PDA

View Full Version : Favorite players ever

Puffy
05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
I am re-reading Bill Simmons Book of Basketball and just got to Bernard King and got to thinking about my favorite players ever. And what I realized is that my favorite players ever are all from my childhood. So I got to thinking this is probably true for everyone. So, who are some of the favorites of the board and do they conform to my hypothesis?

Mine are:

Baseball - - Joe Morgan (with Eric Davis a close second)
Basketball - - Bernard King
Football - - Lawrence Taylor
College hoops - - Michael Jordan
College Football - - three way tie between Bo Jackson, Hershel Walker and Billy Sims

redhawkfish
05-04-2012, 03:47 PM
MLB- George Brett

NBA- Dr. J

NFL- Kenny Stabler

NCAA FB- Sherman Smith

NCAA BB- Wayman Tisdale

All are from my youth, and except for Smith none are from my favorite teams which is strange.

texasdave
05-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Baseball: Vada Pinson or Tony Perez
Basketball: Oscar Robertson or Lew Alcindor
Football: Cornerback duo Kenny Riley and Lemar Parrish
College Hoops: Pistol Pete Maravich
College Football: Greg Cook or Brig Owens
Fighter: Muhammad Ali
Golfer: Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus
Track: Jim Ryun
Horse Racing: Secretariat (Good call, Cumberlandreds. Tomorrow is the first Saturday in May.)

I believe you might be on to something.

cumberlandreds
05-04-2012, 03:55 PM
In honor of Derby weekend:

Horse racing: Secretariat

MLB: Pete Rose (I'm sure he bet a matchstick or two on horse racing)

NFL: Roger Staubach

NBA: Larry Bird

CBB: Larry Bird along with quite a few UK players

CFB: Bo Jackson or Hershel Walker

Golf: Jack Nicklaus

UKFlounder
05-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Baseball: Johnny Bench (Dave Parker would be 2nd)
Basketball: Jamal Mashburn (but Anthony Davis may be sneaking up here)
Football: Anthony Munoz (Kenny Anderson not far behind)
NBA: Magic Johnson

RichRed
05-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Baseball - George Foster and Eric Davis
Basketball - Dr. J and Elvin Hayes
Football - John Riggins and Darrell Green

medford
05-04-2012, 04:40 PM
My favorite players:

Baseball: Eric Davis w/ Joey Votto quickly gaining ground
Non Red: Greg Maddux
Football: Walter Payton or Barry Sanders, tough to choose
CFB: Eddie George or Orlando Pace
Basketball: Jordan
CBB: Larry Johnson (how fun was that UNLV team to watch?)
CBB name: God Shamgod, I had a crush on that ('95?) Providence team with Shamgod & Crosheir when I first saw them just prior to the Big East tournament and rooted them thru the Elite 8
Golfer: Tiger, so the guy has made some questionable decisions on & off the course, but nobody moves the meter the way Tiger does, he makes Golf must watch TV.

Now those are my favorite athletes that I actually remember watching, had to rule out guys like Pete that I only caught brief parts at the end of their career and don't remember a ton about. However, if we're talking about our favorite players of all time, then certainly there has been no greater "playa" than Wilt the Stilt.

Hoosier Red
05-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Baseball: Barrry Larkin
Pro Football: Boomer Esiason
College FB: I followed UC football until 1996 and then started following IU. So naturally no one.
College BB: Herb Jones

Revering4Blue
05-04-2012, 05:00 PM
MLB: Cesar Geronimo

NFL: Phil Simms (Offense)

Mel Blount (Defense)

NBA: Dr. J

NHL: Danny Gare

NCAABB: Quinn Buckner

NCAAFB: Antwann Randle El (Offense)

Deon Sanders (Defense)

Joseph
05-04-2012, 05:54 PM
MLB: Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, and Griffey Junior
NFL: Boomer Esiason
NHL: Tony Amonte, Jeremy Roenick, Eddie Belfour
NBA: Michael Jordan

