PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris

ptownred
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I realize it's still early, but there has to be an available LH hitter better than Willie Harris. I guess he's this years version of Willie Tavaras, Corey Patterson, Edgar Renteria, etc. Any ideas?

brm7675
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I realize it's still early, but there has to be an available LH hitter better than Willie Harris. I guess he's this years version of Willie Tavaras, Corey Patterson, Edgar Renteria, etc. Any ideas?

I would take Edgar over Willie in a heart beat...might even take Corey over him also...

bmwreds31
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Willie Harris is Dustys worst creation yet.

Possibly even worse than corey patterson. Defnitely a worse career than corey patterson. So no upside what so ever. I have no idea how dusty managed to squeak him through to the roster without somebody slapping him.

markymark69
04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
It is clear that he is going to have to step it up, at least have an idea when you come to the plate. He is just going up there hacking - that's one thing if you have the potential to hit the ball out of the park, but Harris is not a home run hitter.

He'll be the first DFA of the season, imo - and unless he gives us something soon - that will be sooner rather than later.

ptownred
04-11-2012, 04:53 PM
.239 Career hitter is your LH hitter off the bench? I noticed Johnny Damon is still available. Wonder what it would take to sign him. I read that his agent stated he wanted to get in the neighborhood of 400AB's. Don't know if he would get that many with the Reds.

DocRed
04-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Him making the team out of spring training is the perfect example of Dusty's thought process or lack thereof.

1869's Original
04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
I'd jump on the Johnny Damon bandwagon... What the heck, right?
Harris is 0-7 this season and getting paid $800,000.00 for his services. It's ridiculous.

brm7675
04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Him making the team out of spring training is the perfect example of Dusty's thought process or lack thereof.

Hey Walt signed this guy...lets share the blame...

brm7675
04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Harris is 0-7 this season and getting paid $800,000.00 for his services. It's ridiculous.

Damon is an OF and not very good one at this point, to replace Harris it would have to be with another IF...say I don't know like Todd Frazier...

The DARK
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM

0-7 is hardly the end of the world, and is about as small of a sample size as you can get. He's just a "meh" backup who's on the team because he's a lefty and can play basically every position but pitcher/catcher.

Mutaman
04-11-2012, 07:25 PM
0-7 is hardly the end of the world, and is about as small of a sample size as you can get. He's just a "meh" backup who's on the team because he's a lefty and can play basically every position but pitcher/catcher.

Dam the logic, full spleen ahead.

1869's Original
04-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Damon is an OF and not very good one at this point, to replace Harris it would have to be with another IF...say I don't know like Todd Frazier...

Both Harris and Damon are left fielders
Harris is a lifetime .239 hitter
Damon is a career .286 hitter
While Harris is four years younger, Damon has Series experience, and 9529 AB's to Harris' 2404. I think he'd be a great guy to have on the bench and plug in as a LF/CF/RF when someone needs a day off.

RedsfaninMT
04-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Both Harris and Damon are left fielders
Harris is a lifetime .239 hitter
Damon is a career .286 hitter
While Harris is four years younger, Damon has Series experience, and 9529 AB's to Harris' 2404. I think he'd be a great guy to have on the bench and plug in as a LF/CF/RF when someone needs a day off.

Damon couldn't hit a cutoff man to save himself right now. He has no arm left. Zero. CF? Is this a joke?

Harris might not be the answer, but if Damon were the answer, he would be on another team right now. He is done as anything other than a DH or perhaps 1B. I think we have a decent first baseman right now and no need of a DH.

Ironman92
04-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Damon works the count too much to be on the Reds. I'd like to have him on the bench....the guy is a winner that gets it...few of those guys never hurts.

Compact contact swing....works the count....been there done that...still hungry....I'd love to see him a Red.

RedsfaninMT
04-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Again, Damon has absolutely zero value as a defender. Scratch that - decided to check on Baseballreference.com. He had a -43 in in defensive runs saved against average. To put that in perspective, Adam Dunn's last full year as a leftfielder for the Reds was -17.

The Reds can't carry a bat on the bench who they can use for one pinch hitting appearance per game. Damon makes Dunn look like Brooks Robinson in left field.

