PDA

View Full Version : Hoover called up...but

brm7675
04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Reds have called up Hoover...however no word on whom he replaces and where they go? So did someone get DL or Demoted or....DFA?

Jdattilo
04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Probably traded Chapman.

Who Dey Time
04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Unless there is something that no one knows about you'd have to figure the corresponding move is one of these:

1) Bray to AAA or DL

2) Phillips to DL

3) Harris DFA

My inclination is to believe that Bray, in some fashion, is the move.

The DARK
04-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Bray is out of options, so I can't help but imagine it's the DL for him. That quote in ORG about using JJ Hoover as a possible closer frees up Marshall for 8th innning lefty duties.

texasdave
04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Interesting article from MLBTraderumors.com.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/update-on-timeline-for-calling-up-prospects.html

Today represents the 20th day of the minor league season by my count. This means prospects on 40-man rosters such as Trevor Bauer, Bryce Harper and Danny Hultzen will have spent the requisite 20 days on optional assignments following today. Even if their teams call them up tomorrow for the remainder of the MLB season, they will accrue a maximum of 162 days of service -- short of the 172 days required for a full year.

So it is possible that they wanted Hoover up the entire time but decided to try to milk three weeks out of Bray so they could save a year's service time with Hoover. Possibly.

Girevik
04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I tend to think that with all the work the pen has been getting, they want an extra arm. I've got a feeling that the corresponding move may well be a position player.

texasdave
04-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Maybe a trade. Trades are always fun.

The DARK
04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Interesting article from MLBTraderumors.com.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/update-on-timeline-for-calling-up-prospects.html

So it is possible that they wanted Hoover up the entire time but decided to try to milk three weeks out of Bray so they could save a year's service time with Hoover. Possibly.

Fine by me. In that case, we could be waving goodbye to Simon.

The DARK
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Also, if there's a trade, this seems fairly reasonable:

-Homer Bailey and Sam Lecure for a strong lefty bullpen arm and a borderline starter corner outfielder with some power. Then DFA Simon and call up Francis to play out in the longman role.

You get Latos, Cueto, Leake, Chapman, and Arroyo starting. You get a bullpen of Marshall, Hoover, the new upgraded lefty, Bray, Arredondo, Ondrusek, and Francis. You can send whoever isn't performing back down once Masset is ready, and you still have Fisher in AAA in case of trouble. You also solve your lefty lineup problems by giving Baker solid options across the board to use in the outfield.

In general, I see upgrades across the board. We might be sacrificing some upside in Bailey to get it done, but I see that as offset by what Chapman brings to the table as a starter.

krm1580
04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Bray is out of options, so I can't help but imagine it's the DL for him. That quote in ORG about using JJ Hoover as a possible closer frees up Marshall for 8th innning lefty duties.

I was thinking the same thing. If Hoover is the closer, Marshall becomes the lefty setup guy and maybe a lefty setup guy (one with 15.6 k/9 and a .088 baa) goes to the rotation. :D

On a side note, you really have to admire the Braves ability to scout/draft pitching. They always seem to have it.

texasdave
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM
This was preordained by the baseball gods. A pitcher with the last name of Hoover could only play for a manager named Dusty. (This is a little vacuum humor and not a poke at our manager.)

BigJohn
04-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I just hope he doesn't suck! :lol:

The DARK
04-24-2012, 12:05 PM
So many good jokes to be had here, but I just hope he'll fill the vacuum left by Masset!

Seriously, though hope he lives up to his capabilities in Cincinnati. He's got solid, reliable stuff and excellent command, though he's unfortunately a flyball pitcher. He's also capable of going longer outings, as he has plenty of starter experience. It'll be a pleasure to see him out of the pen.

texasdave
04-24-2012, 12:22 PM
I honestly feel that with Hoover down in the bullpen now the Reds have a real good chance of 'sweeping' this home stand.

texasdave
04-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Twittersearch indicates Bill Bray is going to the DL.

brm7675
04-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Yep Bray to DL with groin. The same groin problem he had in ST, so AGAIN you have to question the decision making process of our mag't. You bring a guy north your Manager says isn't ready due to injury/lack of work and you know it's going to limit his availability and you are going to play some games in cold weather which limits him even more. I know there is...but I really have to wonder if there is a poorer decision making mag't team in the MLB system right now when it comes to DL'ing players and playing with a limited roster.

texasdave
04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Yep Bray to DL with groin. The same groin problem he had in ST, so AGAIN you have to question the decision making process of our mag't. You bring a guy north your Manager says isn't ready due to injury/lack of work and you know it's going to limit his availability and you are going to play some games in cold weather which limits him even more. I know there is...but I really have to wonder if there is a poorer decision making mag't team in the MLB system right now when it comes to DL'ing players and playing with a limited roster.

I have to agree. If he wasn't ready why have him on the 25-man and throwing pitches in game-deciding situations. Our brain trust did not fare too well on this decision, IMO.

