PDA

View Full Version : Billy Hamilton, c'mon down...er, up!

malcontent
04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
The Cincinnati OF has a place reserved just for you.

Seriously. Hamilton can't be that far away, can he?

He's GOT to be able to make better contact than a guy who refuses to take the bat off his shoulder.

Who knows, Hamilton might not hate to bunt more than three times a season.

"Bunting doesn't by any means define my game," Stubbs said. "It's just an added weapon to my arsenal. When it's available and the situation presents itself, be able to capitalize. It gives me a chance to use my speed."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120308&content_id=27123462&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

texasdave
04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
I think Stubbs may want to alter his approach just a little.

nmculbreth
04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Seriously. Hamilton can't be that far away, can he?

Hamilton has only played a handful of games above low-A... Given that his game is still very much a work in progress, I'd be shocked if we saw him before 2014.

TheBigLebowski
04-12-2012, 05:28 PM
As awful as Stubbs is, next year is the earliest we'll see Hamilton.

A more likely scenario is Stubbs to the pine and Heisey as the starting CF.

texasdave
04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
"Bunting doesn't by any means define my game," Stubbs said. "It's just an added weapon to my arsenal. When it's available and the situation presents itself, be able to capitalize. It gives me a chance to use my speed."

And he is right, striking out does.

malcontent
04-12-2012, 05:43 PM
And he is right, striking out does.
Word.

Jr's Boy
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
The way the Reds bring up Minor Leaguer's,look forward to Hamilton around 2016,2018.:D

jwmann2
04-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Hamilton will be up at least to Louisville by the end of the year. That I can guarantee. He's not much in terms of offense but I say bat him 2nd and let him bunt and leg them out. You'll at least get a sacrifice out of it as long as Phillips is leading off.

Ironman92
04-12-2012, 08:25 PM
The way the Reds bring up Minor Leaguer's,look forward to Hamilton around 2016,2018.:D

Beat me too it.

R_Webb18
04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
cant he hit? i thought he was kinda like stubbs just faster? i mean stubbs wont even try to bunt. he tricked us all on opening day. the thing is he see's others on team do and it works but he still just stares at the ball.

malcontent
04-12-2012, 09:45 PM
After watching Valdez bunt safely twice yesterday, I fully expect Stubbs to not attempt one for the next 25 games.

I really think those scouts that were warning pre-draft that he wouldn't hit enough weren't talking just about his swing.

He must have always had these issues. Between the ears issues.

texasdave
04-12-2012, 09:49 PM
After watching Valdez bunt safely twice yesterday, I fully expect Stubbs to not attempt one for the next 25 games.

I really think those scouts that were warning pre-draft that he wouldn't hit enough weren't talking just about his swing.

He must have always had these issues. Between the ears issues.

I was expecting Valdez to bunt in the 9th. You would have to think that would be the last thing the Nats would be looking for. Valdez strikes me as a heady player.

DGullett35
04-12-2012, 10:47 PM
I think with Brandon's extension that the Reds could shop Hamilton for maybe a pitcher or outfield bat. Our infield is pretty solidified for the next few years. I just don't see where Billy fits in. I wish we could get a RH bat that hits for some power and can play the corner OF spots. Thats the #1 priority on my Reds wish list. #2 would be another reliever. The bullpen seems to be somewhat solid but you can never have enough middle relievers esp. with Masset down right now, and Simon and Arredondo(I thought this guy would have a great year in 2012 but seems to be the same pitcher we had last year) having control issues.

malcontent
04-13-2012, 12:05 AM
I think with Brandon's extension that the Reds could shop Hamilton for maybe a pitcher or outfield bat. Our infield is pretty solidified for the next few years. I just don't see where Billy fits in. I wish we could get a RH bat that hits for some power and can play the corner OF spots. Thats the #1 priority on my Reds wish list.
Well, only 10 of the 13 position players they have now are RH.

What's one more? You could platoon him with Bruce in RF.

joshua
04-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Hamilton is at least a few years away from hitting major league pitching.

Phipps is struggling currently (SSS), but tore it up in the minors the last two years. In 82 games in AA he wend .328/.382/.502 before being promoted to Louisville for 40 games and hitting .380/.428/.576.

If I were Walt, I'd be looking for move Stubbs for anything, possibly a serviceable vet reliever who can put some innings on his shoulders. Then I'd stick Heisey in CF every day and let Phipps share time with Ludwick over in left. Couldn't be worse than what we've seen out of Stubbs last year, and whatever the hell it is we're seeing him do this year.

Andrew Brackman is lighting up AAA right now BTW. Only 6 innings, but I know he could do better than Simon. Also Kanekoa Texeira has only given up two hits in 5.1 innings of work, I don't expect it to stick, but so far he's been pretty good compared to the other hurlers we have down there.

lidspinner
04-13-2012, 08:32 AM
I hear stuff like that all the time....."he is still a few years away from being MLB ready" or " he is a few years away from hitting MLB pitchers"....I call BS on that and I hate that thought process.....

I doubt that anyone here thinks Billy will come up here and hit .300.....all we need him to do is play above average defense which we all know he can do, then we need him to use his speed to get on base at a better clip than Drew Stubbs....which I dont think is that hard to do.....lets give Drew the chance he deserves right now, but come June 1 I say do it if Drew is the same ole Drew......if Billy comes up here and looks 100% lost then OK, send him back down for some seasoning, but I am not against a kid learning the game the hard way, these kids are paid a nice chunk for their services, I could care less about his mental makeup and his feelings about failing at this level....most fail, Billy will at least be able to bunt, take a walk, and play defense....which is 2 more things that Stubbs is doing right now.....

Billy H could come up here tomorrow and he would not look lost, he might not look good or as good as he will in 2 years, but he will make due and he will appear to be a MLB player......I agree that normal situations would keep him down there for another year or 2 but we are not in normal situatuons, we are trying to win now.....Billy might just be the spark that we need.

Sir Luke
04-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Well, only 10 of the 13 position players they have now are RH.

What's one more? You could platoon him with Bruce in RF.

I hope that's a bad joke on purpose.

swaisuc
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Has Hamilton even played the outfield in a minor league game yet? You guys are trying to stick him in Center?

SidneySlicker
04-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Let me say, I'm not a fan of Stubbs. That being said, he's not going to play as badly all season as he's started. He's never going to be a .300 hitter, but he's a 270 20hr guy. I'm for trading him, but you don't trade while the value is low. Let him warm up and then decide where you are at.

swaisuc
04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Let me say, I'm not a fan of Stubbs. That being said, he's not going to play as badly all season as he's started. He's never going to be a .300 hitter, but he's a 270 20hr guy. I'm for trading him, but you don't trade while the value is low. Let him warm up and then decide where you are at.

Stubbs was below .270 for his minor league career. He played great in 2010, let's give him that. As we stand today though, we have a dissappointing minor league career, a really good 2010 (still a .255 BA), and crap since. His track record doesn't convince me that he'll automatically bounce back from his bad start.

I do agree with you that he can't stay THIS bad all year. Pretty much nobody can.

jhu1321
04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I hear stuff like that all the time....."he is still a few years away from being MLB ready" or " he is a few years away from hitting MLB pitchers"....I call BS on that and I hate that thought process.....

I doubt that anyone here thinks Billy will come up here and hit .300.....all we need him to do is play above average defense which we all know he can do

Hamilton had 39 errors last year.

lidspinner
04-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Hamilton had 39 errors last year.

Errors or K's.....I guess we need to make a choice? I agree though that billy starting on the reds is a little over reacting, or a lot....me thinks my daughter could swing the bat on the 3rd strike from time to time.

Krawhitham
04-13-2012, 07:29 PM
If Billy Hamilton is not in the long term plans for the Reds (and he might not be, he plays SS & 2B two positions that seems locked down for a while) then bring him up now. Having a guy who can steal 2nd & 3rd late in a game as a pinch runner would win you a lot of games.

If he is in the long term plans then move him to the outfield or 3rd base (if he has the arm for either). Let him learn that position and then bring him up

malcontent
04-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Stubbs would be more productive if the Reds forced him to bunt in 50% or more of his PA.

Then bunting would "define his game", but in the mean-time, as someone here just noted, he's playing his way out of a career pretty quickly.

S.Wells
04-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Stubbs is the worst hitting CF in the game. A good glove and wheels but that's about it. Honestly I wonder if he'd hit better if he borrowed a pair of Sabo's goggles, as he must be blind. I say trade him for Carlos Lee. A power righty who can hit for average also to hit between Votto and Bruce. He could play left field Heisey in CF. Acquire amother LH bat and call Frazier up for Harris. Start stretching Chapman out to prepare him for the rotation once Masset returns. Oh and maybe go ahead and fire Dusty. My .02 on what the reds need to do.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2