Ironman92
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
He's due up 3rd in the top of the 8th

Hopefully MLB Network shows it.

Ironman92
05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
They didn't show it.

4 HR....double....8 RBI

I am so thankful the Reds don't have him anymore.....

He stands a chance to bat in the 9th

Right now Mark Whiten's 4 HR 12 RBI and Shawn Green's 4 HR and 2 double games are better....that I've been around for.

brm7675
05-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Let's say we don't trade him...exactly how do you pay him and Joey and Bruce and Phillips?

New York Red
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Let's say we don't trade him...exactly how do you pay him and Joey and Bruce and Phillips?
If Josh is still here, Bruce isn't. Phillips probably isn't either.

New York Red
05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
They didn't show it.

4 HR....double....8 RBI

Right now Mark Whiten's 4 HR 12 RBI and Shawn Green's 4 HR and 2 double games are better....that I've been around for.
I went out tonight, so just getting home and learning of Hamilton's night. Unbelievable. If he can just stay healthy, he could put up numbers matching the greatest players we've ever seen.

KYRedLeg
05-08-2012, 10:03 PM

With the increased revenue that comes from a World Series championship?

Kingspoint
05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I wonder how many other franchises have traded away two future MVP's?

Kingspoint
05-08-2012, 10:10 PM
They didn't show it.

4 HR....double....8 RBI

Right now Mark Whiten's 4 HR 12 RBI and Shawn Green's 4 HR and 2 double games are better....that I've been around for.Didn't Green do his in Dodger Stadium? That's pretty amazing.

Kingspoint
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Dusty would bat him 7th behind Rolen.

Redsfansince72
05-08-2012, 10:14 PM
well Texas got the best of the deal with the Reds.. How much I wish back then they traded Dunn and not Hamilton.. :(

New York Red
05-08-2012, 10:14 PM
With the increased revenue that comes from a World Series championship?
Until this year, we didn't have the pitching to win a World Series. Bruce and Phillips would have been traded by now if the Reds were paying big bucks to both Hamilton and Votto (and Joey would be making less than he is now). Hamilton is a once-in-a-decade type of player, when he's healthy. The Reds can only afford to keep so many great players. Keeping one like Hamilton would mean losing two others, maybe three. Would we be better? Maybe, maybe not.

brm7675
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Okay how do u pay both Votto and Hamilton?

New York Red
05-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Okay how do u pay both Votto and Hamilton?
See my previous post. Votto would have had to take a pay cut, meaning he may not have been here either. Keeping Hamilton may have meant losing a few other players. We don't have the Yankees payroll.

R_Webb18
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
C Beltran hit 2 already. 1 in 1st. 1 in 2nd. so there's a chance.

Red in Atl
05-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Texas is the only place Hamilton can play. He uses his faith to help keep him clean. Dallas is the only big city where he can get the type of support he needs.

I think the Reds did him a big favor in sending him there, and I hope he continues to do well. The Reds front office felt that his special needs would be too much of a disturbance to the team, and I agree.

They needed pitching and they hoped for the best. Too bad Volquez wasn't it.

Kingspoint
05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
And, it's not like we didn't do well after we traded Frank Robinson. We went to the World Series in 1970, 72, 75 and 76 winning the last two times. We have the same chance to do something special, while not as special with the group of player that we have here having parlayed that trade into Matt Latos, securing Volquez, Votto, Bruce and Phillips. We just have to get rid of Rolen. He can't be hidden in this lineup. With the potential we have in Cozart and Mesoraco, and the reliability of Hanigan and our Relief pitching, we have nothing but positive hopes for many years to come, and we should see more playoff appearances, and advances to the World Series.

Jr's Boy
05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Texas is the only place Hamilton can play. He uses his faith to help keep him clean. Dallas is the only big city where he can get the type of support he needs.

I think the Reds did him a big favor in sending him there, and I hope he continues to do well. The Reds front office felt that his special needs would be too much of a disturbance to the team, and I agree.

They needed pitching and they hoped for the best. Too bad Volquez wasn't it.

As much as he's raking right now,the Reds could have afforded him 24 hour support.

malcontent
05-08-2012, 11:26 PM
No way around it.

Krivsky deserved to be canned for that trade alone. Doesn't matter that he acquired him in the first place. Just a horrible, horrible trade.

All those fears that Hamilton's body was somehow breaking down were completely unfounded.

Imagine Votto, Bruce and Hamilton in the lineup.

malcontent
05-08-2012, 11:28 PM
As much as he's raking right now,the Reds could have afforded him 24 hour support.
Yeah. Dallas has to have more temptations than Cincinnati.

malcontent
05-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Dusty would bat him 7th behind Rolen.
That's no joke, either. He'd have to "split them lefties up".

And you don't disrespect Mr. Baseball by dropping him to 7.

Watching Hamilton do this, and then watching Beltran go nuts, just bums me the hell out.

Seriously, who among us thought Pujols would leave for LA, pushing the Cardinals to sign Beltran?

Anyone with half a brain could see that a 10-year deal for a declining Pujols was going to be an Albertross of a contract.

Thanks a lot, Moronyo.

R_Webb18
05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
i would love him here still also but i dont think its that easy. to much money overall.

Krawhitham
05-09-2012, 12:33 AM

You don't pay BP, pretty simple

he is batting like .220 with 2 hr 9rbi 0sb in a month hitting cleanup after signing his contract

Krawhitham
05-09-2012, 12:36 AM
well Texas got the best of the deal with the Reds.. How much I wish back then they traded Dunn and not Hamilton.. :(

BP opening complained about Hamilton and Hamilton was traded

TeamSelig
05-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Someone really asking how we would pay for him? You pay for elite players.

R_Webb18
05-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Someone really asking how we would pay for him? You pay for elite players.

it does not work that way (for the reds)

R_Webb18
05-09-2012, 02:08 AM
i mean its not that easy

texasdave
05-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Even if the Reds were unable to pay Hamilton in the long run, if they had just kept him while he was affordable I am thinking they get a lot more in trade than Edinson Volquez for him. Say they keep him through 2010, his first arb year. What do you think they get back for him at that point? Of course hindsight is 20/20 and there was no guarantee that he wouldn't relapse. There was a risk involved to be sure.

Maldez
05-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Every time I see what Josh Hamilton is doing, playing like the second coming of Babe Ruth, I get sick thinking how we traded him away. Just sick.

malcontent
05-09-2012, 09:15 AM
BP opening complained about Hamilton and Hamilton was traded
Here's all I could locate:

During the 2007 season Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips grumbled to a reporter that there was more focus on Hamilton than on winning. Hamilton acknowledges that he sensed some resentment in the locker room from three or four players and says, "I didn't care. I went about my business, spending time with the fans, doing stuff that I was supposed to be doing and getting some [media] attention. They blamed what they were pissed off about on [Narron]. I think they were just jealous they weren't getting the attention."

Well, since Phillips has recently stated that he "loves the spotlight", I think it's fair to assume that there was some jealousy on his part.

And I totally agree, if it came down to it, you let BP walk. You'd have to pay the MVPs, and Bruce....if you could, that is.

malcontent
05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Every time I see what Josh Hamilton is doing, playing like the second coming of Babe Ruth, I get sick thinking how we traded him away. Just sick.
I know the feeling. When Voltron was dealing at least there was something to balance the loss.

But then he turned into a throw-in on the Latos deal....and now Hamilton is looking like a two-time AL MVP.

It's looking worse than the Robinson trade.

malcontent
05-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Just to add...the psychological issue (chance of relapse) may have been and may still be very real...but the fears of his body somehow "breaking down" were obviously patently absurd. I mean, look at the guy. And I would hope that the Reds' medical people didn't encourage that misconception and make it an issue for the FO.

Captain13
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
If the Reds had not traded Josh Hamilton would he still be a Red? Has his original contract expired? I like Josh and hope he does well, but can you imagine the lineup with him in LF or CF and Stubbs in the other?

brm7675
05-09-2012, 10:59 AM

Where would Bruce be? He is cheap, the player gone might have been Phillips and you know Votto would be gone..

brm7675
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
No way around it.

Krivsky deserved to be canned for that trade alone. Doesn't matter that he acquired him in the first place. Just a horrible, horrible trade.

All those fears that Hamilton's body was somehow breaking down were completely unfounded.

Imagine Votto, Bruce and Hamilton in the lineup.

HOw do you pay for that lineup? Votto is getting $200 million, Bruce is getting $60 million I think and Hamilton is going to get Votto type money. So the Reds would be playing 3 on 9?

Also Hamilton has had health issues, if you look back he has missed games I believe every season due to health issues.

malcontent
05-09-2012, 11:20 AM
HOw do you pay for that lineup? Votto is getting $200 million, Bruce is getting $60 million I think and Hamilton is going to get Votto type money. So the Reds would be playing 3 on 9?

Also Hamilton has had health issues, if you look back he has missed games I believe every season due to health issues.
Could be a lot worse. He's played 27 out of 30 games this year.

Averaged 125 games the last 4 years with Texas. And that's with that freak shoulder injury on a head-first slide into home.

Four-time All-Star. Career 0.926 OPS. I'd take him back.

But I'll admit the money could be a deal-breaker. I certainly wouldn't have extended Phillips, so there would be that.

brm7675
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Could be a lot worse. He's played 27 out of 30 games this year.

Averaged 125 games the last 4 years with Texas. And that's with that freak shoulder injury on a head-first slide into home.

Four-time All-Star. Career 0.926 OPS. I'd take him back.

But I'll admit the money could be a deal-breaker. I certainly wouldn't have extended Phillips, so there would be that.

Problem with Hamilton is he is 31, has off field issues but can flat out play. So...what is he going to cost someone? You can't give him a 10 year deal and reports are he wants more then 5. tough contract...

Grouse
05-09-2012, 12:20 PM
If Volquez would have paned out, we would have to pay him off also, so it does not matter. Mabey the worst trade in Reds history. Josh Hamilton is a bargan at what he is getting paid this year anyhow.

bmwreds31
05-09-2012, 12:47 PM
If Volquez would have paned out, we would have to pay him off also, so it does not matter. Mabey the worst trade in Reds history. Josh Hamilton is a bargan at what he is getting paid this year anyhow.

Exactly Finally somebody that sees the light.

Problem with Hamilton is he is 31, has off field issues but can flat out play. So...what is he going to cost someone? You can't give him a 10 year deal and reports are he wants more then 5. tough contract...

Its not a tough contract.

Worst trade in reds history by far. We had him for what another 2-3 yrs when we traded him for pennies on the dollar.

All the haters around here. Josh Hamilton is arguably one of the most raw talented players to ever play the game. He's an absolute phenom and if he would have played in his prime out of highschool instead of getting screwed up we would be talking about him breaking all time records and Hall of famer. The reds screwed up big time.

You ask how we pay for them. Do any of you asking know that the reds Ownership is one in the top 10 of the richest in MLB. We could pay for it. And they would pay for it because we would have a world series championship by now. Just like the rangers do. You remember what the rangers were like before they got Hamilton? They sucked. Just saying. Now they are dominate.

Tadasimha
05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
No guarantee that Hamilton would have developed into an MVP with the Reds had he stayed. He had two full season of working with Rudy Jaramillo, one of the best hitting coaches in the league after the trade.

Jaramillo's contract with the Cubs is up after this season - I'd love to see him working with Bruce, Cozart, Stubbs and Frazier.

malcontent
05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
No guarantee that Hamilton would have developed into an MVP with the Reds had he stayed. He had two full season of working with Rudy Jaramillo, one of the best hitting coaches in the league after the trade.

Jaramillo's contract with the Cubs is up after this season - I'd love to see him working with Bruce, Cozart, Stubbs and Frazier.
Hamilton's OPS by team:

Cincinnati: 0.922
Texas: 0.927

krm1580
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
When the Reds traded him I hated the deal, but its pretty much water down the drain for me at this point. You can't undo it so its not worth worrying about.

The other point I would make is even if the Reds did not trade Hamilton, they still had pitching issues to resolve and would have had to move somebody decent to get it. It seems incredibly unlikely we would have all three of Bruce, Votto and Hamilton given the circumstances at the time.

The other thing to keep in mind, as bad as the Reds got fleeced it could have been worse we could have been Tampa Bay.

bmwreds31
05-09-2012, 01:55 PM
The other point I would make is even if the Reds did not trade Hamilton, they still had pitching issues to resolve and would have had to move somebody decent to get it. It seems incredibly unlikely we would have all three of Bruce, Votto and Hamilton given the circumstances at the time.

Full of excuses to make people feel better about this trade. This quote makes no sense. We got rid of hamilton for a pitcher that sucked. And is not even on the team anymore. And here we are with our good pitching staff with who we acquired by not giving up any of our big names. . . . .

So i really dont get where this comment makes any sense.

New York Red
05-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Where would Bruce be? He is cheap, the player gone might have been Phillips and you know Votto would be gone..
I was just throwing names out there. The point being, if Hamilton is still here, a few other guys wouldn't be.

Ironman92
05-11-2012, 10:54 PM
16 HR
39 RBI

New York Red
05-11-2012, 11:29 PM
No way. He did it again!

New York Red
05-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Two tonight, and 17 in 31 games? Wow.

New York Red
05-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Eight HR in the last five games. :eek:

bigredmechanism
05-11-2012, 11:51 PM
This guy is a remarkable player. What he did at the home run derby put chills in me.

R_Webb18
05-11-2012, 11:57 PM
good player

New York Red
05-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Nooooo. They walk him.

TeamSelig
05-12-2012, 12:42 AM
At least we got Edinson for him.

bmwreds31
05-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Its just getting worse. . . Good god he's a phenom. 8Hr's in his last 17 AB's. Unbelievable.

On pace for 84 HR's in one season. lol

Ironman92
05-12-2012, 10:37 PM
18 HR
40 RBI

Was interviewed and asked if he's ever been this hot. He said the summer between his jr and sr year of high school he played legion ball and hit 18 HR in 17 games and batted .725

Ironman92
05-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Uh

2 doubles
9 HR
18 RBI

This week.

Ironman92
05-25-2012, 09:42 PM
RBI # 50 tonight

19 HR

Calten
05-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Flat out my favorite player in the game today to watch. The guy is simply amazing.

Shame it wasn't in the cards to keep him. Such is life.

malcontent
05-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Flat out my favorite player in the game today to watch. The guy is simply amazing.

Shame it wasn't in the cards to keep him. Such is life.
Yeah...at least we're not alone in sending Hamilton packing.

There were the Devil Rays.

And then, of course, the Cubs.

Just noticed the order of picks that year.

1 OF Ryan Goleski Tampa Bay Devil Rays Cleveland Indians
2 RHP Joakim Soria Kansas City Royals San Diego Padres
3 OF Josh Hamilton Chicago Cubs Tampa Bay Devil Rays Later traded by the Cubs to the Cincinnati Reds for cash considerations.
4 RHP Sean White Pittsburgh Pirates Atlanta Braves
5 RHP Alfredo Simon Baltimore Orioles Texas Rangers

malcontent
05-26-2012, 10:56 PM
What I can never quite figure is why did the GM savvy enough to acquire Hamilton almost immediately trade him away?

Especially when Reds fans loved the guy?