PDA

View Full Version : chapman needs to start soon

R_Webb18
05-05-2012, 10:15 PM
yea leake had solid night but at the end of the day thats like best he can do. we need what cueto can do shutout a team. im not saying he does it every game but he's capable of it. can chapman do this? idk but his stuff is a lot better and id like to fine out. lets just say we happen to make the playoffs you will need him.

if you need lefty in pen move sean m to 7/8th and put logan o as closer.

id like to atleast try this

Ironman92
05-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Chapman will get plenty of starts.

Bout August of 2013.....70 pitch limit until Sept then 90 pitch limit until end.

2014.....165 innings limit

2015.....CY Young for Yankees

R_Webb18
05-05-2012, 11:08 PM

Bout August of 2013.....70 pitch limit until Sept then 90 pitch limit until end.

at this rate yes

R_Webb18
05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
its kinda like there scared to hurt someone feelings by sending them down. so choose the easy play.

GoReds19
05-06-2012, 12:02 AM
It didnt matter who pitched today. If they didnt throw up a zero they wasnt gonna win. The offense is way to up and down at this point, and alot more downs than ups.

R_Webb18
05-06-2012, 01:21 AM
It didnt matter who pitched today. If they didnt throw up a zero they wasnt gonna win. The offense is way to up and down at this point, and alot more downs than ups.

thats my point tho. we need some1 that can throw a shutout every once in awhile. leake just does not have the stuff. 2 or 3 is best he can do.

GoReds19
05-06-2012, 02:01 AM
thats my point tho. we need some1 that can throw a shutout every once in awhile. leake just does not have the stuff. 2 or 3 is best he can do.

My point is if the reds can find a way to score 5 tonight. We're probably on here talking about how Leake had a nice start.

R_Webb18
05-06-2012, 02:43 AM
My point is if the reds can find a way to score 5 tonight. We're probably on here talking about how Leake had a nice start.

no i already thought he had a good start. i agree we need to score runs but im talking about the pitching part.

it would be a masterpiece if leake only gives up 1 run.

if reds score 1 run and cueto is pitching i feel we have a chance to win.

with bronson bailey leake i don't.

that's why we need chapman.

dubc47834
05-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Throw a shutout every once in a while huh, so we can only win once in a while!!!! Chapman and Cueto can't pitch every other day. Also, we don't even know that Chappy can dominate as a starter. Yes, we know he can for an inning or 2. When he was in Cuba he didn't even pitch deep into games, that should tell you something. Leake has been inconsistant so far, but many people coming out of spring training was wanting him in the rotation and Bailey in the pen or traded. It's amazing how people give up on someone or the team after a few starts!!!!

:beerme:

dubc47834
05-06-2012, 07:17 AM
no i already thought he had a good start. i agree we need to score runs but im talking about the pitching part.

it would be a masterpiece if leake only gives up 1 run.

if reds score 1 run and cueto is pitching i feel we have a chance to win.

with bronson bailey leake i don't.

that's why we need chapman.

There isn't a pitching rotation in all of baseball that has all 5 starters that can consistantly give up 1 run games, which is what it sounds like you are asking for. Just not gonna happen. If our team was to score 1 run a game for 162 games, I would be surprised if we won 10 games. There is gonna be games where your guy gives up 7 runs in 2 innings and games where your guy shuts em out. Just the way it is.

brm7675
05-06-2012, 08:50 AM
The issues of this team won't be solved by moving Chapman to the rotation...

DirtyBaker
05-06-2012, 09:45 AM
There are a number of changes that need to happen before this including Frazier being the everyday 3rd baseman, Stubbs batting 8th, and Bruce in the clean-up spot.

So long as Chapman gets stretched out finishes the year as a starter, and reaches his inning limit around the end of the season, Chapman's odd 2012 campaign will not be in vein, and he'll be a huge help down the stretch.

Leake had a really good night last night but it was still against the Pirates who haven't managed 80 runs yet this year. He had went 3 games without a quality start before last night. I still need to see more from Leake otherwise he's the one who needs to go to AAA or the pen to make room for Chapman.

dubc47834
05-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I could be wrong, but from what I remember Leake hasn't been very good in the pen. Maybe the answer is send him down, I don't know, but I don't think the answer is putting Chappy in the rotation. The problem has been the offense, or the lack there of. I like Rolen, but am starting to think maybe he shouldn't be starting almost everyday. Moving Bruce to the 4 spot, I think it could be good, just don't know if he would try too hard. Guess we'll never know until they try it. For this team to go anywhere our offense needs to be more consistant. But, like I saw in another post, if the playoffs started today we would be in, even after this horrible start for the offense,

Ironman92
05-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm going to put more blame on poor plate approaches......and stubbornness within the constructing of the lineup and the using of pitcher's in reverse order in extra innings.

