PDA

View Full Version : So...Pujols sure does suck right now

Tom Servo
04-28-2012, 12:47 AM
After todays 1-4 performance, which is much better than he had been doing, he's at .225 with 0 HR and 4 RBI. The heck is happening, and why couldn't it have happened when he play for St. Louis?

Also relevant

http://i.imm.io/noY4.jpeg

dougdirt
04-28-2012, 12:49 AM
April 2011 for Pujols - .245/.305/.453
2011 Season for Pujols - .299/.366/.541

Slyder
04-28-2012, 12:51 AM
After todays 1-4 performance, which is much better than he had been doing, he's at .225 with 0 HR and 4 RBI. The heck is happening, and why couldn't it have happened when he play for St. Louis?

Also relevant

http://i.imm.io/noY4.jpeg

So are you saying he doesn't have access to the "good stuff" that Mac and LaRussa have any more? :D Note sarcasm before people jump over the inference.

MikeThierry
04-28-2012, 01:18 AM
I don't know. I don't think this bat speed is slowing. He is really swinging at a lot of stuff out of the zone, which is very uncharacteristic.

Bob Borkowski
04-28-2012, 02:42 AM
I don't know. I don't think this bat speed is slowing. He is really swinging at a lot of stuff out of the zone, which is very uncharacteristic.

He's pressing, I imagine.

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2012, 02:43 AM
It really makes one sad the Cards weren't the team signing him to a massive contract instead. :(

04-28-2012, 04:01 AM
He has a lot more movement in his stance and swing these days. He used have the stoic, statue like stance, then explode on the pitch. Now he's moving all over the place until the pitch arrives.

Not really sure what that means, but it's very noticeable.

oneupper
04-28-2012, 05:24 AM
So are you saying he doesn't have access to the "good stuff" that Mac and LaRussa have any more? :D Note sarcasm before people jump over the inference.

A lot of truths are told in jest. :D Blood testing started this year (albeit very tamely). Also, the age question is back on the table.

Before April 2011, Pujols didn't have a uninjured full month (Marchs and Octobers don't count) with a below .800 OPS in the previous 10 years (July 2001) and only a few months under .900 OPS during the span.
His April 2012 OPS is .592.
He is not the same player. Why? is the question, but "he's pressing" doesn't really cut it, IMO, with a guy who's been to the postseason 7 times and three World Series.

15fan
04-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Um, he doesn't have the luxury of batting against Cincinnati pitchers on a regular basis?

:)

Tony Cloninger
04-28-2012, 09:10 AM

No sarcasm for me. It's always amazing how guys like Berkman and now the new guy.....the guy who could barely play 90 games the last 4 years.....can come in and look like a new person ...just like that.

mbgrayson
04-28-2012, 09:43 AM
I wonder about the ballpark effects. I watched parts of several Angels games, and saw Pujols hit several deep fly balls that looked they would be gone, only have to have them be caught on the track.

However, looking up ballpark effeccts for Busch vs. Angels Stadium, there is supposedly very little difference.

What about Albert trying to adjust to almost completely new pitching?

It will be interesting to revisit this thread later in the season....

JaxRed
04-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I saw a site a few days ago that showed various stats like amount of balls out the strike zone that he he swings at. All the bad stats have been increasing the last three or 4 years. It's simple.... he's getting older and his bat isn't as quick so he has to commit sooner.

This isn't steroids, this isn't the AL, this isn't the park.... and it isn't a fluke. It's aging. He'll recover this season, but the overall numbers will be down from last year. Lather, rinse, repeat... it's all downhill from here.

mth123
04-28-2012, 09:50 AM
I wonder about the ballpark effects. I watched parts of several Angels games, and saw Pujols hit several deep fly balls that looked they would be gone, only have to have them be caught on the track.

However, looking up ballpark effeccts for Busch vs. Angels Stadium, there is supposedly very little difference.

What about Albert trying to adjust to almost completely new pitching?

It will be interesting to revisit this thread later in the season....

I think there is no question that the AL West is the worst Division for a hitter. I don't really believe what those ballpark effects stats say. The difference is pretty dramatic from the NL Central to the AL West IMO.

Pujols will adjust. I wouldn't be surprised if he roars back and ends up player of the month in May.

_Sir_Charles_
04-28-2012, 09:58 AM
This isn't steroids, this isn't the AL, this isn't the park.... and it isn't a fluke. It's aging. He'll recover this season, but the overall numbers will be down from last year. Lather, rinse, repeat... it's all downhill from here.

This combined with an early season slump. I think it's as simple as this.

Ghosts of 1990
04-28-2012, 10:13 AM
He has a lot more movement in his stance and swing these days. He used have the stoic, statue like stance, then explode on the pitch. Now he's moving all over the place until the pitch arrives.

Not really sure what that means, but it's very noticeable.

I noticed the same thing and I wonder if there isn't more to it.

Vottomatic
04-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Age. New league - the AL. Pitchers he hasn't seen regularly that he has to adjust to. Lots of reasons. Or simply, he isn't getting anything to hit but still swinging anyway. Same problem Votto has..........they don't throw him anything to hit.

Tom Servo
04-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Another 0-4 day and an Angels loss, Pujols now down to a .216 batting average.

Vottomatic
04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
One can only wish he were still a Cardinal.

Brutus
04-29-2012, 04:45 PM
He's never had fewer than 5 homers in the month of April until this year (or so it would appear with only a couple days left). His OPS is over 200 points lower than any previous April he's ever had.

redsmetz
05-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Joe Poz has an interesting blog piece on Pujols today.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2012/05/capital-t-rhymes-with-p-stands-for.html

PuffyPig
05-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Age. New league - the AL. Pitchers he hasn't seen regularly that he has to adjust to. Lots of reasons. Or simply, he isn't getting anything to hit but still swinging anyway. Same problem Votto has..........they don't throw him anything to hit.

Yet Votto has continued to post an OPS north of .900 (1.056 now).

They haven't thrown much to Pujols his whole career. The secret is not swinging at crap. if you don't they will eventually throw you strikes. It doesn't pay to walk any player every time up.

wheels
05-14-2012, 06:42 PM
No way to prove anything, but I've always felt he was lying about his age. I don't think he was the product of anything more nefarious than that. He was simply doing what a lot ballplayers from the Dominican Republic have done for ages (heck, I lie about my age all the time).

It's catching up to him now. That's really the only logical explanation for his state of affairs. Can't say I really blame him, though.

Dan
05-15-2012, 06:33 AM
No way to prove anything, but I've always felt he was lying about his age. I don't think he was the product of anything more nefarious than that. He was simply doing what a lot ballplayers from the Dominican Republic have done for ages (heck, I lie about my age all the time).

It's catching up to him now. That's really the only logical explanation for his state of affairs. Can't say I really blame him, though.

Sort of. My guess is he's 3-4 years older. And the guilt of signing a 10 year deal knowing your skills will decline sooner rather than later has to weigh on anyone. So the "fix" is to try harder. Except baseball is a game where trying harder only makes it worse.

RichRed
05-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Pujols's slump is apparently contagious. The Angels have now been shut out 8 times in their first 36 games.