PDA

View Full Version : Hamels admits purposefully hitting Harper

mikdavrut
05-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I think everybody KNEW that he did it on purpose, but I sure never expected that he would come right out and admit it :eek:

I personally think admitting it was a pretty stupid move on his part. What in the world does he think he is going to accomplish that has any positive aspect to it whatsoever with his "honesty"?

swaisuc
05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I respect him for not lying about it. If anything he could've just said "no comment" though. The suspensions for SP's usually only push them back 1 day anyway though, so he's hardly killing his team here. I'm sure his teammates liked it.

joshua
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't understand why he'd be suspended for this. Plunking the rookie of a rival to send him a message saying "This ain't the minors anymore" is nothing new. Now, if he threw a heater and hit him in the face or in the family circus that would be a different story...

lidspinner
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't understand why he'd be suspended for this. Plunking the rookie of a rival to send him a message saying "This ain't the minors anymore" is nothing new. Now, if he threw a heater and hit him in the face or in the family circus that would be a different story...

I agree to a extent...its part of the game and a part that I love...but Cole threw at him, what if the pitch got away from him a little bit and he hit him in the helmet or face? then what? you have to suspend him for a few games and leave it at that. not a big deal here, I expect Bryce to get hit a few more times as the season goes on...kid is sitting dead red on pitchers trying to overpower him, as he keeps rocking the fastballs pitchers will start pitching harder inside to push him back and make him think about sitting on that fastball.

lidspinner
05-07-2012, 10:46 AM
this also got me thinking, what if Cole comes out today and says, "I was joking, didnt mean to hit him, I only said I was to give you guys what you wanted to hear"....

does the commish still suspend him? kind of a weird situation if Cole decides to back off those comments. not sure if we have ever seen this happen where a pitcher admits to hitting a batter before. I am sure its happened, just not that I can remember

Alpha Zero
05-07-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm glad Hamels hit Harper. Enthusiasm and hustle are one thing, but Harper has gone beyond that on a couple of occasions already. The helmet flip while rounding first in his major league debut and the way that he pawed at the catcher's mitt to knock the ball loose last Wednesday are a couple of good examples. I'm okay with some exuberance, but he needed to be knocked down a peg. I'm not sure if that makes me old school or what, but I was glad to see it.

SidneySlicker
05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
It was a matter of time until it happened and it will continue too if he doesn't tone down the swagger. It was, however very dumb of Cole to tell the world his intent.

mikdavrut
05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I just do not understand coming right out and saying "yeah, I hit him on purpose" and then going on with his explanations as to "why" he did it. Everybody already KNEW that it was done purposefully and Zimmerman got retribution for it by hitting him in the leg as well....for that matter, Harper got him back for it by aggressively taking 3rd on a single and then stealing home on a throw over to first. Harper pretty much made Hamels look stupid :laugh:

I haven't followed the whole "Bryce Harper saga" like many others, last year was really the first I had ever even heard of the kid. I remember him getting kicked out of a minor league game last year and a few people (analysts and the like) making a big deal out of it (saying it was nothing more than a grand display of immaturity and stuff of that nature - c'mon.....maybe it WAS a bit of "immaturity", but it's not like nearly every guy that has played the game has not been thrown out at least once during their career(s)).

I hear all the time about how the kid is extremely cocky and arrogant, and that may very well be...I personally don't know. As I said, I haven't been following his career closely whatsoever. All I do know is that what I have seen of the kid since he got the call-up gives me the impression that he is one hell of a baller. The kid hustles his ass off. He is very aggressive. I absolutely like what little I have seen of him and would LOVE it if he wore the Reds uniform, I can sure as hell tell you that.

At the very young age of 19, the kid is showing every sign that he is going to be one HELL of a baseball player once he gets some more experience under his belt. Color me very impressed with the small sample size I'm judging him by.

One thing Hamels admission has given me is some laughs....I've read a few comments saying that he should be charged with "assault" and other asinine things :lol:

I'm simply wondering if it was a "welcome to the big leagues, son" msg. that Hamels was sending & nothing more or if Hamels really feels as though Harper is being "coddled" too much (ie...umpires giving him an expanded strike zone or possibly feeling as though Harper didn't do his fair amount of "time" and was pushed through the minors far too quickly for his likings).

Any which way, Harper got the "best" of that particular situation even if the Phillies certainly got the best of the Nationals for the game.

Also, I think I heard that Werth's wrist was indeed broken, as I was fairly certain after seeing the replay that it most likely would be. Not sure how severely that will end up impacting the current 1st place Nats, but it certainly isn't going to help anything. I remember very clearly when Jay Bruce broke his wrist on a similar play back in '09.

Stray
05-07-2012, 10:58 AM
He'll get suspended just because he admitted it. I don't have any issue with hitting him in the back though, I'd say he'll get a few of those.

texasdave
05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
He'll get suspended just because he admitted it. I don't have any issue with hitting him in the back though, I'd say he'll get a few of those.

Help me understand this line of thinking. This is what Harper got drilled with per Gameday:
93 MPH Fastball (Four-seam) Hit By Pitch

You don't have a problem with that? I wonder if you would have a problem with it if you were in the batter's box and Hamels drilled you at 93. I'm guessing that wouldn't go over all that well with you.

Hit him again. Crazy. Plunk his rookie ass a bunch of times. It's all good.

By the way, if a pitcher can throw a ball at a hitter, can a hitter throw his bat back at the pitcher? If the former is good to go, I don't see why the latter wouldn't be.

I mean if we are all manning up and everything.

mikdavrut
05-07-2012, 11:26 AM
It was a matter of time until it happened and it will continue if he doesn't tone down the swagger. It was however very dumb of Cole, however to tell the world his intent.
As I mentioned, I haven't been following Harper much at all. Basically all I have heard are the highlights of the games he has played in so w/out actually watching him, I have not really noticed the "swagger" that I hear spoken of in regards to Harper.

If he does, in fact, play with quite a bit of "swagger" and exudes a high degree of ego, I have to say that it IS quite understandable. If I had been in his shoes at 19 years of age, I would have probably had an ego the size of Great American Ball Park. Actually, it probably would have been more around the size of Petco :laugh:

Slowly but surely, he'll lose a lot of any swagger/ego that he possesses as he goes through slumps that are sure to come his way as well as missing some plays that should be made (case in point, the fly ball he missed last night).

One can never, ever, in the great game of baseball predict a players trajectory with anywhere near 100% certainty, of course. Especially not a player that is merely 19 years old. A good example would be the D-Train: 2003 Rookie of the Year, finishing 2nd only to Chris Carpenter for the Cy-Young award in 2005, only to seemingly "lose it" by '07/'08. (And getting off-topic here for a second, I honestly, as good as Dontrelle seems to be able to swing the stick, have no idea why he doesn't give becoming a position player a shot :confused:).

I know comparing a pitcher to a position player is like night/day, but it still goes to show that one can start out in this game lights out and looking like a future all-star for years to come only for things to quickly go south. I honestly do not see that happening to Bryce, I DO think he is going to be a future multi-year-all-star, but you can NEVER EVER take the game of baseball for granted. It is a game that MUST be respected on all levels and I'm sure that Bryce will lose some of that good 'ole "I'm THE man" attitude soon enough.

bmwreds31
05-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Help me understand this line of thinking. This is what Harper got drilled with per Gameday:

You don't have a problem with that? I wonder if you would have a problem with it if you were in the batter's box and Hamels drilled you at 93. I'm guessing that wouldn't go over all that well with you.

By the way, if a pitcher can throw a ball at a hitter, can a hitter throw his bat back at the pitcher? If the former is good to go, I don't see why the latter wouldn't be.

lol serious business bro.

Relax. Hit by a pitch is all part of the game. Im guessing you may be one of those types of NFL fans that wants to take the contact out of football.

He's a rookie he got plunked. I actually think its funny that cole admitted to it. Kudos to him for that. As for how Harper should react.

Take it as a compliment and best way to get him back is Jack one off him next time up.

dubc47834
05-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm glad Hamels hit Harper. Enthusiasm and hustle are one thing, but Harper has gone beyond that on a couple of occasions already. The helmet flip while rounding first in his major league debut and the way that he pawed at the catcher's mitt to knock the ball loose last Wednesday are a couple of good examples. I'm okay with some exuberance, but he needed to be knocked down a peg. I'm not sure if that makes me old school or what, but I was glad to see it.

Yeah...and I was glad to see Harper go from 1st to 3rd and then steal home on the idiot. Tossing your helmet off while running is not disrespectful to anyone. John Kruk was saying that lots of people have done that over the years. also, people try to knock the ball outa gloves all the time. I don't think the kid has really done anything to disrespect any players. He has just played the game hard, and if people don't like that, they they probly enjoy guys jogging to 1st, missing the cut off, and everything else that happens in todays game. I have watched multiple Harper games so far and don't get what people are talking about. He also hasn't said anything in interviews either that would lend me to believe he is being disrespectful. I know he had a few issues down in the minors, but thats not what people are complaining about now.

dubc47834
05-07-2012, 12:00 PM
As I mentioned, I haven't been following Harper much at all. Basically all I have heard are the highlights of the games he has played in so w/out actually watching him, I have not really noticed the "swagger" that I hear spoken of in regards to Harper.

If he does, in fact, play with quite a bit of "swagger" and exudes a high degree of ego, I have to say that it IS quite understandable. If I had been in his shoes at 19 years of age, I would have probably had an ego the size of Great American Ball Park. Actually, it probably would have been more around the size of Petco :laugh:

Slowly but surely, he'll lose a lot of any swagger/ego that he possesses as he goes through slumps that are sure to come his way as well as missing some plays that should be made (case in point, the fly ball he missed last night).

One can never, ever, in the great game of baseball predict a players trajectory with anywhere near 100% certainty, of course. Especially not a player that is merely 19 years old. A good example would be the D-Train: 2003 Rookie of the Year, finishing 2nd only to Chris Carpenter for the Cy-Young award in 2005, only to seemingly "lose it" by '07/'08. (And getting off-topic here for a second, I honestly, as good as Dontrelle seems to be able to swing the stick, have no idea why he doesn't give becoming a position player a shot :confused:).

I know comparing a pitcher to a position player is like night/day, but it still goes to show that one can start out in this game lights out and looking like a future all-star for years to come only for things to quickly go south. I honestly do not see that happening to Bryce, I DO think he is going to be a future multi-year-all-star, but you can NEVER EVER take the game of baseball for granted. It is a game that MUST be respected on all levels and I'm sure that Bryce will lose some of that good 'ole "I'm THE man" attitude soon enough.

Well said man....well said.

:beerme:

Stray
05-07-2012, 12:05 PM

I'm not a professional baseball player so obviously I'd have a problem with it. I think everyone understands that there are a lot of unwritten rules in baseball, and that players operate under some sort of understanding that is unspoken or whatev. He's a rookie getting all of the hype, he comes into the league with a reputation for being a massive punk, and Hamels put one on his back.

Had he thrown one high that would be a totally different story, but you know there are times when a pitcher is going to throw at a guy. It's just the way baseball has always been played and I'm sure the players all get it.

Alpha Zero
05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah...and I was glad to see Harper go from 1st to 3rd and then steal home on the idiot. Tossing your helmet off while running is not disrespectful to anyone. John Kruk was saying that lots of people have done that over the years. also, people try to knock the ball outa gloves all the time. I don't think the kid has really done anything to disrespect any players. He has just played the game hard, and if people don't like that, they they probly enjoy guys jogging to 1st, missing the cut off, and everything else that happens in todays game. I have watched multiple Harper games so far and don't get what people are talking about. He also hasn't said anything in interviews either that would lend me to believe he is being disrespectful. I know he had a few issues down in the minors, but thats not what people are complaining about now.

