PDA

View Full Version : Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

top6
04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
So apparently the Moerlein Lager House (http://www.moerleinlagerhouse.com/) at the Banks/Smale Riverfront Park ran an ad in City Beat identifying itself as "Wrigley South" in connection with the upcoming Cubs series. It has been discussed various places on the internet, including Lance McCalister's blog (http://www.700wlw.com/pages/lancesBlog.html) (you need to scroll down). Moerlein House has offered an explanation on their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/moerleinlagerhouse), which I will quote here in the interest of presenting their side:

Hey everyone. hold up a sec! Yeah, we admit it might have been a little confusing, but "Wrigley South" is A RALLY FOR OUR REDS! It's a chance to cheer on our Reds and give visiting Cubs fans a taste of what makes Cincinnati so special! We are REDS through and through...always and forever! We're not selling any Old Style beer here either we are exporting Cincinnati!

I have to say that explanation makes absolutely no sense, especially if you look at the ad, and especially if you consider (as one of the many almost universally negative commenters on Facebook points out) that "Wrigley South" is a term made up be Cubs fans to insult Reds fans. (I mean, on my list of things are terrible about Cubs fans, Old Style would be about 10000th on the list. I'd actually be fine with them bringing in Old Style.)

I am a big supporter of the Banks, Smale Park, and downtown generally, and up until now I have loved the Lager House, but this is pretty sad. I certainly wouldn't support a boycott or anything formal like that, but as Reds fans maybe consider getting a drink at one of the many other downtown bars the next time you are down there.

Caveat Emperor
04-30-2012, 01:22 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Chicago fans can flood the city. Their money spends just as well as anyone elses, and the city can use any kind of commerce

dougdirt
04-30-2012, 01:27 PM
While I agree with CE about their money and the city needing it, I don't like catering to them.

Plus Plus
04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
I really can't figure out why they didn't choose one of several other potential marketing ideas that would have actually been promotional for the Reds. Two ideas that immediately came to mind were "the great american lager house" or, if they really want that "old-time" type feel, maybe "New Crosley?"

A confusing and poor marketing plan, in my opinion.

westofyou
04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Weak

It's this sort of stuff that plays into the teams attendance issues

Local business can profit from visiting fans, but posturing to obtain them at the expense of the local nine is a giant FAIL

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-30-2012, 01:49 PM
I know I'll be taking my pre/post-game business to Holy Grail, InBetween or elsewhere tomorrow night. Moerlein Lager House hasn't been open three months and they've already annoyed a portion of Reds fans - their primary customers.

They do this for the Steelers and I'll never set foot in there again.

medford
04-30-2012, 02:12 PM
What's the last thing Jesus said to the Cubs? Don't do a darn thing until I get back :)

much ado about nothing in my mind. While I'm on record stating that their prices seem about $2 too high, the reviews have been good, and I hope the place succeeds. If getting fans of oppossing teams into their place helps build the place as a "must visit" place for people visiting the city, I hope it works. I hope it helps give the area more of a buzz both before and following games. The larger the buzz, the more butts in the stands as time progresses.

Cub fans can be loud and annoying, but when you can shut up someone as easily as asking how their last century has been, they're not much more than the gnat in the world of fandom.

top6
04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Latest from their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/#!/moerleinlagerhouse):

Fans:

We admit the upcoming promotion for the next Reds series was unfortunately misguided with respect to message, and we are truly sorry and apologize if we've offended any fans.

Our intention was to help cheer on our Reds and give visiting Cubs fans a taste of what makes Cincinnati so special, showcasing our great new riverfront and our city and to bring positive exposure to it. It was not intended to root for the away team, and we apologize if it was taken that way. We are Reds fans through and through. We are going to call this promotional event what it was truly intended to be "a rally for our Reds."

WMR
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
BACKPEDAL BACKPEDAL BACKPEDAL

:lol:

gonelong
04-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Somewhere, somebody is looking at the rest of the group and saying, "I told you so!".

GL

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 02:52 PM
As I understand it the ad was in (Cincinnati's) City Beat. It's not like the ad ran in Chicago. I take it to be directed towards Cincinnati fans and encourage them to party at the Lager House like they would at the Cubby Bear or one of the watering holes surrounding Wrigley Field

fearofpopvol1
04-30-2012, 03:04 PM
When the Cubs are lousy, the fans don't come out in quite the same droves. With that said, the Reds have been playing better ball lately, and still the fans don't come out in droves. :(

It's sad to watch on TV. I guess the weather had been a little cooler and the kiddies are still in school, but let's hope this changes soon.

The Operator
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
As I understand it the ad was in (Cincinnati's) City Beat. It's not like the ad ran in Chicago. I take it to be directed towards Cincinnati fans and encourage them to party at the Lager House like they would at the Cubby Bear or one of the watering holes surrounding Wrigley FieldYou may be right, but to assume any self respecting Reds fan would purposely emulate anything at all about a Cubs fan is still a serious miscalculation on their part.

Would a bar in Columbus hope to attract Buckeye fans by billing itself as "Ann Arbor South!"? You might be right but the whole thing screams of "oops!" and a whole lot of transparent back-pedaling from the place.

The Operator
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Just saw the actual ad on Lance's blog. I'm sorry but they screwed up, bad. They should just admit it and be done, instead of continuing to try and use that lame "no, we meant that to rally Reds fans, duh!" excuse.

http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/4977/04/4977_1335788970.jpg

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
You may be right, but to assume any self respecting Reds fan would purposely emulate anything at all about a Cubs fan is still a serious miscalculation on their part.

Would a bar in Columbus hope to attract Buckeye fans by billing itself as "Ann Arbor South!"? You might be right but the whole thing screams of "oops!" and a whole lot of transparent back-pedaling from the place.

Yeah, you make great points. I guess I've always envied what they have around Wrigley. I said a long time ago as they were planning the stadia on our river that I wanted it to be hoppin' like Wrigleyville does. I think they were catering to folks like me by saying "the wait is over. We're now a happenin' place like we envisioned 15 yrs ago."

reds1869
04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Several of us who live around the ballpark have commented on how game nights have something of a "Wrigleyville" feel with The Banks starting to boom. I think that is what the ad was getting at and that is how I took it until the uproar started. I honestly think Moerlein meant what they said in their apology, but I also think they missed the advertising mark badly when I see how many people took it badly.

The Operator
04-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah, you make great points. I guess I've always envied what they have around Wrigley. I said a long time ago as they were planning the stadia on our river that I wanted it to be hoppin' like Wrigleyville does. I think they were catering to folks like me by saying "the wait is over. We're now a happenin' place like we envisioned 15 yrs ago."I would probably be in your same camp if we're talking about Wrigleyville prior to say, 1995ish I'm guessing. But the people who fill the stands and the streets now just seem like types who go to the game for no other reason than to get drunk, and probably couldn't tell you 50% of the Cubs starting lineup.

Blitz Dorsey
04-30-2012, 03:43 PM
I know it's the new hot spot around the park, but I will never go there after a Reds game now. Very disappointing.

BCubb2003
04-30-2012, 04:18 PM
The only thing that will save them now is to buy the rights to "RedsZone: For Reds fans, by Reds fans."

Roy Tucker
04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
They messed up bad but they've admitted their mistake amd apologized.

As far as I'm concerned, all is well. No harm, no foul. Hope they learned a marketing lesson. And they'll continue to get my business.

Caveat Emperor
04-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Incidentally, there's a fantastic twitter hashtag that's been going on all day: #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

"Sam Carpenter's 10th Birthday Bash (Presented by dad, Chris Carpenter)" #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Aaron Harang Halloween Costume Party #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Bronson Arroyo Inflatable Doll Night (First 10,000 Women Over 40) #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

"Musical Chairs" on ladies night with guest hosts Ray King and Austin Kearns #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Tony LaRussa Lifetime Achievement Celebration #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

'Dynamic Pricing' Seminar" #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Get Drunk Off Our $9 BeersAnd Burn The Reds Hall of Fame To The Ground (but please leave by 11:30) Night! #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

"Bring Back Steve Stewart to the #Reds on Radio" Rally Night. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Leftover TO & Ochocinco Jersey Sale Night. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #bengals

Nickelback Pre-Game Concert Night. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #reds

"St. Louis Cardinals: home of the best fans in baseball" banner unveiling. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #Reds

Eric Milton game-used homerun ball giveaway. (Don't worry, we have plenty of them) ... #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #Reds

Bill Hall Appreciation Night. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #reds

2003 Cincinnati Reds Reunion. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Akili Smith number retirement ceremony. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

"Roseanne Barr Appreciation Night" #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #Reds

paintmered
04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
For a company that is selling its brand on its attachment to Cincinnati, this is beyond stupid.

Sorry, you can't claim to be authentically Cincinnati and then run an ad like that. I won't say that I'll never go back, but I will wait longer to return than I would have otherwise. Really poor judgement.

edabbs44
04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
That is pretty lame. Could you imagine if a NY bar put and advert in the Post calling itself Fenway South? They'd be closed in a month.

top6
04-30-2012, 06:31 PM
That is pretty lame. Could you imagine if a NY bar put and advert in the Post calling itself Fenway South? They'd be closed in a month.

Well I sort of disagree. I think in the New York market, there is room for a Red Sox bar, which will draw Red Sox fans every night. (There are probably many such bars.) There may even be Boston sports bars in Cincinnati.

But the Moerlein house due to its location by necessity has to market to Reds fans, so this was a really questionable thing to do. They are insulting their main fans to, possibly, draw in a few extra fans a few days out of the year.

That said, they did apologize, and I am pretty confident they will never do this again. As I said in the first post, maybe consider getting a drink at Holy Grail, Toby Keith's, In Between Tavern, O'Malley's, or one of many bars downtown within walking distance. But there is certainly no need to boycott Moerlein. It is a really cool place that Cincinnati should be proud of.

mdccclxix
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Wow, there's really no way out of what they did, just watching the calendar turn another day is their only hope. I thought this thread would indeed be about how the atmosphere is getting fun down there, but whoops!

Boycotters of this would be taking themselves quite seriously though.

powersackers
04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Minus the fans I love Wrigley Field. My first game there was in the bleachers and internally a near religious experience. But then I caught a ball thrown up by Corey Patterson and I spent the rest of the game taking crap and watching my back because it bounced of some Cub Fan's girlfriend before I caught it and they felt it was hers. Oh and the ad is in bad taste but apologies are enough for me.

camisadelgolf
04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Stupid, stupid idea on their part. Boycotting them is silly, though.

For anyone who hasn't been there on game days, expect long lines at the door, slow-but-friendly service, good food, great beer, great views of the city, and a large bill. I'll go again but probably not on a day when the Cubs are in town.

paintmered
04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Reading through their Facebook page, it looks like their marketing folks are out of Indianapolis. Perhaps they were simply ignorant to the locals' understanding of "Wrigley South"?

Joseph
04-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Stupid, stupid idea on their part. Boycotting them is silly, though.

For anyone who hasn't been there on game days, expect long lines at the door, slow-but-friendly service, good food, great beer, great views of the city, and a large bill. I'll go again but probably not on a day when the Cubs are in town.

So they are overpriced, slow, and it takes a long time to get in, plus...they are reaching out to Cubs fans, yet I should still go there?

No thanks.

KittyDuran
04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Bronson Arroyo Inflatable Doll Night (First 10,000 Women Over 40) #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

I want one... I want one! :luvu:

camisadelgolf
04-30-2012, 08:21 PM
So they are overpriced, slow, and it takes a long time to get in, plus...they are reaching out to Cubs fans, yet I should still go there?

No thanks.
No one should go there. But lots of people who haven't been there would love it.

BCubb2003
04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
No one should go there. But lots of people who haven't been there would love it.

Is that you, Yogi?

camisadelgolf
04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Is that you, Yogi?
If you ask me a question I don't know, I'm not going to answer.

Johnny Footstool
04-30-2012, 10:13 PM
I know it's the new hot spot around the park, but I will never go there after a Reds game now. Very disappointing.

That's kind of silly. Yes, they made a stupid marketing mistake, but if you want to go there, you should still do it. You should at least go and ask for a free apology beer.

wheels
04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm totally going to ask for an apology beer.

I bet they give me one.

KronoRed
04-30-2012, 10:42 PM
I don't see whats to be so upset about, if the Cubs didn't pack the Reds park repeatedly this probably wouldn't be a marketing gimmick.

dougdirt
04-30-2012, 10:54 PM
I don't see whats to be so upset about, if the Cubs didn't pack the Reds park repeatedly this probably wouldn't be a marketing gimmick.

You don't see a problem with a Cincinnati based establishment within a baseballs throw of the Reds stadium catering to opposing fans?

