PDA

View Full Version : Aftermath of tonight's loss...

OGB
04-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Am I being ridiculous, or should they have at least tried to appeal to third base? That ball wasn't hit deep, and with Bruce's arm strength, I couldn't believe how not close that play was.
either way, another lousy effort and a slew of blown oppurtunities from our Redlegs.

Jr's Boy
04-17-2012, 11:42 PM
It doesn't matter at this juncture.This whole coaching staff should be ashamed of themselves.

joshua
04-17-2012, 11:51 PM
ONE walk all night. Ten K's.

EMAW
04-17-2012, 11:51 PM
It doesn't matter at this juncture.This whole coaching staff should be ashamed of themselves.

THE FRONT OFFICE need to be held accountable for this 25 man roster

GoReds19
04-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Agreed and the whole offense too. Made Kyle Lohse looke like Greg Maddux out there.

chuck6660
04-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Perhaps Kyle Lohse is this years Verlander?:beerme:

bcmachine
04-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Perhaps Kyle Lohse is this years Verlander?:beerme:

It must be said, he is a good pitcher. But not THAT good.

redram
04-18-2012, 12:46 AM
And I was so happy :( when Bray came into the game to seal the deal. Chapman in the BP and Dusty uses Bray not once but twice with the game either tied or us up one and he does what he does best Blows it. Oh but wait he is still in his Spring Training mode. Maybe Dusty is to. The Cards tried their best to give us the game yet we can't do anything right yet again. Way to bunt em over Phillips go tweet about it now. That was a selfish AB IMO he never really tried to get the bunt down. This team needs a manager that will shake things up and not try to be all the players father. Dusty is great guy, just not a very good manager anymore. Ok done venting now on to Wed and hope we can start hitting.

malcontent
04-18-2012, 04:46 AM
ONE walk all night. Ten K's.
"We're not going to walk our way out of this slump".

---Toothpick the Sage

malcontent
04-18-2012, 05:08 AM
It's time to face reality, boys and girls.

Baker has to go.

I know how much some of you love him.

But it really is time.

RedsBrick
04-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Am I being ridiculous, or should they have at least tried to appeal to third base? That ball wasn't hit deep, and with Bruce's arm strength, I couldn't believe how not close that play was.
either way, another lousy effort and a slew of blown oppurtunities from our Redlegs.

I saw it a little differently on the sac fly to win the game. Mesaraco did a great job of blocking the plate....if he holds on to the ball that runner's out.

I completely agree there were a slew of blown opportunities!

DocRed
04-18-2012, 07:53 AM
The whole coaching staff should be tested for chicken and beer.

dubc47834
04-18-2012, 08:03 AM
It gets very old hearing the same people complain and moan and Dusty Baker. I know this has been said before, but he doesn't hit, pitch, or play defense. He puts the players out there, and they aren't performing. They can't even do what he wants them to do, whether it is bad strategy or not, they aren't performing. Aren't we all Reds fans? I can understand some complaining, but Dusty farts wrong and it "fire Dusty". I left the ESPN boards because of this crap!!!

Rijo's Ghost
04-18-2012, 08:05 AM

Tyler Greene can fly. 144 SB to 22 CS in his MiLB career and 16-0 in MLB. It would have been bang bang if he'd tried to hook slide and allowed Mes to catch it cleanly.

Jefferson24
04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
I saw it a little differently on the sac fly to win the game. Mesaraco did a great job of blocking the plate....if he holds on to the ball that runner's out.

I completely agree there were a slew of blown opportunities!

I looked at the replay again. The throw was behind the runner. The runner is just past the catcher when the throw gets to him. If the ball is caught he is still safe. Mesaraco tried to catch the ball in the fair side of the plate and the runner slide right in behind him on the foul side.

The problem with this game as well as many others is we aren't taking advantage of scoring opportunities, it's just that simple. I'm sure they will start hitting sooner or later but by then in may be too late. It's sure possible to lose the division title in April and May.

texasdave
04-18-2012, 09:00 AM
It gets very old hearing the same people complain and moan and Dusty Baker. I know this has been said before, but he doesn't hit, pitch, or play defense. He puts the players out there, and they aren't performing. They can't even do what he wants them to do, whether it is bad strategy or not, they aren't performing. Aren't we all Reds fans? I can understand some complaining, but Dusty farts wrong and it "fire Dusty". I left the ESPN boards because of this crap!!!

Like it or not the manager is responsible for getting the players to play. It has been said many times it is easier to fire one than to fire 25.

faffy42
04-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Actually if bases were loaded....why isn't mes standing up with one foot on bag and stretching out to catch the ball as a first basemen would?

jhu1321
04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Actually if bases were loaded....why isn't mes standing up with one foot on bag and stretching out to catch the ball as a first basemen would?

No force out on sacrifice fly.

Moosie52
04-18-2012, 09:47 AM

Who Dey? I haven't noticed much love for Dusty around here.

dubc47834
04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Like it or not the manager is responsible for getting the players to play. It has been said many times it is easier to fire one than to fire 25.

I know what you're saying, and it's true. But, at what point is it on the players also. I know at some point it becomes a job for these guys, but when I go to the park to play ball, I'm fired up. I'm more of a blame the players guy, but I am starting to lean toward making a change with the manager. Not because I have a problem with the way he manages, but with the way the players show a lack of desire to play hard and he hasn't been able to get them to play hard. I just don't see the need to always complain about stuff. I have said it before and will again, If some of these people on here complain to their friends and family as much as they do on here, I feel for them. I try to be an optimist, but its hard on here with all the negativity!!!!

:beerme:

dubc47834
04-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Do you know the rules?

faffy42
04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
No force out on sacrifice fly.

Oh duh...sorry. brain cramp. And I played 4 yrs of hs ball lol

smixsell
04-18-2012, 10:26 AM

But he DOES bat his weakest hitter in the number 4 slot for most of the last 162 games (Gomes and Rolen). THAT gets very old to people who have a shred of common sense. Apparently Crusty has confused the #4 and #8 spot in the order,

dubc47834
04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
But he DOES bat his weakest hitter in the number 4 slot for most of the last 162 games (Gomes and Rolen). THAT gets very old to people who have a shred of common sense. Apparently Crusty has confused the #4 and #8 spot in the order,

My problem is Dusty could manage a perfect game and people would still nitpick!!!

texasdave
04-18-2012, 10:35 AM
My problem is Dusty could manage a perfect game and people would still nitpick!!!

Well you will never find out the answer to that one. Trust me. :laugh:

bigredmechanism
04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Do you know the rules?

Ease up, it's an easy mistake.

dubc47834
04-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Ease up, it's an easy mistake.

Yeah....it was a brian fart on his part....my bad!!!! Wasn't tryin to be a hard a$$.

RedsBrick
04-18-2012, 12:49 PM
I looked at the replay again. The throw was behind the runner. The runner is just past the catcher when the throw gets to him. If the ball is caught he is still safe. Mesaraco tried to catch the ball in the fair side of the plate and the runner slide right in behind him on the foul side.

The problem with this game as well as many others is we aren't taking advantage of scoring opportunities, it's just that simple. I'm sure they will start hitting sooner or later but by then in may be too late. It's sure possible to lose the division title in April and May.

The runner has to reach over Mes' leg to touch the plate and he doesn't do so until the ball squirts by.

bounty37h
04-18-2012, 12:57 PM
I didnt see the play last night to know circumstances, but Hanny couldnt hang on to 2 throws coming in from the outfield the other night either. 3 runs, including a game winner, on dropped balls at the plate.

brm7675
04-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Baker has to go.

But it really is time.

Only problem is the 1 person whose view matters (Bob) doesn't feel that way and in fact may want to renew his deal soon...

brm7675
04-18-2012, 01:01 PM

Who called for the hit and run in the 10th?
Who choses whom pinch hits?
Who choses what BP pitchers are used and when?
Who choses the daily lineup?
Who has a say in the overall 24 man roster?
Who has a key say in whom goes on the DL?

True there is accountability by the players, but in the end the buck stops with the manager/gm.

malcontent
04-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Who Dey? I haven't noticed much love for Dusty around here.
I'd prefer not to name names.

malcontent
04-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Only problem is the 1 person whose view matters (Bob) doesn't feel that way and in fact may want to renew his deal soon...
Sadly true.

But then, it's only his money.

Maybe when they're in 3rd place, 15 games out in August, and drawing crowds of 8-10 thousand he'll rethink the extension.

redssince75
04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
I didnt see the play last night to know circumstances, but Hanny couldnt hang on to 2 throws coming in from the outfield the other night either. 3 runs, including a game winner, on dropped balls at the plate.

Well now it's sounding like a mitt issue. And I don't mean Romney.

malcontent
04-18-2012, 01:15 PM
What I'd like to hear from his defenders is how the man can have any credibility when he flatly states "We're not going to walk our way out of this slump"?

What message can that possibly send to the players?

And, oh yeah, in extra innings last night the Reds basically got beat by three walks. And the other night by two walks.

OGB
04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
What I'd like to hear from his defenders is how the man can have any credibility when he flatly states "We're not going to walk our way out of this slump"?

What message can that possibly send to the players?

And, oh yeah, in extra innings last night the Reds basically got beat by three walks. And the other night by two walks.

I agree, it reminds me if some of the things Marvin Lewis has said over the years. It's really offensive as a knowledgable baseball fan when the manager/coach thinks their fan base is ignorant/not invested in the team.

That statement is so absurd it makes me angry just thinking about it; particularly since this team's failure in the 2010 playoffs and 2011 season stemmed from an inability to get on base consistently and a propensity for striking out.

dubc47834
04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I agree, it reminds me if some of the things Marvin Lewis has said over the years. It's really offensive as a knowledgable baseball fan when the manager/coach thinks their fan base is ignorant/not invested in the team.

That statement is so absurd it makes me angry just thinking about it; particularly since this team's failure in the 2010 playoffs and 2011 season stemmed from an inability to get on base consistently and a propensity for striking out.

Show us a link to where Dusty said he doesn't think that the fanbase is ignorant or not invested in the team. If you can do that, I will most definately start calling for the firing of Dusty. (Not that I have a say)

The failure of the 2010 playoffs was because we ran into a buzzsaw of a team in the Phillies. It didn't matter, we weren't winning that series. It would been nice to win a game. The offense that year was one of the best in the league. The Phillies throwing that starting rotation out there was a killer. Dusty didn't lose that series, the Phillies just smoked us because they were that much better.

smixsell
04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Who called for the hit and run in the 10th?True there is accountability by the players, but in the end the buck stops with the manager/gm.

That's where I stopped watching, I couldn't bear to watch after that INSANE decision. (MOTT had blown the ball by BP twice earlier in the AB, you have a catcher running, and you have a guy with an A++ arm behind the plate) That call was "ANTI-managing," it was "sabotaging."

texasdave
04-18-2012, 04:59 PM
It makes you wonder if Joey Votto is going to have to run to try to stay out of the double play if that same situation arises again tonight. Let's hope it doesn't. Reds should just slap Garcia around for five in the first and be done with it.

redssince75
04-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Show us a link to where Dusty said he doesn't think that the fanbase is ignorant or not invested in the team. If you can do that, I will most definately start calling for the firing of Dusty.

Huh?

No one ever said Dusty actually SAID that (and no manager ever would), just that he acts like it.

malcontent
04-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Can we make this thread a sticky?

Ironman92
04-19-2012, 06:00 AM
2010 playoffs

3 game total: 11 hits/7 errors

Then the Giants take down the Phillies in 6 with pitching and good PA's

bigredmechanism
04-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Yeah....it was a brian fart on his part....my bad!!!! Wasn't tryin to be a hard a$$.

Magdal
04-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Baker has to go.

But it really is time.My friend, it is way past time. This team is JUST NOT playing good baseball even tho' the talent is there. Even if the replacement manager is no better than Dusty, the very fact of the change would alter the teams attitude/performance.

The Reds have nothing to lose, and they need to do it NOW, while there is still plenty of time to get in the race.

dubc47834
04-19-2012, 07:35 AM
The poster did say he thinks that way, and that it was offensive to him as a knowledgeable baseball fan. I just think it's an idiotic opinion. Dusty Baker is stubborn in his ways and with the way this team is playing probly needs to go to stir things up, but to think that he feels the fanbase is ignorant/not invested in this team is just plain crazy in my opinion.

dubc47834
04-19-2012, 07:37 AM
My friend, it is way past time. This team is JUST NOT playing good baseball even tho' the talent is there. Even if the replacement manager is no better than Dusty, the very fact of the change would alter the teams attitude/performance.

The Reds have nothing to lose, and they need to do it NOW, while there is still plenty of time to get in the race.

As much as I hate to say it....your probly right. I have been on Dusty's side and feel this is on the players, but if the manager can't get them to play with heart and desire, then he should go. I hate to see any man get fired.

Magdal
04-19-2012, 07:52 AM
As much as I hate to say it....your probly right. I have been on Dusty's side and feel this is on the players, but if the manager can't get them to play with heart and desire, then he should go. I hate to see any man get fired.Well, yes...but judging by the past, Dusty's phone will start ringing off the hook the minute he is available!

malcontent
04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
2010 playoffs

3 game total: 11 hits/7 errors

Then the Giants take down the Phillies in 6 with pitching and good PA's
Excellent point.

malcontent
04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
My friend, it is way past time. This team is JUST NOT playing good baseball even tho' the talent is there. Even if the replacement manager is no better than Dusty, the very fact of the change would alter the teams attitude/performance.

Agreed.