I haven't heard any interviews with Harper, so I can't speak to that point. Still, I stand by my assessment of the two plays that I cited previously. If you're a rookie and you just got your first MLB hit, you don't chuck your helmet while rounding 1B. Harper isn't bigger than the game, so he shouldn't act like it. Also, I'm okay with running over a catcher who's blocking the plate, but the way Harper swatted at the catcher's glove was akin to the ARod-Arroyo slapping incident from the '04 ALCS. I love the hustle, but Harper needs to tone down the showmanship.

takealeake
05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I think Harper got him back by stealing home.

TeamSelig
05-07-2012, 01:36 PM
The only bad thing about this.... it's "acceptable" for pitchers to plunk batters, but it becomes a huge deal when said batter charges the mound.

Hopefully the Nats give them some pay back. Should make for some interesting baseball.

mikdavrut
05-07-2012, 02:04 PM
The only bad thing about this.... it's "acceptable" for pitchers to plunk batters, but it becomes a huge deal when said batter charges the mound.

Hopefully the Nats give them some pay back. Should make for some interesting baseball.

The Nats already gave them their pay back. Zimmerman clocked Hamels in the leg.

Although personally, I would say that Harper totally OWNED Hamels when he made that steal of home plate :thumbup:

So really, Hamels got it back two-fold.

DocRed
05-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Good for Hamels.

dubc47834
05-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I haven't heard any interviews with Harper, so I can't speak to that point. Still, I stand by my assessment of the two plays that I cited previously. If you're a rookie and you just got your first MLB hit, you don't chuck your helmet while rounding 1B. Harper isn't bigger than the game, so he shouldn't act like it. Also, I'm okay with running over a catcher who's blocking the plate, but the way Harper swatted at the catcher's glove was akin to the ARod-Arroyo slapping incident from the '04 ALCS. I love the hustle, but Harper needs to tone down the showmanship.

I kinda get what you're sayin, I just don't think that tossing your helmet off is a sign of being bigger than the game. Other people have done it, I have never heard anyone complain about it before. I didn't see the swatting the ball play, so I can't really attest to it, I just know that it happens quit often, or at least more often than you would think.

In interviews he has been fairly humble, had nothing but thanks to his team mates. I haven't heard anything that says "Im the greatest" thinking yet. I think most of the negative stuff is coming from what people have heard from him in the minors. I know he showed some players up then.

texasdave
05-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Werth out for 3 months with a broken wrist.

Jr's Boy
05-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Yeah he aimed right for him,that's for sure.

R_Webb18
05-08-2012, 02:20 AM
I think Harper got him back by stealing home.

yea but hamels did throw 8 ip and won so im sure he's happy

joshua
05-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Not to mention Harper's attitude sucks. He's the Anti-BP. He regularly ignores fans or tells them to get lost when they ask for autographs, even kids. Throwing you rhelmet after a post-season series winning walk off...understandable. But in a regular season game? And blowing a kiss at a pitcher after hitting a homer? Bush league.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of this idiot. If the media portrayed him as the cocky show boating idiot instead of the messiah of baseball, I guarantee he'd be the most hated man in sports. But they've already made of up their mind and decided that MLB needs it's own Tim Tebow. Even if he starts a two month long slump, we'll see daily stories of "When will Bryce bounce back?" and such.

dubc47834
05-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Not to mention Harper's attitude sucks. He's the Anti-BP. He regularly ignores fans or tells them to get lost when they ask for autographs, even kids. Throwing you rhelmet after a post-season series winning walk off...understandable. But in a regular season game? And blowing a kiss at a pitcher after hitting a homer? Bush league.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of this idiot. If the media portrayed him as the cocky show boating idiot instead of the messiah of baseball, I guarantee he'd be the most hated man in sports. But they've already made of up their mind and decided that MLB needs it's own Tim Tebow. Even if he starts a two month long slump, we'll see daily stories of "When will Bryce bounce back?" and such.

