PDA

View Full Version : How good?

brm7675
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
How good could this Reds organization be if we say had in mag't the likes of the guy running TB and their manager? At this point I think this franchise has peaked at how good it can be given those driving this boat so to speak. I think we can see with a number of top level teams how it is important to go with younger folk with new and different ideas over what was done in MLB in the 70's and 80's which is what we have right now....

dubc47834
04-24-2012, 03:07 PM
How good could this Reds organization be if we say had in mag't the likes of the guy running TB and their manager? At this point I think this franchise has peaked at how good it can be given those driving this boat so to speak. I think we can see with a number of top level teams how it is important to go with younger folk with new and different ideas over what was done in MLB in the 70's and 80's which is what we have right now....

70's and 80's???? Jockety has won a World Series with the Cards as recently as '06 and won Executive of the year 3 times (2000, 2004, & 2010), so I don't think that he has just forgot how to set up/manage a team. You can debate Dusty Baker on being here, I'm still on the fence about him. I tend to like him tho.

brm7675
04-24-2012, 03:29 PM
70's and 80's???? Jockety has won a World Series with the Cards as recently as '06 and won Executive of the year 3 times (2000, 2004, & 2010), so I don't think that he has just forgot how to set up/manage a team. You can debate Dusty Baker on being here, I'm still on the fence about him. I tend to like him tho.

How do you explain:

No left handed bat off the bench
How do you explain the use of injuried players over healthy ones
How do you explain the signing of gosh knows non hitting OF
How do you explain an overall losing record as GM while with the Reds?

Sorry but the Reds won in spite of him in 2010. As for 2000 and 2004 that was 12 and 8 years ago, the game has changed, plus he had a much bigger flexability budget wise in St. louis and had a quality manager and pitching coach which we don't have here. Love or Hate Tony L., the man won every where he managed.

dubc47834
04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
How do you explain:

No left handed bat off the bench
How do you explain the use of injuried players over healthy ones
How do you explain the signing of gosh knows non hitting OF
How do you explain an overall losing record as GM while with the Reds?

Sorry but the Reds won in spite of him in 2010. As for 2000 and 2004 that was 12 and 8 years ago, the game has changed, plus he had a much bigger flexability budget wise in St. louis and had a quality manager and pitching coach which we don't have here. Love or Hate Tony L., the man won every where he managed.

That has nothing to do with what you posted earlier about the 70's and 80's. Some of the moves they have made just haven't panned out. I don't think that it's because they still have the mindset of the 70's & 80's. Walt still won Executive of the year in 2010, how do you explain that? He didn't have this draconian thought waaay back then. You point out all the bad, but never point out the good stuff Walt has done also.

mound_patrol
04-24-2012, 03:47 PM

It's not management's fault for how the team has played so far. The offense has severely underperformed. Jocketty did a good job of setting the team up to compete for a NL championship this season. Sure the bench is weak, but we don't have the budget to spend 3 or 4 million to sign a legitimate bench guy. Yes I hate having a guy like Willy Harris and Valdez, but in the grand scheme of things they play a minor role.

mound_patrol
04-24-2012, 03:50 PM
That has nothing to do with what you posted earlier about the 70's and 80's. Some of the moves they have made just haven't panned out. I don't think that it's because they still have the mindset of the 70's & 80's. Walt still won Executive of the year in 2010, how do you explain that? He didn't have this draconian thought waaay back then. You point out all the bad, but never point out the good stuff Walt has done also.

To me exec of the yr is like manager of the year. He got the award because the reds overachieved and won the division. It doesn't really matter if he earned it or not.

bmwreds31
04-24-2012, 04:35 PM
It's not management's fault for how the team has played so far. The offense has severely underperformed. Jocketty did a good job of setting the team up to compete for a NL championship this season. Sure the bench is weak, but we don't have the budget to spend 3 or 4 million to sign a legitimate bench guy. Yes I hate having a guy like Willy Harris and Valdez, but in the grand scheme of things they play a minor role.

I always chuckle at the Dont have the budget comments. We should really be saying. Dont wanna have the budget. Because they got the budget.

bigredmechanism
04-24-2012, 06:31 PM

I agree that their impact is limited, but the way the lower crust plays I think it's better to save the change and go with some fringe prospect from AAA.

Janish wouldn't hit worse than .077, and he can play the infield. Harris has been an outfielder for the better part of 5 seasons now, and it shows in games like the last one.

Righty/Lefty matchups matter, but at some point, if the lefty can't hit righties at an acceptable... you need to look into other options.

jwmann2
04-24-2012, 09:33 PM

I think Castellini and Jocketty should model their ownership after Mike Brown and the Bengals. It would be awesome.