PDA

View Full Version : Now Pitching for the Red Sox... (BOS vs BAL)

RedsManRick
05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Darnell McDonald is currently pitching for the Red Sox...

And he just gave up a 3 run bomb to Adam Jones... Fun stuff!

Top of the 17th and the Orioles Chris Davis pitched the bottom of the 16th and is on to close. Hitting 89 on the gun.

_Sir_Charles_
05-06-2012, 08:53 PM
That was some fun stuff to watch. Davis actually had some movement on his pitches. Seeing him strike out Adrian Gonzales was a trip. :O)

klw
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Darnell McDonald entered the game as a pinch runner, was then the DH, pitched an inning and took the loss, and hit into a game ending double play when the other pitcher was a position player who threw two scoreless innings for the win. Just another day at the ballpark.

reds1869
05-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Davis was in the starting lineup for my fantasy team. If only I could have used him as a pitcher. :laugh:

Spitball
05-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I was at a game at Fenway in 1991 when Steve Lyons pitched. The place went wild even though the Sox were down a bunch of runs versus the Twins.

I also remember Paul O'Neill pitcing against the Braves. Also, the Yankees used Rocky Colavito in a game. Their manager (maybe Ralph Houk) said it was the toughest decision he'd had to make as a manager. A reporter asked if he meant pitching Colavito (an outfielder) and he said, "No, taking him out of the game." Pretty funny for a Yankee.

HeatherC1212
05-07-2012, 12:31 AM
That game was insane! Both teams needed to have Paul Janish for the extra innings, LOL :laugh:

Caveat Emperor
05-07-2012, 01:03 AM
The position player pitching is like nature's reward for having to endure 5-6 innings of horrendous baseball in extras.

Orenda
05-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Darnell McDonald is currently pitching for the Red Sox...

And he just gave up a 3 run bomb to Adam Jones... Fun stuff!

Top of the 17th and the Orioles Chris Davis pitched the bottom of the 16th and is on to close. Hitting 89 on the gun.

Got to hand it to Darnell McDonald, what a team player trying to help out, surprised Francona had him out there being a 2-time WS winning manager, but those things happen in 17 inning games...so i won't blow it up and call for the head of a good manager. :lol:

Tom Servo
05-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Got to hand it to Darnell McDonald, what a team player trying to help out, surprised Francona had him out there being a 2-time WS winning manager, but those things happen in 17 inning games...so i won't blow it up and call for the head of a good manager. :lol:
I guess Bobby V's job is safe when people forget he's the manager.

Orenda
05-07-2012, 07:06 AM
I guess Bobby V's job is safe when people forget he's the manager.

You mean the guy we sent to go pick up the chicken and beer?

cumberlandreds
05-07-2012, 07:38 AM
I saw the last couple of innings while flipping around to the different games. It was fun to watch. I was wondering when the last MLB game ended with two position players pitching? I can't ever recall seeing this. Davis wasn't too bad for the O's. I've seen worse for the Reds in the past.

Tom Servo
05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I saw the last couple of innings while flipping around to the different games. It was fun to watch. I was wondering when the last MLB game ended with two position players pitching? I can't ever recall seeing this. Davis wasn't too bad for the O's. I've seen worse for the Reds in the past.
I think I read yesterday that it was, like, 1925 the last time that happened.

BCubb2003
05-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Is a DH really a position player though? Just kidding. It was quite a scene.

cumberlandreds
05-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I think I read yesterday that it was, like, 1925 the last time that happened.

Thanks! No wonder I couldn't remember it. I'm not quite that old, yet.

chicoruiz
05-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Great quote by Davis, who went 0 for 8 in the game:

"When they told me I was pitching, I said "Well, that's cool because the hitting thing isn't working out so good'"...

blumj
05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Great quote by Davis, who went 0 for 8 in the game:

"When they told me I was pitching, I said "Well, that's cool because the hitting thing isn't working out so good'"...
Adrian Gonzalez wanted to pitch, too, they should have let him.