PDA

View Full Version : DAT DUDE BP!!!!!!!!!!!!

wvreds
04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
GOOD DAY #Cincinnati... Just got to say, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!! Looks like y'all might have to deal w/ me a little bit longer ��

That is from Brandon Phillips' Twitter.... Im guessing he got his extension

https://twitter.com/#!/DatDudeBP

Birdman007
04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Can't link it from my phone but Bowden is saying 6 years 72.5 million. Way to long if u ask me.

Ironman92
04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
6 years/72 million

I'd rather they offered 3 years/40 million

I don't trust him for 6 more years....hopefully I'm wrong.

texasdave
04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/phillips-reds-progress-toward-extension.html

The Reds have agreed in principle to a six-year, $72.5MM extension with Brandon Phillips, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (Twitter links). However, the agreement is pending approval from ownership and the deal remains unconfirmed.

TheBigLebowski
04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
6 years. 72.5 mil. I like it. Bit too much $$$$, 2 years too long, but I am not going to catch myself complaining about a Cincinnati professional sports franchise paying TOO MUCH to keep its stars in town. Congrats, Dat Dude.

texasdave
04-10-2012, 01:44 PM
I suppose with all the TV money that looks to be making its way into the game we should expect contracts that are longer and stronger than in the past.

Grouse
04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Did he pull a hamie last night? It did not look good.

jrandal9
04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
I do not have a huge issue with this deal as Brandon is a gold glove caliber defender. I think he can keep that up for at least another 4 years and in years 5 and 6 the drop off won't be substantial. I mean BP plays hard and is a face of this franchise. Good move by the FO to actually keep our players here even if it cost a little bit more then we would want to give him. Glad to have Brandon with us for the next 6 years!

KYRedLeg
Did he pull a hamie last night? It did not look good.

That was the word on WLW this morning.

swaisuc
6 years. 72.5 mil. I like it. Bit too much $$$$, 2 years too long, but I am not going to catch myself complaining about a Cincinnati professional sports franchise paying TOO MUCH to keep its stars in town. Congrats, Dat Dude.

Great post :beerme:

texasdave
04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
In Fay's column Phillips said it was cramping in the hamstring and he wants to play tonight.

Grouse
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
That was the word on WLW this morning.

Great. I'm happy he is staying though. Who will fill in for him while he is gone? Who will bat leadoff? A hamie can take months to heal. I hope it was a cramp.

Ironman92
04-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Great. I'm happy he is staying though. Who will fill in for him while he is gone? Who will bat leadoff? A hamie can take months to heal.

He didn't do the "collapse in writhing pain" hammy....he did the hobbling "oh crap" hammy.

brm7675
04-10-2012, 01:56 PM
So...lets see, 1st, 2nd, SS, Catcher, RF are all "locked" into the Reds for at least the next five full seasons...not to bad..

Birdman007
04-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm now seeing 6 years 72 million through 2017. So it's a 5 year 60 million dollar extension.

texasdave
04-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Former Reds' general manager Jim Bowden, now with ESPN, reports that the Reds have agreed in principle with Phillips on a six-year, $72.5 million deal. Bowden notes, however, that this is pending approval from ownership. The deal reportedly begins this season, so it will run through 2017.

texasdave
04-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I like it. He earned it. Just opened up some more trading chips for Walt.

Stray
04-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Great news. It's nice to be able to keep our players.

bounty37h
04-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Love it!! He is one of my all time favs, great guy and player!!

LaFlamaBlanca
04-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Just to clarify, it's really a 5 year $60m extension right? That sounds about right to me.

Can't wait to see Joey and Brandon day in day out for the next 6 years!

The DARK
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
12 million per year, exactly what he's making now, for 5 more years. That's not too bad a deal at all, in the grand scheme of things. We'll now have Votto, Bruce, and Phillips together for a long time, and that should be enough to have a solid lineup for years to come if the farm system can give them support.

[deleted]
04-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't want to bring the party down, but I'm not sure I'm keen to this deal, so I'll play devil's advocate. I love Phillips, but he's already 30 and playing a premium defensive position. Can we really expect him to be the same second baseman he is three years from now? Probably not. And six?! His power numbers have been declining for the past 5 or so years, his speed evaporated a few seasons ago, and he owns a career .322 OBP. He hit .300 last year, but with a BABIP 30 points higher than his career average - he's a career .270 hitter. I would have absolutely been all for giving him another three years, but six is overkill. He's undoubtedly one of the game's best 2B, but guys at that position fall off much more quickly than someone at 1B or LF. Does he shift to 3B in a couple of years to make room for Hamilton? This is a lot of money that could have been used on a pitcher or lead-off/clean-up hitter. I know BP is beloved in Cincy and does a lot for the city and community, but Harang was the same way, and we knew when it was best for the team to move on from him. This seems like a very short-sighted deal to me.

R_Webb18
04-10-2012, 03:28 PM
his power has not really been going down. he just happened to hit more home runs 1 year. he hit 30 home runs once and has been between 17-21 every year.

krm1580
04-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I am ok with extending him, but not for 6 years. I was hoping for 4 at most.

Red Raindog
04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Even though I sometimes get ticked off at him for clowning around at the wrong time -- he is my favorite Reds player on the roster -- glad to know he'll be around in the future.

The Rage
04-10-2012, 03:40 PM
The Reds have been horrible on extensions lately and this is another bad one. You don't bother extending the Phillips of the world. Much like Arroyo, they are products that can be replaced easily, efficiently. Maybe they plan on moving him to 3rd base in a couple of years, but that leaves a deficit there as well.

bmwreds31
04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Heres the facts for nay sayers.

Facts are BP wanted long term here and would accept less money per year for it.

he wouldnt accept 12mil a year here for only 2-4 yrs.

Reason he would not accept that^^^ Is because a bigger city franchise would offer him 18 mil a year for 2-4 yrs.

So its either we keep brandon long term. or we dont keep brandon. And thats the facts with all of this town stars and thats why cincy tends to be a minor league team for the Yankees and redsox of the country.

CrosleyField
04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Congrats to BP

LaFlamaBlanca
04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
The Reds have been horrible on extensions lately and this is another bad one. You don't bother extending the Phillips of the world. Much like Arroyo, they are products that can be replaced easily, efficiently. Maybe they plan on moving him to 3rd base in a couple of years, but that leaves a deficit there as well.

Is that so? So I'm assuming we have 3-5 6 WAR Gold Glove 2nd basemen sitting at Louisville? Brandon Phillips was the 4th best 2B in the entire game of baseball last year. How are we replacing that exactly?

Mutaman
04-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Congradulations Brandon, you are a true Redleg and I look forward to rooting for you in the years to come.

I guess the Lindner years are now officially over- go suck on a banana Carl.

Now its up to the fans to show a little support.

Mutaman
04-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Brandon Phillips was the 4th best 2B in the entire game of baseball last year.

I'll give you Robinson Cano, but who were the other 3?

LaFlamaBlanca
04-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I'll give you Robinson Cano, but who were the other 3?

In terms of WAR, Pedroia and Zobrist were also higher than our boy. Cano ranked 6th, with a 5.6.

brm7675
04-10-2012, 04:35 PM

How are any of them horrible? All are extremely smart business moves and this is a business...

Mutaman
04-10-2012, 04:44 PM
In terms of WAR, Pedroia and Zobrist were also higher than our boy. Cano ranked 6th, with a 5.6.

Well that proves something doesn't it.

LaFlamaBlanca
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Well that proves something doesn't it.

What are you suggesting?

cres36
04-10-2012, 04:58 PM
I think the extension was a little long...but i am still very happy to keep BP in a reds uniform!

Mutaman
04-10-2012, 05:00 PM
What are you suggesting?

That WAR is not the be all and end all. Ben Zobriest over BP? Sorry, not buying.

redsfanmia
04-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Another albatross signing, lets sign Stubbs now for 10 years $100 million.

malcontent
04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm just curious where that leaves Gregorius in the plans.

I'm assuming that this means Hamilton will be shifted to CF.

R_Webb18
04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
10,11,12,13,14 million

Billy Hamilton's Legs
04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
As much as I want to love this deal, I can't say it's a move that was best for the franchise's long term interests. Maybe the next couple years brings in a championship and everything that comes with that (attendance, etc). But we could have gotten a REALLY nice RH LF bat for the middle of the order. Having a leadoff man is nice, and BP's flexibility to hit anywhere is certainly convenient, but having Votto-RH masher-Bruce might have been worth more. Especially if we see Cozart get comfortable in the 2 hole. I love BP and much as anybody, but you want to give out contracts like this to players you think can outplay their contracts rather than players you doubt will be able to live up to them.

Whatever. Cast is spending and I like it. Go reds

Billy Hamilton's Legs
04-10-2012, 06:01 PM
As much as I want to love this deal, I can't say it's a move that was best for the franchise's long term interests. Maybe the next couple years brings in a championship and everything that comes with that (attendance, etc). But we could have gotten a REALLY nice RH LF bat for the middle of the order. Having a leadoff man is nice, and BP's flexibility to hit anywhere is certainly convenient, but having Votto-RH masher-Bruce might have been worth more. Especially if we see Cozart get comfortable in the 2 hole. I love BP and much as anybody, but you want to give out contracts like this to players you think can outplay their contracts rather than players you doubt will be able to live up to them.

Whatever. Cast is spending and I like it. Go reds

brm7675
04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Another albatross signing, lets sign Stubbs now for 10 years $100 million.

You really don't grasp baseball or pro sports in this new era do you? A group of men just paid 2 billion dollars for a team, the teams have money and this contract is in no way an "albatross" to the Reds.

markymark69
04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I know there are many out there (especially the holier than thou know it all media) that will crucify the Reds for being pound foolish as opposed to penny-wise, but I like it.

What have Reds fans wanted for years? - a commitment to winning - if they haven't sent that message then it will never be sent.

The tail end of these deals for Votto and Phillips may not be good, but for right now, who cares - it's great to see as far as this life-long Reds fan is concerned.

DocRed
04-10-2012, 06:17 PM
6 years/72 million

I'd rather they offered 3 years/40 million

I don't trust him for 6 more years....hopefully I'm wrong.

BP is not an idiot and neither is his agent. No way would he sign for only 3 years, it's just not a possibility.

Mr Larkin
04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Reading these posts drives me crazy. Complaints are made when management does nothing. Complaints come when the management does big things. I can't believe how some on here react.
Keeping Votto and BP for the near future is a good thing.

BLEEDS
04-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm now seeing 6 years 72 million through 2017. So it's a 5 year 60 million dollar extension.

That's a bargain...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

TuneSquad
04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I am just baffled when people say they dont trust BP for 6 years... He hit .300 last year haha, and to me not many signs of deterioration other than the decrease in steals which isnt a big deal

Mutaman
04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Reading these posts drives me crazy. Complaints are made when management does nothing. Complaints come when the management does big things. I can't believe how some on here react.

:thumbup:

Many people here don't see the big picture. This move is a final sayonara to the Lindner years. Maybe the investment will work, maybe it won't, but at least they're willing to make the investment. Rewarding players who are part of your team is the way to go.

At least now we know we have an owner who wants to win and will put his revenue sharing money back into the team instead of giving it to a bunch of terrorists down in South America.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
04-10-2012, 08:02 PM
:thumbup:

Many people here don't see the big picture. This move is a final sayonara to the Lindner years. Maybe the investment will work, maybe it won't, but at least they're willing to make the investment. Rewarding players who are part of your team is the way to go.

At least now we know we have an owner who wants to win and will put his revenue sharing money back into the team instead of giving it to a bunch of terrorists down in South America.

The big picture is that BPs contract could really hurt us during those last 2 yrs. I'm not saying anything that you don't already know, but I'm curious why you are so comfortable with giving the guy 24mm over 2 yrs when he may not be producing very much. The Rolen/Arroyo extensions are examples of why you don't pay aging players that kind of money. Imagine what the Reds have done with that money if both extensions hadn't been made? That kind of money would get us two very good players; take your pick: 3B, LF, CF, SP. Could easily be the difference between a playoff team and a world series team.

I love BP, I really do. But why not make the most of the money you're going to spend? If he was willing to spend that money on BP, what makes you think he wouldn't spend it on a solid free agent to solidify the middle of the order? Fan favorite players are great, but winning teams are better. Votto, Bruce, Cueto, and Chapman are enough to satisfy the familiar face problem. Cast wants to create a winning franchise, players feelings are probably not his priority.

redsfanmia
04-10-2012, 08:09 PM
You really don't grasp baseball or pro sports in this new era do you? A group of men just paid 2 billion dollars for a team, the teams have money and this contract is in no way an "albatross" to the Reds.

Thanks for educating me on the new era of pro sports. Come to me in 4 years and tell how great these signings are when the Team is Votto, Phillips and a bunch of minimum salary guys.

Mr Larkin
04-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for educating me on the new era of pro sports. Come to me in 4 years and tell how great these signings are when the Team is Votto, Phillips and a bunch of minimum salary guys.

If we wanted to keep our two stars, then we had to pony up the money. The mentality is to try ot win sooner rather than later and I agree with that.

The Bailey experiment is getting old. That was a part of the old philosophy - these guys will be really good one day. That does not work.

Bruce seems to be the real deal. Mes is the long term catcher. So the feeling is that we need to try to win in the next 3-5 years, playoffs, deep in the playoffs and even a WS. If we let Votto and/or BP walk we would be back to "we'll be good one day."

Good teams often have to see the bigger picture and keeping both of these players was essential to bot our current and future big picture.

bounty37h
04-11-2012, 09:30 AM

Quoted so can be read again, good post and point!

swaisuc
04-11-2012, 10:32 AM

I'd rather answer the question in 4 years of why we're overpaying Votto/Phillips than answer the question of why we still haven't put a competitive team on the field.

swaisuc
04-11-2012, 10:37 AM
4 years from now BP + Votto = 33M
Todays BP + Votto + Arroyo = 33M

Take Arroyo off this team and do you feel we are so hamstrung by salary that we have all minimum salary guys?

Bruce will be here in 4 years. Mes should be here. Cozart should be here. Not to mention any of the minor leaguers.

redsfanmia
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I'd rather answer the question in 4 years of why we're overpaying Votto/Phillips than answer the question of why we still haven't put a competitive team on the field.

I am not convinced that Votto and Phillips are the answer to fielding a competitive team.

RedsfaninMT
04-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Four years from now (two actually) Arroyo and Rolen are off the payroll, saving a combined $20 million. I see Mes at catcher, Cozart at SS, perhaps Frazier at 3B, Bruce is signed for RF. That leaves CF and LF as big ?'s for salary, with it being entirely possible that Stubbs is gone by then. Perhaps Yorman Rodriguez has fulfilled his potential by then and sits in LF. Maybe Hamilton is switched to CF. The staff could definely take up some salary, but to say the team outlined below would stink could turn out to be entirely wrong.

My lineup for 2016:
Hamilton (swithched to CF for his speed)
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Mesoraco
BP
Frazier
Rodriguez

Staff is Cueto, Stephenson, Chapman, Leake, Corcino