.233, 0 hr, 4 rbi, .619 ops

texasdave
04-24-2012, 09:57 PM

And nine more years to go.

Red Raindog
04-24-2012, 10:33 PM

yikes ---- he's too good to stay there -- right?

DGullett35
04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
He will get his numbers. always does, and that lineup is pretty good. Remember he gets to play the A's and M's a whole lot. Them A.L. teams just beat up on each other. DH makes a difference

malcontent
04-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Damned Cardinals dodged the Albertross bullet.

:runawaycry:

Falcon7
04-25-2012, 02:01 AM
And nine more years to go.

Votto not exactly tearing it up this year either, I guess $20,000,000 a year doesn't buy much anymore...

texasdave
04-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Votto not exactly tearing it up this year either, I guess $20,000,000 a year doesn't buy much anymore...

I find that much in my couch cushions these days. :laugh:

R_Webb18
04-25-2012, 03:00 AM

votto doing better still

mikdavrut
04-25-2012, 04:25 AM
Both Pujols and Votto do seem to be off to somewhat slow starts, but I'm sure things will come around for both as the season progresses.

I know one thing: Had it been up to me as to which player to give the $200million+ and 10 yr. contract to, I would have picked Votto without a second thought.

There's no doubt that the Reds stand a really solid chance of that contract biting them in the future, especially those last few yrs. But I think the Pujols contract is more certain to do just that. I REALLY think that Pujols contract is going to really end up biting the Angel's in the ass and maybe sooner rather than later.

But you know, I'm no fortune teller and it's certainly NOT beyond the realms of possibility that BOTH contracts end up paying off quite handsomely. I sure do hope so in the case of the Reds/Votto contract.

Of course, I hope every bit the same for the Philips contract as well. I just HATE to see a smaller market/money team like the Reds get eaten alive by long and very expensive contracts. Here's to hoping for good fortune and good payoff!

The DARK
04-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Tearing it up? No. But shockingly, still good enough for 4th in the MLB in OPS among first basemen. Ahead of Pujols, AGonzo, and Fielder.

Magdal
04-25-2012, 11:07 PM
He will get his numbers. always does, and that lineup is pretty good. Remember he gets to play the A's and M's a whole lot. Them A.L. teams just beat up on each other. DH makes a differenceThey said that all last year and it never happened. It won't happen this year either.

So...is he now the official Angel DH or what? (I can see it as his D also reached all time lows last year)

jwmann2
04-25-2012, 11:43 PM

140+ more games to go. Remember Dan Uggla's slow start last season? The Dude ended up on a slow track towards Joe Dimaggio's consecutive hitting record at one point. Albert will get his numbers and the Angels are bound to be a force by the end of the season.

Falcon7
04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Tearing it up? No. But shockingly, still good enough for 4th in the MLB in OPS among first basemen. Ahead of Pujols, AGonzo, and Fielder.

I was happy to see him hit a fast ball hard and to the right of the center field tonight. But when will he hit his 2nd HR?

Ironman92
04-29-2012, 09:12 PM
88 AB....nearing yikes time

Red Raindog
04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
88 AB....nearing yikes time

But only 13 K's & 6 BB --- strikes me as odd --

making contact but mostly with no punch ---

Ironman92
04-29-2012, 09:56 PM
But only 13 K's & 6 BB --- strikes me as odd --

making contact but mostly with no punch ---

So the Angels signed Luis Castillo. Lol

Red Raindog
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM

That is cruel my friend

:thumbup:

Ironman92
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM

without the speed that is!

Krawhitham
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM

He is on pace for 110 RBI

Pujols on pace for 29 RBI

Ironman92
04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah....Votto is fine....any Reds fan that actually watches the game knows it.

Pujols is really pressing.....his walk total shows it.

lidspinner
04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
They said that all last year and it never happened. It won't happen this year either.

