PDA

View Full Version : Dmitri Young - Card Collector

oneupper
04-27-2012, 04:47 AM
Thought this would be of interest to fans of Da Meat hook and Baseball Card Collectors.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-major-leaguer-dmitri-young-is-unlikely-owner-of-huge-rookie-baseball-card-collection-.html;_ylt=AoF3MdmSMLfdwGtZOMtnFvwRvLYF

CAMARILLO, Calif. One of the nation's foremost baseball-card collectors, a self-described nerd who spent the last 13 years accumulating about 500 unblemished rookie cards of Hall of Famers, iconic achievers and interesting characters, settles into a booth at a deli and scans the menu.

dougdirt
04-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Phil Hughes of the Yankees is a big card collector as well. I have made a trade with him in the past and had a few conversations with him (all while he was in the minor leagues). I have always wondered how many Major Leaguers are actually into collecting cards once they get to the Majors. Most of them probably grew up collecting, but once you get there I wonder how 'weird' it could be. I am sure the money makes getting what you want a little easier than when you were a kid though.

cumberlandreds
04-27-2012, 07:42 AM
IIRC Gary Carter had a huge collection of cards too. If you are a big leaguer, it has to be very satisfying to see yourself on a card. I've heard more than one player say they knew they made it when they saw themselves on a baseball card.

dougdirt
04-27-2012, 08:00 AM
IIRC Gary Carter had a huge collection of cards too. If you are a big leaguer, it has to be very satisfying to see yourself on a card. I've heard more than one player say they knew they made it when they saw themselves on a baseball card.

Well, things have changed a lot in the last 10-20 years, as there are cards of draft picks out long before they ever see the Majors.

cumberlandreds
04-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, things have changed a lot in the last 10-20 years, as there are cards of draft picks out long before they ever see the Majors.

That's true. When I was still collecting the draft pick cards were just coming onto the scene. So now most get to see themselves on a card before they make the show.

Reds1
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Bummer, by the title I was hoping to unload tons of lets say "low value" Dimitri baseball cards. :)

TOBTTReds
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Bill Bray collects too. He discusses it a bunch on twitter. Think it's @B_Line45

MrCinatit
04-27-2012, 06:09 PM
That is a rather cool story...always nice to see a baseball fan who happened to have played baseball.
He is a rather smart guy going after those cards, as the article mentions. Aaron, Clemente, Kaline...those cards might go down a little bit in value at times, but not like newer cards. Too many things can happen to a "sure thing hall-of-famer" who is still playing.
There was one thing I found interesting about the article...he never mentioned going after the Dmitri Young rookie card.

Griffey012
04-27-2012, 08:03 PM
I wonder if Dmitri has all 6 of his "Topps All-Star Rookie" cards, because I am pretty sure I do. Not sure if it was really six, but I remember getting cards of him year after year when he was coming up with the Cardinals that had the little trophy on the card.

powersackers
04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Pat Neshek is a big autographed card collector. I have some old Reds doubles (Larkin, O'Neill, Dibble) in a bubble mailer ready to send him. He'll send something back is what I hear.