PDA

View Full Version : Who should we try to get?

40YrRedsFan
04-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Eight games down, and our offense is MIA. There is no doubt we aren't going anywhere with the position players we are putting on the field. In my opinion, Stubbs, Ludwick, Heisey, Rolen, Mesoraco, Hanigan, Harris, Cairo, and Valdez are part time players at best. We have Votto, Phillips, Bruce as the only legitimate full time players. Cozart has started well, but he's had only about 50 major league at bats. Too early to tell how he will do over a longer period of time. Are there players out there we should target for attempted trades? Do we even have anything to trade?

Very Frustrated after a week and a half.

Mutaman
04-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Its too late now but we should have gone hard for Raul Ibanez who the Yankees signed for peanuts. A left handed hitting outfielder, he would have fit this team like a glove.

Sir Luke
04-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Only player you can swap with Stubbs with Heisey and that would mean Ludwick as a starter. Stubbs has too much speed and defense to sit to make way for Ludwick/ Heisey. So Heisey and Ludwick are part time players... Mescraco and Hanigan are part time players... Mescraco has tremendous upside and is developing. Cairo, Valdez, and Harris all are part timers too... Good part timers at that... And for Rolen, he was all star in 2010 and although he is aging provides another gold glover for our infield.
You have to be kidding me to say you believe we have 3 legit position players. This isn't fantasy baseball believe it or not. If you're such a big fan of "legitimate" players the NL all-star team is the club you should be rooting for.

40YrRedsFan
04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Do you think that any of the nine listed players would be a starter on another team? Maybe you see something I don't. I just don't see us contending with this group of players. They just aren't good enough. No offense to you.

joshua
04-14-2012, 01:30 AM
I would murder someone if it meant us getting rid of Stubbs and somehow getting Shane Victorino.

RedsfaninMT
04-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Eight games down, and our offense is MIA. There is no doubt we aren't going anywhere with the position players we are putting on the field. In my opinion, Stubbs, Ludwick, Heisey, Rolen, Mesoraco, Hanigan, Harris, Cairo, and Valdez are part time players at best. We have Votto, Phillips, Bruce as the only legitimate full time players. Cozart has started well, but he's had only about 50 major league at bats. Too early to tell how he will do over a longer period of time. Are there players out there we should target for attempted trades? Do we even have anything to trade?

Very Frustrated after a week and a half.

If Cozart hasn't had enough at bats, than how can you judge Mesoraco on his number of at bats? The entire team aside from Votto, Bruce and Cozart can't hit their way out of a wet paper bag right now. This is, however, pretty much the same lineup that scored runs in droves the last two years.

No offense, but it just seems goofy to judge the team on less than a dozen games.

On the other hand, Stubbs showed a precipitous decline last year and has done significantly worse this year. The one I can't figure out is Rolen. I know it was only spring training, but several buddies commented on how great he looked. The official season started and his bat disappeared. If he can't bounce back, it's trouble, because teams will continue to pitch around Votto.

Ownagedood
04-14-2012, 10:35 AM
It definitely hasn't been good thus far.. But it's also only been 8 games.. We are off to a slow start, but give it some time. This is a better team than last year and everyone knows it, yet we had a better record at this time last year. Slow starts happen, especially when one of your best players, Phillips, isn't playing. We will be alright.

texasdave
04-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Why do people keep saying this team is gonna be alright? I heard six months of this last year and how did that turn out? It is quite possible that these players aren't as good as we think they are. It is not uncommon for fans to have a higher-than-reality perception of the players they root for. Maybe 2010 was a fluke. I hope it is just a slow start but that certainly isn't etched in stone.

Assembly Hall
04-14-2012, 11:01 AM
The Reds competition thus far has been against teams that were expected to contend. Not only that, the pitching they have been facing has been pretty dang good. Are we struggling offensively? Yes. But it has only been 8 games. I am not ready to call it a season yet. I wonder what some of you would be saying if we had won these last two games and been sitting at 5-3?

texasdave
04-14-2012, 11:07 AM
x

Tuff Nut
04-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Stubbs, Bailey, and PTBNL to Boston for Ellsbury.....I know he is out 6-8 weeks, but we get another LH bat, and legit lead-off. :D

Cherokee
04-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Assembly,

Great point. I am frustrated but you are right, we arethisclose to being 5-3. I'm not ready to pack it in just yet!

we really need Bailey and Leake to have strong starts. Would be awesome to get out of DC at .500.

LeDoux
04-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes, it has only been 8 games. That is not enough time to provoke a drastic move; but it should be enough to make some changes with the resources you have right now- different starters, lineup changes, AAA options, etc. How many PAs do you give Willie Harris before you remember he is not a .700 OPS hitter facing lefties or righties? How many starts to you give Bailey when Chapman appears almost unhittable? If you are not going to pick up outside help this early, fine. But at least give some thought to other in-house options.

The Rage
04-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes, it has only been 8 games. That is not enough time to provoke a drastic move; but it should be enough to make some changes with the resources you have right now- different starters, lineup changes, AAA options, etc. How many PAs do you give Willie Harris before you remember he is not a .700 OPS hitter facing lefties or righties? How many starts to you give Bailey when Chapman appears almost unhittable? If you are not going to pick up outside help this early, fine. But at least give some thought to other in-house options.

Unhittable? In the pen, in the rotation, haha.

LaFlamaBlanca
04-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Assembly,

Great point. I am frustrated but you are right, we arethisclose to being 5-3. I'm not ready to pack it in just yet!

we really need Bailey and Leake to have strong starts. Would be awesome to get out of DC at .500.

Hate to be a negative nelly, but we are also this close to being 1-7 as well barring a few late rallies. I'd love to see anyone who is LH, can play the outfield, and can hit. Those are the only requirements.

Ironman92
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Matt Kemp

Rickey Henderson

LeDoux
04-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Unhittable? In the pen, in the rotation, haha.

This sentence makes no sense to me whatsoever.

joshua
04-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Stubbs, Bailey, and PTBNL to Boston for Ellsbury.....I know he is out 6-8 weeks, but we get another LH bat, and legit lead-off. :D

There's no way Boston would do this. if they would, I'd take them up on it in a second.

Ironman92
04-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Could've had him for less than that before last season....of course then Stubbs and Bailey had more value.

Ironman92
04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
They should go out and get Ramon Hernandez. He's hitting .345 with 2 HR and 6 RBI

Ironman92
04-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Josh Hamilton is a pretty good player....they should get him.

ol'Sparky
04-14-2012, 10:10 PM
someone who can come through in the clutch would be nice

Ironman92
04-14-2012, 10:50 PM
someone who can come through in the clutch would be nice

Ugh the Sean Casey thoughts

markymark69
04-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Trading for a guy who can't play for 6-8 weeks? That would go over real well with all the Redszone experts.

Ironman92
04-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Trading for a guy who can't play for 6-8 weeks? That would go over real well with all the Redszone experts.

Chapman start for Bailey.....give Heisey his 6-8 weeks of starts to really see what he is.