Saturday?

Sea Ray
06-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Taking my 8.5 year old son. Excited for the game, not excited about the traffic.

They handle traffic very well down there. Enjoy the day and bring back a win!

KittyDuran
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Grilling set

KittyDuran
06-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Saturday's game is also a 4:10pm start...

WildcatFan
06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Sunday's game was picked up by ESPN for Sunday Night Baseball. Does anyone know if that tends to draw big crowds? Seems to me it'll make the game more of an event.

gonelong
06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
They handle traffic very well down there. Enjoy the day and bring back a win!

Parked between the stadiums last time we went down and sat in the parking lot for a good 45 minutes before I moved an inch.

Will probably try to get there earlier this time and park on the KY side. At the very least, I'll park much, much, much closer to an exit if we park in the same lot. Could have been out of there 35 minutes faster If I had moved 20 spots in either direction.

GL

KittyDuran
06-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Parked between the stadiums last time we went down and sat in the parking lot for a good 45 minutes before I moved an inch.

Will probably try to get there earlier this time and park on the KY side. At the very least, I'll park much, much, much closer to an exit if we park in the same lot. Could have been out of there 35 minutes faster If I had moved 20 spots in either direction.

GL
GL, was that the 5/26 (Saturday) game? If yes, I was at that parking lot as well. But it over 35K and lots of people stayed till the end of the game. I plan to park at the Levee this Saturday or try to get down there early and plug the parking meter for a few hours (till 5pm).

Tommyjohn25
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Justin Verlander. :)

Sea Ray
06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I usually park at a meter on the street somewhere north of the stadium. After 6 and all day Sunday meters are free. It's a little hike but after all the junk I eat at the games, it serves me right...

BearcatShane
06-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Sunday's game was picked up by ESPN for Sunday Night Baseball. Does anyone know if that tends to draw big crowds? Seems to me it'll make the game more of an event.

The Reds played the Braves last year on Sunday Night Baseball and it was indeed a very nice crowd. With the Tigers being in town, kids out of school and a very nice weather night expected, I could see 35K.

gonelong
06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
GL, was that the 5/26 (Saturday) game? If yes, I was at that parking lot as well. But it over 35K and lots of people stayed till the end of the game. I plan to park at the Levee this Saturday or try to get down there early and plug the parking meter for a few hours (till 5pm).

It was the Saturday 5/12 game, it was a bobblehead (Votto?).

Reds Lost 2-1 to Wash and the stadium was still full in the 9th. Left the house around 4:00 PM for the game, in the stadium by 6:00 PM, didn't get home until after a bit after midnight. Game over around 9:45 PM or so, at car by 10:00, 45 minute wait, 1:15 drive home (first 10 miles very slow).

GL

MikeThierry
06-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't understand some of these average home attendance league wide:

Cleveland: 17,159
Tampa Bay: 19,504
White Sox: 20,969
Baltimore: 23,436
Washington: 28,229

While I still don't understand why Cincy isn't drawing more than it is, its absolutely mind boggling as to why these markets would struggle to draw fans. Their teams are very good.

camisadelgolf
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't understand some of these average home attendance league wide:

Cleveland: 17,159
Tampa Bay: 19,504
White Sox: 20,969
Baltimore: 23,436
Washington: 28,229

While I still don't understand why Cincy isn't drawing more than it is, its absolutely mind boggling as to why these markets would struggle to draw fans. Their teams are very good.
Cleveland's #1 export is crippling depression. No surprise there. People in Tampa would chew off their own arms and legs before they'd go to a Rays game. The White Sox fans are too drunk from the afternoon games at Wrigley to stumble into games. Unless Jose Bautista gets injured, Baltimore just knows they're destined for last place no matter what they do. Washington is still feeling the hurt from having had Jim Bowden as GM.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
When the Browns returned to Cleveland in 1999, and with the emergence of Lebron and the Cavs around about 2004, all of a sudden the Indians weren't nearly so important anymore.

MikeThierry
06-06-2012, 02:11 PM
When the Browns returned to Cleveland in 1999, and with the emergence of Lebron and the Cavs around about 2004, all of a sudden the Indians weren't nearly so important anymore.

Good point, but should it get to the point where they barely draw 17,000? There is "not being important" then there's "barely better than an MLS team" important.

DGullett35
06-06-2012, 08:48 PM
And to think at one time the Indians had over a 400 game home sellout streak. I don't understand it either. They're competative and Progressive field is really a nice ballpark. Ive watched many games there since its only an hour away from where I live. One thing for sure is IMHO Cleveland fans(in any sport) seem to be the most front running fans in all of sports

Bob Borkowski
06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Attendance at tonight's game was only 16,859. Beautiful weather...school is out...the Reds are in first place. That total is pathetic.