PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 4/17

chicoruiz
04-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Reds:

Tom Runnells (57)- Batted .174 with no homers or RBIs for the Reds. He was a successful minor league manager, but when he got his chance in the bigs with Montreal he made a couple of bad decisions right out of the box and he lost the team.

Jake Daubert -First baseman on the 1919 world champions. A fine player who comes up just short of HOF consideration. Holds the NL career record for sacrifice hits.

Others:

Marquis Grissom (45) -Set a record by hitting safely in 15 straight World Series games. Supposedly a very class act.

Solly Hemus -Another in the series of "scrappy" middle infielders; "scrappy" being a code word for "not very good but gets in a bunch of fights to show what a hard-nosed character he is". This type of player appears to be dying out, which is OK by me. Solly's brief term as manager of the Cards was notable for his telling Bob Gibson and Curt Flood that they didn't have what it took to play in the majors.

Jersey Bakley -The first player to hit 100 career homers was Harry Stovey; Bakley gave up #100. I doubt that he knew it at the time; nobody paid as much attention to those kind of things as they do now.

Cap Anson -One of the defining figures of early baseball. The Bill James Historical Abstract covers him so thoroughly that anything I write about him would be redundant.

Bob Borkowski
04-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Solly Hemus -Another in the series of "scrappy" middle infielders; "scrappy" being a code word for "not very good but gets in a bunch of fights to show what a hard-nosed character he is". This type of player appears to be dying out, which is OK by me. Solly's brief term as manager of the Cards was notable for his telling Bob Gibson and Curt Flood that they didn't have what it took to play in the majors.

Hemus was an Eddie Stanky wannabe.