PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 4/20

chicoruiz
04-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Reds:

Scott Winchester (39) -A Red from '97 to '01; his career never really got any traction.

Mike O'Berry (58) -Much-traveled backup catcher; the Reds were the only team he spent more than one year with. Later managed in the minors, then became a highly-successful high school coach.

Milt Wilcox (62) -Started his career in 1970 with the Reds, eventually landed in Detroit where he became an effective starter, Currently owns Ultimate Air Dogs, specializing in those dogs that jump off the ends of docks for long distances on cable TV.

Others:

Don Mattingly (51) -Donnie Baseball hit six grand slams in 1987, setting a record he now shares with Travis Hafner. Oddly, they were the only grand slams of his career.

Harry Agganis - "The Golden Greek"- Boston University's first All-American football player. Paul Brown drafted him in the first round to replace Otto Graham, but he chose instead to sign with the hometown Red Sox as a first baseman. In only his second major league season, he contracted pneumonia, developed a pulmonary embolism and died. His memory is still honored in a number of ways in Boston.

Dave Bancroft -He was a HOF shortstop, but I couldn't really find any details about him that I thought were interesting enough to include. I always get him confused with Dick Bartell, and I'm not the only one...

04-20-2012, 10:06 AM
It's not their birthdays, but I have a feeling Bronson Arroyo and Mike Leake will be celebrating today ;)

Bob Borkowski
04-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Dave Bancroft I always get him confused with Dick Bartell, and I'm not the only one...

Why do you get them confused, chico? :confused: