PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 4/28

chicoruiz
04-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Reds:

Barry Larkin (48)

Tom Browning (52) -It's impossible to find something new to write about these two guys. You know as much, or probably more about them than I do.

Pedro Ramos (77) -Came up as a starter with the Senators, then was traded to the Yankees and had an ultra-hot streak for them in late 1964 as a reliever. Because he was acquired after the August 31 deadline, however, he was ineligible for the World Series, which the Yankees lost in seven. Very fast runner. His Reds season was 1969.

Red Lucas -Fine pitcher who won 19 for the 1929 Reds. Once pitched 27 consecutive complete games. Also a career .281 hitter who played some 2B in his early years in the bigs.

Others:

David Freese (29) -I kind of hate how the Cardinals keep coming up with these guys.

Charlie Metro -Best known for two brief stints as a manager; one with the early Kansas City Royals and one as part of the Cubs infamous "College of Coaches". For those of you that missed it, in the early '60s Cubs management had the bright idea that instead of a regular manager they'd employ a group of coaches who'd take turns running the team. It's unclear what thy hoped to accomplish by this, but it worked just about as well as you'd imagine it would.

oneupper
04-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Those early '60s Cubs teams were pretty awful no matter who was managing. Kind of hard to pin the blame on the college system.

Bob Borkowski
04-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Red Lucas - Once pitched 27 consecutive complete games.

I simply can't get past this stat. Pretty darned remarkable.