SunDeck
05-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Dr. J
Pete Rose
Tim Krumrie/Joe Green
Bjorn Borg
Erik Heiden
Franz Klammer - if you are too young to remember his gold medal run in 1976, check it out on Youtube. Best ski run of all time and it inspired me to ski like a raging idiot when I was ten.

improbus
05-04-2012, 06:20 PM
MLB: Tom Browning (Remember listening to Perfect Game in bedroom when I was 8; also I was a lefty pitcher)
NFL: Daivd Fulcher (from real and Tecmo football)
NBA: Rasheed Wallace (Ball Don't Lie)
NCAAB: Chuck Hayes/Erik Daniels (loved watching them work together)
NCAAF: Stanley Jackson - The much maligned OSU QB who didn't have cute freckles.
Soccer: "Sneaky" Pete Marino - Old School Crew
Golf: Colin Montgomery - He looks like my all 7 of my grandma's brothers (and a little like my grandma)
Hockey: Anyone from the 1996 Canucks, that was my NHL '96 team (Bure, Mogilney, Courtnall, Linden.)
Olympics: Anyone who does the downhill

Assembly Hall
05-04-2012, 06:35 PM
MLB..........Reggie Jackson

NFL..........Walter Payton

NBA..........Larry Bird

College Football........Tony Dorsett

College Basketball.....John Paxson

All from my youth and oddly enough none from my favorite teams.

Orenda
05-04-2012, 07:47 PM
mlb- other than Barry Larkin. Randy Johnson- Insult mullets when his back is turned, he knows it's going to happen, but no need to sweat it, not when you can buzz the tower with a 99 mph heater..."Get that camera out of my face." runner up -Ricky Henderson

ncaabb- Lazelle Durden, the good old days. runner up- mel levett

nfl- boomer esiason/ jeff blake hybrid- talk about low expectations...but if your team is going to get beat all the time, might as well go down throwing bombs deep

nba- Chris Paul. Point forwards are fine, until someone like aaron brooks blows by them. runners up- Magic, John Stockton, Muggsy, and the under-rated Mark Jackson

improbus
05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Nba Chris Paul. Point forwards are fine, until someone like aaron brooks blows by them. runners up- Magic, John Stockton, Muggsy, and the under-rated Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson might be the only guard who would come over half court and already be backing his defender down. I'm not sure he ever played basketball while actually facing the basket.

Orenda
05-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Mark Jackson might be the only guard who would come over half court and already be backing his defender down. I'm not sure he ever played basketball while actually facing the basket.

lol, i know. Those were his latter days, but he proved you can be a very good player with instincts, intelligence, body control and leadership. He definitely wasn't the most athletic guy, but somehow it didn't matter, he was the hakeem of point guards. Of course my favorite moment was when he was playing for the Pacers and he was on a fast break and decided to do some "showtime" shimmy shake before dropping it off to J. Rose for a dunk. this was really close to the end, when there was no chance at all he was going to be able to dunk it himself, hilarious.

Yachtzee
05-05-2012, 02:16 AM
Baseball - Johnny Bench/Barry Larkin
Football - Boomer Esiason
Basketball - World B. Free
Soccer - Brian McBride, Guillermo Barros Schelotto, and an honorable mention to Osvaldo Ardiles for his rainbow flick in the movie "Victory." I spent many an afternoon trying to perfect that move in my back yard.

Assembly Hall
05-05-2012, 08:21 AM

LOL........he was facing the basket when he shot the "teardrop"!

Orenda
05-05-2012, 09:15 AM
some other college favorites: luke recker aj guyton

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/02/04/10-years-later-luke-recker-looks-back/

Assembly Hall
05-05-2012, 09:48 AM
some other college favorites: luke recker aj guyton

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/02/04/10-years-later-luke-recker-looks-back/

Luke Recker? C'mon man.

VR
05-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Baseball: George Foster
Basketball: Julius Winfield Erving
Football: Chuck Foreman
College Football: Earl Campbell
College Basketball: Barry Stevens

VR
05-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Luke Recker? C'mon man.

