PDA

View Full Version : "We're going to hit our way out of this slump, not walk out of it" - Dusty Baker

Wonderful Monds
04-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Chris Welsh shared that quote in the post game today when asked if he thought the Reds would start taking more pitches to avoid having complete games thrown against them under 100 pitches again.

Might be time to bail on this team while Dusty is still here instead of getting too invested.

DocRed
04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/4/40/DustysDugoutDice.jpg

joshua
04-14-2012, 07:10 PM
He's clueless.

malcontent
04-14-2012, 07:18 PM
He's clueless.
Utterly.

And the Baker apologists on this forum, and they are apparently legion, have succumbed to his genius of lowering expectations.

Either there aren't better managerial options out there, or a manager can't throw the ball or swing the bat, or batting order doesn't matter....one excuse after another.

I imagne it's probably time to extend him for 5-6 years.

Todd Gack
04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Opponents hit .375 against Jackson last year on the first or second pitch. you think they read his scouting report?

Ironman92
04-14-2012, 07:50 PM

Love it!

Norm Chortleton
04-14-2012, 08:26 PM
I will agree with one thing Welsh said after the game. The Reds have so many players who can't make contact that they are scared to death to get to 2-strike counts. So they swing at everything and get themselves out.

DirtyBaker
04-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Of all teams, NL and AL, only Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have scored less runs.

Philadelphia has played one less game. Pittsburgh two less games.

Pathetic.

R_Webb18
04-14-2012, 08:34 PM
I will agree with one thing Welsh said after the game. The Reds have so many players who can't make contact that they are scared to death to get to 2-strike counts. So they swing at everything and get themselves out.

yea only 2 ppl that can battle

LeDoux
04-14-2012, 09:23 PM

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The dice are loaded. Every time I rolled, it would come up Willie Harris and Double Switch. I stopped playing after getting crushed by every member of the local tee-ball team.

malcontent
04-14-2012, 10:02 PM
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The dice are loaded. Every time I rolled, it would come up Willie Harris and Double Switch. I stopped playing after getting crushed by every member of the local tee-ball team.
That's pretty funny.

cinredsfan2000
04-14-2012, 10:35 PM

Dear god did i find that hilarious I was laughing so hard had tears streaming :laugh: The girlfriend didnt understand it .

markymark69
04-14-2012, 10:44 PM
I just hope he's right.

texasdave
04-14-2012, 11:00 PM
"We're going to hit our way out of this slump, not walk out of it" - Dusty Baker

Another Baseball HOF quote from our esteemed manager. Hell, at this point, I really don't care how they get on. Just get on and someone touch the plate. Lowest 9-game run total since 1901. That is saying something.
Cubbie pitchers better watch out. The team has to hit sometime. Right?

The DARK
04-15-2012, 01:11 AM
I don't like the strategy behind that quote. It defeats the purpose of leading off with Harris if he's going to swing freely rather than utilize his decent on-base skills. It could exacerbate the shortcomings of Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey. It could interfere with the development of Mesoraco and Cozart at the plate. It allows starters to pitch deep into games and keep a fresh bullpen. It's easily manipulated by opposing scouts and managers. All in all, it's not a particularly encouraging sign.

joshua
04-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Because it's a pretty crappy strategy. Especially in the age where clubs are putting a heavy value on OBP. This is exactly why the Nats are in a position where they have pretty much their entire bullpen available, including Stammen who has destroyed any Red he's faced (7 batters, 6 K's) and has been credited with 2 W's. I guarantee we see him again tomorrow in a situation where we are tied or down a run and need to rally.

Krawhitham
04-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Dusty does not understand they very basics of baseball hitting

The main goal (besides scoring runs) is to get the starter out of the game. Relief pitchers are relief pitches mainly because they are not good enough to be starters (very few exceptions) You take pitches and working his pitch total up, when his pitch count goes up he gets easier to hit and then you can either knock him out of the game or he leaves because he has too many pitches.

Some pitchers you can hit right away but many more you have to work the count and hope they make a mistake.

EMAW
04-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Proven fact, not made up like a lot on this board, that the teams with the higher slugg pct score more runs. On base is NOT nearly as important as slugging. Walks better than hits? Nonsense!!!

dubc47834
04-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Utterly.

And the Baker apologists on this forum, and they are apparently legion, have succumbed to his genius of lowering expectations.

Either there aren't better managerial options out there, or a manager can't throw the ball or swing the bat, or batting order doesn't matter....one excuse after another.

I imagne it's probably time to extend him for 5-6 years.

There are better options......batting order does matter.....but at some point it is on the players. Without looking at stats and judging based off observations, we have 1 guy I can think of on this team that is hitting consistantly...Cozart. Everyone else is sucking it up at this point. Votto hasn't been his normal self, Bruce has looked good at times but streaky. So now it's Dusty's fault that we cant even get more hits than the other team scores runs. All I hear is Frazier should be on this team, he isn't even doing that good down in AAA, he's hitting .188 and has an OPS of .525....sounds like the savior to me.

Yes this team has flaws, yes Dusty does some stupid stuff sometimes, yes Walt has made some questionable moves, but this slump is on the players to me. I see no fire in these guys right now. I'm hoping once BP comes back that this team picks it up. It just gets frustrating hearing the same people complain about the same thing.over and over and over.

:beerme: