PDA

View Full Version : down goes Frazier?

icehole3
05-06-2012, 05:12 PM
they said on the broadcast Miguel Cairo will be back monday :(

kaldaniels
05-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Odd thread. Fay said he doubts Todd gets sent down. No need to get bent out of shape right now.

DGullett35
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice thread title:)

Strikes Out Looking
05-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Odd thread. Fay said he doubts Todd gets sent down. No need to get bent out of shape right now.

pre-emptive strike. And it's a better title than Harris bids adieu.

HokieRed
05-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Thread title made me think Frazier had gotten hurt

kaldaniels
05-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Thread title made me think Frazier had gotten hurt

A ? would've done wonders.

Tom Servo
05-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Can't send him down, he has more home runs than Albert Pujols.

DGullett35
05-06-2012, 05:42 PM
good one^

fearofpopvol1
05-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Who is going to get sent down if it's not Frazier? Harris? Valdez? I would personally DFA Valdez, but I don't think the FO is going to do that. I'd be shocked (but happy) if Frazier isn't sent down.

kaldaniels
05-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Who is going to get sent down if it's not Frazier? Harris? Valdez? I would personally DFA Valdez, but I don't think the FO is going to do that. I'd be shocked (but happy) if Frazier isn't sent down.

If I'm guessing, Willie is packing his suitcase.

Scrap Irony
05-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I'd guess it's Harris as well.

mth123
05-06-2012, 07:45 PM

It won't happen, but I'd send Heisey down.

WVRedsFan
05-06-2012, 07:51 PM
My choice also, but everyone sees something in him I can't, so he will stay. I mean, he can bat 30 points lower than Stubbs, and Stubbs gets the heat while Heisy slides. Confusing.

fearofpopvol1
05-06-2012, 07:56 PM

Why? Heisey and Frazier have nearly identical OPS numbers from the minors. Both are utility fielders, but Heisey is a better defender. Not sure why Heisey would be the guy.

fearofpopvol1
05-06-2012, 08:00 PM
My choice also, but everyone sees something in him I can't, so he will stay. I mean, he can bat 30 points lower than Stubbs, and Stubbs gets the heat while Heisy slides. Confusing.

He's cheap, he's a good defender, relatively fast and has power (has been a fabulous pinch hitter too). What's not to like? He's probably not an everyday starter at this point, but he's a good player to have around.

If you're arguing that Frazier should stay, I won't argue with that. As I said, I would DFA Valdez if the Reds are set on keeping Cairo.

PuffyPig
05-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Valdez has to stay as he's the only other SS on the team.

The only choices are really Harris and Frazier.

It will likely be Harris.

fearofpopvol1
05-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Valdez has to stay as he's the only other SS on the team.

The only choices are really Harris and Frazier.

It will likely be Harris.

Frazier could play there. It may be Keppinger like, but it's still an option and if it's not a regular one, it shouldn't be a big deal.

_Sir_Charles_
05-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Frazier could play there. It may be Keppinger like, but it's still an option and if it's not a regular one, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I've said this from day one, but I pretty much got laughed off the board.

dougdirt
05-06-2012, 09:59 PM
I've said this from day one, but I pretty much got laughed off the board.

I must have selective memory. I recall a lot of people being on board with that idea, but saying there is no way that the Reds would do it.

PuffyPig
05-06-2012, 10:33 PM

He could play there on an emergency basis.

He's not getting any starts there.

Kc61
05-06-2012, 10:59 PM
If the Reds think Frazier is ready to stay in the majors, the two guys he could replace logically are Cairo or Ludwick.

If Todd can split time with Rolen, he should replace Cairo. I don't see that happening.

If Todd can handle left field, he should replace Ludwick.

Reds should consider trading Ludwick to fill another need. A lefty bench player who hits more than Harris would be one possibility. A medium prospect would be another.

I don't see Ludwick's role on this team. He is another righty free swinger. I hope he gets very hot and proves me wrong, but so far I don't see his role here.

Heisey can play CF, so he potentially has more value and I wouldn't be so fast to dump him.

redsof72
05-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Some are reporting that Cairo will be activated Monday, but Fay says that Dusty is not ready to say that. Cairo in Dayton did not look quite ready. 0 for 10, nothing out of the infield. I would not be surprised if he spends 2-3 days with Louisville.

Odd thing: He hit 8th in the lineup, as if they were not concerned with getting him the highest number of possible at-bats. Maybe that's because they know he just isn't quite ready.

Under any circumstances, hard to imagine they send Frazier down. They need a left-handed bat on the bench, but surely he stays.

Chip R
05-07-2012, 12:17 AM
He could play there on an emergency basis.

He's not getting any starts there.

I agree. If Cozart gets hurt in a game, Frazier can play there for the remainder of the game and they can call someone else up after that. Watching Willie Harris displeases me.

05-07-2012, 12:23 AM
I agree. If Cozart gets hurt in a game, Frazier can play there for the remainder of the game and they can call someone else up after that. Watching Willie Harris displeases me.

If the Reds send down Valdez, that means 162 starts for Cozart if he stays healthy. He's going to need a day off every now and then. Do we really want to watch Frazier starting at SS that often?

Chip R
05-07-2012, 12:28 AM
If the Reds send down Valdez, that means 162 starts for Cozart if he stays healthy. He's going to need a day off every now and then. Do we really want to watch Frazier starting at SS that often?

You mean Harris?

Cozart has been given a few starts off already. He's young. I'm not going to worry about him. I seem to remember a SS who played not too long ago, name of Ripken, who played every day. If they are really concerned about Cozart, call up Gregorius. He's a lefty hitter and I can't imagine him being worse than Harris.

05-07-2012, 12:34 AM
You mean Harris?

Cozart has been given a few starts off already. He's young. I'm not going to worry about him. I seem to remember a SS who played not too long ago, name of Ripken, who played every day. If they are really concerned about Cozart, call up Gregorius. He's a lefty hitter and I can't imagine him being worse than Harris.

Harris is not the backup SS. Valdez is.

reds44
05-07-2012, 12:38 AM
There's no reason for it to be anybody other than Harris.

Chip R
05-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Harris is not the backup SS. Valdez is.

Well, who was talking about Valdez? I was talking about getting rid of Harris.

mth123
05-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Why? Heisey and Frazier have nearly identical OPS numbers from the minors. Both are utility fielders, but Heisey is a better defender. Not sure why Heisey would be the guy.

Because Heisey needs to go down and play every day for a couple of weeks while Ludwick plays himself into a starting role or off the roster in the majors. Walt can get busy trying to make a move to fix the roster. By Memorial Day, Heisey is either:

1. dealt for a Lefty bat who replaces Harris,
2. called up to replace some one else who is dealt for a lefty bat (Frazier?) who replaces Harris
3. called up to replace Ludwick who is cut loose if he doesn't grab the job
4. called back up to replace somebody else who may be injured or deserving of a trip to AAA or DFAville.

Right now I'd like to see him get a couple weeks worth of PAs on a regular basis. It may just be postponing the decision, but it would be useful and would allow the team to try to get a guy going who can't seem to get on any kind of roll with the strange roster configuration that leaves the team with a lopsided offense, a wierd LF rotation and Willie Harris taking up space because the team just doesn't have a decent LH option.

Ron Madden
05-07-2012, 03:42 AM
It should be a crime against Baseball to send Frazier down and keep Harris on the roster. I don't care if Harris does bat Left handed he can't hit as good as Frazier.

05-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Well, who was talking about Valdez? I was talking about getting rid of Harris.

Getting rid of Harris doesn't effect the SS position. I assumed you were talking about Valdez because you were talking about Frazier playing SS. Sorry for the confusion.

GAC
05-07-2012, 06:01 AM
It better not come down to a "business" decision, and that they simply sent Frazier back because he has options. Harris needs to be gone..... PERIOD! End of problem.

cumberlandreds
05-07-2012, 08:44 AM
It should be a crime against Baseball to send Frazier down and keep Harris on the roster. I don't care if Harris does bat Left handed he can't hit as good as Frazier.

Well said. If they send Frazier down they are doing a total disservice to the team. Harris should be released. Valdez is OK for what he does. I just look at him as an older version of Janish.

jhu1321
05-07-2012, 10:11 AM
If Fazier is sent down it will be an atrocious decision from the FO. No doubt, Dusty wants to keep Willy, so please Jocketty......... over-rule and keep Frazier up. :thumbup:

mbgrayson
05-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I quick look at the stats:

Todd Frazier, age 26:
2012: .389/.476/.889 for an OPS of 1.365 in 21 plate appearances.
2011: .232/.289/.438 for an OPS of .727 in 121 plate appearances.

Willie Harris, age 34 in June:
2012: .086/.135/.143 for an OPS of .278 in 37 plate appearances.
2011: .246/.351/.317 for an OPS of .668 in 283 plate appearances.

Even if we disregard the massive difference in 2012 stats, Frazier was better LAST year, is younger, better in the field, and cheaper.

I think it's time for Mr. Harris to pack his bags once Cairo comes off the DL. I'm just not sure they should call up Miguel until he gets it going a little more in the minors.

OesterPoster
05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Not that it's earth-shattering news, but Todd's wife Tweeted the following a short time ago:

Jackie Frazier ‏ @JFraz14

Anxious to see what the day brings ��

Tom Servo
05-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Not that it's earth-shattering news, but Todd's wife Tweeted the following a short time ago:

Now with all due respect to Frazier, Latos, and their wives...is it me or do Jackie Frazier and Dallas Latos look a lot alike.

https://p.twimg.com/AsKOMfyCEAE1xzu.jpg:largehttp://www.athleteswives.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Dallas-Latos.jpg

Vottomatic
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM

:thumbup:

and a big thumbs up for thread title.

Vottomatic
05-07-2012, 04:07 PM

I'm curious what last night brought. :D

Vottomatic
05-07-2012, 04:08 PM
It better not come down to a "business" decision, and that they simply sent Frazier back because he has options. Harris needs to be gone..... PERIOD! End of problem.

That's the kind of stuff that really turns alot of Reds fans off.

bucksfan2
05-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Not necessarily. Sometimes the right "business" decision is also the right baseball decision. Frazier has been hot over the past two weeks in Cincy. But doesn't that scream "small sample size?" If Harris is cast off what kind of depth does that leave the Reds with? Valakia and Janish?

Managing your 40 man roster is about the entire season and not just a good 2 week spell or a bad two weeks spell. Its about what makes your team better to to bottom throughout the entire season, not what the fans want after 1/5th of the season has past.

Tony Cloninger
05-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Not necessarily. Sometimes the right "business" decision is also the right baseball decision. Frazier has been hot over the past two weeks in Cincy. But doesn't that scream "small sample size?" If Harris is cast off what kind of depth does that leave the Reds with? Valakia and Janish?

Managing your 40 man roster is about the entire season and not just a good 2 week spell or a bad two weeks spell. Its about what makes your team better to to bottom throughout the entire season, not what the fans want after 1/5th of the season has past.

Negron is also available. Harris is just not someone that they should sweat over worrying about letting go.

Blake DeWitt is also soon to be available.

PuffyPig
05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Negron is also available. Harris is just not someone that they should sweat over worrying about letting go.

Harris is aprt of the OF depth, not middle infield.

Tony Cloninger
05-07-2012, 04:36 PM

Tell that to the poster who I responded to.

kaldaniels
05-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Fay reports Willie was leaving Miller Park!!!

LvJ
05-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Fay reports Willie was leaving Miller Park!!!
:beerme::beerme::beerme::beerme:

mattfeet
05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
John Fay ‏ @johnfayman

Asked Harris if something happened. Shook his head yes. He was on the phone. No announcement from #Reds

Tony Cloninger
05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Are we sure he is not just going out for a burger?

Tony Cloninger
05-07-2012, 05:00 PM

My apologies for sounding flippant. Bucksfan was naming MI as being short on depth....and it seems Dusty used Harris more at 2B and 3B than as an OF.

kaldaniels
05-07-2012, 05:03 PM
http://www.clevescene.com/images/blogimages/2011/07/01/1309545397-arrested-development-one-armed-man.jpg

And thats why you wait until the front office makes a move before complaining about it!

mattfeet
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
John Fay ‏ @johnfayman

It's official: Harris outrighted to Louisville. He has 72 hours to report. Cairo activated. #reds

kaldaniels
05-07-2012, 05:05 PM
I hope Todd Frazier is the feel good story of the year.

LvJ
05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
John Fay ‏ @johnfayman

It's official: Harris outrighted to Louisville. He has 72 hours to report. Cairo activated. #reds All of RedsZone right now:

http://i.imgur.com/TWvNz.gif

PuffyPig
05-07-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.clevescene.com/images/blogimages/2011/07/01/1309545397-arrested-development-one-armed-man.jpg

And thats why you wait until the front office makes a move before complaining about it!

That will never happen......

RichRed
05-07-2012, 05:14 PM
But how much playing time will Frazier get, now that Cairo's back?

/wet blanket

Tom Servo
05-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Willie, maybe you end up contributing later this season. But for now, you had to go.

BCubb2003
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Willie, maybe you end up contributing later this season. But for now, you had to go.

I like that sentiment.

Bumstead
05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you Walt Jockety!

Vottomatic
05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Based on past experience, I thought they'd for sure screw this decision up.

lollipopcurve
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Based on past experience, I thought they'd for sure screw this decision up.

Yeah, I was worried. It really would have been a travesty if they'd kept Harris and shipped out Frazier again.

05-07-2012, 05:39 PM

It's a good decision, but I'll never celebrate a guy losing his job.

05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Interesting note, Harris was born in Cairo, GA. So Cairo makes a beginning and an end for Harris.

Kc61
05-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Hopefully at least one additional move is coming. Bring in a lefty hitter. There are several candidates to depart.

WVRedsFan
05-07-2012, 06:26 PM

It's a good decision, but I'll never celebrate a guy losing his job.Feel the same way. I always like to trade away fodder instead of releasing it. I guess there wasn't any market for him either before he came here or now. That speaks volumes.

RedlegJake
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I don't envy the life of an edge of the roster player like Harris - you're never really appreciated and people actually cheer when you get hurt or fired but these guys bust their tails for the team the same as the stars. I'm glad if the roster can be improved but I send them off with well wishes and thanks for the time they were here. Willie was the one to go logically but I hope he gets a shot to play somewhere else on a big league team again. Baseball is a tough business - its people but you can't be emotional about them if you want to be successful. Sometimes that's tough for me - I tend to get attached to players even when I know in my head they aren't getting it done.

yab1112
05-07-2012, 07:59 PM

membengal
05-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Perfect Arrested Development reference. Props in all respects.

redsmetz
05-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Feel the same way. I always like to trade away fodder instead of releasing it. I guess there wasn't any market for him either before he came here or now. That speaks volumes.

If he opts for free agency, then he loses the pay he's getting for this year, isn't that the way it works? It's possible the Reds can move him. The other team would be paying a pro-rated share of the minimum salary and we could toss in some cash to cover the balance. So it's not out of the question (although not a given either).

klw
05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Harris seems to be maintaining a positive attitude about this; he is quite active on Twitter. Comes across as a good guy, hopefully he gets his bat going in Louisville.

http://twitter.com/#!/22DSGB

Willie Harris ‏ @22DSGB
Well well well got sent to AAA today and I totally understand why, but I'll bounce back, Good luck to the REDS. Thanks for all the support!!

Willie Harris ‏ @22DSGB
Character is tested when things are not going well for you. But the ? Is how do you respond. Stay tuned @22DSGB is not done yet!!!!

Willie Harris ‏ @22DSGB
3-35 HORRIBLE I know, but don't throw me to wolves yet.. Baseball is a crazy game and I know that. It only takes ONE at bat and watch out.

Willie Harris ‏ @22DSGB
@jwreds1129 I'm a straight up guy when I suck thats exactly what it is, when I'm playing well I'm sure I'll get the love.

Joe Lankford ‏ @SifuJoe79
@22DSGB Good luck, Willie. Us reds fans can be hard on the players. Myself included. At the end of the day we all want you to succeed though
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
26m Willie Harris ‏ @22DSGB
@SifuJoe79 yeah I know and it's totally understandable. Comes with the territory.

PuffyPig
05-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Harris seems to be maintaining a positive attitude about this; he is quite active on Twitter. Comes across as a good guy, hopefully he gets his bat going in Louisville.

http://twitter.com/#!/22DSGB

Great post, thanks.

camisadelgolf
05-08-2012, 01:25 AM
At least one of those tweets came from a RedsZoner.

cumberlandreds
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM

http://twitter.com/#!/22DSGB (http://twitter.com/#!/22DSGB)

Thanks for posting that. Harris is class act. I posted in another thread about him tossing a ball to a teen age kid in DC before a game. He went out of his way to do that and I thought it was classy of him. I wish him the best and wish it could have worked out.

Tommyjohn25
05-08-2012, 11:21 AM
At least one of those tweets came from a RedsZoner.

Haha! The last one was me.

OesterPoster
05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Awesome animated gif of Frazier's air guitar last night in the dugout:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1106800/FrazierAirGuitar-small.gif