PDA

View Full Version : Yu Darvish

New York Red
04-24-2012, 10:58 PM
This guy is looking like money well spent. Did I really hear what MLB Network just said -- he pitched from the stretch the entire game, just to work on his mechanics? And pitched 8+ innings of shutout baseball against the Yankees in the process? Wow.

texasdave
04-24-2012, 11:05 PM
No big deal. A lot of pitchers have pitched the entire game against the Yankees from the stretch. Well, as long as they were in the game. :)

Mutaman
04-25-2012, 12:53 AM
No big deal. A lot of pitchers have pitched the entire game against the Yankees from the stretch. Well, as long as they were in the game. :)

:laugh: I turned the game on and couldn't figure out why he was pitching from the stretch with nobody on. Michael Kay said he's tough on his catchers- he has seven legitimate pitches and they only have 5 fingers.

mikdavrut
04-25-2012, 04:33 AM
:laugh: I turned the game on and couldn't figure out why he was pitching from the stretch with nobody on. Michael Kay said he's tough on his catchers- he has seven legitimate pitches and they only have 5 fingers.

I thought I had heard that he had like TEN pitches but for now was mainly concentrating on 4? I thought I heard one of the Baseball Tonight guys say something to the effect of "he's only using like 4 pitches from his large repertoire right now, imagine if he was using 'em ALL with this much effectiveness" (not an exact quote, just getting their point across).

I mean wow, if his full repertoire is 7/8/9/10...whatever # of pitches, and he begins incorporating them into his game w/the same effectiveness he was having last night, that would really be something :eek: Talk about keeping a lot of hitters very confused and unable to really "learn" him!

The Rangers are simply an awesome team, period. As well all well know, over the course of a 162 game long baseball season, anything can happen, but I absolutely will not be surprised to see them make their 3rd World Series in a row and I think if they DO, 3rd time will be the charm. Can you imagine making it to THREE WS in a ROW and NOT winning it for a 3rd time?! Ouch!

dubc47834
04-25-2012, 07:54 AM
I thought I had heard that he had like TEN pitches but for now was mainly concentrating on 4? I thought I heard one of the Baseball Tonight guys say something to the effect of "he's only using like 4 pitches from his large repertoire right now, imagine if he was using 'em ALL with this much effectiveness" (not an exact quote, just getting their point across).

I mean wow, if his full repertoire is 7/8/9/10...whatever # of pitches, and he begins incorporating them into his game w/the same effectiveness he was having last night, that would really be something :eek: Talk about keeping a lot of hitters very confused and unable to really "learn" him!

The Rangers are simply an awesome team, period. As well all well know, over the course of a 162 game long baseball season, anything can happen, but I absolutely will not be surprised to see them make their 3rd World Series in a row and I think if they DO, 3rd time will be the charm. Can you imagine making it to THREE WS in a ROW and NOT winning it for a 3rd time?! Ouch!

On Baseball Tonite Timmy Kirkjin said that the Rangers were wanting him to work on just the 4 pitches. He said that he had 7 pitches but "ONLY" 5 were really effective...LOL. I think Darvish has a chance to be really special, and he is doing it for a team that scores a tom of runs. AMAZING

bigredmechanism
04-25-2012, 11:02 AM

I remember Daisuke Matsuzaka threw like 8 pitches, including the infamous "Gyroball" (still haven't seen it). Just saying.

To be fair, he has a much larger build than Dice-K, so his fastball should be more effective. For a Japanese guy, he is huge. Maybe it's not the best comparison.

jwmann2
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I bet the Yankees wish they had bid a little more on Darvish. Would have been better than giving up Montero in a trade.