PDA

View Full Version : who thinks leake is any good

read favorite
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
another wasted pick

Ironman92
04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Bad start to this year.....was 2nd best starter last year???

Maker_84
04-27-2012, 09:42 PM
dude definitely has taken numerous steps back this season. awful pitcher so far. alot of players on this team have underachieved or they just plain suck and we overrated them.

read favorite
04-27-2012, 10:13 PM
should have traded for wandy instead of relied on this home grown garbage

brm7675
04-27-2012, 11:36 PM
another wasted pick

Do you know anything about this kid outside his three starts this season?

EMAW
04-28-2012, 12:19 AM
The next Greg Maddux when he was a rookie, remember that
More like (if he works at it and is willing to pay the price) the next Arroyo
Strikes me as a league average pitcher, tops out maybe with 15 wins

GoReds19
04-28-2012, 01:16 AM
another wasted pick

Wow.... Some people blow my mind.

Wonderful Monds
04-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Yet another quality Sun Deck thread

bigredmechanism
04-28-2012, 02:20 AM

Indeed.

smixsell
04-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Leake will be fine. :) You I am not so sure about. :(

Assembly Hall
04-28-2012, 09:13 AM
another wasted pick

Are you serious?

Big Red Hoss
04-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I think hes good it has just been flat out frustrating. I say send him to AAA and let Francis come up. Give leake time to work it out in the minors. And Jeff has pitched well there so far this year.

webbbj
04-28-2012, 10:42 AM
im guessing most people have not watched a full baseball season. there are 162 games **** happens there is zero reason to overreact to all this maneushia.

markymark69
04-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Leake has been very hard to figure out this season - but to say wasted pick -is going too far in the panic mode side of things. I haven't charted every game, but I believe Mesoraco has caught most, if not all, of his starts this year - it could be as simple as he hasn't found his rapport yet with him.

Baseball is all about adjustments and its time for Leake to make some. I would say he is walking a very thin line at this point to remain with the club, but to give up on him yet, I think would be a mistake.

bmwreds31
04-28-2012, 11:05 AM
For everybody that keeps bashing this thread. Let me ask you a question.

What would you do with leake if his next 3 outtings are crap as well? YOu leave him alone?

What do you do if his next 6 outtings are below avg. Unfortunately for leak. Its a what have you done for me lately kind of business. And right now is his proving time. Leak isnt a 10 yr vet. Right now is when he's suppose to be showing us if hes good enough for long haul and hes dropping the ball.

So i would say after last night is a pretty decent time to at least start worrying.

Stray
04-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Good back of the rotation pitcher in a bad stretch. Not getting a lot of help from mes and not much from his d last night. He will be fine.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

read favorite
04-28-2012, 01:45 PM
yeah no prob lem no worries

baker and the other mensa members think Leake is fine

I guess trying to win against the juggernaut Astros was too big a task for the great first round pick

smixsell
04-28-2012, 07:33 PM
For everybody that keeps bashing this thread. Let me ask you a question.

What would you do with leake if his next 3 outtings are crap as well? YOu leave him alone?

What do you do if his next 6 outtings are below avg. Unfortunately for leak. Its a what have you done for me lately kind of business. And right now is his proving time. Leak isnt a 10 yr vet. Right now is when he's suppose to be showing us if hes good enough for long haul and hes dropping the ball.

So i would say after last night is a pretty decent time to at least start worrying.

His next 3 outings won't be bad.

The Rage
04-28-2012, 07:40 PM
The league has figured Mike out. Bailey hasn't even pitched close to 100% yet and is far better.

Mike got away with a bunch of deception, but the league knows him. I would move Chapman into the rotation and send Shine up Leake down to AAA for trade in July.

brm7675
04-28-2012, 08:06 PM
The league has figured Mike out. Bailey hasn't even pitched close to 100% yet and is far better.

Mike got away with a bunch of deception, but the league knows him. I would move Chapman into the rotation and send Shine up Leake down to AAA for trade in July.

Or it could be he is a slow starter who has been in pro ball all of 2 years and 1 month...

improbus
04-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Leake will have the same ups and downs Arroyo does because he doesn't get guys to swing and miss too often.

I dug into the advanced stats on Leake and they all seemed to indicate that he is thoroughly average.

Ironman92
04-28-2012, 10:15 PM
I wonder how yesterday's game would've went if the Reds made every play on defense like they did today. The difference in defense of the two games was huge.

DirtyBaker
04-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Good back of the rotation pitcher in a bad stretch. Not getting a lot of help from mes and not much from his d last night. He will be fine.

Came to post this. Leake was pitching out of situations all night that shouldn't have happened. Defensively, the worst outing of the year. His first two starts weren't promising but no way can you count the third against him.

I'd still rather have Leake in the rotation than Bailey at this point, but he's going to need to pick it up in May. Bailey has had a lot more time to put it all together. Ideally, the worse of the two needs to give way to Chapman at some point.

lidspinner
04-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Mike can be a star if he learns to hit his spots....the problem is umpires are not giving the corners like they did back in the Maddux/Glavine/Steve Avery days....its seems that if you are not a cy young pitcher then the ump will not give you the corners like they use to....could that be just my opinion? maybe, but Leake needs to keep pitching low and away and force those grounders to the backside.....he does not throw hard enough to miss high and inside.

swaisuc
04-30-2012, 08:37 AM
I have doubted the ceiling for Leake from day 1, but I think he's still servicable as our #5. He has been better than most realize as a Red and I think he can at least hold down the fort in the 5 spot all season. I don't think he'll ever be much more than that, but that's worth something.

bounty37h
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
another wasted pick

Another wasted thread.

