PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 5/1

chicoruiz
05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Reds:

Brandon Claussen (33) -Acquired from the Yankees for Aaron Boone; his star never really ascended.

Others:

Jose Lind (48) -Flashy-fielding slap-hitting 2B mostly for the Pirates. Something of a free spirit, to put it mildly. Kept a collection of knives in his locker. Got involved in substance abuse- after his playing days were over he was pulled over for DWI and found to be naked from the waist down. His 1991 Upper Deck baseball card inexplicably shows him attempting to jump over teammate Mike LaValliere.

http://images.checkoutmycards.com/zoom-back/da957f27-e523-4f31-8dfb-f2fdcf7d3e5b.jpg

Von Joshua (64) -Unremarkable OF; he started his career with the Dodgers, was traded away in 1974, and returned five years later. In the five years he was gone, the Dodger infield hadn't changed...

John Beradino -Utility IF mostly for the Browns. His baseball career, however, pales before his 33-year run as the saintly Dr. Steve Hardy on "General Hospital". He also appears in the classic Alfred Hitchcock film "North By Northwest" as a cop who allows Cary Grant to make a phone call. John was the only person to have both a World Series ring and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Heinie Meine -As if having the name "Heinie Meine" wasn't enough, he had a cool nickname: "the Count Of Luxemburg" (he operated a saloon in the "Luxemburg" area of St. Louis in the off-season).

dabvu2498
05-01-2012, 08:00 AM
I remember Lind jumping over Joe Garagiola (sp?) before a broadcast of a game of the week way back when.

But I legitimately don't remember what I had for dinner last night.

chicoruiz
05-01-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't want to know what happened one second after that picture was taken...

cumberlandreds
05-01-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't want to know what happened one second after that picture was taken...

Looks very dangerous for both. :)

Bob Borkowski
05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
John Beradino -Utility IF mostly for the Browns. His baseball career, however, pales before his 33-year run as the saintly Dr. Steve Hardy on "General Hospital". He also appears in the classic Alfred Hitchcock film "North By Northwest" as a cop who allows Cary Grant to make a phone call. John was the only person to have both a World Series ring and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

He must have used the name Berardino throughout his baseball career. I couldn't find Beradino at Baseball Reference.

oneupper
05-01-2012, 08:23 AM
He must have used the name Berardino throughout his baseball career. I couldn't find Beradino at Baseball Reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Beradino

Yeah, wiki says he went as Berardino as a player and Beradino, Baradino, Barardino and Barradino as an actor.

RedFanAlways1966
05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Funny thing... I always thought of Jose Lind as a heck of a fielding 2nd baseman back in the day (ala Brandon Phillips today). Hit it to the right side and you are out. However, when I hear/read his name these days I think of a big-time error he made in the 9th inning of that historic NLCS game 7 against the Braves (gimpy Sid Bream and poor Doug Drabek). Routine grounder... make that play and the Pirates are probably playing in the WS.

mth123
05-02-2012, 04:55 AM
Reds:

Heinie Meine -As if having the name "Heinie Meine" wasn't enough, he had a cool nickname: "the Count Of Luxemburg" (he operated a saloon in the "Luxemburg" area of St. Louis in the off-season).

I remember him combining with Eeney, Meaney and Mo to form one of the more famous rotation's ever.

Bob Borkowski
05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
I remember him combining with Eeney, Meaney and Mo to form one of the more famous rotation's ever.

Made me laugh! :laugh: