PDA

View Full Version : Mike Costanzo

batsfan
05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Mike Costanzo is now batting .307 with 6 HR between AA and AAA, and hitting .440 with a 1.253 OPS (25 AB) against righties in AAA. If he keeps this up, he might be a much better option then Harris as a left off of the bench, due to his power. However, he is a corner infielder, and we already have Cairo and Fraizer. Still, he will be interesting to follow.

Tom Servo
05-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Could be worth a shot. Maybe he's a late bloomer in the vein of a Casey McGehee.

traderumor
05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I know his brother could really hit. Showed Danny Tartabull a few things in his day.

HokieRed
05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I've been watching Costanzo's numbers all along and hoping for success. I think it's premature to make any call, but it's hard to see how anyone could be worse offensively than Harris. And to me, Cairo plus Valdez plus Harris spells redundancy.

RedlegJake
05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
If Costanzo hits like this for another month the Reds will find a spot for him. Lots of guys get hot in stints, though. I tend to be really dubious of the "late bloomer" thing - but I do agree it's hard to see how he can be worse than Harris.

Vottomatic
05-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I've been watching Costanzo's numbers all along and hoping for success. I think it's premature to make any call, but it's hard to see how anyone could be worse offensively than Harris. And to me, Cairo plus Valdez plus Harris spells redundancy.

So glad you said it. Been thinking it all season.

Cairo, Valdez, and Harris are all the same kind of utility player with little power. I believe Valdez will be Cairo's replacement next year. Wouldn't surprise me to see Harris let go at some point, especially when Cairo returns.

Frazier is a utility guy with pop.

I wonder how George Constanza feels about Mike? :D

batsfan
05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I wonder how George Constanza feels about Mike? :D

I was at Costanzo's first game in AAA last season, and the Bats played the Seinfeld theme as his walk up music.

HokieRed
05-02-2012, 09:48 PM
After the K from just a moment ago, Harris has a .280 OPS.

mth123
05-02-2012, 10:17 PM
The Reds basically have guys whose ideal role is late inning defensive replacement manning CF and 3B, lack of lefty bats and a 4th OF who needs time in AAA to get straightened out. I can't see how it could hurt to call Costanzo up and play him at 3B for a week or two to see what happens.