So...is he now the official Angel DH or what? (I can see it as his D also reached all time lows last year)

albert hit .299/37hr/99rbi.......not bad for a guy who started so slow...not big time, top contract money but still not bad and if he can mirror those numbers this year in the Angels lineup then I think he will be doing fine...I am sure they are expecting a ton more but if he gets his 100rbi and 30hr then I think he will get his avg close to .300 and that should be fine.....now, if they stick Albert at DH and let him focus on just offense then I think those numbers will improve....

I am not saying that Albert is not under performing, but I do think he will be just fine and get his numbers, and when I say his numbers, I mean the numbers from last year or just a tad higher.....and that is not to shabby for a guy his age.

Red Raindog
05-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Pujols now

108 AB -- .194 BA -- 8 2B -- 0 HR -- 5 RBI -- 6 BB

wow

mlh1981
05-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Is there ever any mention of moving him down in the batting order, or giving him a few days off? I know you have an ego to stroke, and these actions could result in some controversy, but Mike Scioscia has a ballclub to manage, and right now, Pujols is dead weight.

Assembly Hall
05-05-2012, 08:24 AM
How many guys out there remember Dale Murphy? I know it is early but I cant help but wonder if Albert is walking the same path as Murph.

mikdavrut
05-05-2012, 10:26 AM
The fans are even beginning to boo Pujols :eek:

I'll say this: I have NO CLUE as to whether or not the rumor that the Reds were close to signing Pujols are true, but for an albatross of a contract, I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have Votto vs. Pujols. It's not even close for me.

And I'm not just saying this because Albert is struggling to mightily thus far this season. For that matter, Albert could stink the joint up the rest of the season and come next year be back to the Albert of old. Or, he could start hitting lights out today and finish this season w/better #s than last season.

But between those 2 players it's simply a no-brainer for me. I'm VERY torn on the Votto contract as it is and I definitely think that the Reds will end up "eating" some of it as he gets up in age. But no one is going to know for sure until the contract is up.

But Pujols, wow. I think the Angels are going to end up eating A LOT of that one. Same goes for the Detroit Tigers and Prince Fielder for that matter.

R_Webb18
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
If he keeps starting slow (last 2 years) at some point he won't get his 30 home runs 300 batting avg like everyone keeps saying will happen. Do I think his year will be terrible no but maybe for him yes.

bmwreds31
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM
The fans are even beginning to boo Pujols :eek:

Not just a few fans either. There was some LOUD boos getting thrown out. I personally dont like Pujols so im thrilled to death and hope He sucks the rest of his career.

And Of course i would have taken votto over pujols. Votto will continue to come around as the rest opf the team comes around.

Currently he's just not seeing anything to hit because of the rest of the team is struggling so badly.

mlh1981
05-05-2012, 11:39 AM
The quandry that the Angels face is, Pujols may rebound, and still post 30/100, but they aren't paying him to be very good. They are paying him to be GREAT, and to be one of the top 2-3 players in baseball. I don't think the numbers he's gonna post will necessarily seperate himself from the pack, therefore not making him worth the money he's making.

They need him to produce like Matt Kemp, but I think those days are over.

New York Red
05-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Pujols now

108 AB -- .194 BA -- 8 2B -- 0 HR -- 5 RBI -- 6 BB

wow
:eek:

Ironman92
05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
How many guys out there remember Dale Murphy? I know it is early but I cant help but wonder if Albert is walking the same path as Murph.

I do and it's kinda similar. Murphy was never an elite hitter but was an elite power hitter. Went to the Phillies after being Mr. TBS for much of my childhood and couldn't do anything.

Scoscia needs to focus more on getting him going.

DirtyBaker
05-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Votto's OPS is now over .400 higher than Pujols, and Votto's OBP is nearly double. There is no similarity between the two statistically, only financially.

New York Red
05-05-2012, 04:59 PM
The quandry that the Angels face is, Pujols may rebound, and still post 30/100, but they aren't paying him to be very good. They are paying him to be GREAT, and to be one of the top 2-3 players in baseball. I don't think the numbers he's gonna post will necessarily seperate himself from the pack, therefore not making him worth the money he's making.

They need him to produce like Matt Kemp, but I think those days are over.
I'm guessing Pujols is feeling even more pressure because of Kemp's red-hot start.

CU2morrownite
05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Albert struggling with defensive shifts from opposing teams, pitchers he's never seen before and an obligation to produce after receiving a ridiculous contract from Arte Moreno. His value will never match the contract he got, but with Wells and Torii Hunter's salaries coming off the books in the next 2 years along with the release of Bobby Abreu and his contract, the Angels will at least have Pujols to anchor a young and talented rookie corp along with a solid starting staff in the upcoming seasons.

The Angel's will at least have a little money to spend on free agent upgrades. The window of oppurtunity to win a title for the Angels is probably 3-4 years with Pujols producing at a high level. Definitley not worth the 10 years he got. I promise you.. John Mozeliak and Bill Dewitt were high fiving then hugging each other when Albert agreed to sign with the Angels.

Roush's socks
05-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Pujols is visibly smaller than in the past.

Ironman92
05-05-2012, 09:34 PM

He's just farther away.

Ironman92
05-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Or steroids did for him offensively what they did for Eric Gagne pitching.

DirtyBaker
05-05-2012, 09:51 PM
He's just farther away.

:laugh:

R_Webb18
05-05-2012, 11:16 PM
id worry. i mean he started slow last year also. yea he ended up okay but he did just sign huge contract.

Ironman92
05-05-2012, 11:26 PM
I can't fathom the huge contract stuff. Was he on welfare the past few years?

Red Raindog
05-06-2012, 07:39 AM
He's just farther away.

Hilarious

:thumbup:

redssince75
05-06-2012, 08:44 AM
He's just farther away.

+1

Ironman92
05-06-2012, 06:21 PM
It took him 110 AB....but he finally did it.

lidspinner
05-07-2012, 09:48 AM
now he just needs to go 3-4 for the next month and a half and he will be back

cw0802
05-08-2012, 10:29 AM

Nah...he's the same size as he always was the first month or so of the season. He always came into spring training in much better shape than would gradually get fatter as the season went on.

Tadasimha
05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Or steroids did for him offensively what they did for Eric Gagne pitching.

Looked up some pictures of Albert to compare him from last year to the start of this season and I'm not seeing any signs of him really showing any size change. Remember how much Sammy Sosa changed from one season to the next?

I think the issue is age - I've always thought he was older than he claimed. He's supposedly 32 but he's looking like a guy who's several years older than that and experiencing that sharp decline in his skills that happens to players in their mid to late 30s.

Magdal
05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
I can't fathom the huge contract stuff. Was he on welfare the past few years?Money was not the issue. He wanted OUT. LaRussa left. He was AP's protection from the teamates that had cooled to Albert conciderably. #1 He was pissed when Holliday got a bigger contract than he..#2 He positively hated when Berkman became the team leader, and favorite w/o even trying...3# TLR, his buffer from the teamates he came to eschew left him.

Since he did not give a sh*t about St. Louis in the 1st place, he was outa there!

Which brings me to #5.....he was sick to death of getting such little attention by the national media for not playing in NY or LA...that's why he turned down that great offer from Miami, a place where he would have been a perfect fit.

Well, he has his national attention now. He and the Angels have been covered more this year than ever in their history.

New York Red
05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Well, he has his national attention now. He and the Angels have been covered more this year than ever in their history.
I doubt he's getting the kind of attention he'd hoped for from the LA media -- considering his ice cold start and the way Kemp and Eithier have come out of the gate for the crosstown Dodgers. This has been a nightmare start with the LA media for Pujols. I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side, Albert!

Magdal
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
I doubt he's getting the kind of attention he'd hoped for from the LA media -- considering his ice cold start and the way Kemp and Eithier have come out of the gate for the crosstown Dodgers. This has been a nightmare start with the LA media for Pujols. I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side, Albert!Yep...and if he does not start hitting, the nightmare will become a monster.

goreds2
05-16-2012, 10:57 PM
:)

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/19065661/adam-dunn-sympathizes-with-albert-pujols

Adam Dunn sympathizes with Albert Pujols
By C. Trent Rosecrans | Baseball Blogger

If there's anyone who can understand just how Albert Pujols feels right now, it's Adam Dunn. That's why Dunn is planning on talking to Pujols before the White Sox start a two-game series in Anaheim on Wednesday.

