PDA

View Full Version : I tip my hat to Dusty today......

Vottomatic
05-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm an outspoken Dusty hater.

But I tip my hat to him today for doing what he usually doesn't do, which has driven me crazy. He replaced his closer, who was in serious trouble. In the past, I've watched the wheels fall off and Dusty just sit there like he was saying, "oh well, he's my closer and I'll live and die with him" when there were other options.

I've seen too many games where Dusty just chalks up a loss instead of fighting to pull out a win. He fought and did the right thing today.

:beerme:

hebroncougar
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM

But I tip my hat to him today for doing what he usually doesn't do, which has driven me crazy. He replaced his closer, who was in serious trouble. In the past, I've watched the wheels fall off and Dusty just sit there like he was saying, "oh well, he's my closer and I'll live and die with him" when there were other options.

I've seen too many games where Dusty just chalks up a loss instead of fighting to pull out a win. He fought and did the right thing today.

:beerme:

You know, I was getting ready to post the same thing. I am a basher as well, but he impressed me today. Glad he thought outside of old school thought.

VottoFan54
05-09-2012, 08:07 PM

But I tip my hat to him today

I agree. It was clear the Marshall didn't have his normal stuff and Dusty was smart enough to take him out. I also tip my hat to Ondrusek. That was a big spot, but he was able to pitch well in a tough situation.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I too give Dusty credit, however, part of me just thinks this is how he views Marshall (closer by default - which he is).

I(heart)Freel
05-09-2012, 11:54 PM
I wonder if Marshall needs much more work than closer duties demand in order to stay sharp. One wonders if the Reds can slip him back to his elite set up role and play the hot hand between the bullpen gassers to pitch the 9th.

marcshoe
05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Surprised to see him do it, but his comments after the game were spot-on. Getting the win was just too important.

It always is.

membengal
05-10-2012, 06:31 AM
I too give Dusty credit, however, part of me just thinks this is how he views Marshall (closer by default - which he is).

Doesn't mean he is wrong. I am also not sure he is the ideal closer.

icehole3
05-10-2012, 07:39 AM
I dont know why he didnt just leave Chapman in there he was over matching the Brewers

Caveman Techie
05-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I dont know why he didnt just leave Chapman in there he was over matching the Brewers

He pinch hit for Chapman in the top of the 9th with runners on base, he was trying to get some more runs across the plate. I had no problem with that. Marshall just didn't have it today and Dusty was smart enough to get him out of there before the game got out of hand.

oneupper
05-10-2012, 09:03 AM
I've never been thrilled with the closer concept, but much less with a lefty closer. Marshall supposedly deals well with righties, but still...Braun, Ramirez and Hart coming up is not a situation that calls for a lefty.

Billy Wagner could close and so probably could Chapman. But those guys throw 100 mph.

Ondrusek/Marshall as closer/setup according to situation would be much wiser, IMO.

CySeymour
05-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I agree...kudos for recognizing Marshall didn't have it. I still trust Marshall, but yesterday just wasn't his day.

lollipopcurve
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Agreed. Unusual move for DB and a welcome change!

Crumbley
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I was positive he was letting Marshall blow this game, could not have been more shocked when Big Seky was allowed to come in and save the day.

MikeThierry
05-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I have never been a huge fan of Dusty as a manager but I also feel that people blamed him in the past for too many things that were out of his control. That said, I always kind of like him as a person from afar, so I'm glad some heat is getting off his shoulders from the Reds fanbase.

Ghosts of 1990
05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Shouldn't have pulled Chapman to begin with there, but you're right. At least it wasn't a loss

hebroncougar
05-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Shouldn't have pulled Chapman to begin with there, but you're right. At least it wasn't a loss

So, you let Chapman hit, with two runners on base, in the top of the 9th inning?

Chip R
05-10-2012, 03:03 PM
So, you let Chapman hit, with two runners on base, in the top of the 9th inning?

Brilliant!

The Voice of IH
05-10-2012, 03:08 PM
He pinch hit for Chapman in the top of the 9th with runners on base, he was trying to get some more runs across the plate. I had no problem with that. Marshall just didn't have it today and Dusty was smart enough to get him out of there before the game got out of hand.

If Dusty really wanted to pitch Chapman in the ninth he could have.

Double switch. Put Heisey in left and bat him 9th, put Frazier at third base. then put in Chapman and bat him seventh.

It was not about getting more runs, it was about Marshall being the closer.

Caveman Techie
05-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Yeah I really can't fault Dusty for pinch hitting for Chapman there. It may have been different if the Reds would have been up by four or five, but with only a two run lead, you have to try to get more runs scored.

defender
05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
If Dusty really wanted to pitch Chapman in the ninth he could have.

Double switch. Put Heisey in left and bat him 9th, put Frazier at third base. then put in Chapman and bat him seventh.

It was not about getting more runs, it was about Marshall being the closer.

Baker did double switch, put Heisey in left and Chapman in Frazier's six spot. The top of the 9th started with with the 9 spot. When Baker made the decision (bottom of 8) it was a tie game. I am sure his plan was to pitch Chapman 2 innings if the game stayed tied.