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
That's a shame. I'm a big fan of Christian Moerlein. Seeing the ad, I don't see how anyone can view it as anything other than marketing for the Cubs fans.

Maybe as an apology to Reds fans, they should change the name of the place to "Burgerville (http://www.burgerbeer.com/main.html)" for the Cubs series. For those who don't know, Waite Hoyt used to refer to the Sun Deck at Crosley Field as "Burgerville" for Reds sponsor Burger Beer.

KronoRed
05-01-2012, 12:51 AM
You don't see a problem with a Cincinnati based establishment within a baseballs throw of the Reds stadium catering to opposing fans?

Nope, they probably know from experience that Cub fans will be out in force.

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 12:52 AM

It shouldn't have been a marketing gimmick in the first place. Cincinnatians are the lifeblood for the place. Don't do something to tick them off just for a boost over a three game series. Who does the marketing for them, Herb Tarlek and Arthur Carlson?

If I were running Moerlein Lager House, I'd seriously think about a) getting a new marketing firm, pronto, and b) coming up with some big event to counter the bad pr.

KronoRed
05-01-2012, 12:56 AM
I think you're overestimating the casual fan giving two flips about this or never going to the place again because of it, but I guess we'll see.

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 01:11 AM
I think you're overestimating the casual fan giving two flips about this or never going to the place again because of it, but I guess we'll see.

I would say that a lot of Reds fans would avoid the place, at least during the Cubs series, just so that they don't have to deal with a bunch of annoying Cubs fans.

camisadelgolf
05-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Nope. It's a business, just like the Cincinnati Reds. And I have news for you: the Reds don't care about you unless you're willing to spend money on them. You owe them no allegiance (unless you want to).

GAC
05-01-2012, 05:09 AM
expect long lines at the door, slow-but-friendly service, good food, great beer, great views of the city, and a large bill.

Haven't had the opportunity yet to go there, would love to, but the above is why I "boycott" these places on game day. Not because of a wrong-headed ad done without first engaging the brain.

GAC
05-01-2012, 05:12 AM
I would say that a lot of Reds fans would avoid the place, at least during the Cubs series, just so that they don't have to deal with a bunch of annoying Cubs fans.

I got a buddy who makes up these really nifty little stink bombs. Yeah it's childish, but every once in awhile he'll drop one at work, on the assembly line, to "liven" up the place. Man do they smell horrid!

We can always pay a quick visit to Wrigley South! :D

I really miss SCRedsFan. Been to a RZ get-together with him when they played the Cubs. He hated the Cubs (fans) with a passion not matched by many, and let them know it when any walked in the bar.

Matt700wlw
05-01-2012, 06:11 AM
What will we whine about next week?

I(heart)Freel
05-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Ill conceived and horribly executed ad.

Outrage! We demand an apology!

Apology.

Disdain! Boycott!

Im the first to say it was a dumb marketing ad. But. It. Was. An. Ad. People are acting like their girlfriend was just slapped in the face by the ghost of Christian Moerlein himself. Ridonkulous.

I'll be at the Lager House at least twice this week. Wearing Red. Enjoying the beer and the fact that we finally have a great watering hole near the stadium after all these years of the awful In Between.

mdccclxix
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Nope. It's a business, just like the Cincinnati Reds. And I have news for you: the Reds don't care about you unless you're willing to spend money on them. You owe them no allegiance (unless you want to).

That's very untrue. Don't you think they've been in the business of winning fans/customers for the last 5 years? Don't you think a business's reputation is vital to them? If you think Moerlein is privately stewing about the whiny reaction of Cincinnatians who won't let them make a buck on Cubs fans, you're wrong. They realize they won't be marketing to any visiting teams from here on out or they'll become the most hated bar in America. Would you really be okay if our proud Cincinnati brewery became a series of visiting teams landing spots? What would a bar like that do for customers the rest of the year?

That leads me to what I think they were trying to say, which reds1869 mentioned, is that the Banks is becoming like Wrigleyville, lots of fun and drinking. I do not think they were trying to lure Cubs fans to root for the Cubs, although many people do, so I may be wrong. To me, that is a mistake on another level, but I don't believe that is what they wanted to do. Even in their attempt to call it a "Rally for our Reds!!!!" they show how hokey and disconnected they are from the sort of fandom that drives long term interest. It's that level of disconnection that continues to make it seem like they are just stupid and not just cut throat and greedy.

Sea Ray
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
I think it's a tribute to the Lager House that there's been such an uproar over this. It shows people care deeply about that place, claim it as their own and will defend it as Cincinnati's as in "hey Cubs fans, keep out of our place". In other words, if the In Between Tavern ran an ad like that, no one would have cared.

TOBTTReds
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I think it's a tribute to the Cincinnatians/Great American Ball Park/The Banks that there's been such an uproar over this. It shows people care deeply about that place, claim it as their own and will defend it as Cincinnati's as in "hey Cubs fans, keep out of our place".

Fixed this for you.

It's not just a Lager House thing. I think it's more about Cincinnat, and the Banks. Any business south of 2nd Street seems to "Belong to the Reds." They are the number one business partner and customer supplier for all those places now. Anything on 3rd street or north, doesn't really relate to the Reds as much. Sure some bars do, but definitely not as substantial as anything at The Banks.

Sea Ray
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Fixed this for you.

It's not just a Lager House thing. I think it's more about Cincinnat, and the Banks. Any business south of 2nd Street seems to "Belong to the Reds." They are the number one business partner and customer supplier for all those places now. Anything on 3rd street or north, doesn't really relate to the Reds as much. Sure some bars do, but definitely not as substantial as anything at The Banks.

That's your opinion and that's fine but that's not what I said so why "fix it" so it looks like mine? :dunno:

TOBTTReds
05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
That's your opinion and that's fine but that's not what I said so why "fix it" so it looks like mine? :dunno:

Sorry, common occurance on other boards I frequent. Nothing personal, and that's why I bolded and noted first that I "fixed it." Didn't mean to literally put words in your mouth (or post). I just thought everything about your post was spot on, except for who it was giving credit to, so I just made that change.

edabbs44
05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Sorry, common occurance on other boards I frequent. Nothing personal, and that's why I bolded and noted first that I "fixed it." Didn't mean to literally put words in your mouth (or post). I just thought everything about your post was spot on, except for who it was giving credit to, so I just made that change.

I'm boycotting your posts.

Johnny Footstool
05-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I got a buddy who makes up these really nifty little stink bombs. Yeah it's childish, but every once in awhile he'll drop one at work, on the assembly line, to "liven" up the place. Man do they smell horrid!

We can always pay a quick visit to Wrigley South! :D

I really miss SCRedsFan. Been to a RZ get-together with him when they played the Cubs. He hated the Cubs (fans) with a passion not matched by many, and let them know it when any walked in the bar.

Make sure you ask for your apology beer first. If they turn you down, it might be time to liven up the place.

Gainesville Red
05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't really have a problem with this. They wouldn't do it if it they didn't think it'd be profitable.

I may be apathetic because I live in New York City. As someone's noted, it is a bigger, more diverse market. There are bars for literally every team (and every other niche) you can think of. And they're all full when that team's playing.

Wouldn't do it if they didn't make money. If you don't want there to be a Cubs fan bar, pack the bar. Or go to another bar. Vote with your dollars.

Gainesville Red
05-01-2012, 06:30 PM
P.S.: There's a restaurant in Gainesville that has Florida State football viewing parties every week of college football season.

I grew up in Gainesville and went to the University of Floirida. I've been in Cincinnati for Cubs games.

Gainesville wins a contest of who hates their rival more. Hands down. Yet there's still a market. Make that money. Stack that cheddar.

REDblooded
05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Best way to make it right? Discounted brews to anybody wearing Reds apparel during the series.

Second best way to make it right? Brew a seasonal that tastes terrible and name it "Loser lager"... "This is what 100 plus years of losing tastes like"

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I lived in Chicago and have been to bars that cater to fans of other teams, mostly for viewing parties for transplants to Chicago who want to watch their teams' games. They even have a Miami University bar. I think the difference here is that it's an establishment right next to GABP. You would never, ever see the Cubby Bear or Murphy's Bleachers having a Reds Night when the Reds were in town. If they did, they might as well close up shop right then and there.

During baseball season, the vast majority of the MLH business is going come from Reds fans going to or coming from games rather than fans of other teams coming in for viewing parties. Turn off your main customer base and you can just forget about doing good business on game days. It's one thing if this was a bar in Clifton trying to bring in college kids from Chicago and Indiana. A bar that relies on game day business is something else.

REDblooded
05-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Not to mention that their beers are on tap at GABP...

Hoosier Red
05-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Best way to make it right? Discounted brews to anybody wearing Reds apparel during the series.

Second best way to make it right? Brew a seasonal that tastes terrible and name it "Loser lager"... "This is what 100 plus years of losing tastes like"

But what will they call Old Style then?

Hoosier Red
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I lived in Chicago and have been to bars that cater to fans of other teams, mostly for viewing parties for transplants to Chicago who want to watch their teams' games. They even have a Miami University bar. I think the difference here is that it's an establishment right next to GABP. You would never, ever see the Cubby Bear or Murphy's Bleachers having a Reds Night when the Reds were in town. If they did, they might as well close up shop right then and there.

During baseball season, the vast majority of the MLH business is going come from Reds fans going to or coming from games rather than fans of other teams coming in for viewing parties. Turn off your main customer base and you can just forget about doing good business on game days. It's one thing if this was a bar in Clifton trying to bring in college kids from Chicago and Indiana. A bar that relies on game day business is something else.

I don't know, last year I went to a game at Wrigley and the rooftop across the street had a bunch of big red M flags displayed which I assumed meant that it was a party fo Miami of Ohio,(perhaps I'm wrong) but if I'm right, I assume they didn't choose that game to match up with a game the Reds were in town on accident.

Sea Ray
05-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I mentioned this to my wife for a non sports fan perspective and her response was "what is it with Reds fans? First it's the UK Night that ticks them off, now this?"

I think we need to have thicker skins.

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't know, last year I went to a game at Wrigley and the rooftop across the street had a bunch of big red M flags displayed which I assumed meant that it was a party fo Miami of Ohio,(perhaps I'm wrong) but if I'm right, I assume they didn't choose that game to match up with a game the Reds were in town on accident.

Actually, most of the Miami grads I knew got apartments in Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park and immediately became Cubs fans. The cool thing to do was to camp out for Bleacher seats when they first go on sale, even though most of them couldn't name more Cubs than Mark Grace and Sammy Sosa.

Most of the rooftops are just rental space not associated with a bar, rented to private parties.

paintmered
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't really have a problem with this. They wouldn't do it if it they didn't think it'd be profitable.

I may be apathetic because I live in New York City. As someone's noted, it is a bigger, more diverse market. There are bars for literally every team (and every other niche) you can think of. And they're all full when that team's playing.

Wouldn't do it if they didn't make money. If you don't want there to be a Cubs fan bar, pack the bar. Or go to another bar. Vote with your dollars.

The problem with it is, the Christian Moerlein brand is built on identifying with Cincinnati. This isn't like Martino's being a Steelers bar (which I have no problem with). Instead, think of the Lager House as it is akin to a Sam Adams brewpub adjacent to Fenway.

westofyou
05-01-2012, 10:01 PM
The problem with it is, the Christian Moerlein brand is basically built on identifying with Cincinnati. This isn't like Martino's being a Steelers bar, but instead akin to a Sam Adams brewpub in Boston across adjacent to Fenway.

Bingo... anybody with a sense of history and the city should be at least a tad disappointed in this.

It's not a "deal breaker" but it's also a show of ignorance that falls squarely in the lap of the management of the place.

They should be puckering up and looking for Glutes for quite some time in the city as far as I'm concerned

Sea Ray
05-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Channel 12 ran a poll tonight asking if Cincinnati fans were too sensitive and 60% said yes we are:

http://www.local12.com/default.aspx

I tend to concur. Being too sensitive as a fan is not something I'm proud of

dabvu2498
05-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Bingo... anybody with a sense of history and the city should be at least a tad disappointed in this.

It's not a "deal breaker" but it's also a show of ignorance that falls squarely in the lap of the management of the place.

They should be puckering up and looking for Glutes for quite some time in the city as far as I'm concerned

Agreed. In the short term, a "Wrigley South" series might help, but to survive October-March, they're going to need repeat business -- locals. Doing ANYTHING to alienate potential customers was a bad, bad play.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-02-2012, 03:10 AM
The problem with it is, the Christian Moerlein brand is built on identifying with Cincinnati. This isn't like Martino's being a Steelers bar (which I have no problem with). Instead, think of the Lager House as it is akin to a Sam Adams brewpub adjacent to Fenway.

I have no problem with Martino's being a Steelers bar. Unfortunately, there's one in every city in the country and Cincinnati doesn't carry that burden alone. However, don't expect me to ever set foot into Martino's, football season or not. It's just not going to happen. I see that they advertise the rest of the year and especially before/after UC games begging people to stop in. As if ...

I go to plenty of UC games, football and basketball, but I would never even entertain the thought of going to Martino's. They have every right to be a Steelers bar, and I have every right to never go there.

As for Moerlein, I've been there before and of course I'll go back. But you can be assured that I damn well won't go in there this week after what they pulled. I'll go back next homestand and not before. But if they ever cater to visiting fans again, I'm probably done with them for good.

GAC
05-02-2012, 04:45 AM
I think the difference here is that it's an establishment right next to GABP. You would never, ever see the Cubby Bear or Murphy's Bleachers having a Reds Night when the Reds were in town. If they did, they might as well close up shop right then and there.

You nailed it right there, plus, didn't they just open up this year? Not exactly a solid PR move when you haven't been open that long. I told a couple die hard Cub fans at work about this and even they said that.

camisadelgolf
05-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I was at the Lager House and Great American Ballpark yesterday. They were nowhere near as many Cubs fans as usual. Don't let the Cubs fans deter you.

Yachtzee
05-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Channel 12 ran a poll tonight asking if Cincinnati fans were too sensitive and 60% said yes we are:

http://www.local12.com/default.aspx

I tend to concur. Being too sensitive as a fan is not something I'm proud of

I think Cincinnati fans are an odd bunch. They like to "eat their own." Very inward looking and self-critical, whether of the teams or fans themselves. If you want to see sensitive fans, come up to Cleveland sometime. Any slight on the city or its teams is considered a declaration of war. You think Cincinnati fans are sensitive about this whole lager house thing? If it happened in Cleveland next to one of the stadiums up here, I think you'd see some knuckleheads do something stupid. Very sensitive and take things sports-related way to seriously up here. Cincinnati fans have always seemed pretty mellow by comparison.

Sea Ray
05-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I think Cincinnati fans are an odd bunch. They like to "eat their own." Very inward looking and self-critical, whether of the teams or fans themselves. If you want to see sensitive fans, come up to Cleveland sometime. Any slight on the city or its teams is considered a declaration of war. You think Cincinnati fans are sensitive about this whole lager house thing? If it happened in Cleveland next to one of the stadiums up here, I think you'd see some knuckleheads do something stupid. Very sensitive and take things sports-related way to seriously up here. Cincinnati fans have always seemed pretty mellow by comparison.

Yeah, I noticed that about Cleveland fans when I lived in Columbus 25 yrs ago. Interesting that things haven't changed much since then. :)

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-03-2012, 05:00 PM
What do you think Philadelphia fans would say if a bar near Citizens Bank Park advertised as Yankee Stadium South during a Phils/Yanks series? What would Red Sox fans say to a similar bar near Fenway doing the same thing?

What would OSU fans do if a bar on High Street welcomed Michigan fans with a Go Blue advertisement? What would Ravens fans do if a bar on Baltimore's Inner Harbor welcomed slimy steelers fans with a Heinz Field south ad?

Come on ... Cincinnati fans didn't react any differently than any other passionate fan base would have. Frankly, I would have been disappointed if there was no outcry.

Johnny Footstool
05-03-2012, 05:51 PM
What do you think Philadelphia fans would say if a bar near Citizens Bank Park advertised as Yankee Stadium South during a Phils/Yanks series? What would Red Sox fans say to a similar bar near Fenway doing the same thing?

What would OSU fans do if a bar on High Street welcomed Michigan fans with a Go Blue advertisement? What would Ravens fans do if a bar on Baltimore's Inner Harbor welcomed slimy steelers fans with a Heinz Field south ad?

Come on ... Cincinnati fans didn't react any differently than any other passionate fan base would have. Frankly, I would have been disappointed if there was no outcry.

Exactly.

defender
05-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I believe they were saying they have created a wrigleyville atmosphere, more than trying to attract all the Cubs fans. I also thinkl, the promotions people are proably not big sports fans.

I heard a commercial on the WGN broadcast that prouldly stated : "the official nut of both the Cubs and White Sox!". A lot of people writing copy who arn't sports fans.