PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujols almost a Red?

OldRed1966
04-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Albert Pujols almost a Cincinnati Red

It sounds crazy, but ESPNís Steve Berthiaume said that slugger Albert Pujols was close to being a Red before he signed with the Angels. Berthiaume mentioned this on a podcast with Grantland.comís Jonah Keri when talking about the Reds. Here is the quoteÖ
ďI think, think they (the Reds) were a lot closer to getting Albert Pujols than anybody knows or anybody talked about. I think the Votto money was targeted for Pujols in the off-season and when that didnít pan out that they said, OK, letís keep our guy, letís give it to Joey Votto. I think those two were more connected than anyone realizes.Ē
This is the first most are hearing that it was even possible. You can also listen to it yourself right here. He makes the comments at around the 24 minute mark.

Albert Pujols almost a Cincinnati Red? | Cincinnati Reds

Assembly Hall
04-17-2012, 08:43 PM
If that is the case, then I am glad it didnt happen.

texasdave
04-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I do not believe it.

BluegrassRedleg
04-18-2012, 12:09 AM
The club is already being questioned for the sanity of Votto's deal. Could you imagine had they given that money to someone several years older???

Not buying that one.

10xWSChamps
04-18-2012, 04:10 AM
The club is already being questioned for the sanity of Votto's deal. Could you imagine had they given that money to someone several years older???

Not buying that one.

Keep in mind that both Pujols and Votto will be 41 when their contracts expire, Joey got a 12 year contract that's worth more overall then Albert's.

However I do see Joey aging better then Albert in the middle part of their contracts. But regardless, Joey and his contract will become an albatross for numerous years at the end there... kind of unavoidable. Oh well, you guys have a lot of years to enjoy great baseball from Joey. Just gotta ignore the last 4-5 years of that contract for now.

The Cardinals probably got the best $-for-performance ever with Albert. THat would have changed drastically, for the worse, if we had re-signed him. I have to admit, I'm going to enjoy watching the fallout in LA in about 5 years when Albert and his contract start to be a bitter talking point. The guy is sooooooo touchy about bad press and is already starting to become a bit injury prone. It will be satisfying schadenfreude!

Old NDN
04-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Albert Pujols almost a Cincinnati Red

It sounds crazy, but ESPNís Steve Berthiaume said that slugger Albert Pujols was close to being a Red before he signed with the Angels. Berthiaume mentioned this on a podcast with Grantland.comís Jonah Keri when talking about the Reds. Here is the quoteÖ
ďI think, think they (the Reds) were a lot closer to getting Albert Pujols than anybody knows or anybody talked about. I think the Votto money was targeted for Pujols in the off-season and when that didnít pan out that they said, OK, letís keep our guy, letís give it to Joey Votto. I think those two were more connected than anyone realizes.Ē
This is the first most are hearing that it was even possible. You can also listen to it yourself right here. He makes the comments at around the 24 minute mark.

Albert Pujols almost a Cincinnati Red? | Cincinnati Reds

Yeah, and I almost won the lottery.

Krawhitham
04-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Keep in mind that both Pujols and Votto will be 41 when their contracts expire, Joey got a 12 year contract that's worth more overall then Albert's.

If you believe Pujols' age is what he claims

Krawhitham
04-18-2012, 01:27 PM
But regardless, Joey and his contract will become an albatross for numerous years at the end there... kind of unavoidable.

No No No

By the end of Votto's contract 20 million will be the average salary for MLB players

At least it seams like it is going that way

Sir Luke
04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
If Pujols was almost a Red then BP was almost a Card...

Magdal
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
If you believe Pujols' age is what he claimsI don't believe it for a Cincy second. How naive can these owners be? The Dominican age scam is WELL documented and when he came up at "20 yrs old" he looked 25 and played 25.

Now the guy is playing like an old 35. Letting him walk was the best thing the Card FO did since the Lou Brock trade.