PDA

View Full Version : Sub .500 teams after 10 worse off then..

brm7675
04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Reds stand at 4-6 after the first 10 games. Of those 6 were at home, and 4 on the road. Combinded record of the 3 teams we have played is: 18 wins/12 losses. So whom else is under .500 after 10 and which is the most shocking?

Phillies: 4-5
Marlins: 4-6
Brewers: 4-6
Pirates: 3-6
Cubs: 3-7
Giants: 4-5
Rockies: 4-5
Padres: 2-8

40YrRedsFan
04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
If the Phillies had Utley and Howard playing, I would say they would be the most shocking.
Without those 2, they are probably a .500 club, despite their pitching. The other 2 teams on the list I wonder about are the Giants and Marlins. The Giants will have trouble scoring at times and Lincecum doesn't seem to have what he did 2 years ago. The Marlins may be improved over last year, but I don't think they are a playoff team. Pitching questions with them.

40YrRedsFan
04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
If the Phillies had Utley and Howard playing, I would say they would be the most shocking.
Without those 2, they are probably a .500 club, despite their pitching. The other 2 teams on the list I wonder about are the Giants and Marlins. The Giants will have trouble scoring at times and Lincecum doesn't seem to have what he did 2 years ago. The Marlins may be improved over last year, but I don't think they are a playoff team. Pitching questions with them.

The DARK
04-16-2012, 09:37 PM
None seem particularly shocking. A 4-6 record by any team out of the gate is perfectly reasonable, even if not desirable. Even us at this record isn't very shocking; we were missing our 2nd best batter and had one of the league's toughest opening schedules. The Phillies are missing a lot of pieces, and the rest of the league has caught up in terms of starting pitching. I suppose I expected the Brewers to be doing better; a lot of their starters have started off badly.

joshua
04-17-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm not so much worried about the record as I am how horrible the approach of 2/3 of our lineup at the plate. I'm tired of these 9th inning heart attack games.

lidspinner
04-17-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm not so much worried about the record as I am how horrible the approach of 2/3 of our lineup at the plate. I'm tired of these 9th inning heart attack games.

I have to concur here....I am not the least bit worried about our win/loss record right now....it is what it is and it will be what it will be.....I have always looked at a season, and this is not the gospel by no means, but its a common theory.....teams will easily win 60 games, get beat easily 60 games.....its how you play those 42 close 1-2 run ball games is what makes you the playoff team or the cellar dweller team.....and right now we are not winning those close games like I want us to, at least it seems that way, stats may not always prove that to be correct as we just won a 1 run game Sunday......

my biggest issue with the Reds right now is our approach the games.....we are in a slump right now and we very well could sweep the Cards and come out of the slump this week, but the approach that our team is taking is killing me....I cant stand seeing opposing pitchers throwing so few pitches, I cant stand seeing opposing pitchers throw curve balls in the dirt and our guys swing as if its a fastball.....those are approach issues, when Drew Stubbs swings and misses a fastball it is because he just cant catch up and he is just a strike out waiting to happen....but when Drew Stubbs or Rolen or Jay Bruce swing at a curve in the dirt and miss it by a foot, then they are either not seeing the ball or are not approaching the at bat like they should.....when Dusty wont put his best pitcher in the game (chapman) in the most crucial part of the game when you need him the most cause he is trying to save him, only to run him out there an inning later is an approach problem.....Batting Rolen 4th is a approach problem....Approching the game as if Scotty will work his way out of his slump is not going to help this team....Joey needs protecting and its like Dusty could care less.....Scott can help this team in so many ways and batting cleanup has not been one of those ways in 2 years....

THis team can play great ball together as a team with Drew Stubbs and Scott Rolen playing everyday....I am not worried about that at all.....but at some point you need to put those 2 in the best chance for them to do well....Force Drew to bunt by giving him the bunt sign.....force Rolen to play defense only and bat him in the 8 spot and not worry about driving in runs and protecting Joey.....Bring Chapman in after the 6th inning when its the most crucial, regardless if its the 7th innings or the 8th inning......or the 11th.....even if its for 1 batter, or 3 innings..he can do it and he is the hot hand right now.....

our team is not approaching each game in a win at all costs attitude....like I said earlier, that can all change in 1 night...Baseball is a silly game that makes you scratch your head....we are only 2 weeks in the season, but this team for sure needs to change the way we go about playing each and every game and it starts with Dusty.....that is what I am the most concerned with...

texasdave
04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
...as we just won a 1 run game Sunday....