Girevik
04-30-2012, 10:22 AM
another wasted pick

Absoulotley. I mean, he's already in pro ball for two years and a month. If he's not dominate by now, it's time to cut ties and move on

DGullett35
04-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Every start he has had he's had 1 bad inning. Now granted that bad inning has been 4 or 5 runs but he hasn't pitched all that bad outside of 3 or 4 innings where he's been shelled. He's gonna be fine. I say give him 2 or 3 more starts and if this continues Francis may be up. No way Chapman gets into the rotation with the way he and the rest of this bullpen has been.

RedsfaninMT
04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Leake had a horrible May last year after a decent April, then put together a fine season thereafter. He sits about 0.50 behind Latos right now in ERA, so should we cut Latos as well? If he continues struggling for a couple more starts, then yes, you send him down and bring up Francis. But some of you on here are complaining about him being "average." I will gladly take an "average" pitcher as our 5th starter.

Some of these threads on Sun Deck are stupefying.

Grouse
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Thats why I prefer the Deck. ORG to many facts, not enough flavor. lol

Biff Pocoroba
04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
The guy had 12 wins and a 3.68 ERA last year (virtually identical to Cueto's numbers in year three). I can't believe that major league hitters spent their off seasons trying to figure Leake out.

He'll never have the upside of a Cueto but he's earned the right to work through a tough opening to the season - because he's proven he can be effective at the major league level. If this stretch continues, then they'll have to consider next steps. But giving up on a low salary pitcher who's been effective is not going to be on the consideration list.

redssince75
04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately for leak. Its a what have you done for me lately kind of business.

Actually, it's not. It's a 162-game season. Of all the sports, baseball is the LEAST "what have you done for me lately"? It's much more "it's a long haul" and "he'll come around".

DGullett35
05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
My question is now with the rainout vs. Chicago does Leake get sent down to Louisville for a start since arroyo will likely take his spot on thur.?? I think thats what I would do. we could bring up an arm or a bat for a couple games, give leake his scheduled start and he could possibly work on some things in that start. then the rotation could just go back to normal, or somehat normal. Bailey and Arroyo will prob. be flip flopped.

Oops I should have looked before I posted. Looks like arroyo will still get his start tonight. The rotation gets pushed back a day. I guess they figure the extra day of rest won't hurt anyone.

texasdave
05-02-2012, 12:21 PM
My question is now with the rainout vs. Chicago does Leake get sent down to Louisville for a start since arroyo will likely take his spot on thur.?? I think thats what I would do. we could bring up an arm or a bat for a couple games, give leake his scheduled start and he could possibly work on some things in that start. then the rotation could just go back to normal, or somehat normal. Bailey and Arroyo will prob. be flip flopped.

Oops I should have looked before I posted. Looks like arroyo will still get his start tonight. The rotation gets pushed back a day. I guess they figure the extra day of rest won't hurt anyone.

From Fayblog:

Johnny Cueto is scheduled to start the opener in Pittsburgh on Friday. In order to keep him on turn, the Reds would have to skip Mike Leake. Is that the plan?I think so, Baker said. Were not sure. Were discussing that.

If they skip Leake then it would be:
Arroyo - Wednesday
Bailey - Thursday
Cueto - Friday
Latos - Saturday

And then they either bring back Arroyo a day early on Sunday or slide Leake back into the rotation at that point.

alett12
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Personally i am a big fan of Leake and would like to see him stay in the big league Rotation but another bad outing or two and I'm going to start calling for Jeff Francis in the rotation, just because they would need to give Chapman time to strech back out into a starter, I do think Leake will be fine he was the reds 2nd best pitcher last season even though he was the best amoung qualifying pitchers.

read favorite
05-11-2012, 07:24 PM
another thread nailed leake total garbage

Red in Atl
05-11-2012, 07:29 PM
So far he's spotted the Nationals 3 in the first...hasn't won a game this year.

It's close to mid-May.

Is that a missle I just heard?

chuck6660
05-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Personally i am a big fan of Leake and would like to see him stay in the big league Rotation but another bad outing or two and I'm going to start calling for Jeff Francis in the rotation, just because they would need to give Chapman time to strech back out into a starter, I do think Leake will be fine he was the reds 2nd best pitcher last season even though he was the best amoung qualifying pitchers.

Being second best starter on the Reds last year isn't saying alot...better than woods, Volquez, Bailey, Willis, and an injured Arroyo. Opposing hittres have a .312 BA against Leake... 6 runs in 3 innings, so far today! I don't know rather to :lol: or :(

read favorite
05-11-2012, 08:52 PM
leake is trash as is the reds scouting department for picking this useless retread

People complain about francisco and his attitude how about a larcenous junk baller like leake
I take Volquez over leake any day , who the heck wants leake he is arroyo without the ability

DirtyBaker
05-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Leake can be very good. He just isn't right now. I have a feeling he will benefit from a stint in the minors and Chapman can the the reigns.

Tuff Nut
05-12-2012, 09:00 AM
leake is trash as is the reds scouting department for picking this useless retread

People complain about francisco and his attitude how about a larcenous junk baller like leake
I take Volquez over leake any day , who the heck wants leake he is arroyo without the ability
Voquez over Leake......you don't set your standards as high as you, do you?
Leake is pressing to much, and over throwing. A month or so at Louisville, should be in his future, After Bailey is dealt, let him do some work out of the pen.
I have more patience with Mike than Homer. Homer should've known how to pitch by last year. and still has no clue.