PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Can Do It All

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Ask Phillips to do anything on the field and he'll likely get it done. That two out insurance rbi, followed by a steal while Bruce was up, was very pleasing to me. He simply made contact on a slow swing and hit it where the defense was not. Had the Brewers done the same in the 9th, they'd have tied or won. It reminded me of an Ichiro or Jeter moment, just get the job done.

He comes to the park to beat you, as Marty would say. And that's been the case since 2006. He's done it a number of ways. Speed, power, lead off, cleanup, defense, attitude, bunting, base running, opposite field, situational hitting...you name it.

And although he's got a ton of natural talent, he's worked for almost every aspect of his game. I can't think of one thing he's good at now that he wasn't worse at earlier. He works hard. He's a very smart ball player. Of all the uncertainty that surrounds long contracts, you want a player that's worked hard and has made many adjustments to stay effective, and that's Phillips. Talent + Hard Work + Competitiveness + Smarts.

PuffyPig
05-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Ask Phillips to do anything on the field and he'll likely get it done. That two out insurance rbi, followed by a steal while Bruce was up, was very pleasing to me. He simply made contact on a slow swing and hit it where the defense was not.

I like Philips a lot, but that hit was quite a bit more luck than design.

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 07:14 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_05_09_cinmlb_milmlb_1&mode=video

See it your way. I, and the announcers in the video, saw it as design.

Vottomatic
05-10-2012, 07:22 AM
I like BP alot. But I think you went a bit overboard with your praise.

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Did I log into brewerszone.com? Hahaha

Nasty_Boy
05-10-2012, 07:40 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_05_09_cinmlb_milmlb_1&mode=video

See it your way. I, and the announcers in the video, saw it as design.

If he can do that by design, stick him in the leadoff spot and tell him to do that all the time.

He did a great job of putting the ball in play on a tough pitch, but the result of the play was pretty lucky.

He's a very good player that can do a lot of things to help the Reds win, and I'm glad the Reds have him... but he's been a little frustrating in the early going. Maybe its the hamstring or the pressure of the contract, hopefully the hits he had during the Brewers series will get him going.

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Look, it's no way to make a living, but he pretty intentionally swung slowly to make contact and serve the ball into the outfield. It was situational. He's been scuffling at the plate, maybe that's why he didn't try to kill the ball.

Frankly, I've seen players like Furcal, Ichiro, etc do this in the past and it's surprising to me that Chris Welch and I are the only ones so far that have said it was intentional. I didn't listen to the radio, did those guys make it sound lucky?

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 07:58 AM
I forgot to mention in the opening that Phillips plays though injury like no other Red I can think of, or know of. He hates not playing, I guess. He's also tougher than most, though, so credit BP there as well.

GO BRANDON PHILLIPS! YOU RULE!

05-10-2012, 08:34 AM
We create our own luck. Most hits are a combination of luck and skill.

That was an extremely tough pitch and Phiilips used as much skill as humanly possible to turn it into a hit. If he uses a normal swing, it's far less likely he reaches base safe.

oneupper
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I forgot to mention in the opening that Phillips plays though injury like no other Red I can think of, or know of. He hates not playing, I guess. He's also tougher than most, though, so credit BP there as well.

Not something I like about Phillips. He will play badly injured and hurt the team. Case in point September 2010, when he didn't go to the DL despite a bad hand injury and OPS'ed like .400 because of it.

Dan
05-10-2012, 08:39 AM
We create our own luck. Most hits are a combination of luck and skill.

Two lessons I've learned about luck:

First, when a person gets lucky over and over again, it isn't luck, it's skill. BP's hit was skill.

Second, everyone gets about the same amount of luck, so if that's what you're relying on, it all will even out in the long run. The key is to be as skillful as possible so you can capitalize on the good luck and minimize the effects of bad luck.

Nasty_Boy
05-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Look, it's no way to make a living, but he pretty intentionally swung slowly to make contact and serve the ball into the outfield. It was situational. He's been scuffling at the plate, maybe that's why he didn't try to kill the ball.

Frankly, I've seen players like Furcal, Ichiro, etc do this in the past and it's surprising to me that Chris Welch and I are the only ones so far that have said it was intentional. I didn't listen to the radio, did those guys make it sound lucky?

I think you're giving him way too much credit... He was fooled on the pitch. He didn't swing "slowly", he was out in front and kept his hands back just enough to make contact. His approach was not to swing "slowly"... The lucky part was hitting the ball on the barrell to give it just enough to get to the grass. This isn't taking anything away from him because this happens to all hitters every once in a while... This just isn't a skill and if it were, then it would be foolish for him to not do this more often.

Nasty_Boy
05-10-2012, 08:48 AM

First, when a person gets lucky over and over again, it isn't luck, it's skill. BP's hit was skill.

Second, everyone gets about the same amount of luck, so if that's what you're relying on, it all will even out in the long run. The key is to be as skillful as possible so you can capitalize on the good luck and minimize the effects of bad luck.

I have never seen BP repeat this "skill"... It happens time to time with every player. BP has stuggled to start the season, why doesn't he use this "skill" to get himself going? There is nothing wrong with being lucky and picking up a Texas Leaguer every now and again... But to think he does this on a regular basis as a skill is in no way the truth.

REDREAD
05-10-2012, 09:25 AM

I agree with you. Phillips tried to do it.

Can any player do that with 100% success? Of course not. But Phillips maximized his odds of making it happen. It's smart baseball.

Phillips is a key player on the Reds and I'm glad the Reds were able to extend him.

lollipopcurve
05-10-2012, 09:41 AM
If he uses a normal swing, it's far less likely he reaches base safe.

Agreed. You see Votto do the same kind of thing w/ two strikes (as Phillips had) pretty often. Fooled by the pitch and unable to check their swing, they adjust to keep the barrel of the bat in the hitting zone, even if it looks ridiculous. A lot of times, hitters will just give up on the pitch and swing on through, conceding the strikeout.

Vottomatic
05-10-2012, 09:54 AM

One thing I've learned about luck.

I don't have any. :(

elfmanvt07
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Agreed. You see Votto do the same kind of thing w/ two strikes (as Phillips had) pretty often. Fooled by the pitch and unable to check their swing, they adjust to keep the barrel of the bat in the hitting zone, even if it looks ridiculous. A lot of times, hitters will just give up on the pitch and swing on through, conceding the strikeout.

The thing to remember, though, is that Phillips hasn't always done this. I think that anything BP has lost due to aging, he's made up for with increased plate maturity. A younger, more athletic 2008 Brandon Phillips would have swung through that pitch.

RedsManRick
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
I think these sayings are appropo:

Luck is the residue of design.
Fortune favors the bold.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Luck almost never happens in isolation. But on the flip side, success is rarely a product of effort alone.

PuffyPig
05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
One thing I've learned about luck.

I don't have any. :(

Sure you do, it's just all bad....

05-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I think these sayings are appropo:

Luck is the residue of design.
Fortune favors the bold.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Luck almost never happens in isolation. But on the flip side, success is rarely a product of effort alone.

Great summation :thumbup:

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Not something I like about Phillips. He will play badly injured and hurt the team. Case in point September 2010, when he didn't go to the DL despite a bad hand injury and OPS'ed like .400 because of it.

Fair point, but Dusty should know this and make the decision too. The nice thing is too that at least he's still good with the glove. That was a special time in a special year, I wonder how it would be handled this year if the Reds were in first down the stretch. The drop off at 2b is pretty significant, although hitting .400 OPS isn't helping much.

mdccclxix
05-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I have never seen BP repeat this "skill"... It happens time to time with every player. BP has stuggled to start the season, why doesn't he use this "skill" to get himself going? There is nothing wrong with being lucky and picking up a Texas Leaguer every now and again... But to think he does this on a regular basis as a skill is in no way the truth.

I didn't say he does this all the time. It's the first I've seen it, really. I watched it some more and with the way the bat goes limp on contact, it confirms to me he meant to stay soft with the swing. His check swings are strong. He even aims those check swings like Votto does. He's a great batsmen with great wrist control, it shouldn't surprise anyone that he could succeed in serving a fastball into shallow CF.

Again, no way to make a living, but it was intentional and situational. The lead was secure, top 9, man on second, just need a little dinker to add insurance. It was brilliant, really. I'd like to see players do this more often. There's a lot of real estate out there.