PDA

View Full Version : Anybody See This Article: Heisey Almost Traded

MikeS21
04-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Check this out:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2012/04/25/report-reds-almost-dealt-heisey-to-braves/

I question why these stories come out now. This can't bring anything positive to the Reds' clubhouse.

_Sir_Charles_
04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Well, I think it was released by Bowman who's the Braves beat guy. So I don't think he cares too much about the Reds clubhouse. He also seemed to wait until Jurrjens got sent down before revealing it. Fay was just posting what has already been revealed. He'd pretty much not be doing his job if he didn't report it.

dougdirt
04-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Not that anyone expected Jurrjens to be this bad early on, but there is a reason that a guy with a sub 3.00 ERA was almost traded for a part time player and a guy who is out of options who hasn't been able to get playing time. His control has been poor this year. Have to wonder if he isn't hiding an injury.

traderumor
04-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I was just commenting last night when I saw the crawler about Jurrjens that there are a lot of teams feeling either smart or lucky for not biting when Atlanta was very publicly trying to deal him.

MikeS21
04-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Not that anyone expected Jurrjens to be this bad early on, but there is a reason that a guy with a sub 3.00 ERA was almost traded for a part time player and a guy who is out of options who hasn't been able to get playing time. His control has been poor this year. Have to wonder if he isn't hiding an injury.
I'd have to agree, Doug. Jurrjens has gradually lost a little zip on his fastball over the last couple years, and he didn't have much to lose to start with. For a guy hitting his prime, you do wonder if the problem is not physical.

cumberlandreds
04-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Just be glad the Reds didn't make that trade. Sounds like Jurrjens is hurt.

Tom Servo
04-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't have been the worst trade in terms of value, but obviously Jurrgens has been scuffling for a while.

redsmetz
04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Check this out:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2012/04/25/report-reds-almost-dealt-heisey-to-braves/

I question why these stories come out now. This can't bring anything positive to the Reds' clubhouse.

I agree with those who noted that Fay was reporting on the Atlanta MLB.com reporter's story, but even without that, it's newsworthy if Fay picked up on it too. I disagree though that it's necessarily a negative in the clubhouse. How many times have players said that they understand that this is a business. We hear it all the time, so every player knows something like this can happen at anytime. I think, especially, if you're a player who's on the cusp of your career, you know this is a fact of life.

I look at it differently too. A player like Heisey sees others think highly of him, and frankly, it can indicate that the Reds think highly of him too since they withdrew him from the market once the Latos trade came down. I'm just not sold that Chris has anything to take umbrage with.

RedsManRick
04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Very glad we didn't do that. Jurjens had all kinds of red lights, both health and performance.

Kc61
04-25-2012, 02:31 PM
As this report suggests, in considering future trades, Heisey is a candidate. Dusty obviously sees him behind Ludwick in LF so far. If the team decides it has other needs, Chris could be bait.

The one thing about Chris, though, is that he plays reasonable center field. Team should have someone who can back up CF. So that makes it harder to give up a guy like Heisey.

After the Latos and Marshall trades, the minor league candidates for trade are fewer, someone like Heisey could go if a deal is to be made.

RedlegJake
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
So glad that trade didn't go down. Not only would it have nixed the Latos deal but it also would have nixed the Hoover deal. I like what they got this way much, much better obviously. I don't think it does anything negative in the clubhouse however. Players understand trades are possible and most guys see them as inevitable at some point. They even view them as positive - it means you're a valued commodity - even to the team that tried to trade you.

HokieRed
04-25-2012, 02:58 PM
As this report suggests, in considering future trades, Heisey is a candidate. Dusty obviously sees him behind Ludwick in LF so far. If the team decides it has other needs, Chris could be bait.

The one thing about Chris, though, is that he plays reasonable center field. Team should have someone who can back up CF. So that makes it harder to give up a guy like Heisey.

After the Latos and Marshall trades, the minor league candidates for trade are fewer, someone like Heisey could go if a deal is to be made.

I don't see how this org. can trade Heisey until it fully believes in D. Stubbs in CF. I'm not a Stubbs basher, never have been, but the guy did K more than 200 times last year as we all know. With Sappelt gone, that makes Phipps the org's next CF if Stubbs gets hurt or can't do the job (with Heisey gone).

OldXOhio
04-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Atlanta was very publicly trying to deal him.

The only other eight words that could've been this big of a red flag to other teams were: "Beware: injury prone, tired arm, lack of control".

Vottomatic
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
mlbtraderumors.com had an article today saying Jurrjens fastball had dropped to topping out at 88.9 mph. Yikes.

MikeS21
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't see how this org. can trade Heisey until it fully believes in D. Stubbs in CF. I'm not a Stubbs basher, never have been, but the guy did K more than 200 times last year as we all know. With Sappelt gone, that makes Phipps the org's next CF if Stubbs gets hurt or can't do the job (with Heisey gone).
You might be right, but Heisey certainly isn't the answer in CF. If you think frustration with Stubbs is bad, wait until Heisey starts every day for a couple weeks.