PDA

View Full Version : AROD, JR, 630, Barry and a Poll

jojo
04-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Alex Rodriguez stands tied with Ken Griffey Jr at 630 career home runs and AROD may very well pass Jr during this weekend series.

This is an interesting moment in baseball history for a lot of reasons. Two homegrown Mariners and former teammates stand together at a milestone that by anyone's definition is rarefied air. Can you imagine that lineup in the old Kingdome? It's interesting for Reds fans because Jr is about to be bumped to sixth all time by one of the few players that we might now reasonably imagine will bump Jr given the downturn in offensive production over recent years and Dunn's affair with the dreaded three outcome cliff. Jr's place in history seems much more defined as his greatness seems to be settling comfortably on "all time" lists and in the annals of Reds history. Then there is the obvious storyline with most believing Jr got 630 honest while AROD's 630 is a bloated product of an artificially potent offensive era. Don't hold your breath waiting for mlb to highlight that storyline though.

But looking ahead, there are just 4 names left in front of AROD and those names are three parts legendary fabric of the game's history and one part infamy-Willie (660), Babe (714), Hank (755), and Bonds (762). This is huge.

As of this moment, AROD is 133 homeruns short of the all time record. Assuming no injury issues, AROD has a very good shot at passing Mays this season. Then AROD still has 5 seasons left on his contract. AROD is clearly in decline but the calculus isn't incredibly daunting.

What do you think, are we watching history unfold concerning one of the most magical milestones in baseball or is AROD's tank springing a leak that won't let him make it to the finish line?

04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Don't care if he makes it. It will be as tainted as the Bonds record.

jojo
04-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Don't care if he makes it. It will be as tainted as the Bonds record.

I get the dismissive attitude-its probably shared by a great many fans-but this is history.

Could an argument be made that Aaron's place in baseball history becomes greater if AROD is able to topple Bonds?

04-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I get the dismissive attitude-its probably shared by a great many fans-but this is history.

Could an argument be made that Aaron's place in baseball history becomes greater if AROD is able to topple Bonds?

That's a good point. I never thought it about it that way.

KronoRed
04-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think he makes it, I think he'll play out those six years but he'll fall off a cliff power wise and become a very expensive backup.

hebroncougar
04-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't think he makes it. And, in my book, Hammerin' Hank is still the king.

brad1176
04-14-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't see AROD getting there. Aaron will always be the HR king IMO, Bonds will forever be an asterisk.

sonny
04-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't see AROD getting there. Aaron will always be the HR king IMO, Bonds will forever be an asterisk.

Until my son legitimately breaks it.

RedsBaron
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM
What do you think, are we watching history unfold concerning one of the most magical milestones in baseball or is AROD's tank springing a leak that won't let him make it to the finish line?

The magic is largely gone from several of baseball's former milestones as a result of the PEDS era. The pursuit of 61 HRs by Maris & Mantle in 1961 and the pursuit of 62 HRs by McGwire and Sosa in 1998 had much of the sports world transfixed, as did Aaron's pursuit of 714 career HRs in 1974. Barry Bonds pursuit and surpassing of both marks failed to inspire the same awe in most fans, because by then many people realized that in an important way the accompishments were tainted. Rodriguez may very well hit 763 HRs before he retires, but the magic will not be there.

Sea Ray
04-17-2012, 11:05 AM
It'd be best if Albert gets it eventually

MikeThierry
04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Injuries have taken away too many seasons, in my opinion, for him to make up that production. I just don't see him breaking that record. I don't even see someone like Pujols breaking that record.

RedFanAlways1966
04-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I hoep he does break it. For two reasons:

(1) Go jump in McCovey's Cove, Barry Bonds. JERK.
(2) Make the fools running MLB during the steroid era have more egg on their faces for KNOWINGLY allowing this crap. Same goes for the players union and those in charge of it.

God bless... Babe, Willie, Hank and Junior. :thumbup:

klw
04-17-2012, 05:47 PM
They are all just keeping the top spot warm for Paul Janish.

OldRightHander
04-17-2012, 06:14 PM
They are all just keeping the top spot warm for Paul Janish.

I was always holding out hope for Juan Castro, but we know how that turned out.