PDA

View Full Version : Who's next up for an extension?

Plus Plus
04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
With Votto under control through 2023, Phillips through 2017, Bruce through 2017, Cueto through 2015, Chapman through (at least) 2015, and Marshall through 2015, and Cozart, Latos, Mesoraco, Stubbs, Leake, and others still on rookie contracts, the question becomes:

Who is next up for a contract extension for the Reds, if anyone?

savafan
04-10-2012, 01:51 PM
I wait until after we see how Latos does in GABP this season.

Caveat Emperor
04-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I feel like I should go talk to Bob and see if I can milk a million or two out of him for my services as a fan and on again / off again message board contributor.

HotCorner
04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I feel like I should go talk to Bob and see if I can milk a million or two out of him for my services as a fan and on again / off again message board contributor.

:D

I like your thinking.

RichRed
04-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Time to lock up Alfredo Simon and Willie Harris!

CySeymour
04-10-2012, 02:01 PM
How about Corky Miller's stache?

mace
04-10-2012, 02:02 PM
They're most likely tapped-out at this point, but I've been wondering if it might make sense to approach Madson. He obviously can't expect the Reds to exercise that $11 million option for next year; but at the same time, he can't be expecting a windfall free-agent contract, either. It will already cost the club $2.5 million to let him walk. I wonder if he'd do three to five years at around $5-7 million per. I don't know whether it fits the club's budget plans, but it could be a nice value.

wolfboy
04-10-2012, 02:03 PM
How about Corky Miller's stache?

I hope there's a space on reserve in the Reds Hall of Fame.

Ghosts of 1990
04-10-2012, 02:05 PM
How about locking Bruce up a bit longer, before he commands a Votto-sized contract.

MikeThierry
04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Scott Rolen, 20 years, 500 million dollar contract :D

had to get that in.

WildcatFan
04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
At risk of making this board explode, the answer might be Dusty Baker.

Dan
04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
They're most likely tapped-out at this point, but I've been wondering if it might make sense to approach Madson. He obviously can't expect the Reds to exercise that $11 million option for next year; but at the same time, he can't be expecting a windfall free-agent contract, either. It will already cost the club $2.5 million to let him walk. I wonder if he'd do three to five years at around $5-7 million per. I don't know whether it fits the club's budget plans, but it could be a nice value.

I'm not thinking that long, but a restructured deal where they pay him $2.5million this season, and guarantee next season with a club option after that makes sense in the price range you mentioned.

klw
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I think you could look at deals locking up Cozart and Mex to ensure some cost predictability through their arbitration years. Reason to do it early is to do it before they explode. This might not be for a year or two esp with Mez as his more limited playing time will hamper a huge cost in growth.

kaldaniels
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Nm

mattfeet
04-10-2012, 03:03 PM

I, unfortunately, agree.

Scrap Irony
04-10-2012, 03:05 PM

That's a clever move, IMO.

And, because of the injury, one that may work out.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Mat Latos.

Caveat Emperor
04-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Not with TLR sitting on the sidelines, methinks.

Cyclone792
04-10-2012, 03:19 PM

I'm thinking the early returns on this season may go a long way toward whether that becomes a reality or not. If the Reds start off well these first few months, my hunch is Baker is retained. If the Reds struggle, I think he might be let go.

One thing that's obvious now is the front office is making it known that the tools are in the toolbox. There's talent on the roster that should be producing wins in 2012 and beyond. The team is locking up its core and has a decent compliment of others to surround the core. If the wins show up, it'd be difficult from a PR perspective to let Baker go (this comes from someone who's not Dusty's biggest fan). If the team underperforms and languishes for a second consecutive year, the hammer will fall on Baker.

AmarilloRed
04-10-2012, 03:38 PM
You see if you can lock up both Cueto and Bruce-at the last year of their contracts for a extension-10-15 million per year for each of them.

redsmetz
04-10-2012, 03:41 PM

I pointed this out at the time of the Votto extension press conference & no one seemed to notice it. Castellini made clear that an extension for Dusty is something he desires. Not everyone around here dislikes the guy, so I wouldn't be surprised. Frankly, I've said this numerous times, I'm glad to see the merry-go-round managerial chair gone.

RichRed
04-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking the early returns on this season may go a long way toward whether that becomes a reality or not. If the Reds start off well these first few months, my hunch is Baker is retained. If the Reds struggle, I think he might be let go.

One thing that's obvious now is the front office is making it known that the tools are in the toolbox. There's talent on the roster that should be producing wins in 2012 and beyond. The team is locking up its core and has a decent compliment of others to surround the core. If the wins show up, it'd be difficult from a PR perspective to let Baker go (this comes from someone who's not Dusty's biggest fan). If the team underperforms and languishes for a second consecutive year, the hammer will fall on Baker.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder too, with the extensions given to the core vets, if the front office figures that a good way to recoup some dollars is to let Dusty go and sign a lesser "name" for less money. The spending spree might be For Players Only.

klw
04-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Somebody on Twitter posted:

Reds announce signing of Gapper to 10 year $1.5 million contract

WildcatFan
04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I pointed this out at the time of the Votto extension press conference & no one seemed to notice it. Castellini made clear that an extension for Dusty is something he desires. Not everyone around here dislikes the guy, so I wouldn't be surprised. Frankly, I've said this numerous times, I'm glad to see the merry-go-round managerial chair gone.

I'm firmly in that weird place where Dusty drives me nuts with his decisions sometimes, but I also truly believe he manages players themselves as well as anyone in the game. If it's to be believed that managers can affect a season around 2-3 games a year, which Dusty is on the wrong end of, I'm sure, I can't argue with wanting to keep him around. 2010 went a long way toward me coming to that conclusion.

That said, if this year is a serious disappointment, I think you have to go another direction. And third place in the division would be a serious disappointment.

marcshoe
04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I've been working as a fan on a lifetime contract for over forty years now. My current contract was a little too front-loaded for my taste, and I'm hoping to renegotiate and get a payout similar to the one I received back in the seventies.

RedsBaron
04-10-2012, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't have gone more than five years. Was Gapper's contract front loaded or back loaded? Any incentives?

OldRightHander
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I've been working as a fan on a lifetime contract for over forty years now. My current contract was a little too front-loaded for my taste, and I'm hoping to renegotiate and get a payout similar to the one I received back in the seventies.

I hear you. We're apparently on the same contract.

Danny Serafini
04-10-2012, 05:28 PM

Makes you wonder if that means no extension for Mr. Redlegs. I'd hate to see him walk and become Mr. Astro or something.

_Sir_Charles_
04-10-2012, 05:30 PM

Personally, I think this is spot on. It's gonna happen.

Benihana
04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
No one.

Time to take on some year-to-year risk and keep players incentivized. Re-evaluate after the season.

Potential candidates could include Mesoraco, Cozart, Latos, Leake, and Cueto- probably in that order. But probably more likely no one gets an extension until 2013 or even 2014 at the earliest, and that's how it should be IMO.

And if it's up to me, that includes Dusty Baker. Unless of course, the Reds win the Pennant this year.

Roy Tucker
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Maybe Boss and GIK can hit up BCast and WJ for extended RZ funding?

;)

reds44
04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Not with TLR sitting on the sidelines, methinks.
The thought of this makes my head hurt.

Vottomatic
04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Janish is licking his chops!

redsmetz
04-10-2012, 07:34 PM
The thought of this makes my head hurt.

Yes, the thought of LaRussa managing the Reds would cause me to stop going. Period. I think folks assume since Castellini was a part owner of the Cards & has brought in Jocketty, that he's got some sort of man-love for all things St. Louis. I just don't believe that's the case. I think the fact that Bob mentioned it at Votto's presser means he's in Dusty's camp and wants him for longer. I'm thinking Baker's got maybe two or three seasons at the most where he wants to manage.