PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Humber perfect game

Reds Fanatic
04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Philip Humber of the White Sox just threw a perfect game against the Mariners. It is the 21st perfect game in ML history

Tom Servo
04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_04_21_chamlb_seamlb_1

Congrats to the former Twins/Mets prospect.

jojo
04-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Owl fans everywhere rejoice.....

dougdirt
04-21-2012, 07:08 PM
What is the point of MLB Network existing if they don't cut into programming to show the 9th inning of a perfect game?

Brutus
04-21-2012, 07:10 PM
What is the point of MLB Network existing if they don't cut into programming to show the 9th inning of a perfect game?

They're saving that for their 24/7 news channel as a sister station to MLBN, in which they can bully cable operators to pay $0.80 per subscriber per month to be forced to bundle that in their sports package.

lollipopcurve
04-21-2012, 07:58 PM

MLBN broadcasters came on during the Fox telecast to broadcast the 9th inning of Humbers PG. My guess is Fox has exclusive rights during their Saturday games.

jojo
04-21-2012, 08:01 PM
MLBN broadcasters came on during the Fox telecast to broadcast the 9th inning of Humbers PG. My guess is Fox has exclusive rights during their Saturday games.

Yep. They bludgeoned the nation with blackness.

dougdirt
04-21-2012, 08:02 PM

You are probably right.... but in cases like that, it was really annoying that I couldn't find it. I didn't even think to look on Fox.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Anyone check if Hawk Harrelson is still alive? He must have been bouncing off the walls of the broadcast booth.

redsmetz
04-22-2012, 08:21 AM
I've not seen this before, but here's video of each out. No great spectacular play, but a couple gut checking ones, a ball slicing away from the fielder in left, a pop up to the right where two outfielders & 2nd baseman converging. The bunt attempt (good play for Kawasaki - you're there to get on) & quick play by Humber. Not to mention the strike skittering away from the catcher (yikes!).

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20809833&topic_id=29312742

paulrichjr
04-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Yesterday when I watched this for the first time I felt like Ryan didn't go around. Now I'm almost certain. After reading other sites it appears that FOX decided to not show the replay from the side of his check swing. What are the odds of anyone not showing it if he went around or it was close. My opinion...umpires decided 2 years ago to not let what happened to Galarraga happen again. A close play at the end is going to the pitcher.

Caveman Techie
04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Yesterday when I watched this for the first time I felt like Ryan didn't go around. Now I'm almost certain. After reading other sites it appears that FOX decided to not show the replay from the side of his check swing. What are the odds of anyone not showing it if he went around or it was close. My opinion...umpires decided 2 years ago to not let what happened to Galarraga happen again. A close play at the end is going to the pitcher.

I've seen replay's of it, and he did go around. Watching it live he pulled it back so fast that at first I thought he didn't offer at it, but watching some of the replays (online and youtube) he most certainly did swing at it. The ump got the call right IMO and he did it in real time, I needed slow-mo to convince me. :)

lollipopcurve
04-23-2012, 10:27 AM
I've seen replay's of it, and he did go around. Watching it live he pulled it back so fast that at first I thought he didn't offer at it, but watching some of the replays (online and youtube) he most certainly did swing at it. The ump got the call right IMO and he did it in real time, I needed slow-mo to convince me.

Borderline call has to go to Humber there. Ump made the right call, IMO.

Caveat Emperor
04-23-2012, 11:38 AM
The death of the slap/singles hitter makes me think we're going to see a lot more perfect games / no-hitters going forward.

Sea Ray
04-23-2012, 03:39 PM
I've seen replay's of it, and he did go around. Watching it live he pulled it back so fast that at first I thought he didn't offer at it, but watching some of the replays (online and youtube) he most certainly did swing at it. The ump got the call right IMO and he did it in real time, I needed slow-mo to convince me. :)

I never saw a repay other than the CF camera. I'd love to see a better angle. From CF it's awfully hard to tell but I'd lean toward no swing. Of course today they call way too many checked swings for strikes for my tastes

jojo
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
The Ms are obviously my AL team so if anyone was going to be miffed about the call that ended the game, it might be me. I don't have a problem with the call at all and don't think of it as controversial in the least.

Caveman Techie
04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w58mGN0t7vk

Here is a frame by frame look from a different angle of the last strike.

Sea Ray
04-24-2012, 03:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w58mGN0t7vk

Here is a frame by frame look from a different angle of the last strike.

Excellent . Thanks for posting that. :thumbup:

The ump got it right and that's good to see after what happened in Detroit...