PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Williams.... think before you speak

dougdirt
05-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Mitch Williams on MLB Tonight talks about how he knew that David Robertson wasn't going to be able to close because of his interview after the Rivera injury because of how he said "He will do his best, but he is no Rivera". Then takes a jab at how 'sabermetric people' say anyone can close, but this is proof that no, they can't.

Mitch Williams probably considers himself a closer. Mitch Williams blew his 2nd save chance, his 4th save chance, his 5th save chance, 7th save chance and his 8th save chance of his career.

I guess he wasn't able to close either.

Edskin
05-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Mitch Williams should know that "sabermetric people" have stats for everything.... and it just came back to toast him :) Good info!

Patrick Bateman
05-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Mitch Williams on MLB Tonight talks about how he knew that David Robertson wasn't going to be able to close because of his interview after the Rivera injury because of how he said "He will do his best, but he is no Rivera". Then takes a jab at how 'sabermetric people' say anyone can close, but this is proof that no, they can't.

Mitch Williams probably considers himself a closer. Mitch Williams blew his 2nd save chance, his 4th save chance, his 5th save chance, 7th save chance and his 8th save chance of his career.

I guess he wasn't able to close either.

FYI, the bulk of those (all but 2) were not in the 9th inning. He was for the majority in a set-up role where he was getting holds instead of save because of the situation. He wasn't blowing as many games as that suggests.

Notwithstanding, it's likely a dumb comment by Wild Thing, and proves nothing. Robertson would be fine given more opportunities.

dougdirt
05-10-2012, 12:57 AM
FYI, the bulk of those (all but 2) were not in the 9th inning. He was for the majority in a set-up role where he was getting holds instead of save because of the situation. He wasn't blowing as many games as that suggests.

Notwithstanding, it's likely a dumb comment by Wild Thing, and proves nothing. Robertson would be fine given more opportunities.

He was pitching multiple innings and getting save chances at the end of ballgames. Between his first save and his 5th of his first season, he blew 5 saves.

Patrick Bateman
05-10-2012, 01:02 AM
He was pitching multiple innings and getting save chances at the end of ballgames. Between his first save and his 5th of his first season, he blew 5 saves.

It's an obviously different era... the comment at face value isn't really comparable.... but I agree with the overall pint.

brad1176
05-10-2012, 08:48 AM
I can't believe they actually put Wild Thing on TV and allow him to speak. Not that I could do any better on TV, but surely MLB Network could find someone better.

05-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks for posting that. I never would have known about it otherwise, since I always turn the sound down when Mitch speaks. I think just listening to him talk about baseball kills my brain cells. Lol

Funny thing, I knew Williams would be a bad closer, which he was, after one of his early Cub games. He had just blown a save, and was literally crying after the game over it in the locker room.

The key to being a closer is to have a short memory, to not take it personally, to not be cocky. I actually think Robertson's comment made him sound more like a closer, not less like one.

_Sir_Charles_
05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
So I take it you guys don't put much stock in the idea that there's more pressure in the 9th and that it takes a certain type of personality to handle that pressure?

bucksfan2
05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
So I take it you guys don't put much stock in the idea that there's more pressure in the 9th and that it takes a certain type of personality to handle that pressure?

Its kinda ironic but I was listening to the game yesterday and was getting a little nervous in doing so. I was doing nothing but listening to the game, not pitching, not in attendance, not even watching. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think the pressure isn't higher in the 9th than any other inning.

When it comes to closing I revert to what actual closers have said.

Nasty_Boy
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
When Mitch was calling a day game on MLB Network between the Reds and the Rockies in 2010, he said that Johnny Gomes was a RH version of Joey Votto... I've never taken anything he said seriously again.

Always Red
05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I've often wondered why this guy has a job at the MLB network.

I generally change the channel when he starts pontificating.

OesterPoster
05-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I've often wondered why this guy has a job at the MLB network.

I generally change the channel when he starts pontificating.

I agree. Last night was Dan Plesac and Ron Gant, who I enjoyed. Williams really thinks he knows everything, and every decision or opinion he states is correct.

TOBTTReds
05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm sure his head was nodding and shaking a lot while talking. That alone annoys me to the point of switching stations. Thankfully he is usually on after 11pm.

dougdirt
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM

I think there is more pressure in the 9th, of course. But no, I don't think it takes a certain type of personality to handle that pressure. I think it takes a certain type of personality not to be able to handle that pressure. Most guys can handle it. A few can't. Two games isn't enough to show that someone can or can't.

_Sir_Charles_
05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I think there is more pressure in the 9th, of course. But no, I don't think it takes a certain type of personality to handle that pressure. I think it takes a certain type of personality not to be able to handle that pressure. Most guys can handle it. A few can't. Two games isn't enough to show that someone can or can't.

I agree whole-heartedly that 2 game isnt' enough to know diddly-squat. But from what I've seen, heard & read, it does take a certain mentality to close. I've got no experience with it as my pitching prowess topped out in Jr. High.

RedsManRick
05-10-2012, 12:18 PM

It's very possible that exists. It's quite impossible to determine that based on a guy's performance in 2 games

I also think that:
1.) Generally speaking, guys who lack the mental fortitude to handle the 9th inning never make it to the majors in the first place.
2.) There are many 9th inning situations that are less stressful than situations in the 7th and 8th innings.