PDA

View Full Version : Bronson Arroyo Obtains Ten And Five Rights

savafan
04-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I apologize if this was discussed somewhere else, but I didn't see it anywhere.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/bronson-arroyo-obtains-ten-and-five-rights.html

Arroyo began the year with nine years and 150 days of MLB service and yesterday marked the 22nd day of the Redsí season. Nine years and 172 days equates to ten years of service for the 35-year-old, and his last six-plus seasons have been spent in Cincinnati.

Caveat Emperor
04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Hating on Arroyo has become a pastime for many, but I've genuinely enjoyed his time in Cincinnati.

fearofpopvol1
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Doesn't his current deal have a no-trade clause anyhow? Or am I making that up?

_Sir_Charles_
04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Hating on Arroyo has become a pastime for many, but I've genuinely enjoyed his time in Cincinnati.

Same here. He does throw the occasional stinker (sometimes more than occasionally), but I love watching him pitch. The wide assortment of stuff he has, all the arm angles, that straight as an arrow leg kick. I just love watching him pitch.

Plus, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. And a total straight shooter. It's not often you have professional athletes who just speak the truth regardless of the consequences. :thumbup:

corkedbat
04-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Not a big deal. The terms of his contract make it a virtual no-trade clause anyway. He'll be here the remainder of this year and all of next. He's pitched pretty well except for the first start, hopefully he can maintain for the duration.

Spitball
04-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Same here. He does throw the occasional stinker (sometimes more than occasionally), but I love watching him pitch. The wide assortment of stuff he has, all the arm angles, that straight as an arrow leg kick. I just love watching him pitch.

Plus, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. And a total straight shooter. It's not often you have professional athletes who just speak the truth regardless of the consequences. :thumbup:

I agree. He is a right handed Jamie Moyer. He used to get blasted because certain posters believed he didn't appreciate Cincinnati and wanted back in Boston. I enjoy watching him pitch.

redsmetz
05-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Not a big deal. The terms of his contract make it a virtual no-trade clause anyway. He'll be here the remainder of this year and all of next. He's pitched pretty well except for the first start, hopefully he can maintain for the duration.

Absolutely. The only way he could be moved was to negotiate a change in the contract to allow the deferred money to still be deferred. In many ways, it speaks to the possibility that Arroyo has meant that he wanted to be here, contrary to the general belief prevalent on RZ that he's just itching to get back to Boston.

Now he's got the solid 10 & 5 right, which as you correctly note, really doesn't change things.

I concur with others who have noted that he's fun to watch. He strikes me as an extremely smart pitcher & he works like the dickens at his craft. And I like his presence around our youngish corps of pitchers. Once Chapman move to the rotation, we still have a numbers problem, but as they say, that's a good problem to have. As Marty's been harping for most of this early season, that should worry Mike Leake or Homer Bailey. It won't worry Bronson. And his salary's looking fairly affordable at this point.

savafan
05-01-2012, 07:19 AM
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/b/bronson-arroyo/album-covering-the-bases.jpg

Plus, there's this, the Covering the Bases cd! I use this often to annoy my wife.

cumberlandreds
05-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Same here. I loved to watch him pitch. He changes speeds as well as anyone in the game. His annual 200 innings a year is most under valued thing he gives to the team. Yes about 1 in 6 or 7 starts is a klunker but that's what you get sometimes with an off speed pitcher. Also I still haven't seen him give up a run in person in two starts I have watched him in DC. :)

redsmetz
05-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Same here. I loved to watch him pitch. He changes speeds as well as anyone in the game. His annual 200 innings a year is most under valued thing he gives to the team. Yes about 1 in 6 or 7 starts is a klunker but that's what you get sometimes with an off speed pitcher. Also I still haven't seen him give up a run in person in two starts I have watched him in DC. :)

Clearly Bronson needs to bring you to every game he pitches, right? Personal waterboy, caddy, guitar tuner...

cumberlandreds
05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Clearly Bronson needs to bring you to every game he pitches, right? Personal waterboy, caddy, guitar tuner...

I would gladly do any of those things. He probably shouldn't play the guitar after I got hold of it though. :)

WildcatFan
05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/b/bronson-arroyo/album-covering-the-bases.jpg

Plus, there's this, the Covering the Bases cd! I use this often to annoy my wife.

Jeez, I had forgotten that. I downloaded it (less than legally) in college, and the rest of the hall would be LIVID when I blasted it in my dorm room. Shinedown has never sounded worse.

OesterPoster
05-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Are you sure it's not all the other things you do? :D

wolfboy
05-01-2012, 12:30 PM
He's responsible for my favorite commercial spot by a Reds player:

Bronson Arroyo commercial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I-2YW0IzUU)

Vottomatic
05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
I have nothing bad to say about Bronson. Most of his time spent here has been solid. His bad year was accompanied by mono. I also remember Dusty hanging him out to dry in a few outings each year to give up 8 or so runs and take one for the team.......where most managers would remove a starting pitcher.......which inflated Arroyo's e.r.a. quite a bit. I think one of those games was in Toronto a few years back. Really made me not like Dusty.

savafan
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Are you sure it's not all the other things you do? :D

Well, the Arroyo CD tends to make things worse :p

VR
05-02-2012, 12:19 AM
In his tenure here, I'd imagine he's ranks very high for quality starts over that time period in the league. Not flashy with the strikeouts, yet continually has the team in position to win games.

camisadelgolf
05-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Doesn't his current deal have a no-trade clause anyhow? Or am I making that up?
Kind of. He's due a ridiculous bonus if traded, so he was untradeable anyway.

RedlegJake
05-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I like Bronson and have truly enjoyed his time with the Reds. I expected a return to form this season and so far, so good. The guy is a true innings eater and under appreciated for what he brings to the staff. I look at Bronson as the perfect fourth guy on a staff - soft tosser to change up the hard throwers, crafty, rubber armed. I don't even think he's particularly overpaid given today's rates for starters as long as he is producing normal non-2011 results.