WOW MAN.... I'm sure you never did anything when you were 18-19 years old that the old crowd thought was "Bush League", and not just in baseball, but life. What are you talking about telling fans to get lost, I have never heard of that, and since he has been with the Nats from what I understand has been great, no attitude problems at all. NONE. I've already talked about the helmet deal, it's retarded to hold that against the kid, lots of people have done it over the years. He has had issues in the past, but the kid is 19 friggin years old, give him a chance. Someone has given all of us a chance when we were young!!!!

:beerme:

Bob Sheed
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
If some dude threw a 93 mph fastball at me on purpose and admitted it?

I'd be waiting for him at the locker room exit with a soon-to-be 75mph fastball in my right hand, and Adam Dunn's Louisville Slugger in my left.

Yes I know the "unspoken rules of baseball." But Hamels "speaking" about it, kind of throws all of that out the window.

I'm sorry but you don't throw a 93mph ANYTHING at somebody. What if his accuracy was off a bit, Harper couldn't get out of the way in time, and Hamels hit him in the face? For being "cocky?"

And no, I'm not one of those who wants the NFL to be touch-football. I am quite the baseball purist, and I am all for the unspoken rules. But again, if they are unspoken, then why was Hamels talking about it?

TSJ55
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM

This is too comical. I had to register and comment after lurking for a few weeks. You know nothing about what kind of interaction took place between Harper and that pitcher. My bet is you don't know anything for sure about his alleged bad attitude either. Dropping the helmet while running may be the most nit-picky non-issue I've seen whined about ever. Geez, talk about making your mind up regardless of real information.
Pot, meet kettle.

New York Red
05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
My opinion: Hamels let jealousy get to him in the heat of the battle and plunked the kid who's getting so much publicity. As a former athlete (oldschool variety), I can somewhat understand that, even though I didn't play that way myself. But to admit after the game he did it intentionally, was stupid, even if most observers probably already assumed it was intentional. However, the story should have ended after the Nats returned the favor by plunking Hamels later in the game, especially considering Harper had already one-upped him by stealing home.

Instead, ESPN has run this story into the ground, like they do everything else. Now you have the Nats' GM coming out and calling for Hamels to get a 15-game suspension (which is crazy). I wonder what old-schoolers like Drysdale and Gibson would think of that? It amazes me how PC sports have become, and IMO it's partly because of ESPN. They dramatize and overanalyze stories so much these days (Tebow, Jeremy Lin, etc), it's gotten to the point of being ridiculous. This Harper/Hamels "story" is just the latest example.

TSJ55
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
He didn't go head hunting so I really don't have a problem with Hamels hitting Harper. It was kind of lame, but whatever. Like NYR said, Bryce clowened him by stealing home and being the bigger man in post game anyway. If CH would have just kept quiet and not been such an attention hound by admitting he threw it intentionally, then the sitution would have ended on the field when he was hit in the leg.

jwmann2
05-09-2012, 04:42 AM
This will only be in the news until he returns from suspension. And then one again when Hamels faces Harper once more. Harper should be in Triple A right now. Now way should players move thru the minors that quickly.

Ironman92
05-09-2012, 06:48 AM
This will only be in the news until he returns from suspension. And then one again when Hamels faces Harper once more. Harper should be in Triple A right now. Now way should players move thru the minors that quickly.

Dave Winfield disagrees.

lidspinner
05-09-2012, 08:20 AM

says who? maybe the nats want that hustle and determination shown to the vets on a daily basis....Rizzo and Johnson know what they are doing and they are trying to step outside the box and I commend them for it....the Nats are wanting to compete this year and this is their best option....kid can learn up here just as he can down there....why not let him take his lumps up with the big squad....wish more teams would follow suit.