The Reds, like all great teams before them, won that 1-run game by 3 runs. :)

But it did go extra innings and I do see your point.

redssince75
04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I have to concur here....I am not the least bit worried about our win/loss record right now....it is what it is and it will be what it will be.....I have always looked at a season, and this is not the gospel by no means, but its a common theory.....teams will easily win 60 games, get beat easily 60 games.....its how you play those 42 close 1-2 run ball games is what makes you the playoff team or the cellar dweller team.....and right now we are not winning those close games like I want us to, at least it seems that way, stats may not always prove that to be correct as we just won a 1 run game Sunday......

my biggest issue with the Reds right now is our approach the games.....we are in a slump right now and we very well could sweep the Cards and come out of the slump this week, but the approach that our team is taking is killing me....I cant stand seeing opposing pitchers throwing so few pitches, I cant stand seeing opposing pitchers throw curve balls in the dirt and our guys swing as if its a fastball.....those are approach issues, when Drew Stubbs swings and misses a fastball it is because he just cant catch up and he is just a strike out waiting to happen....but when Drew Stubbs or Rolen or Jay Bruce swing at a curve in the dirt and miss it by a foot, then they are either not seeing the ball or are not approaching the at bat like they should.....when Dusty wont put his best pitcher in the game (chapman) in the most crucial part of the game when you need him the most cause he is trying to save him, only to run him out there an inning later is an approach problem.....Batting Rolen 4th is a approach problem....Approching the game as if Scotty will work his way out of his slump is not going to help this team....Joey needs protecting and its like Dusty could care less.....Scott can help this team in so many ways and batting cleanup has not been one of those ways in 2 years....

THis team can play great ball together as a team with Drew Stubbs and Scott Rolen playing everyday....I am not worried about that at all.....but at some point you need to put those 2 in the best chance for them to do well....Force Drew to bunt by giving him the bunt sign.....force Rolen to play defense only and bat him in the 8 spot and not worry about driving in runs and protecting Joey.....Bring Chapman in after the 6th inning when its the most crucial, regardless if its the 7th innings or the 8th inning......or the 11th.....even if its for 1 batter, or 3 innings..he can do it and he is the hot hand right now.....

our team is not approaching each game in a win at all costs attitude....like I said earlier, that can all change in 1 night...Baseball is a silly game that makes you scratch your head....we are only 2 weeks in the season, but this team for sure needs to change the way we go about playing each and every game and it starts with Dusty.....that is what I am the most concerned with...

Good post and good points, but you should know that your computer has some kind of technical issue, it puts four periods at the end of every sentence, instead of one.

chuck6660
04-18-2012, 12:56 AM
the reds are now 4-7 and have lost another 1 run, extra inning game. I'm concerned that this is becoming a trend and this team is falling into a groove, almost expecting to lose close games in the late innings...losing can become contagious. I guess Dusty was saving Chapman and Marshall for the later innings.:confused:

joshua
04-18-2012, 02:54 AM

You summed it all up. Dusty is simply not putting this lineup together in a way that can't isn't going to win consistently. Rolen has been struggling since the All-Star Break in 2010. Batting him fourth is a massive mistake. Nobody is afraid to pitch to him and haven't been for years. And add that together with him trying to do too much and it leads to disaster. If he were batting 7th or 8th he could focus on making contact, keeping innings alive and hoping to flip the order to the top of the lineup. If Dusty is dead set on sticking a righty in the 4 spot, then Ludwick, Hanigan or Mesoraco are all better bets. Hell, let Cozart lead off and put Phillips in the four hole and put one of those three righties behind him. There's ways to hide the holes in the lineup, and it doesn't involve putting them in the fourth sport.

After doing a google search a few days ago and looking back on what Giants and Cubs fans have written about Dusty, they all have the same complaints: Line ups are atrocious, he continues playing guys while they're in huge slumps and destroying their confidence. He won't sit veterans, no matter how horribly they're doing and rarely uses younger players effectively. It's so frustrating to watch. Let Rolen sit for 3 games and have Frazier take over third. I highly doubt he could go up there and do worse.