Stray
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I could be wrong, but from what I remember Leake hasn't been very good in the pen. Maybe the answer is send him down, I don't know, but I don't think the answer is putting Chappy in the rotation. The problem has been the offense, or the lack there of. I like Rolen, but am starting to think maybe he shouldn't be starting almost everyday. Moving Bruce to the 4 spot, I think it could be good, just don't know if he would try too hard. Guess we'll never know until they try it. For this team to go anywhere our offense needs to be more consistant. But, like I saw in another post, if the playoffs started today we would be in, even after this horrible start for the offense,

Yeah he hasn't been there a lot, but Leake has been pretty bad out of the pen. You'd almost need to send him down when Chapman makes that move. I guess there's still time, who knows what'll happen before then. Bailey could go on a bad streak, Leake could go on a hot streak, or if history has told us anything we'll more than likely have an injury in the rotation.

One way or another it'll work itself out, but if everyone is healthy it kinda has to be Leake who goes down.

R_Webb18
05-06-2012, 11:01 AM
o theres no way i have leake + lecure in pen and id take lecure b/c it fits his role better.

o i never said chapman would be better im just saying id like to find out.

Bob Sheed
05-06-2012, 12:54 PM

lol spot on. :laugh:

markymark69
05-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I dont disagree. I still think it will happen sooner than later. As far last night, the offense did hit into some tough luck. Votto was robbed twice once on the play at the plate where he was called out and later on the great catch. cozarts double play was a hard hit ball and ludwicks fly ball double play should have never happened.

R_Webb18
05-06-2012, 05:16 PM
yea im not saying it has 2 happen today but by june is a good spot. after all star break seems 2 late

DirtyBaker
05-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Looking ahead, who takes Chapman's place in the bullpen? The Fay's and Sheldon's of the world think there's a chance Masset won't pitch any time soon if at all this year. And something is clearly not right with Bray either, although he is throwing, he hasn't looked good in his recent rehab appearance in Louisville. It's remarkable that without Madsen, Masset, and Bray the bullpen is doing as well as they are.

It may have to come to Jordan Smith or Andrew Brackman. I'm just hoping everyone can stay healthy and Bray can return to form.

Ironman92
05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
It's just too hard to predict bullpen pitchers 3 years from now.

realistic
05-07-2012, 02:08 PM
i actually had a dream last night that Chapman was put in the rotation.

no kidding, literally dreamed about it. i'm both worried and irritated at the same time

improbus
05-09-2012, 05:10 PM
This was an interesting read.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/reds-find-useful-role-for-chapman

brm7675
05-09-2012, 05:38 PM
right now with how over successful our entire pitching staff has done, I am really wondering why mess with it? The bullpen isn't being taxed, the starters more time then not are pitching into the 6+ inning range and keeping the score down, so unless an injury pops up, I am more willing to let things continue as they are at this point.

miamiredskin
05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
hard to disagree with brm.

R_Webb18
05-09-2012, 11:09 PM
b/c come playoff time you will need him

CrosleyField
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Bailey is the pitcher that needs to go. We have waited a long time for him to produce. Leake has not had the chances to turn it around that Bailey has. Leake has been the better pitcher over the last two years.

dubc47834
05-10-2012, 08:03 AM
b/c come playoff time you will need him

A playoff rotation of Cueto, Latos, and Arroyo sounds pretty damn good to me at this point. I know Latos hasn't been to good early, but I believe he will come around.

lidspinner
05-10-2012, 08:24 AM
A playoff rotation of Cueto, Latos, and Arroyo sounds pretty damn good to me at this point. I know Latos hasn't been to good early, but I believe he will come around.

yes but throw Chapman in there....IF he can be as good as a starter as he has been as a bullpen arm then I would take Chapman over any of the back 2 that you mentioned....Latos has shown that he has what it takes to be good but he also has shown that he can make "homer bailey" like mistakes with 2 strike pitches.....Bronson is Bronson, he will look like an all star one day and then look silly the next, so far this year he has looked the part of an all star, lets just hope that continues....throwing Bronson and Chapman back to back would give any teams fits....but if Chapman can have the same success rate starting then I want him as my #2 in the playoffs, no question....hard throwing lefties in the upper 90's with a killer slider just do not come around that often, hardly never....to me that talent is being wasted 1 inning at a time. I hope they are doing this as part of the plan to have Chapman keep his innings down, Chapman might be mowing people down while Stephen Strasburgh will be watching from the bench cause he is shut down....I hope that is the plan, if not, then this front office needs to do some soul searching cause Aroldis is a starter that comes around once in a franchise's lifetime.

Who Dey Time
05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
IMO if we are to see any change in Chapman's role in 2012 it will be to closer. Face facts, Masset probably will not pitch this season, Marshall at closer is still tenuous at best and the rotation is in a fairly good place despite the illogical calls by some for the heads of Bailey and Leake.

Could be wrong but my guess, barring injuries, is that Chapman's first Reds start will come in April 2013.

Kcbuckeye22
05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
IMO if we are to see any change in Chapman's role in 2012 it will be to closer. Face facts, Masset probably will not pitch this season, Marshall at closer is still tenuous at best and the rotation is in a fairly good place despite the illogical calls by some for the heads of Bailey and Leake.

Could be wrong but my guess, barring injuries, is that Chapman's first Reds start will come in April 2013.

Totally agree. If he was starting our bullpen would be taxed and giving up runs. I think Bailey or Leak is going to be a trade chip for either LF or Relief if Chapman starts this season.

malcontent
05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Before they signed Madsen, I thought Chapman would be a good choice as closer.

But he's actually going to throw more innings the way he's being used now.