Hey, back off the Hawkeye hating

reds1869
05-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Baseball Red: Votto (Phillips is right up there too)
Baseball Non-Red: Ichiro
Football: Chad Pennington (I went to school with him and he is a 1st class human being)
Basketball: Michael Jordan
Soccer: First Arsenal-era Thierry Henry
Hockey: Rick Nash

RichRed
05-05-2012, 05:30 PM
nba- Chris Paul. Point forwards are fine, until someone like aaron brooks blows by them. runners up- Magic, John Stockton, Muggsy, and the under-rated Mark Jackson

Forgot about Muggsy Bogues. He and Ralph Sampson were probably my two favorite college basketball players to watch (I was kind of a UVA/ACC fan before I went to college myself).

DGullett35
05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Mine:

MLB- Derek Jeter(I know I know, but my dad is a huge Yankee fan and Ive liked Jeter since he was a rookie in '96) My fav. Red was Barry Larkin, and I liked Jack Armstrong.

NBA-Allen Iverson

NFL-Jerry Rice

Golf-Ernie Els

dabvu2498
05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
MLB: Pete Rose
NBA: David Robinson
CBB: Shan Foster
CFB: Never rooted for him, but I loved watching Tim Tebow play.

HokieRed
05-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Baseball: Frank Robinson
Football: Jim Brown
Basketball: Oscar Robertson
Hockey: Gordie Howe

improbus
05-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Just for fun, my least favorites.
MLB: Any Astro.
NFL: Any Steeler
NBA: Derek Fisher
NHL: Jeremy Roenick (NHL 96 nightmares)
NCAAF: Tim Biakabatuka
NCAAB: Mateen Cleeves/Khalid El Amein/Laettner
Golf: Phil (i feel like he is Shooter McGavin or the Don Johnson character from Tin Cup)
NASCAR: Dale Earnhardt (I was a Bill Elliott and Cale guy as a kid)
Soccer: Anyone on DC United or Sir Alex Ferguson

PickOff
05-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Nice thread. I purposely did not read anyone else's posts.

Mine are, in my lifetime:

Baseball - - Barry Larkin
Basketball - - Larry Bird
Football - - James Brooks
College hoops - -Herb Jones, Negele Knight
College Football - - Troy Smith

Assembly Hall
05-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey, back off the Hawkeye hating

No hate towards the Hawks. A great college b-ball player Luke was not. 2 years at Iowa man. Better player at IU. So suck on that one.:lol:

Orenda
05-05-2012, 11:14 PM
golf- payne stewart clothing attire

cumberlandreds
05-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Dr. J
Pete Rose
Tim Krumrie/Joe Green
Bjorn Borg
Erik Heiden
Franz Klammer - if you are too young to remember his gold medal run in 1976, check it out on Youtube. Best ski run of all time and it inspired me to ski like a raging idiot when I was ten.

I can remember watching Klammer's run in the 76 Olympics. It was spectatcular. It never inspired me to ski though.

I forgot about tennis. Used to watch it a lot back in the 70's and 80's. Borg was my favorite too. He was as dominate as anyone back in his time.

oneupper
05-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Nice Thread.
My favorites are Old-school and pretty conventional. I'm a front-runner I guess.

Baseball: Johnny Bench
non-Red: George Brett
Football: Peyton Manning
Basketball: Michael Jordan
Golf: Chi-Chi Rodriguez
Hockey: Gretzky
Tennis: Jimmy Connors
Olympics: Nadia Comaneci/Sebastian Coe
Soccer: Johan Cruyff

I worked as a line judge in an EPIC Borg-Connors battle in Caracas. Five amazing sets IIRC.

bucksfan2
05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Baseball: Barry Larkin
Non-Red: Josh Hamilton
College Football: Troy Smith and Will Allen
College Basketball: JJ Sullinger and Evan Turner
Football: Boomer
Olympics: Tommy Moe and Bode Miller
Golf: David Duval and Freddie Couples

RichRed
05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I worked as a line judge in an EPIC Borg-Connors battle in Caracas. Five amazing sets IIRC.