"I know Albert well and I know this has got to be killing him," Dunn told Bob Nightengale of USA Today. "It just gets to be so frustrating. It eats at you and eats at you.

"Believe me, I've been there."

Dunn had a historically bad season in 2011, his first in the American League after spending the first part of his career in the National League with the Reds, Diamondbacks and Nationals. Last year, in the first year of a four-year, $56 million deal with the White Sox, Dunn hit .159/.292/.277 with 11 home runs and 42 RBI. This year he's bounced back to put up more typical Adam Dunn numbers, hitting .248/.384/.597 (all actually better than his career numbers) with 12 homers and 28 RBI.

Pujols, in the first year of his mega 10-year, $240 million deal, is hitting just .212/.248/.288 with one home run.

"I didn't realize it at the time until the winter, but subconsciously, the mental part got to you," Dunn told Nightengale. "It just kept weighing on you. I just didn't know it at the time. You go to the plate, and you're thinking about where your hands are. You look at your stance. You're thinking about everything but what you're supposed to be thinking, and that's hitting the ball.

"I'm sure Albert's going through the same thing. I know he's fighting it."

Red Raindog
05-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Albert went deep tonight -- gives him 2 now!

bigredmechanism
05-16-2012, 11:41 PM
I really wish he was on the Cardinals right now.

Magdal
05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
I really wish he was on the Cardinals right now.He would still be batting 3rd in the lineup, hurting the team just like Holliday is now.

Remember that locker room incedent concearning Mickey Hatcher talking to the press, relating Albert's words? Hatcher was FIRED yesterday.

"It just keeps getting worse for Albert Pujols in his new baseball life in Anaheim. In the latest episode of Albert Angst, he’s being blamed for the Angels’ firing of longtime batting coach Mickey Hatcher.

After 12-plus seasons in the role, Hatcher was abruptly dismissed Tuesday night. The move was surprising, given the close friendship between Hatcher and Los Angeles Angels manager Mike Scioscia. They’ve been pals since their days (1987-1990) as teammates with the LA Dodgers.

Scioscia immediately put Hatcher on his staff upon being hired as Angels manager in 2000. The baseball buddies made the playoffs six times and won the 2002 World Series.

Scioscia had fiercely defended Hatcher from criticism through the years. But those days are gone. If anything, Scioscia should be concerned over his own job status. His substantial power within the Angels’ organization is fading. "

Ironman92
05-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Catching warmth.

malcontent
05-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Catching warmth.
Santa Ana winds keeping the Albertross aloft for the moment.

Ironman92
05-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Santa Ana winds keeping the Albertross aloft for the moment.

Steroidal winds?

texasdave
05-27-2012, 06:04 PM
The clear and the cream.

Ironman92
05-27-2012, 06:06 PM
The clear and the cream.

Gross

Magdal
05-28-2012, 09:38 AM
AP is on a 3 day tear. It could be that he's found his stroke, or that the AL pitchers have let down their guard and are throwing lollipops up there, not fearing him OR it could be that GOD has eased up on the Job treatment.

Ironman92
05-28-2012, 11:23 AM
AP is on a 3 day tear. It could be that he's found his stroke, or that the AL pitchers have let down their guard and are throwing lollipops up there, not fearing him OR it could be that GOD has eased up on the Job treatment.

6 HR in 11 games is not a 3 day tear.

Tadasimha
05-28-2012, 11:26 AM

The elves finally delivered the new magic bats and Sasquatch got back from Atlantis to adjust Pujols' chakras. :laugh:

Magdal
05-29-2012, 06:55 AM
6 HR in 11 games is not a 3 day tear.

OK, 6 days if you like. But in the last 11 games he has had 2 hits in a game twice, and 3 once, going 1 for 4 in the rest. NOT earth shaking.