PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 4/9

chicoruiz
04-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Reds:

Chris Reineke (30) -Local boy from Defiance, Ohio and Miami U. Still stuck as kind of a AAAA pitcher. Once traded one-for-one for Randy Wolf.

Hal Morris (47) -Hal was once on a Wheaties box; not many non-superstar players can say that. After his playing days, he got an MBA from Stanford, worked in the corporate world for a while, and currently serves as the Angels' scouting director.

Others:

Adam Loewen (28) -His transition from pitcher to 1B-OF seems to be going OK. I always root for these guys.

Nate Colbert (66) -Star of the Padres early seasons. On 8/1/72 he had five homers and 13 RBIs in a doubleheader. The previous record for RBIs in a doubleheader was 11 by Stan Musial, and oddly enough, a young Nate Colbert was in the stands that day.

Claude Passeau -Pitched a one-hitter in game 5 of the 1945 World Series, the most recent World Series the Cubs have been in. Lived to age 94.

Hippo Vaughn -Known for his double no-hitter with Fred Toney of the Reds. Holds the NL career record for errors by a pitcher. Stabbed in 1920 by his father-in-law.

Doc White -Called "Doc" because he was a dental school graduate. Wrote several songs with then-sportswriter Ring Lardner; a couple of them were fairly popular in their day. Held the consecutive scoreless innings pitched record until Don Drysdale broke it in 1968. White saw the record broken, then died a few months later at age 89.

dougdirt
04-09-2012, 01:26 PM
You forgot one: Me. Oh, I am not a Red you say? I beg to differ. I dream I am all of the time.

cumberlandreds
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Happy Birthday Doug!

Benihana
04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
And perhaps one of the youngest Reds (fans): My daughter turned 1 today!

chicoruiz
04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
You forgot one: Me. Oh, I am not a Red you say? I beg to differ. I dream I am all of the time.

Happy Birthday, Doug...If Redszone had a Wheaties box you'd definitely be on it, just like Hal...

_Sir_Charles_
04-09-2012, 05:34 PM

:birthday::party::rockband::party::birthday:

I love that age. :O) Take the time to enjoy it beni...it goes SOOOOO fast.

Bob Borkowski
04-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Happy second birthday today!!

Bob Borkowski
04-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Hey, Happy Birthday!