Wow, what an experience that must have been.

cumberlandreds
05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Wow, what an experience that must have been.

My sentiments exactly. Connors give you any grief over a line call? :)

oneupper
05-08-2012, 02:16 PM
My sentiments exactly. Connors give you any grief over a line call? :)

He's my favorite player, isn't he? So no.

I was lucky 'cause I had the center service line. So I basically had the best seat in the house for free! I was 15. Didn't quite get how cool it was at the time.
BTW looked it up. It was a 3-set deal. Connors took the first and last. The rallies lasted seemingly forever.
6-4 5-7 6-3.

George Anderson
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Red---------Johnny Bench
Non Red-----George Herman Ruth....No I didn't see him but I like him.
NFL.............Peyton Manning
NBA............Larry Joe Bird
NCAA BB......Calbert Cheaney/Steve Alford

Razor Shines
05-09-2012, 02:17 AM
MLB: Nearly all the of the 1990 Reds but specifically Eric and Barry.
Non Red: Greg Maddux.
NBA: Reggie Miller
NFL: Peyton Manning
PGA: Tiger
NCAA BB: Calbert Cheaney
Tennis: Pete Sampras

improbus
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Who is the guy that makes no sense for you to love, but you do? For example, it could be an average or even below average player with a strange style (Javy Valentin), someone whose character is bigger than life (John Salley with the ladies), or for no reason at all.

My guys are Art Long (just an epically questionable dude), Kent Mercker, and Sam Perkins.

dabvu2498
05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Who is the guy that makes no sense for you to love, but you do? For example, it could be an average or even below average player with a strange style (Javy Valentin), someone whose character is bigger than life (John Salley with the ladies), or for no reason at all.

My guys are Art Long (just an epically questionable dude), Kent Mercker, and Sam Perkins.

When I was a kid... Garth and Dane Iorg. Loved those names.

Yachtzee
05-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Wonder if Dane ever had a show called "Dane's World."

improbus
05-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I remember so many more guys from the 80's because I collected baseball cards. For example, I remember Garth Iorg because his Blue Jays 1986 Topps card was unusually bright (or at least the one I had was). It's weird the types of things that stick in your head for no real reason.

Yachtzee
05-12-2012, 12:45 AM
I remember so many more guys from the 80's because I collected baseball cards. For example, I remember Garth Iorg because his Blue Jays 1986 Topps card was unusually bright (or at least the one I had was). It's weird the types of things that stick in your head for no real reason.

I remember those cards. Every pack I seemed to get at least a couple Blue Jays' cards. I think I ended up with 5 or 6 Rance Mulliniks and 10 Buck Martinez. My brother and I had a long standing inside joke using the name "Buck Martinez" as an expression of disappointment, like "not again!"

Tuff Nut
05-12-2012, 10:36 AM
MLB - Johnny Bench.....non-Red - Roberto Clemente
NFL - Willie Lanier and Otis Taylor
NBA - John Hovlachek and Larry Bird.......... non-Celtic - The Doctor and Mike
CBB - Kyle Macy and quite a few Cats.......non-Cat - Len Bias(he was an unbelievalbe talent)
CFB - Vincent Bo Jackson(argueably the greatest athlete of my time)
NHL - Bobby Orr and Phil Espisito

blumj
05-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Pedro Martinez, and it would feel wrong to even mention any other names in his company.

Dom Heffner
05-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Andre Agassi
John Elway
Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan

Hoosier Red
05-14-2012, 09:07 AM

Andy Van Slyke.

I traded my 1986 Pete Rose 1b-Mgr card for him because I simply liked the name for some reason.

