04-20-2012, 07:21 PM
:) the kid has it IMO

RANDY IN INDY
04-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Really like what I'm seeing.

lollipopcurve
04-20-2012, 07:24 PM
yep -- like him a lot

His gallop to first is classic. I remember it all the way back to his scouting video out of Punxatawny High. The kid's an oldschool catcher.

dougdirt
04-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Always been a fan. He is good across the board and very good at some of the things.

Tom Servo
04-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Definitely liking what I see. I think he and Hanigan will make for a very effective duo this year.

The Voice of IH
04-20-2012, 07:28 PM
my generations Johnny Bench for sure.

REDblooded
04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Great player, and a class act.

jojo
04-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I think he is good.

HokieRed
04-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I've liked him since we drafted him, thought he was too much criticized way back when he was at Dayton. Looks like another position is getting some stability going forward for a while, which I really like.

Tommyjohn25
04-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I love that he plays with that intangible "edge" to him. I know that is not recognized by everyone here as a critical attribute, but I love to see it nonetheless.

klw
04-20-2012, 09:48 PM
my generations Johnny Bench for sure.

NO pressure there :D I was hoping for this generation's Bill Plummer.

westofyou
04-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Fast reflexes .... A catchers best tool not above his shoulders

camisadelgolf
04-20-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't like him as a receiver. Otherwise, he's everything I'd want in a catcher.

REDblooded
04-20-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't like him as a receiver. Otherwise, he's everything I'd want in a catcher.

Still way too early for that isn't it? He seems to be a bit tentative to take control, which is to be expected from a rookie that doesn't want to step on toes too early.

RedsManRick
04-20-2012, 11:18 PM
I like the bat, but I'm not convinced about the glove. Seems like his pitchers don't get the benefit of the doubt like they do with Hanigan back there and he seems to have some trouble hanging on to stuff that's low. But I'm certainly no scout.

RedlegJake
04-20-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm being won over - I've always liked his bat but his glove skills behind the plate worried me - still do some but not nearly as much as they did a year ago. I like what I see because he seems to have the same intangible Cozart has to me - he learns, he adjusts, something isn't working he fixes it and isn't too stubborn about "its the way I've always done it".

REDblooded
04-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Brief, "ya sure that's cool and all" story on Mes...

2 seasons ago I went to a Louisville vs. Bats series in Indy. My main hope was to get an auto from Aroldis. I wore my Reds jersey for 2 of the 3 games I attended.

In one, Aroldis came out of the stadium, signed 5-10 quick auto's (mostly for dips wearing Cubs uni's or holding binders full of cards) and made a quick exit. I missed him signing and slowly/respectfully chased after him with my wife. I was the only person trailing him by 100+ feet when he stopped to sign for 2 girls. He was on the phone, so I didn't shout at him or do anything to disturb him. I simply waved at him (5 or less feet away) and motioned towards my ball... He gave me a stiff-armed "no-no" that was reminiscent of Adrian Peterson and walked away...

I walked back to the area where players were coming out of the stadium and out waked Mes... His family from PA was 25-30 feet away waiting patiently. He took the time to sign for everybody there. Even asked me where I wanted him to sign the ball, and if I wanted him to sign it on the sweet spot. I replied, "Mes, I don't care. This will never leave my Reds collection, so sign it where you want." He signed the sweet spot, and added his number next to it. Today it sits next to a Miguel Cabrera /25 auto'd ball from the 2004 All-Star game.

Again. The guy is a class act. He cares about you and I as fans, and he's willing to miss rare road time with his family to reflect it.

I wish the guy nothing but the best, and after seeing how he adapted and overcame the early adversity in his career, have no doubt he will adjust and minimize any and every flaw that people can find in his game.

He's a total pro.

George Anderson
04-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Mesoraco spelled backwards is Ocarosem.

Caveat Emperor
04-21-2012, 04:10 AM
Would like to see him flash some more of the power he was showing in the minors.

Otherwise, hard to complain about his start. Kid is only 23 -- I'm hoping the issues as a receiver sort themselves out as he gets more comfortable with the staff and being at the bigs.

Vottomatic
04-21-2012, 04:32 AM
I can't question his heart, work ethic, and desire to be better. And he's shown flashes already. I give him a thumbs up. Quality catchers are hard to come by.

Pittsburgh is similar to Ohio. People from that area have a blue collar work ethic. Impressive.

Topcat
04-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Always been a fan. He is good across the board and very good at some of the things.

I agree Dirt but when first drafted you and I both did not like the pick we accepted it and rationalized it but it was a true reach because of sign-ability.

mth123
04-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Some thoughts on Mes:

1. I imgine that if Mes continues to hit 8th, he'll get a lot of walks. Its good that he takes them, but his OBP may be a little inflated and perhaps we should temper expectations for when he eventually moves up in the order. I'd sure like to see him in the 6 hole behind a Votto, Ludwick, Bruce 3, 4, 5.

2. His defense will improve as he becomes more familiar with the league, the hitters, the umpires and his own staff. He's already at least as good as Ramon back there, but should get a lot better. I'm content with him splitting time with Hanigan for a year while he learns, but I hope he gets at least 50% of the starts. As the season goes on, I hope his share increases. It looks like Arroyo will throw to Hanigan, but Mes caught Bailey yesterday and is scheduled to catch Leake today. I know he's caught Latos, so its hard to get a feel for how the split will go. Perhaps Hanigan will begin catching Latos. Some one observed that Latos wasn't shaking the catcher off much. Maybe they'll pair him with Hanigan to see if it helps him get going.

klw
04-21-2012, 09:31 AM
I have only seen him in a couple of games this year so far but I have been impressed with how he blocks the plate.

dfs
04-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I wish the guy nothing but the best, and after seeing how he adapted and overcame the early adversity in his career, have no doubt he will adjust and minimize any and every flaw that people can find in his game.

He's a total pro.

This. It's not a quick road, but between Votto and Mesoraco, I want the reds to draft and develop high school talent every dang year.

powersackers
04-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Loved his tech talk with Chris Welsh. He is obviously a smart player that knows technique and how to share that knowledge.

Edd Roush
04-21-2012, 01:56 PM
I have been a Devin Mesoraco fan for a long time. I am glad he is contributing to the major league team this year. Oh, how far we have come since we called him "Thumbs" in the Minor League Forum and there was a multi-page thread about how he was a bust.

fearofpopvol1
04-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Some thoughts on Mes:

1. I imgine that if Mes continues to hit 8th, he'll get a lot of walks. Its good that he takes them, but his OBP may be a little inflated and perhaps we should temper expectations for when he eventually moves up in the order. I'd sure like to see him in the 6 hole behind a Votto, Ludwick, Bruce 3, 4, 5.

2. His defense will improve as he becomes more familiar with the league, the hitters, the umpires and his own staff. He's already at least as good as Ramon back there, but should get a lot better. I'm content with him splitting time with Hanigan for a year while he learns, but I hope he gets at least 50% of the starts. As the season goes on, I hope his share increases. It looks like Arroyo will throw to Hanigan, but Mes caught Bailey yesterday and is scheduled to catch Leake today. I know he's caught Latos, so its hard to get a feel for how the split will go. Perhaps Hanigan will begin catching Latos. Some one observed that Latos wasn't shaking the catcher off much. Maybe they'll pair him with Hanigan to see if it helps him get going.

I really don't think so. Maybe with his arm, but Ramon was definitely better as a receiver and blocking bad pitches IMO. Now, I think Mesoraco can and will improve, but to say he's at least as good as Ramon behind the plate right now, I just don't see it.

mth123
04-21-2012, 06:14 PM
I really don't think so. Maybe with his arm, but Ramon was definitely better as a receiver and blocking bad pitches IMO. Now, I think Mesoraco can and will improve, but to say he's at least as good as Ramon behind the plate right now, I just don't see it.

I guess we'll have to disagree. I don't think Ramon was a good receiver. He had a decent arm and a decent bat. He worked with pitchers OK but didn't really call a great game.

There is a reason the staff was worse when he was back there.

Crumbley
04-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Comes across like a guy who would beat you to death if you got out of line, I dig that.

RANDY IN INDY
04-22-2012, 03:28 PM
It's been great watching Mesoraco with Chris Welch on the pre-game shows. He really has a great understanding of catching fundamentals and has a commanding presence about him. If he stays healthy, I think he's gonna be a good one. I think he's gonna hit and provide some punch. With that said, the Reds have another really excellent defensive catcher coming up in Tucker Barnhart. Defense is his strength. Don t think he's ever going to supply much power as he's not a real big guy, but he is a switch hitter which could be a plus. Barnhart is a natural leader.

Kc61
04-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Key thing is whether Mes will be a "good hitting catcher" or a truly good hitter who really helps the offense and can hit in the 3-6 spots somewhere and effectively.

He's done pretty well so far, let's hope.

M2
04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
What I like about Mes is that he's mentally tough. He was a mess during his first 2.5 seasons in pro ball. He knows what it's like to scuffle. He's failed, taken a hard look at himself and come back strong.

Baseball is a game where adversity is unavoidable and Mes is equipped to handle it.

RichRed
04-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Seems like a smart player and a good guy, but with a touch of what they used to (maybe they still do?) call "the red ass." I like that.

lollipopcurve
04-23-2012, 12:02 PM
What I like about Mes is that he's mentally tough. He was a mess during his first 2.5 seasons in pro ball. He knows what it's like to scuffle. He's failed, taken a hard look at himself and come back strong.

Baseball is a game where adversity is unavoidable and Mes is equipped to handle it.

Right on.

cumberlandreds
04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Mesoraco spelled backwards is Ocarosem.

Now pronounce that, Harry. ;)

I like what I see so far with Mez. I think he will be a good one. Looks like he can handle the job defensively as wellas swing a good bat. I also like how the Reds are bringing him along slowly. Letting Hangian still get the bulk of the work. But working him abuot 3 games a week. I can see him being the 2nd best Reds catcher in my lifetime.

11larkin11
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Now pronounce that, Harry. ;)

I like what I see so far with Mez. I think he will be a good one. Looks like he can handle the job defensively as wellas swing a good bat. I also like how the Reds are bringing him along slowly. Letting Hangian still get the bulk of the work. But working him abuot 3 games a week. I can see him being the 2nd best Reds catcher in my lifetime.

Javier Valentin takes offense to this statement.

cumberlandreds
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Javier Valentin takes offense to this statement.

My apologies. He will have to settle for third best, IMO. ;)

dfs
04-23-2012, 04:15 PM
My apologies. He will have to settle for third best, IMO. ;)

You make Corky Miller's moustache sad.

_Sir_Charles_
04-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Corky's 'stache needs a name like Freel had Farney.

Benihana
04-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I like what I see so far. And I was an early skeptic on him in the lower minors.

gonelong
04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
I like what I see so far. And I was an early skeptic on him in the lower minors.

He looked pathetic in Dayton, I didn't like a thing about him.

First season he hits .265+/OPS 730ish and has 450 plate appearances I'm gonna have to scarf down a man-sized plate of crow. That might be in 2013, I think I'm safe for this year.

GL

/so glad to be looking like I'm wrong about this guy.

dougdirt
04-23-2012, 11:07 PM
He looked pathetic in Dayton, I didn't like a thing about him.

First season he hits .265+/OPS 730ish and has 450 plate appearances I'm gonna have to scarf down a man-sized plate of crow. That might be in 2013, I think I'm safe for this year.

GL

/so glad to be looking like I'm wrong about this guy.

I actually thought he looked good in Dayton, in spurts. His swing had parts to it that were good. His defense had things in it that were good.

cumberlandreds
04-24-2012, 08:46 AM

Corky will just have to settle for first in our hearts. ;)

gonelong
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I actually thought he looked good in Dayton, in spurts. His swing had parts to it that were good. His defense had things in it that were good.

I have a *very* hard time believing that kid has somehow improved enough to make is way onto a MLB roster and is contributing to boot.

The handful of times I saw him he did nothing at all well with either the glove or the bat. Completely overmatched with a bat in his hands, no plan at the plate, and very disappointing behind the plate. I guess he improved quite a bit in all phases of the game. :)

The Angels has a kid named Crowley at 3B in A ball last night that could really play the position. Could pick it and had a strong, accurate arm. Looks like he has a plan at the plate too. Could be intersesting.

I only see 8-10 games a year. Which means I sometimes only get to see 20-30 ABs from these guys in a full season. Which means I in no way have a full picture of their capability and have holes in how they have progressed along the seasonal timeline. I also have an 8 year old son (and sometimes one of his friends) that is with me, so he'd have been 4-5 years old at that time. None of that is conducive to armchair scouting/prognosticating. Doesn't matter to me, I'm going to do it anyway because I enjoy it.

GL

dougdirt
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a *very* hard time believing that kid has somehow improved enough to make is way onto a MLB roster and is contributing to boot.

The handful of times I saw him he did nothing at all well with either the glove or the bat. Completely overmatched with a bat in his hands, no plan at the plate, and very disappointing behind the plate. I guess he improved quite a bit in all phases of the game. :)

The Angels has a kid named Crowley at 3B in A ball last night that could really play the position. Could pick it and had a strong, accurate arm. Looks like he has a plan at the plate too. Could be intersesting.

I only see 8-10 games a year. Which means I sometimes only get to see 20-30 ABs from these guys in a full season. Which means I in no way have a full picture of their capability and have holes in how they have progressed along the seasonal timeline. I also have an 8 year old son (and sometimes one of his friends) that is with me, so he'd have been 4-5 years old at that time. None of that is conducive to armchair scouting/prognosticating. Doesn't matter to me, I'm going to do it anyway because I enjoy it.

GL

I will say that after watching him in Dayton, I saw plenty to like. His skills weren't that present, but his tools were all there and showing up if you looked for them.

gonelong
04-24-2012, 05:51 PM
I will say that after watching him in Dayton, I saw plenty to like. His skills weren't that present, but his tools were all there and showing up if you looked for them.

Oh, then I should look for the tools? Gotcha. Thanks for the tip.

GL

dougdirt
04-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh, then I should look for the tools? Gotcha. Thanks for the tip.

GL

For minor leaguers, absolutely. Especially before they reach AA or 24 years old.

Scrap Irony
04-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm the Doubting Thomas here.

I think his swing is short, but he often finds himself uppercutting (dropping his back shoulder) which will lead to a ton of pop outs and lazy fly balls. I like that his head stays still and that his swing has very few moving parts. I don't like his load nor do I like that he keeps his hands close to his chest throughout the swing. Good heat will beat him high. Like most receivers, he has a decent K:BB ratio and obp.

I think he'll be serviceable at this point, but not that difference-maker. Better than Hanigan offensively. Not quite Ramon with the Reds level.

Defensively, he's weak, as he stabs at the ball. That'll get better with more reps. So will his framing. (Which is nonexistent at this point.) Nice, strong arm with little load time-- if the pitchers do their jobs, he'll be middle of the pack or better on CS.

Overall, I'm thinking more along the lines of Chris Snyder than Eddie Taubensee.