BigJohn
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Latest NewsRecent NewsReds recalled RHP JJ Hoover from Triple-A Louisville.He'll take the place of the injured Bill Bray (groin) on the active roster. Hoover, who was acquired from the Braves earlier this month for Juan Francisco, had a 2.00 ERA and 17/6 K/BB ratio over nine innings with Triple-A Louisville. He'll probably start out in middle relief, but could work his way into a set-up role eventually. Apr 24 - 12:43 PM

texasdave
04-24-2012, 12:56 PM
When Hoover was asked if he minded starting out in middle relief after being a closer at AAA, JJ replied, "I don't give a 'dam'. I am in The Show, baby!".

BigJohn
04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2723

texasdave
04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
On a serious note. A team cannot have enough big-time arms.

Who Dey Time
04-24-2012, 12:59 PM

This I can agree with.

smixsell
04-24-2012, 01:15 PM
This was preordained by the baseball gods. A pitcher with the last name of Hoover could only play for a manager named Dusty. (This is a little vacuum humor and not a poke at our manager.)

Good one. :)

smixsell
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
So many good jokes to be had here, but I just hope he'll fill the vacuum left by Masset!

Another good one. :)

Mutaman
04-24-2012, 01:57 PM
If you saw Bray in his last spring training effort which was on MLB, he was hammered. I remembered wondering how he would be ready to pitch in the regular season, a few days away.

I can't imagine how the professionals like Price and Baker could not recognize what was so obvious. What's worse is that Bray was used immediately in several key situations in which he clearly was not ready to perform. This cost the team a win on 4/13/12 and perhaps annother on 4/17/12.

Somebody should have been able to figure this out.

brm7675
04-24-2012, 02:01 PM
I might be wrong, but does this mean that Chapman is now our only lefty in the pen or is Hoover a lefty or am I forgetting someone?

LexRedsFan
04-24-2012, 02:05 PM
I might be wrong, but does this mean that Chapman is now our only lefty in the pen or is Hoover a lefty or am I forgetting someone?

Marshall.

texasdave
04-24-2012, 02:23 PM
I think it is quite possible this team was penny-wise and pound foolish. The timing is too coincidental, IMO. They hoped to nurse Bray along until the requisite period of time had passed and they could bring up Hoover and save a year's service time with him. So what if it cost the team a game or two in the process. I would hope this was not the case. But the pieces seem to line up quite nicely.

RedsfaninMT
04-24-2012, 02:27 PM
I honestly feel that with Hoover down in the bullpen now the Reds have a real good chance of 'sweeping' this home stand.

Your pun (and several others) really "suck." :D

brm7675
04-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I think it is quite possible this team was penny-wise and pound foolish. The timing is too coincidental, IMO. They hoped to nurse Bray along until the requisite period of time had passed and they could bring up Hoover and save a year's service time with him. So what if it cost the team a game or two in the process. I would hope this was not the case. But the pieces seem to line up quite nicely.

You give Walt and Dusty way to much credit. This along with not DL'ing Phillips and not DFA's Harris is just another case of stupidty by the Reds organization.

brm7675
04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Marshall.

Well true but he is the closer which means he can only and mean only pitch in games where we have the lead and he can earn a save, otherwise he sits on the bench in the bullpen...:lol:

The Rage
04-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Time to start collecting on the Francisco trade.

joeyvottoisneat
04-24-2012, 05:05 PM
So if Hoover could be the closer, as many have suggested, AND Marshall moves into a set up man role, AND Chapman is "destined" to start (also as many suggest) won't we be in the same boat with only one lefty non-closer in the pen with Marshall (until Bray is back)? If Chapman is going to start, I'd assume we can't just move him right to the rotation and would need to continue to give him time to "stretch out".

Obviously Hoover wouldn't be the closer right away so this is down the road.

Captain13
04-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Hoover made his MLB debut and pitched one scoreless inning. He did his job, kept the Reds in the game. We have a long time before we will really know how good this kid is.

One thing we all know for sure is "That was big. That was real big. Huge."

malcontent
04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Hoover made his MLB debut and pitched one scoreless inning. He did his job, kept the Reds in the game. We have a long time before we will really know how good this kid is.

One thing we all know for sure is "That was big. That was real big. Huge."
I would have been more encouraged if he wasn't topping out at 92.

Been reading he works 92-95 but also saw somewhere that he can touch 98.

I think the latter report was probably erroneous.

Hopefully his slider is most excellent.

I don't know where this idea he can close for the Reds came from, but I suspect that there is absolutely no chance of that happening, nor should it.

SidneySlicker
04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I would have been more encouraged if he wasn't topping out at 92.

Been reading he works 92-95 but also saw somewhere that he can touch 98.

I think the latter report was probably erroneous.

Hopefully his slider is most excellent.

I don't know where this idea he can close for the Reds came from, but I suspect that there is absolutely no chance of that happening, nor should it.

Actually I'd take the opposite stance, I'd say it's impressive that he got guys out without his best stuff. As far as his fb topping out at 92, it was a cool April night. I wouldn't be too worried about that. Will just have to wait and see what we have. Hopefully he'll be a pleasant surprise.

malcontent
04-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Actually I'd take the opposite stance, I'd say it's impressive that he got guys out without his best stuff. As far as his fb topping out at 92, it was a cool April night. I wouldn't be too worried about that. Will just have to wait and see what we have. Hopefully he'll be a pleasant surprise.
Hope you're right, Slicker.