PDA

View Full Version : Watching Aroldis pitch

Brutus
04-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Let me preface this by saying I understand the Reds' rationale for starting him in the bullpen this year. Until Nick Masset gets back into the pen, Chapman fills an important void. It's mutually beneficial as this allows Chapman to keep his innings down early in the year so they can stretch him out as a starter at the end of the year. I'd rather he pitch meaningful innings later than earlier.

That said, watching him pitch this year effortlessly makes me excited to see him in the rotation, finally. His command is beginning to match his stuff.

Fifteen strikeouts and no walks so far? Are you kidding me?

My best friend made a comparison today that I think is 100% on the money: Randy Johnson.

You watch Chapman's delivery and it comes across multiple planes and at a tough, 3/4 delivery like Johnson. Like the big unit, he comes at you with a fastball at nearly 100 and a devastating slider. Now, in his prime, Randy also had a changeup and could hit locations really well. However, while Chapman isn't 6-11, I think we're seeing his ceiling so far this year pitching out of the wind-up.

I don't want to get too literal in comparing him to R.J., but I see some of the same traits -- delivery, repertoire, etc. -- that Johnson possessed. Regardless, the important thing is, he's exciting to watch. I hope the Reds make the most of his talent going forward.

mattfeet
04-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Chapman looks exceptional this season. There's not much left to say other than he has simply been lights out.

wheels
04-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Randy Johnson's career didn't begin smoothly, either. That type of thunderbolt is a tough thing to harness.

Brutus
04-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Randy Johnson's career didn't begin smoothly, either. That type of thunderbolt is a tough thing to harness.

Very true. His first four full seasons in the bigs, he walked between 5-7 batters per nine innings.

wheels
04-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Very true. His first four full seasons in the bigs, he walked between 5-7 batters per nine innings.

He sure did, and was traded to the Mariners from the Expos. I remember thinking that if he could only control that fastball..... And did he ever.

I don't know if we can expect that level of success from Aroldis (and we can be fairly certain that he won't ever strike as much abject fear into the minds of hitters as Randy did), but it's going to be a great story regardless of outcome.

I really hope he finds his way into the rotation sooner rather than later. I think that having a "starter's mindset" has positively influenced his pitching style, and I'd like to see his efforts rewarded.

Simply put, he's bigger than his current role. He's a special player.

Kc61
04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
He sure did, and was traded to the Mariners from the Expos. I remember thinking that if he could only control that fastball..... And did he ever.

I don't know if we can expect that level of success from Aroldis (and we can be fairly certain that he won't ever strike as much abject fear into the minds of hitters as Randy did), but it's going to be a great story regardless of outcome.

I really hope he finds his way into the rotation sooner rather than later. I think that having a "starter's mindset" has positively influenced his pitching style, and I'd like to see his efforts rewarded.

Simply put, he's bigger than his current role. He's a special player.

I expect Chapman to stay in the pen for awhile. He's too important there to remove. He may be bigger than his current role, but right now his role is critical and I don't see an upcoming change. Even when Masset returns.

wheels
04-15-2012, 10:44 PM
I expect Chapman to stay in the pen for awhile. He's too important there to remove. He may be bigger than his current role, but right now his role is critical and I don't see an upcoming change. Even when Masset returns.

You're right, but the tea leaves are telling a different story. This kid has a destiny, and the bullpen is a mere speed bump.

I just hope the Reds are the ones that realize said destiny.

Degenerate39
04-15-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm really excited to see what he can do in the rotation every fifth day. We could possibly see some no-hitters or at least close calls to them

RedlegJake
04-16-2012, 02:17 AM
If the Reds are smart they'll keep Chapman throwing 2-3 inning stints from the pen for awhile yet, let him garner innings but keep him conservatively paced for the second half an then get him into the rotation. He's definitely earned his shot but they have to be smart about this - he has a definite limit this year on how many innings so right now it fine to have him in the pen so long as they use him in a multiple inning role and give him multiple days of rest - closer to a starter's schedule and easier to morph over when the opportunity arises.

puca
04-16-2012, 07:16 AM

This is what I expected all along. I don't see him cracking the rotation as long as he is the best reliever we have.

Of course if you had starters that could pitch 7-8 innings (granted we don't know Chapman can), you wouldn't need the pen so much

cumberlandreds
04-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Watching him in person this weekend I just wondered how good he could be starting. I just hope the Reds give him that chance before moves on.

Hoosier Red
04-16-2012, 10:23 AM
I know it's a small sample size and all, but I'm not sure he's not more effective in his current role. If we believe that innings are innings are innings, then he's currently 6th in innings pitched behind the 5 starters. If we believe that Latos and Cueto eventually return to generally average 7 innings per start, Essentially, if he pitches 4 innings every 5 games, he'd end the season with 130 IP, which isn't too far off what they'd want out of him as a starter. And instead of it being part of a random rotation, he could be utilized to provide between 1-3 IP in the most critical point of a game.

Brutus
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Last year, I never felt confident the Reds would move him into the rotation. This year, though, I see no evidence they'll keep him there. Everything they've done since March tells me this pitching out of the pen is a temporary move. Things they say, how they handle him, etc. That he's still pitching out of the wind-up at times tells me the goal is still to move him to the rotation.

If there are setbacks with Masset, maybe the plan will be altered a bit. Otherwise, I'll be surprised if he's not in the rotation sometime in May.