MrRedLegger
05-14-2012, 05:53 PM
MLB: Deion Sanders (bc he wore his socks so high, a true Red-Leg) but seriously Barry Larkin
NBA: Lebron James (Before Miami), Dirk Nowitzki (After James went to Miami)
NCAAB: Josh Harrelson bc of his performance in 2011 Tournament and bc I can't say Calipari
NCAAF: Ricky Williams

Rojo
05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Who is the guy that makes no sense for you to love, but you do?

Terry Mulholland. I'd forget about him and then, at some point, he'd show up in some random game, pitching for some random team.

Last time was late in the season coming out of the pen for the Twins at 42.

will5979
05-16-2012, 10:58 PM
MLB:

My Lifetime:
Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Barry Larkin, Adam Dunn, Joey Votto, Darryl Strawberry, Keith Hernandez, Mike Schmidt, Rob Dibble, Paul O'Neill, Eric Davis, Chris Sabo, Deion Sanders, Jose Rijo, Mike Piazza, John Rocker, Ryan Freel, Jay Bruce, DatDude B.P., Bronson Arroyo

Historical:
The entire BRM, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Ernie Lombardi, Big Klu, Frank Robinson, Edd Roush, Lou Gehrig, Reggie Jackson

NCAA FB:

Owen Schmitt, Jake the Snake Kelchner, Canute Curtis, Noel Devine, Mark Bulger, Pat White, Steve Slaton (2005 version only), Gino Smith, Mike Lorello

NFL:

Boomer Esiason, Andy Dalton, A.J. Green

NASCAR:

Dale Earnhardt #3, Dale Jr., Kevin Harvick, Mark Martin, Bill Elliot

WWF:

Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, HHH, the Rock, Jake the Snake Roberts, Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, Ravishing Rick Rude, Demolition, Ron Simmons (DAMN!)

Boxing:

Mike Tyson

improbus
05-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Terry Mulholland. I'd forget about him and then, at some point, he'd show up in some random game, pitching for some random team.

Last time was late in the season coming out of the pen for the Twins at 42.

This reminds me that I saw Kent Mercker driving home to Columbus after hurting himself a few years ago. I remember hearing about the injury and then I saw him going home. It was just weird.

will5979
05-16-2012, 11:11 PM
MLB: Any Astro.
NFL: Any Steeler
NBA: Derek Fisher
NHL: Jeremy Roenick (NHL 96 nightmares)
NCAAF: Tim Biakabatuka
NCAAB: Mateen Cleeves/Khalid El Amein/Laettner
Golf: Phil (i feel like he is Shooter McGavin or the Don Johnson character from Tin Cup)
NASCAR: Dale Earnhardt (I was a Bill Elliott and Cale guy as a kid)
Soccer: Anyone on DC United or Sir Alex Ferguson

YEAH the fun ones!
MLB:Any Brave, Cub, Card, Pirate, Red Sox, and Indian.
NCAA FB: Any Pitt Panther, VT Hokie, MooU Blundering Turd, Loserville Cardinal.
NFL: Any Steeler and Brown.
Nascar: Crusty Whineass, Darrell Waterlips, Jeff Gordong, Jerk Johnson, Carl Edwards
WWF: Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Ultimate Warrior, Sting
Boxing: Cassus Clay (I refuse to call the draft dodger Mohommed Ali)
NBA/NCAA BB: All of them, I hate the sport of basketball.
Golf: See my response to Basketball.
Soccer: Real cute sport, especially the way they bounce that ball off their heads, personally I don't any sport where you don't use your hands.
Hockey: Neutral, don't watch, don't hate.

bucksfan2
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
MLB: Jose Reyes, Nyger Morgan, Yadi Molina, Chris Carpenter
NFL: Big Ben, Joe Flacco
NBA: LeBron James and Chris Bosh. I really don't watch it enough to really have much of an opinion.
NCAAF: Tim Tebow
NCAAB: This list is long and distinguished. Terrance Jones, Greg Paulus, Shane Battier, and Brandon Knight for hitting the jumper to beat OSU.
Golf: Tiger, Colin Montgomery