PDA

View Full Version : Ludwick vs Heisey in Dusty Baker's distorted mind

Kingspoint
05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Why does Ludwick get nearly 3 times as many plate appearances vs Left-handed pitching (28 vs 11) than Heisey?

Is Dusty trying to sabotage the stats by giving Ludwick all of the easy matchups?

Is he trying to justify why Veterans, such as Rolen and Harris and Ludwick should get more playing time over the likes of Frazier, Heisey, etc., by intentionally giving the better opportunities to the Veterans, veterans who can't hit worth a didly, anyway?

Magdal
05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Why does Ludwick get nearly 3 times as many plate appearances vs Left-handed pitching (28 vs 11) than Heisey?

Is Dusty trying to sabotage the stats by giving Ludwick all of the easy matchups?

Is he trying to justify why Veterans, such as Rolen and Harris and Ludwick should get more playing time over the likes of Frazier, Heisey, etc., by intentionally giving the better opportunities to the Veterans, veterans who can't hit worth a didly, anyway?Could be, but you already know that Dusty is nutzsy.

Ironman92
05-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Is he trying to justify why Veterans, such as Rolen and Harris and Ludwick should get more playing time over the likes of Frazier, Heisey, etc., by intentionally giving the better opportunities to the Veterans, veterans who can't hit worth a didly, anyway?

Too in depth for Dusty.

redsfan1995
05-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I agree with Dusty playing Ludwick vs lhp because even though in a small sample size Heisey is batting .188 with 88 plate apperances but of those 88 at bats hes struck out 49 times in his career. Im ok with Heisey only playing against Rhp for now.

DirtyBaker
05-08-2012, 02:54 AM
I agree with Dusty playing Ludwick vs lhp because even though in a small sample size Heisey is batting .188 with 88 plate apperances but of those 88 at bats hes struck out 49 times in his career. Im ok with Heisey only playing against Rhp for now.

And for his career, Heisey hits righties at a .275 clip and his OPS is almost .300 higher. Ludwick doesn't hit lefties as bad, but he still doesn't hit them well - .237 average.

I'll defend the skipper on this one for once.

mu4103
05-08-2012, 04:01 PM

My only problem is that when Heisey was coming up in the minors, he was talked about as a possible platoon player only against lefties. The last two years his stats were heavily scewed towards hitting righties better. His minor league numbers are about even.

My problem is that Heisey lost a lot of weight over the summer and I think he is trying to adjust his swing accordingly - my suspicion is that if Heisey played against more lefties that you would see an improvement in his numbers. In 2009 when he was the Reds minor league player of the year he was at a similar size as this year.

I don't have a problem with them splitting time as neither of them have emerged, but I do have a problem with the overemphasis on match-ups with two guys that can hit both righties and lefties.

UPRedsFan
05-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Neither one of them is hitting period. Frazier should be getting some starts in left field, whenever he's not giving Rolen a rest.

It's time to play the hot bat while it's hot!!!!

OGB
05-20-2012, 02:38 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread just to say this, but I'm glad thhat Dusty took .183 hitting Ryan Ludwick and batted him 6th.

CWRed
05-20-2012, 04:01 PM
...and bats Hanigan 8th.

IamRV
05-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Ludwick

SPLIT TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs Left - 30 3 7 2 0 2 6 4 1 7 0 0 .233 .343 .500 .843
vs Right - 57 4 11 2 0 2 9 5 0 19 0 0 .193 .270 .333 .603

Heisey

SPLIT TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs Left - 20 1 5 2 1 0 1 2 0 3 0 0 .250 .318 .450 .768
vs Right - 74 4 19 4 1 0 6 3 0 18 1 1 .257 .295 .338 .633

herbdizzle
05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
If Ludwick begins to hit with any consistency at what point do we begin questioning Drew Stubbs playing every day? Sadly, even before today's game Ludwick had higher OBP and slugging than Stubbs. If Stubbs continues his K rate and can't hit better than .230, do we start thinking about a 3/2 platoon where Ludwick, Heisey, & Stubbs platoon LF/CF depending on matchups? Or, alternatively, does Stubbs become expendable in a trade for a pitcher or 3B?

read favorite
05-20-2012, 07:29 PM
stubbs should be a pinch runner only

IamRV
05-20-2012, 08:08 PM
The three spots (3B, LF, CF) should be a 5 man rotation. The only thing certain is that Costanzo should be starting vs. RHP and Frazier vs LHP. For the second and third spot in the triumverate vs RHP, it's a tossup between Heisey, Frazier and Stubbs so I'd lean Heisey - Stubbs for the D.

vs RHP
Costanzo minor league stats .365 - .450 - .558 - 1.008
Heisey .257 - .295 - .338 - .633
Frazier .220 - .289 - .463 - .752
Stubbs .225 - .285 - .350 - .635
Ludwick .193 - .270 - .333 - .603

Against lefties Frazier should start and any of the group of Heisey, Ludwick and Stubbs should/could start at the other two spots.

vs LHP
Frazier .400 - .400 - .800 - 1.200
Heisey .233 - .343 - .500 - .843
Ludwick .233 - .343 - .500 - .843
Stubbs .270 - .289 - .270 - .560

BluegrassRedleg
05-20-2012, 08:10 PM
If Ludwick begins to hit with any consistency at what point do we begin questioning Drew Stubbs playing every day?

Well, this is becoming an obsession for me, but I don't see how it should even require Ludwick proving anything. Stubbs has never proven he can hit... or be willing to change his ways in order to be a better hitter. Next guy up!

BluegrassRedleg
05-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Heya RV! #GBB :)

Captain13
05-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Now that Ludwick had a three hit day and a two game hitting streak will Dusty start playing him even more?

Who Dey Time
05-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Now that Ludwick had a three hit day and a two game hitting streak will Dusty start playing him even more?

Wouldn't shock me to see both Heisey and Ludwick in there tomorrow against a lefty. Bruce looks to be starting one of his notorious funks and could use a day. Maybe something like....

Heisey RF
Stubbs CF
Votto 1B
Phillips 2B
Ludwick LF
Frazier 3B
Hanigan/Mesoraco C
Cozart SS
Leake P

texasdave
05-21-2012, 12:16 AM
To me this is where a hitting coach earns his money. Bruce goes into a funk and Jacoby helps him back out.

Kingspoint
05-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Going into Sunday, Heisey was 10 for his last 21. It was just a matter of getting regular playing time. Getting regular playing time doesn't do any good for Ludwick. Stubbs is by far the better player over Ludwick, as is Heisey. Ludwick's a joke....about as much of a joke as Valdez, Rolen and that Willie character who was getting playing time before he was forcibly released.

The pieces were always here to win a World series. It's just that some of the puzzle pieces were put in the wrong places. Once Rolen went to the DL and Harris was released, things got much better. They got much better also when Heisey started playing every day along with Frazier. Now with Chapman Closing, the picture is basically complete. We're now a 1/2 game out, and hopefully, Rolen remains injured for the rest of the season.

lidspinner
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Jay Bruce does seem to be getting into one of those funks....problem is when he goes into one of those funks, Dusty lets him try and work himself out of it, might give him one day off and thats it but for the most part he runs him out there each game....and I am not saying he needs benched by no means, but when he is swinging at pitches like he has been and watching fastballs down the pipe like his name is Drew Stubbs then he needs to sit against lefties and allow Heisey to get some time in right and let Ludwick get his share of time in LF, not to mention that Luddy is hot right now, kind of.....but you cannot sit Heisey right now, and with Bruce as cold as he is, sit him against a LH....

Back to Jay Bruce.....I am no hitting coach so this is purely just me being a Monday morning Hitting coach from my recliner while i sip lemonade and eat junk food while watching Ax Men....but JB needs to learn to see and recognize pitches better.....I dont know how you get better at that cause most batting practices do not involve the pitcher throwing curves and sliders and off speed pitches....so I am not sure what he can do to get better at this but when he is in this funk, he swings at balls that are bouncing in the dirt, and I dont mean just one here and there against stud pitchers....he is doing it a lot....I would think that when you are in a funk like that, it would be wise to sit dead red and wait on that fastball, if it dont look like a FB then dont swing....maybe that is the 100% wrong approach but whatever he is doing is not working when he struggles...

its just frustrating to see a guy with Jays talent swinging at pitches that he couldnt hit with a 5 foot bat..