PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 5/3

chicoruiz
05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Reds:

Homer Bailey (26) -His nickname is supposedly "Batman" due to his resemblance to Christian Bale. I kind of see the resemblance, but I never knew about the nickname. Also, that arrow tattoo on his arm kind of bugs me for some reason.

Ryan Dempster (35) -At the time, we couldn't wait to get rid of him...just goes to show, I guess...

Bob Buchanan (51) -Logged an 8.44 ERA for the '85 Reds.

Eppa Rixey -I always thought "Jeptha" was his middle name; actually it was a nickname that he gradually adpted as his middle name. Eppa was a rarity in the baseball of his era; a college-educated intellectual who taught Latin and took graduate school classes in the off-season. Heckuva pitcher, too...

Others:

Darren Dreifort (40) -The 5 year, $55 million contract he signed in 2001 will go down in the hall of fame of unfortunate contracts. It's not like he didn't try; he's supposedly had 22 surgeries over the years.

Davey Lopes (67) -One of the few Dodgers I couldn't make myself hate; kind of Joe Morgan Lite.

Red Ruffing -Red is a prime example of an odd syndrome: the pitcher who pitches badly for a bad team, then really well for a good team. Ruffing pitched on a bad staff in Boston and was one of the worst pitchers on the staff statistically; then when he went to the Yankees, who had a great staff, he became better than the good pitchers. Bill James had an explanation for this, but I forget what it is. Anyway, Red eventually served as pitching coach for the 1962 Mets, which doesn't exactly brighten up one's resume.

George Gore -Led the league in pretty much every offensive category in 1880; later in his career he became the first player to make a habit of drawing bunches and bunches of walks.

cumberlandreds
05-03-2012, 08:16 AM
I have a HR ball from Lopes that I got from game 1 of the famous July 1, 1973 doubleheader with the Dodgers. I'll always hold a special place for him as long as he is around.

Bob Borkowski
05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Homer Bailey (26) -His nickname is supposedly "Batman" due to his resemblance to Christian Bale. I kind of see the resemblance, but I never knew about the nickname. Also, that arrow tattoo on his arm kind of bugs me for some reason.

I thought Homer was his nickname.

Bob Borkowski
05-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Davey Lopes (67) -One of the few Dodgers I couldn't make myself hate; kind of Joe Morgan Lite.

He ranks sixth on the All-Time list with an 83.01% stolen base success rate.

cumberlandreds
05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I thought Homer was his nickname.

It is. His given name is David.