Ironman92
04-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Again, Damon has absolutely zero value as a defender. Scratch that - decided to check on Baseballreference.com. He had a -43 in in defensive runs saved against average. To put that in perspective, Adam Dunn's last full year as a leftfielder for the Reds was -17.

The Reds can't carry a bat on the bench who they can use for one pinch hitting appearance per game. Damon makes Dunn look like Brooks Robinson in left field.

Ok. You telling me we couldn't have Damon for Willie Harris? Cairo and Valdez can cover the IF. Does baseball reference have any measurements on how this guy who can't play defense at all and is a sabermetric nightmare on offense helps his team to the postseason almost every year?

jhu1321
04-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Yep. Love this post.

RedsfaninMT
04-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Ok. You telling me we couldn't have Damon for Willie Harris? Cairo and Valdez can cover the IF. Does baseball reference have any measurements on how this guy who can't play defense at all and is a sabermetric nightmare on offense helps his team to the postseason almost every year?

I didn't say he was a nightmare on offense. I maintain the Reds can't afford a guy who will bat once per every 2 or 3 games. I agree with the perceding poster - bring up Frazier.

nkufan23
04-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Fred Lewis??? He is out there...

joe51391
04-11-2012, 11:25 PM
he will be starting at SS and leading off before you know it he's dusty's boy........I really can't stand dusty I hate to say it but I hope the Reds lose 10 in a row fire dusty and win the whole thing

Birdman007
04-11-2012, 11:28 PM

You do understand that Walt is the one who picks the roster not Dusty, right?

LaFlamaBlanca
04-12-2012, 12:56 AM
he will be starting at SS and leading off before you know it he's dusty's boy........I really can't stand dusty I hate to say it but I hope the Reds lose 10 in a row fire dusty and win the whole thing

You're actively rooting against the Reds, hoping Dusty gets fired.. because he's given Willie Harris 7 ABs in 4 games? Some of the anti-Dusty sentiment is unbelievable. Harris is a utility player, on a bench full of them. How is that his/Dusty's fault?

bounty37h
04-12-2012, 09:22 AM
I think there are no-handed hitters out there better than Willie Harris.

SidneySlicker
04-12-2012, 09:46 AM
This guy Willie Harris should be delivering pizzas somewhere. Heisey can be your guy off the bench who hits righties as his numbers show, and promote Todd Frazier, who earned a spot on the team in the spring, to be your utility guy.

Assembly Hall
04-12-2012, 09:51 AM
This guy Willie Harris should be delivering pizzas somewhere. Heisey can be your guy off the bench who hits righties as his numbers show, and promote Todd Frazier, who earned a spot on the team in the spring, to be your utility guy.

Ya cant do that. We have to have a washed up veteran on the team that cant hit a ball out of a phone booth.

ptownred
04-12-2012, 10:08 AM
I just read that Johnny Damon signed with the Indians

Ironman92
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I just read that Johnny Damon signed with the Indians

Good for him.

bmwreds31
04-12-2012, 12:48 PM
You do understand that Walt is the one who picks the roster not Dusty, right?

Your kidding right.

You think corey patterson had nothing to do with dusty? And now you think willie harris has nothign to do with dusty. Get real. Fact is walt comes to dusty and says who do you think should be in. Dusty says dusty pleads hard for his "Project Guy" for the year. And walt gives it to him.

And good god i didnt know we were paying him 800k a year. That makes me want to pull my hair out. Unbelievable a guy like that makes that kind of money.

Just to throw more stats around about this guy.

He played 135 games in 2010 for the nationals. He bat a whopping .183 avg.

jwmann2
04-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Now, now, how many at bats has he had thus far? The guy was solid last season with the horrid Mets. Let's give him a shot. He's only a backup and provides some veteran leadership.

bmwreds31
04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Now, now, how many at bats has he had thus far? The guy was solid last season with the horrid Mets. Let's give him a shot. He's only a backup and provides some veteran leadership.

veteran leadership. Have you seen the guy? I would say hes far from a leader. I know i wouldnt listen to a word the guy said