PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

BCubb2003
04-28-2012, 11:49 PM
They say you should have a short memory after a bad game but I say you should learn something.

"Resign" is one of those words that sometimes means the opposite of itself.

How did Cleveland go from consecutive sellouts back to Randy Quaid in "Major League"?

It looks like the only way to beat the Cardinals is to have not signed someone like Albert Pujols.

In 20 years, what will Zack Cozart's rookie card be worth?

If Stephen Strasburg faced Bryce Harper, who would win?

Say what you want, but I think Joe Nuxhall was rushed.

redsmetz
04-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Ya think? [Dontcha know there's a war on, boy?]

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/179234/Joe_Nuxhall.jpg

The wonder of it is that Nuxie was able to finally make it back to the team and had a pretty decent career.

Funny comment still.

elfmanvt07
04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
They say you should have a short memory after a bad game but I say you should learn something.

"Resign" is one of those words that sometimes means the opposite of itself.

How did Cleveland go from consecutive sellouts back to Randy Quaid in "Major League"?

It looks like the only way to beat the Cardinals is to have not signed someone like Albert Pujols.

In 20 years, what will Zack Cozart's rookie card be worth?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19647999.jpg

BCubb2003
04-29-2012, 10:14 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19647999.jpg

Sorry. Some thoughts are more random than others.

_Sir_Charles_
04-29-2012, 11:29 AM

If I had to guess, I'd say the Nationals. :beerme:

Yachtzee
04-30-2012, 12:38 PM

The Browns came back. Clevelanders always seem to flock to the Browns despite decades of mediocrity. The Indians have to be good to be loved, and it helps when the Browns move to Baltimore.

wolfboy
04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
The Browns came back. Clevelanders always seem to flock to the Browns despite decades of mediocrity. The Indians have to be good to be loved, and it helps when the Browns move to Baltimore.

Odd. The Reds didn't get an attendance bump when Cincinnati was without pro football in the 90s/early 2000s.

Hoosier Red
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Odd. The Reds didn't get an attendance bump when Cincinnati was without pro football in the 90s/early 2000s.

Talking with a friend of mine who is from Pittsburgh, I think the Steelers v. Bengals and Reds v. Pirates attendance issues are actually linked more than you could imagine.

Last year, when the Pirates had made a number of moves toward mediocrity, remember when the Pirates actually had a pulse? A hot streak immediately after the all star game had moved them to first place on July 18th. They drew pretty pedestrian crowds for the first 3 games against Cincinnati, but they averaged 37,706 over the next two weekend home series. Of course by the end of the 2nd home series(against San Diego) they were in the midst of a 10 game losing streak and had fallen to 10 games out. So the crowds didn't return.

My point is that, it generally takes almost half a season for Reds fans to get as fired up as it took Pirates fans about two weeks to build.
The reason in my mind is that Cincinnati sports fans are conditioned to defeat. We know how hard it is to win on a consistent basis, and we know that our teams are unlikely to get there. "so why bother"

Pittsburgh fans psyche's are not as easily destroyed. They know winning isn't that difficult. The Pirates cheap owners just need to act more like the Rooneys and the Penguins owners. If they cared even a little bit, the reasoning goes, they'd be able to compete year in year out. So every positive streak over 10 games is likely to be the one that starts things off for the Pirates.

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Talking with a friend of mine who is from Pittsburgh, I think the Steelers v. Bengals and Reds v. Pirates attendance issues are actually linked more than you could imagine.

Last year, when the Pirates had made a number of moves toward mediocrity, remember when the Pirates actually had a pulse? A hot streak immediately after the all star game had moved them to first place on July 18th. They drew pretty pedestrian crowds for the first 3 games against Cincinnati, but they averaged 37,706 over the next two weekend home series. Of course by the end of the 2nd home series(against San Diego) they were in the midst of a 10 game losing streak and had fallen to 10 games out. So the crowds didn't return.

My point is that, it generally takes almost half a season for Reds fans to get as fired up as it took Pirates fans about two weeks to build.
The reason in my mind is that Cincinnati sports fans are conditioned to defeat. We know how hard it is to win on a consistent basis, and we know that our teams are unlikely to get there. "so why bother"

Pittsburgh fans psyche's are not as easily destroyed. They know winning isn't that difficult. The Pirates cheap owners just need to act more like the Rooneys and the Penguins owners. If they cared even a little bit, the reasoning goes, they'd be able to compete year in year out. So every positive streak over 10 games is likely to be the one that starts things off for the Pirates.

When it comes to the Pirates, I think it's more that they're starved for anything good happening. Quite a few people in NE Ohio/Western PA are Steelers fans for football, but fans of the Indians, Reds or Yankees for baseball. Of course, in this area football is king. It goes, NFL-NCAA-High School Football-MLB-Other Sports.

guttle11
05-01-2012, 01:20 AM
When it comes to the Pirates, I think it's more that they're starved for anything good happening. Quite a few people in NE Ohio/Western PA are Steelers fans for football, but fans of the Indians, Reds or Yankees for baseball. Of course, in this area football is king. It goes, NFL-NCAA-High School Football-MLB-Other Sports.

High school football is bigger than college in that area. People love Ohio State or Penn State, or whoever, but most didn't attend those schools. They stick by their HS alma mater. The craziest, most loyal fans in the world are Massillon, McKinley, Cardinal Mooney, St Eds, St Ignatius fans. The same applies in Western PA. It can also be said for Cincinnati (Moeller/Elder/StX/Colerain), parts of Dayton, and rural Western Ohio towns like Coldwater, Maria Stein and Versailles.

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 02:17 AM
High school football is bigger than college in that area. People love Ohio State or Penn State, or whoever, but most didn't attend those schools. They stick by their HS alma mater. The craziest, most loyal fans in the world are Massillon, McKinley, Cardinal Mooney, St Eds, St Ignatius fans. The same applies in Western PA. It can also be said for Cincinnati (Moeller/Elder/StX/Colerain), parts of Dayton, and rural Western Ohio towns like Coldwater, Maria Stein and Versailles.

That's definitely true for people who went to those schools, but I'd say the Buckeyes still rule the roost for most people, even though a lot of them didn't go there. On my street, I'd say it's 60% Browns, 30% Steelers, 10% other when it comes to NFL, but 95% Buckeyes for college football. We follow Stow High School, but mainly because half the high school coaching staff lives on our street. The Cleveland Plain Dealer and Akron Beacon Journal sports pages run plenty of stuff on the Buckeyes, mainly because a lot of local kids end up playing football there.