PDA

View Full Version : DL stint looks to be a bit longer for Masset....

_Sir_Charles_
04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Nick Masset did not get the news that he wanted from the MRI that he had taken yesterday.
The injury to his shoulder is about half-healed.
“It’s a small rent on my capsule,” Masset said. “A rent is a paper cut on my capsule. It’s small strain of the capsule. Say it was 80 percent (injured). It’s probably 40 percent now. We’re trying to get it to zero, where it’s fully strong.”
The bottom line is Masset cannot resume throwing.

per Fay
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/04/26/bad-news-for-masset/

cumberlandreds
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Just saw this. I wouldn't expect him back until around the all star break. That's OK if he's 100% then. A healthy,fresh and strong Massett for the 2nd half would be a huge bonus.

HeatherC1212
04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Poor guy. That sucks. Hope he continues to heal and can get back to full health soon. :(

Benihana
04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
It sucks because it likely could mean no Chapman in the rotation anytime soon.

MikeS21
04-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Once it heals, there would be several weeks of extended spring training and rehab I'd say.

RedsManRick
04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Not good news, but not bad news either. I was worried he was going to need surgery; extended rest with confirmation that it will fix the problem is fine by me.

cumberlandreds
04-26-2012, 12:28 PM
It sucks because it likely could mean no Chapman in the rotation anytime soon.

Bray's injury may dictate that as much since he's a lefty.

WVRedsFan
04-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I really don't think either will be back until significantly after the break. Just talked to a surgeon today (orthopedic) who is a Reds fan. He says injuries like Nick's take a long time to heal. Six to eight weeks if you don't want to take chances, putting him in late June and then the rehab in AAA. His guess was the last of July or first of August. Bray? Not enough information.

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't know how much longer it will be until Masset is back, but it seems like it won't be too much longer.

So once he is back, who goes down? The choice won't be as obvious as it was in the Bray/Hoover decision. Could a trade be in the works? Could it be Ondrusek? Even though his ERA is dazzling, his walk rate is alarming to say the least. His K rate has steadily dropped as well.

At any rate, no easy answer here.

Tom Servo
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Ondrusek, especially since he should still have options. And personally, I'd be willing to cut bait on Bray (with a DFA/outright) if he doesn't show something. Would rather it not come to that but I don't consider the guy untouchable or invaluable.

Kc61
06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
It will be a tough call. I wouldn't be so fast to assume Logan Ondrusek would be sent down. He's been in the majors for quite awhile, has had a degree of success, and pitched pretty well his last couple of outings after a long rest.

Tough decision when the time comes, could be a trade. Hope there's a trade, the team has some needs. But this is not an obvious decision at all.

Bray? Ondrusek? Tough decision, will be interesting.

dfs
06-23-2012, 11:40 PM
I'd be willing to cut bait on Bray (with a DFA/outright) if he doesn't show something.

wow.
tough crowd.

VR
06-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Bray or Ondrusek might be the guys you can polish up as trade bait along with Ludwick or Heisey to bring back a quality LF/OBP guy.

Hate to see Simon or Hoover just thrown out on the scrap pile because of a numbers game.

Tom Servo
06-24-2012, 12:31 AM
wow.
tough crowd.
It's a volatile life as a reliever.

dfs
06-24-2012, 11:24 AM
It's a volatile life as a reliever.

Dude was effective enough to be second in the league in appearances last year.

DFAing him after an early season injury just seems....premature.

_Sir_Charles_
06-24-2012, 11:38 AM
You're nicer than I am..."premature". I was going to say freaking insane. :O)

lidspinner
06-24-2012, 01:12 PM
this is such a good predicament to be in, we have not had this kind of depth in awhile...while I probably wont agree with the decision on who to send down, I will agree that it will be a tough call and one that could be made a few different ways without being wrong.